2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 272012

Grand Cherokee

My car was recalled by Chrysler under P41/NHTSA 14V-438. That was in July and I just called the dealer and they still don't have the part. How much longer do I have to wait?

- E.Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 092014

Grand Cherokee

Loss of power while driving, wont shift, no cruise control, brake lights on, . this happens at lest one a week.

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Oct 042014

Grand Cherokee

I was parked in a parking lot with the engine idling and the Jeep in park, with the emergency brake engaged. After approximately 5 minutes, the engine suddenly revved up and my Jeep surged forward, striking the car parked directly in front of me. I pressed hard on the brake and the Jeep surged forward again before the engine died and the Jeep stopped. The E-brake was still engaged, but the gear, which had been in park, was now in drive. At no time did I come into contact with the gear shifter.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 042012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The air bags light comes on and stays on, the fuel system light comes on and stays on. When checked by mechanic was told some sort of sensor. The speed control does what it wants it can go from 45mph to 20mph and the vehicle tries to cut itself off I have to immediately put it in neutral to prevent that from happening.

- Gulfport , MS, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee

Placed vehicle in reverse and it accelerated by itself, had to hit brakes and turn engine off to avoid accident, then when I parked vehicle and placed in park it did it again.

- Morris, OK, USA

Apr 272014

Grand Cherokee

It has happened on several occasions now; however, the first time my truck completely shut off, I was driving ~35mph then slowed down a bit to turn and suddenly had no power. It started back up with out issue, but it was terrifying, as I was in the middle of an intersection. Most recently, I was driving with my wife and kids in the truck and a similar incident occurred. I was driving ~25 mph when the engine just shut off. Again, it started on the first attempt.

- Little Chute, WI, USA

Jun 172014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

When backing into parking space the car took off like a rocket ship/full throttle (5.7 hemi) like it had a mind of it's own. The result was property damage (unknown amount) and car damage over $7600 not including car rental for 2 weeks. Chrysler sent inspector to body shop and their determination was they found nothing wrong and said the case is closed. A Jeep/Chrysler dealership replaced the throttle body January 31, 2014 under warranty. We know this was not driver error. It was the scariest 15 seconds of our lives and could have easily killed someone. Now we wonder when will it happen again" we would like to know, has there ever been an engine going to full throttle accident involving a 2005 Jeep/Chrysler product"

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

Nov 052008

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving West on I-8 in Arizona vehicle went completely dead without warning, power steering was lost, etc. Fortunately I was able to steer the vehicle onto side of the highway and bring to a stop. Traffic was virtually no-existent on this stretch of the road otherwise a crash of some kind would most likely take place. As we were in the middle of now where I immediately attempted to start the vehicle up again which it did without a problem. I was able to drive away and vehicle seemed to drive perfectly normal. I recently had the same problem happen again. And, again, I happen to be on a road with very little traffic so I was able to pull over and again the vehicle started up again without a hitch. I attributed the problem to the location of the ignition switch which makes it almost impossible not to bump into the key with your right knee anytime you're traveling long distances and wind up moving your feet around just to stretch them. I now realize that's a much larger problem than that.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jun 182014

Grand Cherokee

While driving the lights on the instrument cluster, radio, ac and lights shut off as well as loss of power steering and engine shut off. Including the brakes, accelerator, and all electrical system. Leaving me with absolute no control over the vehicle. I noticed the ignition key had slipped into the forward off position while the vehicle was in motion, creating a deadly hazard as it results in loss of all functionality of the vehicle. When I tried to restart the vehicle, my vehicle will not start up right away has to turn the key couple of times to get my vehicle started.

- Temple City , CA, USA

Oct 222013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

After dealer performed recall 13V175000, traction control is inoperative but no lights are illuminated to indicate the failure of the traction control system. Also, shifting the transfer case is inoperative. No warning lights or informational messages are displayed to indicate the loss of functionality. Dealer has cleared codes and replaced parts multiple times, but the problem remains. Safety issues are: 1. driving in remote areas in low range, and being unable to shift into high range prevents driving on paved roads... which could leave a driver stranded. 2. failure of traction control system could result in loss of control, especially in winter.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 032013

Grand Cherokee

I was pulling into a space to park, was coasting into spot did not have my foot on the gas. My car made a loud noise and shot forward -up over a curb and through a wooded area until I hit a trailer. Prior to this happening my gauges in my car were all flicking on and off on my dashboard. I reported the incident to my insurance company and had the body work done. The insurance company will not cover the cause of the accident only the accident itself. My insurance company sent one of their appraisers over to the body shop at the dealership where I purchased the car and had the work done and was told that the same incident happened to one of the guys that worked at the body shop while he was pulling my car back into one of their garages. I am supposed to pick up my car because the body work is complete but I am afraid to drive the car again and feel that this is a major safety concern. I purchased my car from this dealership 3 years ago, it was used when I bought it. Do I have any rights as far as having them test and repair the car at their expense?

- Canton, MA, USA

Aug 312013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while entering a parking space, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact was not injured. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 65,000.

