2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Feb 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that when shifting to the four wheel drive low position the four wheel drive maintenance service light illuminated. The contact had not experienced a safety incident related to the defect. No further information was available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 142014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) and had the recall remedy performed on the vehicle however, the transfer case actuator failed shortly after the repair. As a result, the vehicle would not engage in four-wheel drive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transfer case actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer informed the contact that the remedy part was on back order. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 182014

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, took in in my dealer in Aug, 2013 for a safety recall (N23). First time I tried to shift it into neutral, it flashed a "service 4WD system", and would not shift into either neutral or 4low. Jeep forum, with 70 pages and hundreds of comments on this problem, looks like the recall software update is the problem and Chrysler has not yet owned up the issue. Meanwhile, I cannot use my vehicle as intended. My dealer says I need a $500 part, but others have had that replaced and still have the same problem. There are about 2,000 transfer case actuator motors on back order to correct this problem; however, many who have had this part replaced still have the same problem. The new part is not fixing the issue, Jeep needs to replace the final drive control module and the transfer case actuator motor.

- Show Low, AZ, USA

Dec 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After the dealer performed the N23 firmware update on the transmission to keep the Jeep from in volunteering to shift into neutral, we cannot shift the transfer case into neutral or 4 wheel low without banging on the actuator motor, part # 5143786aa. This "fix" is not successful now. The Jeep recommended fix seems to be to replace that part but it's back ordered by !,700 units. We need to be able to tow our Jeep behind our motorhome in late feburary back to Washington from AZ and this cannot be done w/O replacing that part which is not available. We have contacted Jeep customer service and they have assigned a case manager. Not clear what will happen next.

- Sequim, WA, USA

Sep 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Dealer ship did the N23 recall for NHTSA id# 13V175000. Since recall procedure was done, transfer case won't operate properly. Cannot shift into 4-low or shift transfer case into neutral for towing behind another vehicle. No satisfaction from Chrysler to repair the damage done by the recall. Vehicle cannot operate properly in off road or inclement weather situations.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Aug 082013

Grand Cherokee

Chrysler sent out a letter for the N23 recall. I had the recall performed and now have no 4WD low as well as many others. The local dealership has tried replacing my actuator twice knowing that the recall had messed it up. Someone needs to stand up at Chrysler and figure this out. There are many of us with this problem. Most might not even know bc they probably do not use their 4WD low.

- Nlr , AR, USA

Nov 142013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I took my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee in for the N23 recall in October 2013 and all seemed good. On 11/14/13 I attempted to use my 4WD lo and I received a message service 4WD. After searching the web I came across numerous people with the same problem after having the recall performed. I then took it back to the dealership to have them redo the recall and all was working good. On 1/6/14 I again received service 4WD, back to the dealer I went. This time I was informed I needed a new transfer case motor and that it would cost me $800 to replace and they are back ordered for 3 or 4 months. I am not the only one that is having this issue and more can be found here: www.jeepforum.com/forum/F67/N23-recall-issue-no-4-low-1561787/. by the sounds of it there is a cracked pc board in the transfer case. Instead of Chrysler actually fixing the problem correctly, they just issued a software work around, a band aid fix is what I think of. Chrysler needs to be held responsible for this issue. I even called Chrysler Corp. And was transfer to a voice mail where I left a message in November and I have never heard back from them.

- Caro, MI, USA

Dec 162013

Grand Cherokee

I had to take the vehicle in for a recall since I received several notices, it was recall N23. This caused a safety issue when I could not shift into 4lo on a steep slippery muddy hill. Prior to the recall the vehicles transfer case functioned properly however now it is not and the manufacturer has claimed that it is a separate part that broke. However one dealer indicated that it was due to a faulty flash of the recall. This seems to be a widespread problem and I do not want to be charged to fix an issue that was caused by a recall.

- Boise, ID, USA

Dec 052013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

We had the recall done on the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005. They reflashed the ECU that controls the ability to shift the Jeep into neutral in order to tow behind motor home. After the recall we had trouble 3 times with the Jeep either not shifting from neutral to drive or from drive to neutral. The last time this happen the Jeep was stranded as my wife could not pull it behind the motorhome. Ultimately I had to go to Florida and we drove the motorhome and Jeep back separately. I contacted the dealer about this and at this point I do not have confirmation that this will be fixed as part of the original recall. Since this appears to be a common problem I, based on internet searches, I believe that Jeep should fix the vehicle even if it is out of warranty. I intend on taking the Jeep back to the dealer this week and if I do not get satisfaction I will file additional complaints. I would hope that the NHTSA would force Jeep to repair the issue.

- Jefferson City , TN, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Jeep is performing N23 recall for fdcm on wks. Software fix is broken. Recall is forcing component replacements, further flashing, and locked 4WD-lo vehicles. They are denying N23 recall is problem. I do not believe this is a single occurrence. Please see: www.jeepforum.com/forum/F67/N23-recall-issue-no-4-low-1561787/ (these are only those who have mentioned it, and out of those the ones who use 4WD frequently.) want to crack down on a failed recall, this is a good one...

- Novi, MI, USA

Aug 232013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). Immediately after the repair was performed, the vehicle would not function in the neutral gear. The vehicle was taken to three different dealers where the actuator was replaced and reprogrammed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,402.

