2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Aug 032013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle was parked and I attempted to start the vehicle. The car was operating properly 3 minutes prior to attempted starts. The first attempt, the engine fired up and revved up but immediately died. Subsequent attempts were similar. After about 4 or 5 attempts, there was a large rattling noise and the engine became impossible to start. After towing the vehicle to a mechanic and having them open up the engine, we found that the valve seat had dropped out from the cylinder heads and must have caused the engine to operate incorrectly. The valve seat had shattered into many tiny pieces, which most likely caused the rattling noise. Upon investigation I have found that the valve seat dropping out is a common issue on the 5.7L hemi engine in my Jeep as well as other vehicles manufactured by Dodge and Chrysler. This is unsafe and should require the immediate action of Chrysler to recall these vehicles and permanently fix the problem with their valve seats.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jun 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

On June 11, 2013, I pulled into a convenience store parking lot. I put my (2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee) in park & got out (the engine was still running). After a moment or so, my Jeep started rolling forward. It rolled between the fueling islands & it was headed towards the street. My Jeep hit a yellow pole & that stopped it from rolling into the street. (the yellow pole is a safety pole that protects the fire hydrant). I am 100% confident that I put my Jeep in park before I got out of it. I was shocked & scared when I saw it rolling down the lot. I filed an accident claim with my insurance company. The damage was around $6,000. My deductible was $500. Today, (August 13, 2013), I received a safety recall notice from Chrysler. The reason for the recall is the "final drive controller module software may unintentionally cause the transfer case to shift into the neutral position without input from the driver. This condition could allow the vehicle to roll away inadvertently while the vehicle is parked and cause a crash without warning." I was (and I still am) 100% confident that I put my vehicle in park before I got out of it. What are my options at this point" my insurance company paid the claim & I paid my deductible. Now, my insurance rates will go up. Who should be responsible for this? how do I proceed"

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 302013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and down shifted independently. The check engine light was also illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle to a local mechanic, who stated that the transmission was defective. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) but did not call the manufacturer or take the vehicle to a dealer. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Oct 132012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that while driving up a hill at 35 mph, the vehicle shuddered upon acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the transmission fluid and then informed the contact that the torque converter clutch needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V396000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to call NHTSA to file a complaint. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Nov 292012

Grand Cherokee

This has happened a lot. While driving all the intrument lights will flash, causing the ac/heater to turn off and on, headlights to go off, and traction control to turn off. Twice recently the vehicle has shifted itself into reverse with the gear selector still in drive. I have taken it to a shop and they went through the entire electrical system and could not find a source for this problem. All Jeep owners I have talked with (over 30) have this exact same issue. This is extremely unsafe and Jeep needs to be held responsible.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 212012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Car made a whining noise at 35-45 M.P.H. bought new tires and alignment. It turned out to be the rear differential. It was rebuilt for $1200. One week later it made a higher pitched whine. A Chrysler employee told me that beginning in 2005, Chrysler outsourced for cheaper bearings, and they were defective. He said they are no longer made. A whole new diff and axles had to be installed for another $2800. It still whines at all speeds now. Chrysler said "live with it!', and expect it to fail repeatedly. The case had been set wrong at the factory as well. There are hundreds of these cases on-line, but Chrysler refuses to acknowledge them.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Jul 092012

Grand Cherokee

While driving for about 30 minutes, the gears changed from drive to the 3rd gear. Transmission reves up and the check engine light comes on. After coming to a stop, and restarting it, it sometimes goes back to drive mode, but reverts back to the third gear, displays "3" and stays there. Took it to a mechanic, could not fix. Dealer claims no recalls for this problem, but online blogs show plenty of people with the same problem. Help.

- Rockville, MD, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the check engine light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer advised the contact that there was a manufacturer's recall for the transmission tube oil seal but the recall could not be performed due to an extensive back log. The contact stated that the repair had exceeded a reasonable time frame. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 94,000.

- Mission , TX, USA

Mar 162012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (first incident) while turning a corner at approximately 15-20mph revved up, would not shift, and prnd were all lit up on the dash, as well as the engine light came on. After a few starts the engine light has gone off. Second incident, from dead stop at a light and accelerating, same issue. Engine light goes off again. This has now occurred 4 times within 2 months and is a safety hazard considering the fact that your speed drops down out of no where and can potentially cause a serious accidents, causing harm to car a drivers, especially behind you, them not being aware that you are suddenly about to drop speed without brake lights!

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Grand Cherokee

Sometimes when I drive the engine feels like it stalls out and my RPM's don't move, all the boxes around prnd light up and the check engine light comes on. I have to pull over and put the car in park or sometimes I have to turn it off. Once this is done the car continues to drive like nothing happened but the check engine light will stay on for a day. Sometimes it happens on the highway which is very scary to just drop speed down to 40. I have read many blogs about this issue. It happens at random times.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Dec 142011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

When we put the car into reverse there was a rough jerk. We then put the car into drive but it was stuck in 3rd gear. The engine light is on. The car won't drive in anything but 3rd gear now and still jerks everytime we shift from park to reverse or drive.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that there would be a burning smell released inside of the vehicle. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified, and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V396000 (power train:automatic transmission). The contact was denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Verona, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Grand Cherokee

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee started acting up about a year after I purchased it and has progressively gotten worse and worse. It has problems shifting and identifying what gear it is in on a daily basis, for example when I put it in drive from park prnd will all be illuminated like it doesn't know what gear it is in and it will make a loud thud sound. Then when you drive it won't shift from first gear and will rev up or it will get stuck in 3rd gear and won't down shift. Sometimes it will be driving normal and when I stop at a stop sign and then go to pull out into traffic it will stall right in the middle of traffic and I can't get it to snap out of it! it will also decide that it doesn't know what gear it is in while I am driving on the expressway and will start to rev up and freeze on me. This is very unsettling and dangerous and could defiantly cause a serious accident. From what I have read in other reviews many people have this same problem with their 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee so it doesn't seem like just a coincidence to me and something should be done. I have taken it to different mechanics and no one can give me an answer as to whats wrong or how to fix it.

