2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 37 of 41)

Nov 132013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My car would not start and it is unknown as to the reason for why this is happening. The battery is fine, alternator and all tests are just fine. This is not the first time this has happened and this happens randomly with no reason (at hot or cold temps). The mechanics are unable to find a reason for this. There is no cranking when this happens but all lights both inside and out are working. Need answers!! as I can no longer be stranded in different locations.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Oct 292009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, she noticed that the entire instrument panel illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer five times. In 2009, the instrument cluster was replaced and the failure recurred three months later. The vehicle was not recently repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 23,994.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Nov 272009

Grand Cherokee

The sunroof/moonroof does not set appropriately when closed and causes water leak and subsequent water damages. This also leads to the drainage lines to clog up and causes water to backup into sensitive electrical components within the roof. My maplight and homelink buttons along with the sunroof engine and buttons have all failed to operate as a result of water damages. Please request a recall on this as there is a database of consumers with similar complaints.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 012009

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Instrument cluster lights all light up at the same time. Speedometer and RPM indicator drop to zero. Then all instrument cluster lights go out completely. This keeps occurring at 10sec to 10 minute intervals. Vehicle has to be stopped, and turned off for the problem to go away. Next day, same thing all over again. A quick search of the internet reveals that this is not an isolated incident. The vehicle has been in to the dealer several times, at a cost of hundreds of dollars. The dealer tells me this is not a known problem. There is a current recall for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee for this exact same problem. In 9 years Chrysler has still not managed to fix the problem. They deny there is a problem on my vehicle, but accept that the exact same problem exists on the 2014 model? this is a dangerous situation for which Chrysler should be held responsible. A recall is required to the thousands of Jeep Grand Cherokee prior to the 2014 model that are experiencing the same issue.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Aug 202013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train).the contact noticed that after the recall service, the gear failed to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where repairs were made, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Ukiah, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the engine hesitated to start and the ignition made a clicking noise. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic to have a diagnostic performed. The starter and the ignition switch were replaced; however the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,500 and the current mileage was 121,200.

- Fairfield , OH, USA

Jun 302013

Grand Cherokee

Intermittently, all lights flicker off and on. Affected lights included external lights including headlamp, front & rear marker lights, lic plate illum; plus the internal lighting that included guages, dashboard panel lighting, etc. Flickering headlights were serious distraction to motorists ahead of me and approaching, causing one other vehicle to go off the road. This Jeep only has a little over 40K miles. After researching similar incidents online, owner ordered and replaced the turn signal multi-function switch assembly (mf switch), which cost $89.99 from advanced auto parts. After replacement of the mf switch, and reassembly of the steering column cover over the mf switch, then reconnecting the battery and a test drive, the problem appeared to be corrected. After over a month of driving subsequent to repair, the problem has not recurred. Chrysler-Jeep ought to be alerting customers of this common problem and replacing these defectiive mf switches to prevent incidents. Since there are numerous complaints, the manufacturer could be culpable and liable. Owners can do this repair themselves, but you need to get the right part for your options, as well as a couple of special screwdrivers that have the star type heads.

- Manassas , VA, USA

May 052013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was neither repaired nor diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Peragould, AR, USA

Apr 052012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I began to notice some unexplained acceleration and deceleration. While driving, when the vehicle should downshift, I could feel a bump and noticeable hesitation. That gradually worsened to become major fluctuations in the RPM while both accelerating and decelerating. For instance, while steadily engaging the gas pedal to accelerate, the vehicle sometimes feels jumpy, does not accelerate smoothly, and if you look at the RPM's they jump up and down by 500 - 1000 rpms. Also, while coasting to a stop, when I am not braking but just allowing the vehicle to roll to the stop from say 45 mph, the same jumping occurs with the rpms. This sometimes causes the car to lurch forward if the rpms flare at a near stop, and once, as I was pulling out of my driveway, I stopped at the bottom of the drive but the engine flared and pushed the car out onto the roadway by about a foot. Eventually, this RPM issue began causing stalling. When I would stop at a traffic light, the engine would jump, and then the rpms would drop to zero and the engine would stall. Sometimes after just a few attempts I could restart. Twice I needed towed. My regular mechanic was able to replicate the stalling and saw and felt the RPM flares. He found no mechanical issues and suggested it was a computer issue and directed me to a dealership. 2 dealerships could find nothing wrong and sent me away with no fix. So, my regular mechanic did a computer reset which seemed to solve the problem temporarily. Reset was at 66,000 miles. Now at 72,300, problem is again becoming pronounced. I am getting nowhere with the dealerships and I'm honestly frightened driving this car. I cannot trust the car to accelerate or decelerate properly and I can't be sure the engine won't stall in traffic.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Feb 152013

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep has been slipping into neutral since February 2013. It caused me to have an accident because I couldn't get out of the way of rear-oncoming traffic. No major damage was done thankfully! a few weeks later I experienced a rollaway. I went into the sitter to pick up my son. After about 5 minutes of being inside I my Jeep roll across the street! I go running outside, opened the door and pulled up the emergency break...just missing an embankment! since the "neutral" thing started I have had several service lights come on. My mechanic performed a diagnostic check and he said its all electrical. Also, I've had issues with the front passenger window going up/down slower than the rest of the windows since 3 months into purchase. Other issues are cracked door handles (both front doors), replacing taillight kit, ac switch-a few times as it would only work on high.

