2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012009

Grand Cherokee

When starting ignition, wipers activate. While driving, headlights and instrument panel flash intermittently. When starting ignition and while driving, air conditioner blower shuts down, cuts out intermittently and blower, when operative, only works on high. Sometimes switching to off and restarting or hitting a bump activates blower. At one time opening and closing the glove compartment activated blower but not any longer. Passenger air bag lights continuously.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Mar 202016

Grand Cherokee

While driving, the instrument panel will flicker on and off, the heater/cooler blower shuts down, cuts out. The speedometer and tachometer quit working as well.

- Norwalk, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Cherokee

Exterior headlights and interior dash lights flicker on and off speratically. This happens while driving, stopped and even when parked. I have to flick the light switch on and off to try to get lights to stay on. This is scary when driving at night and I'm sure it irritates the heck out of anyone who see's my lights flickering.

- Port Townsend, WA, USA

Jan 062016

Grand Cherokee

Exterior headlights and interior dash lights flicker on and off speratically. This happens while driving, stopped and even when parked. I have to toggle the light switch on and off to try and stop the flicker or even to get the lights to come back on because sometimes the lights stay off even when the switch is in the on position. This is extremely scary when driving at night and I'm sure it irritates the heck out of anyone who see's my lights flickering. They think I'm signaling them for some reason. Really need a fix for this asap. Hope daimler/chrsler isn't waiting for death/accident toll before they fix this issue. I have already had the ignition switch replaced per the recent recall and the problem with the lights persists.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 092015

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall. Headlights randomly flicker or shut off while driving on highway

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 50 mph, the instrument panel lights suddenly began to flicker off and on and the instrument panel gauges decreased to zero. The contact shut the engine off and restarted the vehicle. Moments later, the failure recurred and the exterior lighting shut off while driving. The contact indicated that the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Jan 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at night, the exterior headlights, the instrument panel, and the tail lights became inoperable. Also, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a power interruption. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Bubois, PA, USA

Oct 122015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the headlights flickered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 1/20/16

- Saxton, PA, USA

Oct 052015

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle was driving fine, then all of the sudden I lost all lights, all ignition, A/C everything except the engine. I lost speedometer airbags. The car acted like it was shut off but the engine was still going. My ignition has had problems since August 2014 and I have been calling my dealer every week to find out about parts. The parts have taken longer than a reasonable time to become available. My car now lights up (every check engine, traction control, seatbelt, oil, airbag, every light on the dash) at least 3 times in a half hour period. Was told by the dealer it was due to a faulty ignition. My car will not pass California smog with the check engine light coming on multiple times in my trip anywhere. I was told September 11th they would have the parts available. Then it was moved to October 11th. Chrysler needs to Focus more on their customers safety and reliability of their vehicle. It should not take over a year to replace ignition.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has been experiencing loss of power and restarting while driving down rt 80. Almost got myself and my pregnant girlfriend killed when it just off and restarted, I called the dealer right away and they couldn't do anything due to lack of part, we only have one car and they would not grant me a loaner, this is very unsafe, the lights on the dash all flickered then car shut down and restarted instantly and I'm sure it's causing other damage to the vehicle. I took all the key chains off an it has helped, but it's been doing it a lot more lately and it's very unsafe, when will a part become viable ?! this is redicoulus and clearly Chrysler doesn't care about your saftey!

- Columbia , NJ, USA

Aug 142015

Grand Cherokee

While driving on the freeway at night my headlights started blinking on and off at a very fast pace. I could not get them to stop blinking. I was able to put my bright lights on and it stopped. This has happed many times over the past month. The cars in front of me think I am trying to make them pull over and let me by. This week my headlights came on during the daytime and they were in the off position. I never had them on. I am afraid to drive at night with this condition. My headlights come on when I use my key remote to unlock my doors. It is not set to do this and we can not get it to stop. When I turn the car off and back on again this will reset the headlights from blinking but they always start again while I am driving. I can not find anybody that knows what the problem is.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

