2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Dec 032010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2005 Jeep(with my 2 year old daughter in the back)on a Friday evening my dashboard lights and headlights went nuts. They flashed on and off for about 30 seconds and it was pitch black-I was going about 60mph. I decided to take it really slowly but keep on driving, I had issues earlier this year with some shifting module.I really get freaked out about this stuff when my daughters in the car but it was fine for the rest of the weekend.then Monday comes. I was on the highway doing about 70mph when it happened again. This time it was not my front lights but it was the dashboard again for about 2 minutes. I called Chrysler because I have a power-terrain warranty I thought it my be covered. But I need to pay to have it diagnosed-not easy in December right before the holidays. The other problem is a "pop" or "lock" when I'm driving. It seems to be coming from the back. Almost like the brakes locking"?"and again have to pay to just have it diagnosed. What happen to the public calling and explaining the issue and the tech saying"oh I know what that is"or "yea sounds like your blank is loose" I just bought this not even 2 years ago and already dumped over $1000 for parts. It seems like a lot of others are having these issues. Diamler Chrysler should recall these issues for safety purposes.

- Northfield, MA, USA

Aug 242010

Grand Cherokee

We own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the vehicle was 2 years old and at 35,000 miles the check engine light came on indicating the transmission control module. This was replaced under warranty. My husband was kind of concerned that they had the part in stock for a two year old vehicle but we had it fixed and went on. Now it is three years later at 89,000 miles and the same part needs to be replaced. They want us to pay 750 to have it replaced. We filed a case with Chrysler and they want us to have it diagnosed for $89 at their dealer and then they will discuss whether they will help pay for it or not. There are many other people on the web that have had the same issues. Our car will light up all the gears when you are driving down the road and will not shift properly due to the engine not understanding what gear we are in. I do not want to have to worry that they fixed it and helped us this time but in 2-3 years we have to do this all over again for the same part. The gentleman my husband first talked to at the dealer we consulted before talking with Chrysler stated that he has also replaced this same piece in his Chrysler 300 twice. I have also seen on the car forums that the Jeep commander is doing the same thing and there are numerous complaints out there about the 05 Jeep Cherokee. I would like to know why Chrysler continues to put this part that is obviously not working in their vehicles. This is causing issues for the cars and I am not convinced I want another Chrysler product. The gear shift should not be having parts replaced. I have been around many vehicles and never had this type of problem. I do not understand why a recall or something hasn't been done on this particular part. Why would they not find a new way to do this type of gear shift that doesn't fall apart in two years of driving. This is a family vehicle. This is not a race car or even a 4WD. I just want to get help in case others are still dealing with this.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Aug 032010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The vehicle stalled while driving 60 mph. Periodically the contact had to drive the vehicle to the side of the road, turn it on and off and it would then restart right a way including resetting of the computer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the vehicle needed a shifter control and a transmission module. The cost for the repairs were $1425. The Jeep manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 75,600.

- St Charles, IL, USA

Mar 042010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has numerous times over the last 5 years experienced sudden unexpected throttle surge. No accidents have resulted so far. This happens frequently and now friends with the same model car but different years have also experienced the same.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Feb 222010

Grand Cherokee

The bezel assembly malfunctioned by the gear shift sleeve bunching, which prevented the gear shift from staying in "drive". without any physical manipulation, the gears shifted from "drive" to "neutral".

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 092010

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep at car wash. Putting Jeep from park to drive Jeep went into high rev and struck car six feet in front of it. I have been involved with four of these and have special instructions for anyone handling these very unsafe vehicles.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jul 182009

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Cherokee while idling jumped form park to reverse, hitting another parked car, also knocked the owner to the ground while trying to stop the vehicle.

- Milton, FL, USA

Dec 062008

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo automatic with hemi engine. Several times, I had the vehicle suddenly accelerate when changing gear from park to drive or reverse. Fortunately, I always had my foot firm on the brake pedal and that prevented the vehicle to launch and cause damage to surroundings. This happened several times since 2005 when I purchased the vehicle. I took this vehicle to dealer for service and reported this problem, then I checked the internet and found that this is not a single case.

- New Hope, PA, USA

Dec 072008

Grand Cherokee

Unintended acceleration of my Jeep. I had it in park. I put my foot on the brake shifted to drive and the car accelerated with my foot still on the brake I shifted to neutral, the car continued to race for a few seconds. This is the third time it happened in 2 years.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Nov 102006

Grand Cherokee 4WD

The dash board computer fails twice and information panel says brakes failing. Also transmission failure leading to sudden deacceleration from 40 to 20 mph and RPM shot up from 2 to 6.

- Keego Harbor, MI, USA

Dec 032004

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle's shift lever became stuck in park. A new module was ordered and installed along with the broken shifter cable and shifter.

- Washington, DC, USA