2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152016

Grand Cherokee

When I'm driving while in motion in a straight line all of a sudden my dash lights flicker and my ac stutters on and off and then all power stops and my brakes more or less lock up but not all the way but the engine still runs.... I'm not sure if the windows stop working or not but its been happening a few times and it seems like its going to need a tow truck but when I pull over off the highway and turn it off and restart it resets its self my Jeep only has 78,000 miles on it because it was sitting in storage for 6 years while I was out of the states so it did not get driven and the dealership took it and changed all belts fluids and gave it a checkup before I drove it again

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 222016

Grand Cherokee

Was driving my Jeep at night with my infant in the back seat, 55mph. Suddenly all the lights in the dashboard and parking assistance lights in the back all lite up. At the same time the heater stopped working and my headlights went out as well. They came back on about 5 seconds later. I continued to drive when it did it again. I switched the lights out of auto. The same problem occurred again but this time the head lamps did not go out, all the warning lights on the dash still flashed and heat went off. It resumed the whole way home but never fully lost power. It still does this on a daily basis, multiple times. I feel as if it's getting worse but no one can diagnose and figure out what's wrong with it. Considering the airbag warning and others(all of them) light up, I'm concerned for my safety and my sons. Today as I was driving it seemed worse. Even turn signal lights are effected when this happens. Today my speedometer, gas gage... everything on my dashboard lite up and my meters quit working. It all resumed as normal after it happened but it happened approximately 15 times during a 10 minute drive. Sometimes back to back to back. It also happened while sitting at a stop light when I noticed my turn signals also went out at that time, while stationary and while turning. Happens no matter if stationary or in motion.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Dec 252015

Grand Cherokee

I was on the highway with my family at night when all of the inner and outer lights in the car turnd off.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Grand Cherokee

When driving at night or when lights must be used during day light hours the lights in the cluster panel go out and come back on or dim and the return to their original brightness. When the turn signal "stalk" is puled in or pushed in everything is ok for a few miles. Also, once in a while dashboard lights go off and on and chimes go off and on. This is occurring more frequently.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 122015

Grand Cherokee

While driving the ignition turns off, the interior instruments don't work, the brakes, make a noise, the steering get hard to turn. When I turn the key back to the right everything comes back on. Occurred at least 5 times over last few months. Have been reported to dealership twice, who says Dodge is dragging their feet with recall ignition switches. Have complained to Dodge who says I have to brig it to the dealership for diagnosis and I may have to pay for it. But I have a recall notice on the part.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Mar 132015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 35 mph, the headlights illuminated intermittently. Also, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Warfordsburg, PA, USA

Nov 282014

Grand Cherokee

Driving along at night, when suddenly my head lights blink off and on several times then shut off. Have to then turn on and off switch several times to get them back. Then few minutes later they do it again, along with the instrument panel. No one seems to be able to figure it out. I think its the computor on board thats defected, and Jeep doesnt want to replace all of them! I think this issue needs to be addressed a.S.a.P.. it is so unsafe, and appears that there are many others out there with same problem.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jul 292015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 65 mph, all the lights on the instrument panel, headlights, and the tail lights seized without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road. After approximately one minute, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the part needed was not available to repair the vehicle. Also, the contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The same failure recurred three times the same day. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 102015

Grand Cherokee

Light bulbs behind the climate control unit and information center blow. Console is designed in such a way that the blown light bulbs cannot be replaced as they are fused to the circuit board of the affected unit. Only way to fix this issue is to replace the affected unit (like the whole climate control), which is quite expensive. This is a design flaw since the bulbs are neither maintenance-free (and long-lasting) nor serviceable. Operating the vehicle with blown console lights at night is a safety hazard because it cause the driver to take the eyes off the road for an extended period of time while trying to operate unlit console equipment. This is a common issue in 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee wk and 2006-2010 Jeep commander.

- Pullman, WA, USA

Jun 252015

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle at night, the dash panel lights and headlights began to flicker on and off repeatedly. Turned the headlights off then back on and the problem went away for a few minutes then started again. The next day the service engine soon light came on and I lost acceleration ability, RPM's went up but the vehicle wouldn't accelerate while already in gear on a main road at a stop sign. Codes P0700 and P2767 were set.

- Davison , MI, USA

May 152015

Grand Cherokee

All the lights in the interior speedometer panel, all warning lights ect... flash and the air conditioning goes off.

