2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 062016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep jumps to third gear randomly, and it ends up jittering and shaking. My car got stuck so many times and ended up being stalled on a busy highway and almost got into an accident. I was once parked and had shifted to drive but instead the Jeep suddenly jumped to 3rd and my car started to go backwards and ended up hitting another car behind me. I had to pay the guy $500 and also got all the fluids and oils changed in hopes of getting this fixed, but to no avail. Yesterday, I spent $450 on these fluid and oil changes only to have the problem continue. Thousands of people are having the same issues and Jeep has no answers. You guys need to do a total vehicle recall since Jeep has no answers. Many people can die from this defect. I have a video to prove the car jumping to third and all the issues I just described.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 272016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle completely shuts off while driving, with 4 attempts by the dealership service, vehicle continues to shut off while driving.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Oct 182016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 160,000. The VIN was not available.

- Redding, PA, USA

Aug 242016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the engine malfunctioned when starting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle had a faulty wireless control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- New Britain, CT, USA

May 222015

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle was being driven on the highway and the engine shut off. This has happened other times when the vehicle was stopped at a stop light. The car needed to be shut down and restarted to go again in all instances.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not shift into correct gear when accelerating from a dead stop. Tops out at 3,000 rpms at 60mph. This is an intermittent problem. But will at least happen 2 times a day. When it happens you have to pull over and shut off the engine off and restart. This most likely will fix the problem. This is very dangerous when in traffic. This typically happens when you stop at a traffic light and start to take off. I had the censers changed in the transmission but didn't fix the problem. The vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it. It is getting worse every day know.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

May 122016

Grand Cherokee

While I was driving on a main road, my car completely shut down. My steering wheel was locked, gas and brake petal were not working, basically my car was going on its own. Worst part was that it was going on a slant while other cars driving 45/50 miles per hour heading towards me. I could not stop my car, nor drive my car, nor try and steer myself to a safe location. My car just kept going. Something needs to be done. I have almost lost my life 2 times already. I do not feel safe driving my vehicle. Everytime I go to Chrysler... they do not know what to do or what is going on. When will this be fixed and how?

- Washington, MI, USA

Jun 152013

Grand Cherokee

Well they say third times a charm...or will it be death? the first incident happened when I was alone in the vehicle as I was making a left hand turn across traffic my Jeep just shut down leaving me powerless..by that I mean nothing no steering no breaks no nothing! thank the gods there was no oncoming traffic at the time. The second time was a bit more nerving as my 6 year old son and myself were on the highway keeping up with the 65-70 mph flow of cars, SUV's & tractor trailers when all of the sudden my engine power just slumbered off to a crawl. If I had been in one lane over and 3 seconds behind we would not be here today to tell this unsightly story! again thank the gods for looking over us or it would be another statistic on the road and another young child left without a mother (my daughter that wasn't with me at the time)so I ask how many must die or get injured before manufactures man up to their mistakes? the loss of money is nothing it can be replaced but lives can not!!!

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Grand Cherokee

Jeep shudders during engagement /acceleration. Ac evaporator condensate water causing shuddering in vehicle. Vehicle appears to want to shut off at stop light, RPM's drop drastically and shudders at take off

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Apr 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after a few minutes. The contact was able to drive home; however, the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was towed to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 292015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact coasted to the side of the road and was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine gasket and the cover needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 149,000. Part distribution disconnect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 162015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle without any warning, stalls, loses power, will not accelerate, loss of power means loss stearing and braking. This has occured three times, almost resulting in catastrophic accidents.

- Bostic, NC, USA

Jun 132015

Grand Cherokee

A few weeks/months after the purchase of my Jeep about 2 years ago, I noticed that my cruise control had stopped working and the ABS light had come. I checked my fuses and relays and they were ok. Then a day or so later I was driving on the interstate and my check engine light and my brake lights came on. My Jeep then seemed to downshifted itself. It felt as if the transmission had locked up, it slowed to about 30mph and would not shift onto another gear. I pulled over killed the motor. After a few attempts to drive it, I turned the key over and noticed the break and engine lights were off so I attempted to drive home and was sucessfull. This started to happen more and more often. I noticed that it mainly happened when either I was running my ac or it was wet/raining outside. I then started researching Jeep problems and recalls. I came across the daminoncrysler recall no. 13. the recall had described the issue I was having, so I researched my VIN and it staled that the recall no. 13 has already been completed on Jeep. Now my Jeep is stuck in limp mode and will not reset. It will not shift and the ABS, brake and engine lights stay on. Is there a way to find out exactly what service did they did when it was recalled in 2005 (if any)? I dont know what to

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Jul 032015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed a burning odor coming from the engine compartment. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that there was engine oil all over the engine compartment. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Butte, MT, USA

Dec 012009

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While approaching a stop, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 01/27/16

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at night, the exterior headlights, the instrument panel, and the tail lights became inoperable. Also, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a power interruption. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Bubois, PA, USA

Jun 142015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician could not locate the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Oct 032015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While operating the vehicle, the engine would suddenly shut off and would not immediately restart. Once the engine was restarted, the vehicle would operate normally. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was received in July of 2014. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The failure mileage was 65,000. The consumer stated her husband went to start the vehicle. The engine turn on, but within seconds it shut off and went into accessory mode. Her husband turned the key to the off position and proceeded to re-start the vehicle. The engine stalled a second time. Her husband turned the key to the off position and re-started the vehicle after waiting several seconds. The consumer stated it wasn't the first time, the vehicle stalled. Updated 12/17/15.

- Parker, CO, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While operating the vehicle, it vibrated and shuttered. On several occasions, the ignition switch failed and the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 230,000.

- Palmerton, PA, USA

Sep 122014

Grand Cherokee

I have had issues with this vehicle recalls P73 and 41 for over a year. The truck has been sitting in my driveway for a year!!! I have notified Jeep numerous times, and yet the part has not been produced. I have been left with no car for 1 year. I have had to pay for uber, taxis, rentals, buses, trains, and have walked everywhere due to this recall. It has drained my battery. Jeep has not once compensated me. Every time I call, they say next month. This had been for one year now! the car lost power while driving on the interstate on 66, 395, and 495 interstates. What is it going to take for Jeep to do something? I had one rep said we'll reimburse me, how are you going to reimburse me, for a part that's not even in production. I reported this issue to the Jeep dealer where I reside last year about the lights flickering and the please fix the electrical brake system error, the refused, because they stated, they never saw it. I was told I can rent a car for them, on my own dime for $40 a day!! I shouldn't have to when it's Jeep's recall. I have lost out on jobs, because of transportation. This is really serious.

- Fairfax, VA, USA