2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 072014

Grand Cherokee

The check engine light would come on and the car would jerk at high speeds on the freeway, it even powered down completely on the freeway after reaching a high of 65pmh. The car would make strange grinding noises and lose power steering also. The vehicle was brought to the Jeep dealership and diagnosed finally after 2 visits as a faulty shifter module/control module or the cars "computer".

- Belmont, CA, USA

May 052015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000. Part distribution disconnect.

- Eutawville, SC, USA

Dec 292015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

After the dealer repaired recall P41/NHTSA 14V-438: Loss engine power, power brake assist seat belt and air condition failure. The problem always in motion.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 302015

Grand Cherokee

While driving and speeding up to switch lanes, the accelerator pedal was floored alone and the car took off speeding. I attempted to tap on the accelerator pedal but that did not work so I then pumped the brakes a few times before it slowed down. I was driving about 25 mph before attempting to switch lanes and when the pedal got stuck the speed went up to 60 mph.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 202015

Grand Cherokee

Speed control accelerates out of control when set. Happens consistently when cruise is turned on and set button is pressed. The engine will rev to 6000 RPM +. must depress brake or turn off cruise switch in order to stop the acceleration. Started happening while traveling on an interstate highway and speed control was set to posted speed. Vehicle suddenly accelerated on open stretch of highway and could only be slowed down by turning off the speed control. This could have a disaster if it happened in heavier traffic.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Oct 012015

Grand Cherokee

My car accelerates after releasing the brake and sometimes it switches into neutral and I'm unable to accelerate. This happens when im driving straight or making a turn. My car also shuts completely off while im in the middle of driving. The lights flash on the dashboard and then they all come back

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Mar 282015

Grand Cherokee

Prior to the incident, my Jeep felt as if it were having trouble switching between gears. It felt jerky, if you will. While traveling along I-95 on the East coast of Florida, my Jeep (twice) slipped gear and appeared to have gone into neutral. If you know the area, it's not the ideal place for this to happen. Since returning to the West coast of Florida, it has happened once. I've taken to a shop for a tune-up and to check on that problem. Needless to say, the 'fix' did not fix it and I'm still experiencing jerky shifts and gear failure. I've read a number of similar complaints regarding the same type of incidents on the NHTSA website, but have not located a fix for the problem. Without hesitation, I'll say I'm terrified.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 202012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. However, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic, who confirmed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. In addition, the contact stated that the engine revved without depressing the accelerator pedal and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an inspection station. The technician diagnosed the vehicle, but failed to specify the repairs that were made. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Neversink, NY, USA

Aug 242005

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Incident happened multiple times. Engine, shut down briefly. When I stepped on brake it vibrated severely. The instrument panel lit up, was unable to steer. Received notice from NHTSA tried to have fixed several timesand part is still unavailable. It is happening more often and I am afraid to drive it. Very disappointed. I believe Jeep should furnish me with a safe vehicle.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the contact stated that the entire instrument panel illuminated and the speed odometer decreased. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Rodchester, NY, USA

Oct 172012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, I noticed my car slowed down and even after applying the gas pedal, it didn't help. After pressing the brakes and pushing the gas pedal again, then it started accelerating. The engine light would blink and lately it stays on. The check engine light stays on and off but once I noticed that when I started the car again, the check engine light was off but I lost one front headlight. I was told by the dealership that I needed to replace a spark plug which cost me almost $300. Now the check engine light is on again and I suspect as other owners have shared it in the forum that it's the ignition switch that's faulty. I just wish NHTSA would do something about this asap. The letter came the mail stating there is a recall on my car but nothing is being done to correct the problem. Are you waiting for severe accidents to happen before you really force Jeep to correct this issue"?? do people have to lose their lives before you act on this problem"

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Feb 212013

Grand Cherokee

I bought the Jeep in Feb. 2013 and shortly thereafter, while driving on the interstate, the car just shut itself off and everything went dead. This has happened about 2 dozen times since, sometimes going fast and sometimes going slow or pulling into an intersection. There doesn't seem to be a factor that causes it to happen and the mechanic cannot find anything wrong but it is very dangerous.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Grand Cherokee

Random incidents while driving the dashboard will light up with all indicators and gauges go to zero value. I recorded on my cell phone one incident. I had one case that Jeep stalled at same time of incident, and I was able to coast to side of road, shut engine off and restart. I discussed this with local dealer and they could not obtain any error code. I called Chrysler on one incident and they said they had no known problems reported on my vehicle. Dealer said to return next time it happens but I am always not in a convenient place and the dashboard will return to normal status after some time while driving.