- Grand Rapids, OH, USA

Dec 202011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact was driving approximately 50 mph when the vehicle activated in overdrive and caused the vehicle to shake violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised the contact that the transmission torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him that he was over the mileage for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V396000 (power train:automatic transmission). The failure mileage was approximately 115,000.

- Dennison, OH, USA

Dec 082008

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle 8/9/08. At this time only problem we was you had to press clock button for radio to work. During 2008 we noticed a lot of odd behavior in electrical areas. October 29, 2009 brought Jeep to used car dealership with these complaints: First check engine light started coming on, then it began flashing, door chime starts dinging, illuminated areas dim & brighten-flashing, dashboard lights go crazy flashing on & off, interior lights turn on & off, transmission lights go crazy & need to shift down in order to get vehicle to drive, headlights & tail lights flash on and off which is very unsafe while driving on a dark highway at night. Used car dealership had car towed to Jeep dealership in new london. These repairs cost $500.12 for faulty crank sensor, sensor crankshaft, spark plugs, leak at trans electrical. August 17, 2011 took to a new dealership w/ same problems. Went to valenti Jeep in mystic, ct. Was advised junction block needed to be replaced and codes in multiple modules reset-this cost $318.52. September 10, 2011 back to valenti Jeep for same problems & for install. Of junction box costing $249 because of installation costs & other items we were advised to take care of. Meanwhile as a warning this all begins after check engine light starts flashing. By September 28, 2011 it begins again: At this time check engine light & all other lights start up again, along with fact that you can now pull key out & vehicle is still running. Blinking dash lights, ac on & off, gauges drop to 0, told only reason this is happening is because we have remote start system they don't use. Tech reset system & disconnected our remote start system at a cost of $90.40. Then by October of 2011-approximately, check engine light has returned & transmission lights are blinking. Also headlights started flashing & tail lights. These issues are very sporadic.

- Ledyard, CT, USA

Jul 062011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I believe this recall applies to my vehicle. I have the V6 and same transmission it affected over 100,000 vehicles. A mechanic looked at the vehicle and confirmed the leak and shutter of the torkconverter. I bought the vehicle around the date of the recall issued and perhaps the dealership did not perform the fix prior to sale. Please help I don't want my car to go on fire. Recall id # 05V396000 - power train:automatic transmission recall date: Sept 14, 2005 component: Power train:automatic transmission model affected: Grand Cherokee units affected: 101925 summary: On certain sport utility vehicles equipped with 3.7L engines and nag1 automatic transmissions, the air conditioner evaporator condensate water may enter the transmission at the fill tube grommet seal. This can result in shudder during torque converter clutch engagement. Consequence: It can lead to increased transmission operating temperatures, boiling of the water, and a subsequent purging of transmission fluid into the engine compartment potentially resulting in an underhood fire. Remedy: Dealers will inspect the transmission for leakage at the fill tube grommet seal. If no leak is detected, a new fill tube grommet seal and water deflector shield will be installed, and proper alignment of the fill tube verified. If the presence of a leak is detected, the vehicle will be evaluated for shudder during torque converter engagement. If no shudder is detected, the transmission will be triple flushed, and new fill tube grommet seal and water deflector will be installed and proper alignment of the fill tube verified. If shudder is detected, the torque converter will be replaced, a new fill tube grommet seal and water deflector will be installed, and proper alignment of the fill tube verified. The recall began on October 31, 2005.

- Lake Wylie , SC, USA

Dec 222010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle would stall and downshift. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for examination. The dealer stated that the oil dip stick seal on the transmission was allowing water from the air conditioner evaporator to enter the transmission. The contact found the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V396000 (power train:automatic transmission) and notified the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that the VIN number was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 95,231.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Nov 022011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Sometimes this vehicle acts as though it is stuck in its lowest gear. If I let the vehicle cool off for 3 or more hours it acts fine upon restart. I have found a transmission recall but don't know if it is the same problem.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2005 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer states several problems with vehicle including electrical, brake system issues, battery failure, alternator failure, 3 broken stems and repetitive issues with a transmission filter the consumer stated the transmission problem would often leave him stranded. The transmission would often cause the vehicle to lurch forward or backwards when the transmission finally engaged. The vehicle has stalled at intersections while making turns which caused the consumer to lose steering ability.

- Centerville, MA, USA

Dec 032010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2005 Jeep(with my 2 year old daughter in the back)on a Friday evening my dashboard lights and headlights went nuts. They flashed on and off for about 30 seconds and it was pitch black-I was going about 60mph. I decided to take it really slowly but keep on driving, I had issues earlier this year with some shifting module.I really get freaked out about this stuff when my daughters in the car but it was fine for the rest of the weekend.then Monday comes. I was on the highway doing about 70mph when it happened again. This time it was not my front lights but it was the dashboard again for about 2 minutes. I called Chrysler because I have a power-terrain warranty I thought it my be covered. But I need to pay to have it diagnosed-not easy in December right before the holidays. The other problem is a "pop" or "lock" when I'm driving. It seems to be coming from the back. Almost like the brakes locking"?"and again have to pay to just have it diagnosed. What happen to the public calling and explaining the issue and the tech saying"oh I know what that is"or "yea sounds like your blank is loose" I just bought this not even 2 years ago and already dumped over $1000 for parts. It seems like a lot of others are having these issues. Diamler Chrysler should recall these issues for safety purposes.

- Northfield, MA, USA