My 2005 Grand Cherokee has on several occasions turned itself off while driving down the road. The last time this happened was at night and raining and the windshield wipers, headlights and everything shut off for several seconds while driving down the road. Because of this a tractor trailer pulled out in front of me with my children in the car and we were nearly killed. I had no lights, windshield wipers, the brakes and steering were very difficult etc. I took it to the dealer today and they stated that there is a recall for this however no fix for the issue at this time"!?!?!"! this is completely unacceptable as my vehicle is completely useless, it is not worth my families lives to take the chance of driving it.

- York, PA, USA

Jan 092015

Grand Cherokee

The first incident took place approximately on the above date. As my daughter, friends and I were pulling onto the road, I bumped the key with my knee and the vehicle shut off completely. Everything went dead. I put it in neutral, turned the key, started it, and continued on. It has happened 3 times since then, twice with my daughter driving. We followed the recall posted by Chrysler and removed everything from the key chain, moved the seat back, etc. (there is no fix offered for this). This past Saturday night, 7/25/15, my 18 year old daughter was returning home from a friends house when she sneezed and as she was recovering and re-adjusting, she bumped the key and shut the car off. When this happens, everything is cut off. Lights, brakes, gauges, everything. Being dark, she could not see, could barely steer, brake, etc. And was basically "along for the ride". as she was in a left turn at the time, she pulled the wheel to the right to try and stay on the road and not go "beyond the turn" and crash. Because the brakes were not working, she was going too fast, managed to get the car going to the right but ended up in a slide. The car slid sideways and then backwards, sliding off the road to the right side and onto a driveway where the driver side front wheel caught the culvert under the driveway, flipping the Jeep onto the drivers side where it remained as it slid backwards for about 10 feet, stopping in a residents yard. Thankfully, my daughter was able to climb up and out the passenger window, unharmed, go to a house and get help. Because there is not a "fix" for this problem (Chrysler admits this on the recall notice), I am out a vehicle because of a defect they can not/will not fix. Because of the year model and mileage, I only carried liability insurance, so the damage to the vehicle will exceed the cost to repair. I feel Chrysler owes me the replacement cost.

- Albemarle, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee

My lights both interior / exterior / gauges flicker on and off whenever the want to on their own. This is a serious problem driving at night

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Nov 202014

Grand Cherokee

Flickering on dash board. Lights go off. No power. Dealer, normandin Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, refuses to do P41 safety recall due to unknown reason. I'm willing to pay what ever it costs.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee

Headlights began to flicker on and off- unable to see pedestrian - did not hit pedestrian but almost did-have contacted Chrysler and milton ruben where I purchased car- they say they have no parts to fix it even though I received a recall notice September 2015 that said I would receive another notice- I have not received anything else-it is dangerous driving especially at night and when it is raining- is there anything I can do to get this safety recall fixed? thank you

- Augusta , GA, USA

Mar 272015

Grand Cherokee

I was pulling into my driveway and the vehicle shut off and the brakes would not stop and my car ran into my pump house.

- Wrens, GA, USA

Oct 302014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 30 mph, the lights and gauges on the instrument panel illuminated intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that the head lamps illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.... updated 06-02-15

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 252013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the instrumental panel, interior, and exterior lighting failed. The failures occurred intermittently. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact also mentioned that the interior passenger and both rear door handles fractured and detached. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifting cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the parts would not be available until approximately September 2015. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Montgomery , TX, USA

Mar 202015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving on a remote state road at night, the headlights of the Jeep Grand Cherokee went suddenly out. This put me in the situation of driving 65mph completely in the dark. I was able to stop the car without hitting something just by pure luck. After stopping the light came back on and kept flickering the rest of the way. A short investigation on the internet showed that this seems to be not an unusual problem with 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A loosening contact of the light switch seems to be the problem and Jeep doesn't seem to care about it.

- Rockledge, FL, USA