2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 012010

Grand Cherokee

Sometimes when I drive the engine feels like it stalls out and my RPM's don't move, all the boxes around prnd light up and the check engine light comes on. I have to pull over and put the car in park or sometimes I have to turn it off. Once this is done the car continues to drive like nothing happened but the check engine light will stay on for a day. Sometimes it happens on the highway which is very scary to just drop speed down to 40. I have read many blogs about this issue. It happens at random times.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Mar 042012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

This is a 5.7 hemi engine with 62200 miles. I had driven into a 7-11 parking lot and almost came to a halt deciding whether to park on the right or left. Decided to park on the right. Car was at around 2 miles per hour, lifted my leg off the accelerator to hit brake, when the car suddenly accelerated, climbed over the sidewalk, sliced and felled a tree and rammed into a laundromat. Brake was applied to the point of literally standing on it with whole body weight but car did not respond. Finally the car came to a halt although engine was making revving sounds for a few more seconds. Luckily nobody was inside the laundromat. Air bag did not deploy even though the front was badly damaged. Police report was filed. Cop was also surprised air bag did not deploy for this hard a crash. The car has been owned by me since new for 7 years and this has never happened. Insurance sent a special technician to check, but nothing could be found. Car is more than likely totaled at this point. Please do something about this, someone can get badly injured for life, or deaths can occur.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Grand Cherokee

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee started acting up about a year after I purchased it and has progressively gotten worse and worse. It has problems shifting and identifying what gear it is in on a daily basis, for example when I put it in drive from park prnd will all be illuminated like it doesn't know what gear it is in and it will make a loud thud sound. Then when you drive it won't shift from first gear and will rev up or it will get stuck in 3rd gear and won't down shift. Sometimes it will be driving normal and when I stop at a stop sign and then go to pull out into traffic it will stall right in the middle of traffic and I can't get it to snap out of it! it will also decide that it doesn't know what gear it is in while I am driving on the expressway and will start to rev up and freeze on me. This is very unsettling and dangerous and could defiantly cause a serious accident. From what I have read in other reviews many people have this same problem with their 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee so it doesn't seem like just a coincidence to me and something should be done. I have taken it to different mechanics and no one can give me an answer as to whats wrong or how to fix it.

- Grand Rapids, OH, USA

Dec 212011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was at a complete stop when it surged forward and crashed into another vehicle. The transmission, slippage, and various other warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel after the failure. During the failure, the contact applied the brakes but the vehicle continued to surge forward. The contact suffered major back injuries as a result. There were major damages to the front end of the vehicle and the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The dealer could not diagnose the failure, but the vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Kirkland, IL, USA

Jul 312011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owned a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that as she entered a parking space at 2 mph with the brakes partially depressed, there was sudden acceleration and the contact crashed into the front of a store and accelerated through the store. The brakes were applied during the failure but the vehicle did not respond. Once the vehicle crashed through the front of the store, the rear tires continued to spin uncontrollably. The vehicle was damaged on the left side bumper, the windshield and the roof. The air bags did not deploy. All three occupants in the vehicle sustained neck and back injuries. The dealer had the vehicle towed to the manufacturer who inspected the vehicle and could not find the cause of failure. A police report was filed. The failure mileage was 51,000. Updated 11/16/11 updated 11/30/11

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Oct 232008

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has been stalling on me. I looked on youtube and there are other owners with same situation. It has stalled on me and my fiance about 10 times in traffic and at sudden stops. I was going 40 miles an hour on a busy street and it just died in the middle lane. I know Chrysler had a recall or bulletin on the newer ones but this is more wide spread then they would like to attest to. There are several other complaints of same situation just type Jeep stalling on google and you will see. I was almost in a collision recently and need this resolved please help.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Apr 252011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 2 mph, the vehicle surged forward until crashing. A police report was filed and the driver was reported injured. The fire department also appeared on the scene due to smoke emitting from the engine. The vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop where the vehicle was not examined for the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Canton, OH, USA

May 092010

Grand Cherokee

Tla* the contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at relatively low speeds, the contact applied the brakes and the vehicle abnormally surged forward crashing into another vehicle. One of the vehicle occupants was injured and a police report was filed accordingly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnosis of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 81,000. Updated 11/03/10.

- Sumpter, SC, USA

Nov 022009

Grand Cherokee

In my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, while traveling on a congested road, approx. 25 mph, I took my foot off the gas to slow down. All of a sudden, the vehicle accelerated on its own. Luckily, foot was on the brake hard. I attempted to tap gas pedal with other foot several times while trying to fight through traffic without crashing. I attempted to ease up on brake pedal while trying to pull car over, tapping on cruise control button, making sure that was off. In a state of shock, I actually turned the ignition key off, but the vehicle remained going. Soon after, I was able to reach the side of the road with the vehicle still wanting to accelerate and foot still on brake. This terrorizing episode lasted for under a minute before it ended as suddenly as it started. Due to the shock, I didn't realize I should have put the car in neutral. After a few minutes, I drove the car home very slow and cautiously, still shaking. I did not notice gauges on dashboard at time of the incident. The next morning, the car was towed to dealership. Diagnostic testing, test driving. No codes, no incident replicated. Throttle system checked and cleaned. No diagnosis found, suggest to change floor mats. I have driven vehicle for four years, no complaints. This is the first incident which scared the heck out of me. Vehicle has 37,500 miles on it. Having to pay for diagnostics and towing, we still do not know if it will happen again. My wife and I are both scared! hopefully, it won;T repeat itself.

