Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

May 192016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While parked in a parking lot, the contact's vehicle rolled away and another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an undisclosed location. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The failure mileage was approximately 6,000. Updated 08/30/16

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

Jan 092016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle independently shifted out of gear without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred on three separate occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Southwick, MA, USA

May 282016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the electronic shifter was in park, the vehicle independently moved backwards and struck another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic who stated that the rear passenger side bumper was damaged and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,823. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Jun 042016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was put in park. I exited the car. Wife was sitting in car in passenger seat. Car was not moving. Wife exited car to retrieve item from house. Returned to find vehicle down the hill and in the woods.

- Waverly Hall, GA, USA

Apr 102016

Grand Cherokee

I purchased a brand new 2015 Grand Cherokee late last year, and I've been having issues with the shifter since day one. I was driving on the freeway coming home from work and the gear slipped out of place. I've been down to the dealership to complain about it but of course they don't care. It really hurts my feelings that we paid this much money on a care I feel absolutely unsafe in. The shifter doesn't stay into park, and I work from my vehicle as a delivery driver. So a lot of the times I have to be quick and swift, and it's been to many times when my shifter slips out of place. My shifter doesn't lock at all, when I try and put it into gear. I'll be getting ready to drive out a gas station and my SUV shifter won't even stay in drive, it'll be neutral. I'll have to click a few times for it to try and stay in place.

- Lasvegas, NV, USA

Mar 282016

Grand Cherokee

The Jeep's electronic transmission did not fully shift in to the "park" position while still running. My wife exited the vehicle to take our 3 year old from the back seat and the Jeep began to roll away. She ran and jumped in to the driver's seat to stop it and in the process her foot slipped from the brake to the gas pedal driving the car into/through a house. Significant damage was done to the vehicle and the home but no one was injured.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 032016

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle locked when I was stopped in traffic in the highway, rendering the vehicle disabled in traffic while in drive. I pressed on the gas pedal but did not move. I hit my emergency lights placed the car in park and then shifted back to drive but got no movement. I then turned off the vehicle and restarted the vehicle and was able to move off the highway and took the surface streets to get home. I saw on this "site" there is a recall for 2016 models which is recall S28.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 102016

Grand Cherokee

I put the car in park (engine still running) to go out of the vehicle to talk to someone. I turned around and the car was rolling backwards. It gained speed as it approached a hill, crossed over a sidewalk and slammed into a tree. I had 2 bikes on a bike rack on the back, which took the brunt of the crash. The bikes, the bike rack and the rear of the car were crushed. There was no warning noise or other indication that my car had not gone into park.

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

May 202016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was stationary, in park with engine idling. Standing outside of vehicle, I opened door to reach in to turn ignition off. As soon as I hit ignition, car accelerated forward dragging me about 10 yards. I was not in vehicle and held on to steering wheel and open door to keep from getting run over. It collided with vehicle parked in front of me, luckily in an empty parking lot and no one was injured. There is surveillance camera on site and this incident was captured on video. Witnesses were present and co-workers viewing it were frightened by seemed to have a mind of its own.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

May 262016

Grand Cherokee

The transmission seems to slip when I come to a stop and then try to accelerate at intersections. I'll depress the gas, nothing happens, and then suddenly it jerks forward. It does it all the time, but worse when the vehicle is cold/hadn't been driven. The transmission seems to constantly struggle to know which gear to be in, especially at lower speeds and especially between gears 1 and 2, and stopping and starting from intersections. There is such a delay while the transmission tries to decide what gear to be in to accelerate away from an intersection stop, that I'll often have people steal my turn at the intersection because they don't think I am going to take my turn. I'm waiting for the transmission to lurch and have someone pull out in front of me and hit them or be hit. This is such a dangerous vehicle. I will be having the dealership look at it this week, but have heard multiple reports online that the software "fix" being applied to the transmissions does not remedy the situation. This is the most difficult to drive automatic transmission I have ever experienced in low speed situations. Chugs and lurches in parking lots when taking foot off gas to coast. Have never experienced such a horrible and dangerous transmission.

- Shoreview, MN, USA

May 252016

Grand Cherokee

R rolled into tree, drivers door was jammed. Walked to house got keys and husband who climbed over the console and backed the car out from between two trees drove to our house.the car was originally in park standing still I was not in the car when this happened, home is located on a rural road. The damage was extensive.

