2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 162011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While I was driving home last night 12/16/11 with my fiancee we stopped at a traffic light, and when the light turned green the Jeep started back up fine all except it couldn't go faster than 20 miles per hour. So I put my flashers on and the traffic behind me went around us, then it worked itself out, but did it again when I came to another traffic light. But this time I was able to use my manual shift to help it. No warning lights came on. And I just purchased this Jeep 2 days ago. I would like to get this safety issue fixed since I have seen that this is a dangerous and common problem with the other 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am also a firefighter and I depend on this Jeep to get me to fire scenes and other emergency scenes, and I don't want to be in an emergency scene involving me due to the safety issues this Jeep is having. Can someone please do a recall and have this issue fixed.

- Henderson, TN, USA

Oct 182011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Owned the 07 Jeep for 5 months. Vehicle has been serviced for 2 different incidents. The 1st incident(actually happened several times) is when the vehicle would not shift during acceleration and it would force me to the side of the road where I would have to turn the vehicle on and off until it would run correctly. Was told by dealership service that it was a transmission sensor, had the part replaced-not covered by warranty. Less then 3 weeks later, 2nd incident occurred when I was driving 55mph down the interstate while accelerating to get over to an exit, the vehicle threw itself back into 2nd gear and I was forced to get over into the emergency lane so as not to be struck by oncoming traffic. The Jeep had almost come to a complete stop in traffic! check engine light came on and went off after that. Dealership states the gear ratio and valve cover forced the vehicle into 2nd gear. Very dangerous!

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 112007

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Check engine light continues to come on at random. When it does, problems accelerating. Car will not accelerate past 20 or sometimes car "sputters" jerking a lot. Sometimes at red lights, rail road crossings, anything really where the car is stopped, car will not resume driving and car sounds like it is in neutral and I am reving it up. Electronic dash puts a bracket over each gear, P R N D, all at once. When engine light is on it is on for a period of days. When I turn the car on and put it in to drive it makes the most horrible sound as if I backed into a wall and jerks. Sometimes on the highway when the light is on it's as if I smell something burning through my air vents. Everytime I take it to the dealer or any shop just for a diagnosis it's just my luck that the light turns off and they tell me my car is fine. This car needs to be recalled from looking at the complaints!!!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 032011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate from stops for approximately three to four seconds. Once the vehicle would begin to accelerate, it would accelerate at a very high rate and the contact would have to quickly apply the brakes. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Jun 042010

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Car will decelerate, and will not respond to depressing of the accelerator pedal. Occurs at various speeds and traffic conditions. Contacted dealership, began to describe issue, without describing the make and model, and the repair-shop was able to then tell me the make and model of my vehicle without me previously disclosing. (already had gear shift module replaced once before, and since the issue occurred 14 months later, dealership refuses to cover expense of replacement.) this is a very dangerous issue, and as stated before, occurs at various times and traffic conditions, and there are no preceding warnings or other indicators that foreshadow the occurrence. Car is now at 42,000 miles, yet it is in need of a 3rd shift module, seems highly unlikely. Dealership needs to declare a recall or when the customer has the problem, they fix it without further expense to the consumer. I bought this Jeep new, and its my 4th one, however, I am extremely disappointed with their customer service, and the quality of vehicle they are producing, and will not ever purchase their vehicles again.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 102010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 60 mph the accelerator pedal got stuck. He stepped on the brake pedal, which depressed all the way to the floor without stopping the vehicle. The vehicle would not stop until he shifted it into neutral and engaged the emergency brake. The vehicle was shut off and upon restart operated as normal. The vehicle was not taken to be examined for the cause of failure and was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 56,000.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Jul 162010

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. While sitting at a drive through window her vehicle suddenly accelerated through the parking lot. She looked down and noticed that the accelerator pedal was stuck. She almost lost control of the vehicle as the vehicle continued to accelerate in the parking lot causing her to crash into the curb and damaged both rims and tires on the passenger side of the vehicle. There were no injuries. The police were not notified. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. There was routine maintenance performed on the vehicle a week prior to the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Mcconnellsburg, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Grand Cherokee

This problem has occurred almost every day for two months. I will describe one incident, which occurred this evening around 11pm. I was driving on the highway in my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee when my accelerator stopped having any effect on my car. All of the gauges died (so the fuel reported empty, the speedometer said I was not moving, etc) - all of this while traveling at 65mph. I had to pull over, turn the car off and back on, and all of the problems went away. As I've said, this has happened once a day for the past two months. So far there appears to be no fix for the problem.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

Jan 152009

Grand Cherokee

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, throttle problems. ( at low speeds 5mph -25mph) vehicle hesitates sometime when you take off, sometimes it jumps off the line, some days you go around a corner and push the throttle and it don't do anything, then it takes off real quickly. When going up and down hills it hesitates or surges and changes gears abruptly. I took to dealer and they said it was common and did a computer re-flash at no cost. It dint help anything. There were 2 other Jeep there for the same problem. The dealer wants me to bring it back and leave it for the day so they can try to fix it. I wonder how many people have to die over something like this. I wonder how many people complained and died over the Toyota problems before anyone investigated? its a real problem, look around on some of the Jeep forums under idle or throttle problems. I found about 100 other complains about the same problems im having in about 15 minutes.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Dec 102006

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Grand Cherokee. While driving 5 mph, the traction control system activated when he hit a bump. As a result, the vehicle would not accelerate. The traction control would deactivate after approximately two seconds and the vehicle would accelerate. The contact stated that his foot would stick when he attempted to depress the brake pedal. He felt that an electrical box caused the failure. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The current mileage was 23,587 and failure mileage was 600. Updated 01-10-08. The consumer stated failures occurred frequently. Updated 12/31/07

- Killington, VT, USA