- Larkspur, CO, USA

Dec 012013

Grand Cherokee

While driving on the freeway, the vehicle suddenly shifted itself into 3rd gear. Paddle shifting was inoperable and vehicle will up or down shift. Error codes given are P0700, and P0406. Problem seemed to resolve after restarting vehicle, but then shifts again after a couple of minutes. Now vehicle stays in 3rd gear permanently. Fluid levels ok, guessing it is electrical/computer related issue based on internet research. Taking to dealer soon to have final drive controller new software installed based on recall #N23. Hoping it is related to that issue.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Dec 072013

Grand Cherokee

After we had the following recall done. Report receipt date: May 07, 2013 NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 component(s): Electrical system, power train the vehicle has failed to be put into 4 wd neutral or visa versa, not allowed to be put into drive. We tow behind my motorhome. It happened the first time we tried to tow it, it went into neutral but would not come back out easily. After ~1/2 hr of trying I was able to get it to go back into drive. I took it back to the dealer he could not find anything wrong. About 3 weeks later after pulling it behind the rv and then trying to put it back into neutral it would not go into neutral, took it to a different dealer who reran the flash on the final drive. It worked fine for about a month. No it has happened a 3rd time while my wife was on a trip, she cannot get it back into neutral. I have read of other people having the same problem after the recall, which indicates the recall is causing the problem. I doubt that the dealer will repair for free so I think the NHTSA should require the dealers to repair the problem as part of the original recall.

- Jefferson City, TN, USA

Oct 082013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in and repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). After the recall repair, the service four wheel drive warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the transfer case motor failed and needed to be replaced. The contact performed the repair however, the transfer case motor failed approximately one month later. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 56,420. Updated 02/27/14 the consumer stated the transfer case motor was replaced 3 times.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Nov 282013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I recently took my Jeep into the dealer service center to remedy the last recall pertaining to the software flash of the final drive control module. The day before I took my Jeep in I had used the 4 wheel drive low. My Jeep showed no symptoms of the recall and had no proper incidents yet I decided to take it in to have the task completed to avoid any future problems. Since the day I took it in (10/5/2013) I had not used my 4 wheel drive low until thanksgiving day. When I went to use it the transfer case did absolutely nothing and the message "service 4WD system" appeared on the dash. I have asked the dealership to take a look at it and have gotten nowhere expect to be treated rudely and have them extremely resistant to looking into the problem. Without even looking at my vehicle they kept telling me that the issue I am experiencing had nothing to do with the flash as they claim the flash affected the transmission park position sensor. When I read the tab "N23" it precisely names the transfer case as the affected component. Please help. Please!

- Monaca, PA, USA

Nov 232013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I am getting a check engine light about the vehicle selector module it also has on many occasions no engages into gear like it was stuck in neutral even when the shifter is moved back and forth now it seems to not engage into gear for some time and at first start of take off seems to not be fully engaged I saw a recall about the control module already but when I went to the Chrysler site and plug in my VIN it doesn't show any recalls.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 232013

Grand Cherokee

We bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and use this vehicle to tow behind our motor home from that time until the present. This requires that the transfer case be shifted into neutral before towing. We have had no problems with this shifting procedure for all of the years that we have owned this vehicle (mileage 67000) until we had a safety recall from Chrysler (N23/NHTSA 13V-175 reprogram final drive controller module) preformed on August 23, 2013 by our dealer, the first time we attempted to shift the vehicle into neutral after the recall repair was on September 12, 2013. The neutral shift procedure would not work since this happen right after the recall service work, the service manager decided to reset and reprogrammed the fdcm and it worked. No repair parts necessary. The shifter worked normally for three more times. On November 5, 2013 while on a trip the same shifting failure occurred. Th the dealer replaced the transfer case shift motor. I donżżT know if they reprogrammed or reset the fdcm. Total expense to us was $790 for the repair. It worked two more times. On November 18, 2013 the shifter once again failed. The error code once again indicated that the shift motor needed to be replaced, the same one that was replaced. Since that part had just been replaced the dealer did another computer reprogram and the problem went away. The charge for this procedure was $ $47.40. I have called the Chrysler group recall assistance center, every time the shifter failed and every time they state that it couldnżżT be an issue with the recall since it was only a software change to correct a neural shifting problem. How could that cause a problem shifting into neutral? I believe Chrysler owes all owners with this recall problem a real fix and reimbursement for all expenses due to this faulty recall.

- Larkspur, CO, USA

Oct 212013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I wanted to let you know about a possible safety issue. I own a 2005 Jeep Cherokee limited and the 4 wheel drive transfer case went out while we were camping in myrtle beach. It could be driven so I drove to the Jeep dealership there and they said it the transfer case and it was on major back order and they couldn't give me an idea of when it would be done. When we arrived home in manning, SC, I brought the Jeep to stokes-craven Jeep in manning. They told me there are more than 550 transfer cases on back order and they were not sure when they would arrive. After they looked at the part, it was making a lot of noise so it couldn't be driven. I asked the service manager if this was a recall item since there were so many on back order and he said there wasn't at that time. I called Chrysler and asked the question about recall and only got an answer about the part, which they didn't know when it would be available. Could you check to see if this should be an item that should be subject to recall? perhaps you can get some straight answers. I know there was a recall regarding the transfer case in may that required a software update and that update was done. Thanks

- Manning, SC, USA

Aug 202013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train).the contact noticed that after the recall service, the gear failed to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where repairs were made, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Ukiah, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated in February 2011, she parked her vehicle overnight in her garage, after having driven it throughout the day without problems. When she started it the next day, the gears would not engage. She spoke with a mechanic, who suggested the transfer case was in neutral. Subsequently, the vehicle was towed to a nearby transmission shop. They ran a diagnostics and the codes indicated the transmission was faulty. Based upon their recommendation, she had the transmission replaced.

- East Tawas, MI, USA