2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 16 of 20)

Oct 012011

Grand Cherokee

My engine has shut down and the electrical system powered down while driving many times (more than 60 times in the last 3 years). This has happened at many speeds between 0 (standing still) and 60 mph. When the vehicle shuts down, steering becomes very difficult and brakes work to a minimum. I've taken my Grand Cherokee to the Jeep Agency many times, and they keep saying that nothing is wrong with it. Only once they told me it was an oxygen censored, which they changed, but the problem persisted constantly. This is a very dangerous situation as the vehicle can become very difficult to control at which speeds I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2008 in Mexico city.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Oct 222014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I filed my second complaint on 07/14/2014 component(s): Electronic stability control, unknown or other date of incident: 06/28/2014 NHTSA id number: 10610308 on 10/22 I transferred my Jeep transmission into neutral to tow behind our rv. When I took my foot off the brake the Jeep electronic fdcm threw it into 4WD and it lurched forward almost hitting our rv and my husband who was working on hooking up the vehicle. I warned your office in January and again in July that this was a safety issue but had no idea it could do this!! I was concerned about needing 4WD and not having it. Now I am concerned about our physical safety. Nothing has been done to make Chrysler Fiat step up, own up the N23 debacle that caused this issue and fix it. They must be held accountable and fix this before someone is injured or killed. Please do not ignore this complaint and just another Jeep owner complaining about the N23 recall. This is a serious safety issue!!!!

- Hancock, NY, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Cherokee

Purchased used vehicle from dealer. That evening while driving at speed (35 mph), my dash flashed, went dead and engine stalled, lost steering and brakes. The oil light lit and was only light on dash. Pulled over to side of road, after shifting to park, it restarted and drove normally. Next morning upon starting the check engine light came on. Drove to work, parked, called dealer. Upon entering vehicle again, used remote start, but when I inserted key, it died. Cycled key again and started. Returning to dealer, upon exiting freeway, it died again at roughly 30 mph. This time a loud clunk sound occurred and the same stalling issue, coupled with no brakes or steering occurred. After shifting to lark and cycling hey, it started immediately. Dealer diagnosed it as a "autostart relay switch" overheating and burning out. Replaced switch, check engine light disappeared, and vehicle drove normally all night. Third day of ownership, while at a stoplight, a loud clunk sound, coupled with jerking motion occurred. I actually looked at rear window because I thought I was rear ended, until I realized my dash was dead except for same oil light. Car was stalled. Placed in park, car started immediately. So far I've had car 3 days and it's happened everyday. Glad I just dropped close to 20K on a Jeep that may kill me.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Cherokee

* while driving 25 mph, the headlights would not illuminate the road properly. The headlights leveling was not working and the headlights shown about 25 feet infront of the car and would not raise up. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the head light leveling sensor showed a fault code that it had failed but it was not acting up when they checked it out. They said bring it back when it fails constantly. It is now failing constantly. Have not taken it back to the dealer yet.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Oct 032011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, all of the warning lights on the dashboard flashed. Also, the contact mentioned that the brake light, head lights, radio and the driver seat failed to operate properly. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to dealer where it was diagnosed that the front control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,379.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 182014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Key will not release from ignition after driving or engaging the transmission.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Sep 212014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle has had a history of unresolved electrical issues beginning at the time of purchase. In 2009, the ignition switch began to fail and the key fob was replaced. Due to a VIN number issue with a replacement program, Chrysler refused to replace the key assemblies though they were replacing identical assemblies on other vehicles that used the same modules. Several "reprogramming" have been conducted to clear problems. Specific issues include: 1. erratic behavior of electrical system that stems from the operation of the ignition switch. For example the engine will start but the vehicle will be impossible to shift out of park and the radio/navigation will not work until you jiggle the ignition switch and key fob. 2. chronic failure of the electronic throttle. You can be driving along at any speed and you will lose throttle control. This has caused several near miss accidents. The problem is acknowledged by a check engine light and lighting of an specific idiot light on the dash. However, the lack of throttle response is very dangerous and can be restored by only stopping the vehicle and shutting down the engine several times to reset the electronics. 3. chronic failure of the dealership to address proper correction of the electrical problems. Vehicle was covered by a full warranty and an extended warranty but these problems were never repaired. Due to sporadic and random nature of the systems faults, the dealership refuses to make repairs. 4. dealerships unable to clear check engine light and blame issues on the fact this unit has a diesel engine. Local waterway car wash is refusing to wash these vehicles due to rapid and unattended acceleration issues which have caused accidents at their car washes. This problem can be documented by calling them by telephone. They consider the vehicles to be a safety risk. Please help!

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Nov 142013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

So the starter has been a issue ever since I bought the car from my father 2 years ago. The key seems to be the problem since I got the starter rebuilt. It just doesn't start and will turn off at times for no apparent reason which would scare everyone in the car. I was wondering if there is a recall because there should be.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Car would not start. Neither fob would work. Car was in wrangell Alaska and had to be shipped to bellingham. Car is now at dealers. Was not a fob problem. ECM, electronic control module" after two days work with two mechanics, they still do not know the problem, just guessing. Only dealer can work/program the car computer. Cost of shipping car + hotels+restaurants+towing to and from ferry++++++ dealer cost. All because the car has to be fixed at the dealer and they apparently can't do it either. This is getting really expensive. What if I had been out in the boonies, away from phone service in the winter and this had happened"..updated 09-25-14