- Murdock, FL, USA

Jul 152012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, all the warning lights illuminated and the gauges failed to provide accurate readings. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Twin Lakes, WI, USA

Jan 302013

Grand Cherokee

The electrical system has a mind of its own. On some occasions all the dormant indicators simply light up (tire inflation, check engine, seat belt ect) at other times we lose total electrical on the interior and dash. We lose fuel gauge, heater fan, dash lights, radio ect. Then it comes back to life. Even the best mechanics cannot find a ghost. Jeep has a problem and they better acknowledge it fast or someone will die. I have seen the same problem described by many, many owners. They cant all be crazy.

- Utica, NY, USA

Feb 052013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Exact same scenario.... traveling down the road, stopped at a light and car went into limp mode with the esp mode disabled lit up on the dash. Car was idling at just under 2K RPM and would not accelerate. Car normally idles at just under 1K RPM. With my foot on the brake the car wanted to drive forward, light turned green and let off the brake, I was doing 20mph without my foot on the gas. I pulled over and shut the car off, restarted and ran fine for a day. Next day I broke down 5 times coming home from work. Car would run fine and all of a sudden I would feel a power surge in acceleration and I knew it was coming, next stop light car would start to idle funny and light turns green, no power. No matter how hard I smashed the gas pedal, rpms would not move from just under 2K. I shut the car off, restarted and took off like normal. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out and im taking statements from this page to show the dealer that there are many people having this problem and cannot fix it.. I am positive Jeep knows about this problems and will not admit to it. Hey if we have enough people can any say "class action law suit""??? oh yeah remember I said I have video of this??? because everyone said dealer could not replicate the problem or figure it out" I also have a 15,000$ paper weight in my driveway that's worth no more than 400$ at the local scrap yard. I've had to many problems with this Jeep and this is the last straw. Jeeps are junk, and remember "its a Jeep thing", you wouldn't understand. Yeah they are right on that, I don't think anyone understands!!! I also have recorded video of this if anyone from Jeep wants to contact me.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Jeep will not crank. Lights come on and stereo works but only clicks when the key is turned. Jumper cables did not fix the problem.

- Shavertown, PA, USA

Aug 212012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start after several attempts. The contact was able to start the vehicle by having the battery jumped. The contact also stated that the failure recurred intermittently and the battery was prematurely drained. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 89,900.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Nov 292012

Grand Cherokee

This has happened a lot. While driving all the intrument lights will flash, causing the ac/heater to turn off and on, headlights to go off, and traction control to turn off. Twice recently the vehicle has shifted itself into reverse with the gear selector still in drive. I have taken it to a shop and they went through the entire electrical system and could not find a source for this problem. All Jeep owners I have talked with (over 30) have this exact same issue. This is extremely unsafe and Jeep needs to be held responsible.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 062012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle will not idle when hitting the brakes at a stop sign or traffic light or coming to a complete stop resulting in a rear end collision. From the vehicle not maintaining a normal idle position.this is a danger to the vehicle occupants and anybody else on the road.Jeep is aware of the problems and have not come up with a solution for the customers.I have seen this same thing reported to the NHTSA onrecord a million times and will see this issue gets addressed if I have to call a senator that is a good friend of mine somebody is going to answer for this! to read the amount of complaints that have been reported to the NHTSA and nothing has been done is unacceptable and I can assure you the NHTSA better investigate this immediately. This pertains to Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 V8 4.7 liter motor found in 57% of all Jeep that were built. You can go to youtube and see this in a video of this happening and its also on the Jeep forums web site posted a million times.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Jan 122010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

First the locks stopped working properly along with the key. Next the vehicle failed to start with only a click and then nothing occasionally it would start and then happen again at the next destination. Have taken it to the dealer on 10-12 occasions and have had a starter replaced. It happened the next day. I have seen online several hundred instances of the same thing some worse than others. This is a common problem that is rendering these vehicles useless owners are all told the same thing "never heard of it, yet if one searches, you will find several times its the same issue this is unsafe the vehicle shut off at 45 mph on time and it cannot be trusted and no one can seem to fix this common problem help.

- Machias, ME, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that the failure would occur sporadically and that she had to wait several minutes before she could restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ECM was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 128,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Indiannapolis, IN, USA

May 152012

Grand Cherokee

I was driving the 2005 Grand Cherokee that we puchased and on the second day after purchasing the car at 80,000 miles the interior and exterior lights started flickering on and off and all the emergency light would come on. We took the vehicle back to the dealer we purchased from told them about the problem, so they ran a diagnostic on it and drove it and could find nothing wrong. Now recently the problem started to worsen as my wife drives the car at night with our 3 year old daughter in the vehicle the light are flickering on and off then completely going blank and not coming back on. This is very unsafe and dangerous to have a vehicle that the headlights go off when needed especially driving down the dark roads of Texas. Something absolutely needs to be done immediately about this problem, everytime I take the vehicle to shop cant ever find anything wrong. This issue is putting my family and other family's at danger. We depend on our vehicle to be reliable and safe. I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem and that it was an electrical problem but it is obviously a defect on these 2005 vehicles. My vehicle is now at 90,000 miles and the issues have got worse. Chrysler needs to do something about this immediately before is results in a fatality.

- Tomball, TX, USA