- Jessup, PA, USA

Dec 212008

Grand Cherokee

On Dec. 21, 2008, while driving down ih-35, my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee suddenly and uncontrollably started accelerating. I felt the pedal leave my foot, and pin to the floor. I tried tapping it a few times, then applied the brakes with no result. I had to shift into neutral and pull over onto the shoulder, where I watched my RPM gauge pin at 6000 RPM for approx. 30 - 45 seconds. It finally went back to normal as I was bringing it to a stop in order to turn the car off. This is the 3rd and most severe time in 6 months this has happened.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Jun 112008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While attempting to park the vehicle, the contact depressed the brake pedal and the engine revved very loudly. The vehicle then surged forward six feet. There was no crash. The vehicle was serviced by the dealer for this failure one year earlier. The vehicle is currently being diagnosed by the dealer. The speed was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 10,500.

- Capron, IL, USA

Apr 062008

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I own a car wash in belvidere, il and on 4-6-08, we had a customer bring their 2005 Jeep Cherokee in, we put it in out tunnel and ran it through our automatic wash in neutral, and at the end of the tunnel a driver got in, put the Jeep in park..started it, and the Jeep took off racing down a ditch and onto a major street. The vehicle came to a stop when the driver crashed it into a cement light pole. The Jeep is totaled, and there were no injuries, but it came close to running over four customers that were standing, waiting for their cars to be done. This is the second time this has happened with this same Jeep an another wash facility. This is the second one we have had at out site in two years. Help!!

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Jun 112007

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While trying to stop, while my foot was on the brake pedal, the engine started racing and was not able to stop, I ended up hitting the car in front of me, 2 car passengers went to the hospital with minor injuries. Contacted Jeep and car was checked by factory expert at local dealer, nothing defective was found with brakes. This has happened 2 times before this accident. Fortunately, I was able to stop. Also I had to replace all 4 rotors with less than 18,000 miles, complained to Jeep and was told that rotors are normal wear and tear item and how long they last depends on your driving habits. I just heard on tv that there is a recall for brake failure, contacted Jeep and was told no, there is no recall at this time. Please let me know if there is a recall on 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee for brake failure. Eq-10203460-4200. Date received 12/12/07 New Jersey police report. Updated 12/12/07

- Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Jun 172006

Grand Cherokee

2005 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer states that his vehicle was involved in an accident at a car wash in which the vehicle suddenly accelerated injuring three people. The consumer stated there are 400 cases of Jeep Cherokee sudden accelerations. The consumer stated there was gentleman who died in an earlier accident involving sudden acceleration. The attorneys office in Connecticut claimed they filed a request for an investigation for that specific incident and no such action was initiated. The consumer stated three months later he was involved in a similar incident at a carwash in minneapolis, mn. The consumer stated 3 individuals were injured, 2 critically, one passenger remains paralyzed a year after the accident. The consumer wants to know how many more incidents will happen before something is done. The consumer stated he will do whatever possible to make consumers aware of the problem.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 272006

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving between 25-65 mph, the vehicle accelerated approximately 3 mph faster without warning. The failure occurred intermittently. The dealer inspected the vehicle, but was unable to make any repairs. The manufacturer stated that the failure was normal. The current mileage is 20,058 and failure mileage was 4,108.

- Greenbay, WI, USA

Jun 172006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Saturday, June 17, 2006 my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee was involved in a sudden unintentional acceleration incident. Upon leaving a local car wash it suddenly accelerated, flying out of the building, smashing into three vehicles. It struck three individuals critically injuring two. Three transported to hospital. One remains paralyzed.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 242007

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Car accelerated rapidly on four separate occasions without touching accelerator. Despite pressing hard on brake pedal, car engine sped up and spun two wheels making black tire marks on pavement. Now at dealer for diagnosis.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Mar 082007

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Exiting car wash Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 running and in neutral was put into drive and it accelerated out of the wash with no brakes, went through 2 parking lots and into park and pulled emergency brake to come to a stop.

- Saginaw, MN, USA

Apr 012006

Grand Cherokee 4WD

: the contact stated in April 2006, the vehicle accelerated on its own nearly causing an accident. The service dealer determined the computer system that runs the transmission was the problem. The computer issue allowed the transmission to leak improperly. Also, in October 2006 the vehicle stalled at 30 mph due to all the electric in the vehicle failing.

- North Haven, CT, USA