- Gravois Mills, MO, USA

Aug 082013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I pulled into my apartment complex around 5:30am on 8/08/2013, I noticed a loud "thud" sound and my Jeep became stalled in the driveway. I pressed gently on the gas pedal to move my vehicle out of oncoming traffic, but the Jeep wouldn't move and then finally jolted into drive without me pressing on the gas pedal. I was able to coast to a parking spot. The service 4-wheel drive indicator light came on the dash before I shut the ignition off. The vehicle has been serviced appropriately and efficiently over the past 2 years since I purchased it. I called shore tire on 8/9/2013 to set up an appointment for a mechanic to look at my vehicle. I was able to drive the Jeep at 10mph a mile down the road on 8/12/2013 to the service shop. I was informed the parking brake ad dislodged itself from the shaft, dismantling the rear backing plate system, left rear ABS sensor, left rear axle/hub and damaged the rear rotors. I had to pay $1,320.30 for parts and labor.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Apr 052012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I began to notice some unexplained acceleration and deceleration. While driving, when the vehicle should downshift, I could feel a bump and noticeable hesitation. That gradually worsened to become major fluctuations in the RPM while both accelerating and decelerating. For instance, while steadily engaging the gas pedal to accelerate, the vehicle sometimes feels jumpy, does not accelerate smoothly, and if you look at the RPM's they jump up and down by 500 - 1000 rpms. Also, while coasting to a stop, when I am not braking but just allowing the vehicle to roll to the stop from say 45 mph, the same jumping occurs with the rpms. This sometimes causes the car to lurch forward if the rpms flare at a near stop, and once, as I was pulling out of my driveway, I stopped at the bottom of the drive but the engine flared and pushed the car out onto the roadway by about a foot. Eventually, this RPM issue began causing stalling. When I would stop at a traffic light, the engine would jump, and then the rpms would drop to zero and the engine would stall. Sometimes after just a few attempts I could restart. Twice I needed towed. My regular mechanic was able to replicate the stalling and saw and felt the RPM flares. He found no mechanical issues and suggested it was a computer issue and directed me to a dealership. 2 dealerships could find nothing wrong and sent me away with no fix. So, my regular mechanic did a computer reset which seemed to solve the problem temporarily. Reset was at 66,000 miles. Now at 72,300, problem is again becoming pronounced. I am getting nowhere with the dealerships and I'm honestly frightened driving this car. I cannot trust the car to accelerate or decelerate properly and I can't be sure the engine won't stall in traffic.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Jun 262013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated to 35 mph with the illumination of the traction warning light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Middleton, ID, USA

Feb 052013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Exact same scenario.... traveling down the road, stopped at a light and car went into limp mode with the esp mode disabled lit up on the dash. Car was idling at just under 2K RPM and would not accelerate. Car normally idles at just under 1K RPM. With my foot on the brake the car wanted to drive forward, light turned green and let off the brake, I was doing 20mph without my foot on the gas. I pulled over and shut the car off, restarted and ran fine for a day. Next day I broke down 5 times coming home from work. Car would run fine and all of a sudden I would feel a power surge in acceleration and I knew it was coming, next stop light car would start to idle funny and light turns green, no power. No matter how hard I smashed the gas pedal, rpms would not move from just under 2K. I shut the car off, restarted and took off like normal. Im going to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out and im taking statements from this page to show the dealer that there are many people having this problem and cannot fix it.. I am positive Jeep knows about this problems and will not admit to it. Hey if we have enough people can any say "class action law suit""??? oh yeah remember I said I have video of this??? because everyone said dealer could not replicate the problem or figure it out" I also have a 15,000$ paper weight in my driveway that's worth no more than 400$ at the local scrap yard. I've had to many problems with this Jeep and this is the last straw. Jeeps are junk, and remember "its a Jeep thing", you wouldn't understand. Yeah they are right on that, I don't think anyone understands!!! I also have recorded video of this if anyone from Jeep wants to contact me.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Jan 232013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

While traveling at highway speed the electronic throttle control system of the vehicle completely failed placing the vehicle into limp mode as indicated by the flashing warning lights and the dashboard display reading "esp disabled". the vehicle reduced speed drastically without driver input to do so. Were it not for the awareness and capability of the driver following the vehicle, this drastic reduction in speed would have caused a vehicular collision on an incredibly busy main thoroughfare. The affected vehicle suffered a complete loss of throttle control and the engine stayed at approximately 2000 RPM's regardless of driver input to the throttle pedal. Maximum speed dropped to no more than 15 mph. Stopping the vehicle completely at traffic control devices was difficult due to the constant high RPM the engine was maintaining. The vehicle was taken to the service department of the nearest Jeep/chrystler/Dodge dealership where it was troubleshot. The electronic throttle body was replaced consequent of the diagnostic check ran on the vehicle. The next 30 miles driven in vehicle were uneventful. The next day the exact same malfuntion occured again, albeit on a not so busy road (thankfully). Conversations with the service department reveal no confidence inspiring trouble shooting and/or repair procedure for what is apparently a known problem for many products across the corporate line, spanning many model yeas and generations. Basically, it was stated that they are aware of the issue but are unsure of what causes it or how to remedy the malfunction. The vehicle is now parked useless in owners driveway until a solution is found and the vehicle can be safely driven again.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 262012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated as he pulled into the driveway within 2 feet of the garage there was sudden acceleration and the vehicle crash into the garage. There was no injuries but the front of the vehicle was damaged. The police was not notified. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who informed the manufacturer of the failure. The manufacturer sent a letter to the contact informing him they were not responsible for the damages and it was not due to any manufacturing defects and offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jun 302012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle went into limp mode. The traction control light and the esp light illuminated on the instrument panel during the failure. The vehicle's speed then decreased from 30 to 5 mph. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the shoulder and shut it off. Upon restart, the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the throttle body was dirty and needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 98,350.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 162012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (first incident) while turning a corner at approximately 15-20mph revved up, would not shift, and prnd were all lit up on the dash, as well as the engine light came on. After a few starts the engine light has gone off. Second incident, from dead stop at a light and accelerating, same issue. Engine light goes off again. This has now occurred 4 times within 2 months and is a safety hazard considering the fact that your speed drops down out of no where and can potentially cause a serious accidents, causing harm to car a drivers, especially behind you, them not being aware that you are suddenly about to drop speed without brake lights!

- Norfolk, VA, USA