- Bluffdale, UT, USA

Apr 042015

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

This is not the first time this has happened since I purchased the Jeep in 2009 but it was the most significant one. All lights went off inside & out. There was some problem with the steering & the braking also. The motor did not die nor did the A/C or radio go off. When this happens all the warning lights flash a few times & for a few seconds I loose all the lights & experience the braking & steering problems. I did receive the recall notice for the ignition switch in September, 2014 stating that they were trying to get the parts for repair but I have not heard anything else from Chrysler. This is the only vehicle that I have and at this point I am afraid to drive any distance.

- Westmoreland, TN, USA

Mar 122013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Lights shut off and electrical systems fails. This is on recall but dealer will not fix as they say no repair given.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

We own a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When we start the vehicle, for about the first 20 minutes of driving, the vehicle will shut off multiple times when driving slow or coming to a stop. My wife was coming home from work and she was leaving the parking garage she parked at for work. When she was driving up the ramp to exit the garage, the Jeep shut off on her and it rolled backwards down the ramp into a building support pillar. This caused damage to the back bumper and taillight. We were lucky nobody was hurt or behind her when this happened. When I drive the Jeep it seems like it happens more often. When I leave for work in the morning and arrive at the first stop light, the Jeep will shut off. Sometimes it turns green at the same time so I have to shift back to neutral to start up, making some people miss the green. When I leave work to head home, every time I pull up to the gate to leave, it shuts off. It jumps forward when it shuts off, sometimes I feel like I will hit the gate (have to get close to gate in order for scanner to read garage access pass). Please make a solution for this recall as it is very dangerous and we got lucky with just a minor accident so far.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Dec 152014

Grand Cherokee

Driving down a mountain grade, at 65 miles per hour, all power shut off including all dash lights, speedometer, power steering and brakes. Over the next 20 miles all of these systems flashed on and off about a dozen times or more. This erratic electric behavior continued on a daily basis until I took it into the dealership. The dealer was able to recreate the problem when they jiggled the ignition switch. I do not use a keychain, only the key, so I assume the problem was caused when I drove over bumps in the road. For $1,300, the dealer was able to fix the problem.

- El Dorado, CA, USA

Feb 092015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

On my way home from work after dark, I experienced a loss of head lights, dash power and heating traveling at a high rate of speed down the interstate. Earlier that morning on my way to work, the dash quit working 4 times. All gauges stop working and drop to zero and the heat/ac quits. I have experienced my head lights turning off/losing power on 3 separate occasions. I am able to switch them from automatic to on and they work. Once my dash "flickers" and returns to normal, the engine light, traction light and esp bas light stay on. This has become a daily malfunction that occurs on my way to and from work. The first time this occurred in September of 2014, I drove straight to auto zone and bought a brand new battery. They tested the battery and said I needed a new one. They installed a new battery and connected power to the Jeep while they changed it. I figured a bad battery was the issue and it was now fixed. A couple days later, I began experiencing a loss power to my dash again. I have taken my Jeep to 3 different Jeep dealerships and they cannot find anything wrong but an ignition switch or bad battery. They all told me that they had not received the ignition switch part for the recall but I will received a notice in the mail when they do. One Jeep dealership contacted auto zone and told them the only thing they could find wrong with it was the battery. I went back to auto zone and they replaced my battery. I have had my alternator checked several times and it tested good. This defect/malfunction is dangerous and a hazard to my life as well as other motorist. I am very dissatisfied with Jeep's handling of the situation and long await period of the recall part.

- Gilbertsville, KY, USA

Nov 072012

Grand Cherokee

All lights, instrument panel, head lights, fog lights began to flash and shut off then came back on as the car was being driven. This has happened multiple times while my wife has been driving as well as when my son has driven the car and also while I was driving..

- Skippack, PA, USA

Dec 302014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the headlights flickered and failed. In addition, the instrument panel illuminated and the rear passenger tail light failed intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Dec 222014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the headlights failed, impairing visibility at night. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 02/18/15 updated 2/24/15 updated 4/4/16

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee

While driving, all of my lights on my instrument panel start to flash. I am unable to tell the speed at which I am going because it the speedometer stops working as well. The fans stop blowing and this has happened over and over. I received a speeding ticket because of being unable to tell how fast I was driving. I have taken my car to a Chrysler/Jeep dealership and they were unable to do anything or figure out why it happened. I have taken it to my local garage and they are unable to find out why it is happening. This has been going on for almost two years and keeps getting worse and worse. I have contacted Chrysler/Jeep via email and was told that I should take it back to a dealership to have it looked at but "if it is monetary reimbursement" that I was looking for, that wasn't going to happen. I can google this issue and find hundreds of people with the same problem online with no resolution! this isn't just a problem that I am having and until it causes someone to have an accident and kill either themselves or someone else, Chrysler doesn't seem to care!!!

- Richlands, VA, USA