- Bend, OR, USA

Jun 112014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The ignition on my Jeep went out of it's normal operating position to acc position after the key was accidentally bumped. The car was in motion at the time. Steering locked up and the accelerator was disabled. And just a few days ago the same thing happened. This time my car rolled at a slow speed into another car due to lack of brakes. Luckily, no damage or injuries in that case either. I assume the recent recall for Jeep Grand Cherokee up to 2007 for the same reason will be extended to the 2008 models.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Aug 222014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at posted X-press way speeds (70 mph) the car suddenly went dead. The power steering, radio, A/C etc. Shut off. Fortunately traffic was light and I pulled off to the shoulder of the road. After the vehicle come to a stop. I turned the key to the left (off position) than turned back to the right on position. The car started immediately and I continued on. The car will also stall immediately after starting it and I will have to sometimes start it to two to three times before it stays running. I had the problem looked at a few years ago. First they said it was a bad key. When that didn't fix the problem they said it was a bad computer board. That worked for a few months and than the intermittent starting again and has been that way ever since. I know older model Jeep are going to recalled but I think the recall should include 2008 model years also.

- Washington Township, MI, USA

Jul 242014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

We are having difficulty with the ignition key, it sometimes releases easily and sometimes we have to start the car again and move it and that can happen up to as many as 5 or 6 or as little as 2 or 3 time. Initially it was a little bit of a problem, but now it is becoming scary. Taking it to the dealer again because we mentioned it the last time we were there and we were told that it would be ok until the check engine service light goes on. We just can't wait and continue driving the car like this. There seem to be other complaints with similar issue. We hope that all our concerns can be remedied.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jun 232008

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle shut down while driving. I lost power steering & brakes but the radio and ac stayed on. I had to put it in neutral to restart and then continued driving. This has happened many times since then, even after the dealership replaced my key fobs.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 272013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I bought a new 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee straight from the dealer. In January/February 2013 I started experiencing intermittent instances of the vehicle powering down & stopping without any warning. I would be driving at 35mph, and out of nowhere the electrical would cease, the truck would seize up, power down and would come to a halt. I took the truck to the dealer on 6/27/13, had diagnostics run. The dealer's recommendation was to have a new keyfob unit installed. There was an internal defect found in the wireless control module. Module on backorder, so alternate repair option given which included the installation and programming of a new remote starter unit which came with a new wireless control module and two new keyfobs. Previous to this I also had a new battery & shocks put in to remedy the problem. To date, still having same issue and now the "malfunction indicator light" intermittently appears lit on my dash. I see Jeep up to 2007 being included in the latest 7/21/14 recall for "faulty ignition switches that cause vehicles to stall" & I want to ensure that the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee's get included in the investigation as a result of my filed complaint.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Apr 192008

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle shuts off and all electrical and power steering inoperable. Shut offs happen intermittently at speeds from 20 mph to 70 mph. It generally occurs upon hitting road bumps, rail road tracks or pot holes. These incidents have happened 4-6 times per year. I have taken the vehicle to Chrysler's service engineering garage and Suburban Chrysler Jeep and they are unable to replicate or fix the issue. There have been 2 additional shut off incidents in the past 3 days with 2 different drivers. Vehicle will restart upon placing transmission in neutral and restarting. Based upon Chrysler recall campaign for similar issues with 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I believe my 2008 Grand Cherokee is subject to the same issues as earlier models. Updated 4/24/2015

- Novi, MI, USA

May 012012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Ignition switch problems - I am now using my third ignition switch. The first one failed instantly, shortly after I purchased this used vehicle. I parked the car in the driveway and when I tried to restart it the switch would not read and accept my key fob. Therefore it would not start the engine. Car had to be towed to dealer for a replacement switch and programming. The second failed (approximately a year later) intermittently with increasing frequency. When I would turn the key fob to start the car and then release the key to let it return to the "on" position the engine would turn off. Sometimes it would stop immediately, but there were other occasions that it would turn off after I started driving. The third switch is now still working but is operation is not as smooth as it was originally. This is the condition that preceded the failure of the second switch. I've been driving for almost fifty years and have never experienced failures as I just described. This is more than an expense and inconvenience. When your car shuts off while you are driving that is dangerous and unacceptable.

- Mount Gretna, PA, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle engine shuts off if key fab is disturbed while driving. Three times this has happen in the past year. All power is lost when this occurs. I removed items from key ring in an attempt to temporarily stop this situation until a recall is announced to fix this issue permanently.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

May 202014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 5-10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,500 and the current mileage was 41,088. Updated 9/4/14 the dealer installed a new ignition module. Updated 11/18/14

- Hudson, MA, USA

Jun 032014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When attempting to turn vehicle off the key becomes trapped in the ignition and will not come out until the key turned to the on then to off position several times. At times the vehicle starts on its own even without the key in the ignition at all and there are times when the vehicle is running and in drive on the roadway that you hear the ignition area by the key clicking again and again. This causes the alarm system light to come on and flash then go off and no after driving the vehicle it seems to be happening more frequently and becoming harder to get the key out of the ignition. So far the vehicle has not stalled out while driving but I am afraid to drive it much since out of fear this may happen with me my wife and three children inside.

- Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Jun 112014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Yet again the Jeep dies out while driving and eventually does not start. Had it repaired in June 2014. Today 7/14/14 it will not start again. I looked up recalls and see that there was an exact match to our problems. Several years ago we had the locked windshield wiper problems too. I called Jeep the 1st time it happened and they said although our problem was identical to the recall, our serial number was not involved. They nee to expand the recall based on the problems or people will be harmed in accidents due to the faulty vehicle. The Jeep just shuts off while driving and you lose your steering and can cause a crash. I narrowly avoided one several times. Please look in to this. Many online complaints identical to mine.

- Lincoln Park, NJ, USA