- Harvard, IL, USA

May 222016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked on an incline, the contact started the vehicle and it rolled backwards in reverse. The contact's vehicle crashed into a parked vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

May 112015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked in front of a store, it rolled forward into the store and a fence. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired due to lack of parts. The approximate failure mileage was 2,021.

- Richmond Heights, OH, USA

Mar 302016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, the vehicle accelerated without warning and crashed into the contact's garage with a passenger in the vehicle. The passenger was not injured. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Texas City, TX, USA

Mar 192016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to shift gears without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The failure mileage was 2,340. The VIN was unavailable.

- Willow Grove, PA, USA

Dec 102015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Within thirty days of owning the vehicle, the gears inadvertently shifted into reverse when the contact placed the vehicle in park. The only indicators that alerted the contact of the failure was the vehicle rolling in reverse and the backup camera. The dealer was notified of the failure and stated that the parts were not available regarding NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 200. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Naples, FL, USA

May 162016

Grand Cherokee

Recall 16V-240: Last night, I received a call while in the grocery store that my car had been involved in an accident. When I went outside, my car had run into the car front of me in the parking lot. The car was running, the doors were locked and the engine was in gear. There appear to be several failures here. First, the gear shifter does not move into a gear, but instead seems to operate as a toggle switch. So you never know for sure if you are in out of gear like you do in every other automatic transmission car I've ever owned. Second, when I pushed the on/off button, the car apparently remained on. Shouldn't I have at least been alerted that I had attempted to turn off the car while in gear. Third, I opened the door with the car in gear. Shouldn't I have been alerted again. Fourth, I used the fob to lock the car and then walked away with the roc, all while it was running and in gear. Again, shouldn't I have been alerted. I'm sure there were some electronic beeps when I did some of these things, but that's clearly not enough. My wife's car has the horn honk when you leave the car with the fob and the engine is just running. I think I should have received much more attention-grabbing warnings than any I may have received given the danger posed by my car still running and in gear.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Apr 262016

Grand Cherokee

I am putting in a complaint for my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the electronic shifter. On multiple occasions, I have been in a situation where quickly selecting gears or switching gears was necessary in order to avoid a hazardous situation. I have also experienced instances where I thought I had put the car in park when I had actually selected reverse, because the tactical feedback of the shifter varies from time to time, and is not consistent at all. I am extremely disappointed in the choice of shifter for this vehicle. I have had about 15 cars in my life, both manual and automatic, and this is by far the worst design I've ever seen/used. This is a dangerous shifter and should be completely switched out for one of a different design. Cars should never be allowed to use the mono-stable shifter design. They are terrible. Please help fix this problem before someone else gets hurt!

- Winnabow, NC, USA

May 142016

Grand Cherokee

There are a total of three incidents that had occurred, all within a couple months of each other. The first incident happened late December/ early January. Finishing up work I leave the building and start my car up. When I put it in reverse, to pull out, the Jeep lurched violently forward colliding with the cement barrier. I took it to the dealership where they held on to my car for several weeks, refusing to disclose any information to me about the status of my vehicle. Once they returned my Jeep to me they concluded nothing was wrong, and declined any financial assistance. The second incident I was driving on the highway, late March during the evening. Admittedly speeding slightly, I was going only five-seven over. And just randomly my Jeep starts accelerating by itself. At its peak I was going 80-85 mph and continued at that speed for several minutes before I was able to regain control of my vehicle. The third incident occurred on May 14th, where I was coming off the ramp about to merge on to the highway, when my car inexplicably kicked in its four-wheel drive and dropped gears in to low. The car violently shuddered to an almost near stop with busy traffic coming from behind, resulting in a very close collision. How it was able to change gears, and why, I have no idea. But I definitely do not feel safe in my vehicle anymore.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

May 112016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle started to jerk/hard shift and slip when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 while driving on a city street. I took the vehicle into the dealer who replaced the valve body, ran the flash software update and reprogrammed the PCM. The dealer test drove the vehicle and indicated that the "trans shifts very smooth now". 20 miles later while I was driving the vehicle on city streets it began to clunk and jerk when deceleration at 30 mph and then again at 8 mph; much worse than before during acceleration. The vehicle also now lunges forwards and shakes when you come to a stop at a light/stop signs with your foot on the brake. I took the vehicle right back to the dealer who has ordered a new transmission. The vehicle only has 6500 miles on it. This vehicle is very unsafe with all the jerking and clunking and control issues. It appears these vehicles have transmission issues with no "fix" available; so I anticipate the same problem to occur when I get the vehicle back from the dealership with the new transmission.

- Jenison, MI, USA