- Saline, MI, USA

May 132014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While turning right into a parking lot at low speed, my knee brushed the key chain/key and ignition turned off while still in drive. Has happened once more in the last month in a similar circumstance, both luckily at low speed in empty parking lots. Had to shift to park and restart engine to regain power/control.

- Bend, OR, USA

May 232014

Grand Cherokee

I was driving East on the Pennsylvania turnpike from pittsburgh, pa to york, pa with my wife and 1 year old daughter on the Friday of memorial day weekend. I was driving between 70-75 mph in the left hand lane when I noticed I had lost acceleration, power steering, and all of my interior lights had turned off. The entire vehicle had shut off. This easily could have caused a horrific accident as there was a ton of traffic behind me and on the road. Fortunately, I was going down a hill and I was able to maintain speed for enough time to safely drift my car into the right lane and eventually over to the side of the road. Once pulled over, I had difficulty shifting my vehicle into park and turning off the ignition. After a few minutes of attempting to shut it off, I was able to get the key out of the ignition. I waited about 5 or so minutes and was able to start the vehicle without a problem. I stayed in the right hand lane the rest of the trip and eventually made it to my destination safely. When I got home, I took the vehicle to three rivers Chrysler Jeep and Dodge in pittsburgh, pa..I was told I needed to replace the ignition switch and the "wire control module". with all of the recalls in the news regarding Chrysler and GM ignition switches, I would not be surprised if this was a defect in Jeep as well. The experience I had was very frightening and I hope others do not have the same problems.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 012011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle since 2011 hesitates at acceleration. Transmission does not engage so the engine rpms are up to 3.5 before it automatic lay shifts to the next gear. This happens a daily now and getting worse. Gears seems to automatically into neutral then hangs there while trying to excel. I have called Chrysler last year and recently to check for recalls and online. I am told that there is a recall N23 on 4 wheel drive in my make, model and year but my vehicle is a 2 wheel drive so this N23 does not apply. Although it is the same problem as this recall. It is very dangerous at a traffic light or pulling out of an area and you accel but go nowhere. I narrowly escaped being rear ended several times. There is also a problem with my headlights. After I purchased my vehicle IN2006 I took into my local dealership X 2 for them to make sure my headlights are properly lined up. I can not see the roads at dark, I have had to drive with my brights on for years. I also see that the nada has a recall on the reflectors in the headlamps! but Chrysler does not recognize that recall in my vehicle either. I would like for the transmission recall to be recognized because it is not just for a 4WD, but 2wd also.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Oct 302013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts as all the warning lights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 93,667.

- Rome, NY, USA

Sep 152012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving along and decided to turn on the cruise control. When I did the Jeep accelerated out of control and I was going 75. The gas pedal went down to the floor. It would not turn off using the off button on the steering wheel. I slammed on the brakes and the cruise control turned off. At that time the gas pedal popped back up. Over the next week, I attempted to use my cruise control several times, and each time the vehicle speed excelled on its own to dangerous speeds, and the pedal went down to the floor. I have asked a couple of mechanics to look at it and they don't know what is wrong, but the same thing happened to them. They said that this could cause an accident and I had them disconnect the cruise control. I would like it fixed, but no seems to know the problem.

- Potsdam, NY, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Cherokee

While driving my 2006 Grand Cherokee the vehicle will switch into neutral on it's own. This has occurred while stopped at lights, while driving at 70 mph, so on and so forth. The check engine light reads "shift control module" and this has been replaced twice and has not been cheap. When this occurs, the dash board lights light up around all gears (park, reverse, neutral, and drive.) I have had to pull off onto the side of the road and turn off my vehicle and restart it before it would switch back into the correct gear. I am wondering if the new safety recall 13V175000 is covering this issue. As I read, it seems my vehicle is not the only one with this problem. My next step was to replace the entire transmission as the person working on the vehicle did not know what else to suggest. This is very dangerous, especially with having to share this vehicle with a teenage son.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Apr 192013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

For a few months now & without warning: The dashboard lights, tachometers, heater, and headlights flicker on/off, then go completely off. Then if applying the brakes, there is a ferocious grinding noise and loss of steering. Engine seems to slow down or not want to shift to next gear while driving. All this happens when there is flickering. Seems to happen at random but getting worse. Check engine light stays on for a day then disappears. I have video recording of these incidents. Vehicle has been checked but "nothing reports" so I am told it cannot be repaired.

- Elkton, MD, USA