Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Oct 122015

Grand Cherokee 4WD

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was backing up, the shifter became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 8. updated 06/15/16 the consumer stated it took multiple tries to get the E-shifter into the desired position. The shifter then returned to neutral making it difficult to see when the shifter was in the desired position. Updated 06/20/16.

- Pittsburg, NH, USA

Mar 172016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic gear shifter is difficult to use and often shifts into an unintended gear during use. For instance, when pulling into a driveway and then reversing, I often get delayed in the maneuver as the shifter will shift to N instead of R from D, or while trying to reverse from P, it will shift to N instead of R. in times of traffic, this shifter requires me to take my eyes off of the road and onto the shifter itself to make sure it is shifting into the exactly the right gear, which can be hazardous. Also, when attempting to place the vehicle in P, it will shift into R just as easily as it will shift into P. I have left my vehicle before when it is in R thinking it was in P.

- St Louis Park, MN, USA

Mar 162016

Grand Cherokee

With a cold transmission (usually) the vehicle has a hard time going from 1st gear to 2nd. There is lag/delay and then when it shifts there is a lurch forward movement. This is happening when shifting from park to drive and then moving...I.e. out of a parking space or out of the driveway entering the street. This happens daily.

- Coal City, IL, USA

Mar 112016

Grand Cherokee

Transmission frequently stuck between gears when starting from a near stop. Dealer is able to reproduce issue and computer reports that "dog clutch" is confused on which gear to be in. When applying throttle, car will not move until clutch disengages causing a strong surge. Chrysler engineering is refusing to address the issue. I feel it is a safety concern as the car doesn't move when pressing throttle until the transmission decides which gear to engage.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Feb 182016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While idling, the vehicle indepedently shifted out of park and rolled backwards. As a result, the vehicle struck a pole and kept rolling until it crashed into a fence on the top of a boulder. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and dealer, but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The failure mileage was approximately 2,000.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Cherokee

Electronic gear shifter is extremely dangerous, it takes me two or three tries to get the Jeep into the correct gear every time I start the vehicle. Fiat Chrysler needs to recall these and fix them immediately.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 032015

Grand Cherokee

Automatic transmission control does not move into park when selected without multiple attempts. Otherwise the transmission is left in reverse. The shifter needs to be redesigned!

- Broadlands, VA, USA

Feb 062016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was stationary in park after exiting vehicle while engine was running with drivers door open vehicle started moving in reverse. I had to chase vehicle and jump in to stop vehicle. Thankfully there was nothing behind vehicle

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Feb 222016

Grand Cherokee

After placing my vehicle in park, I exited the vehicle with it still running and entered my house for 3-4 minutes. When I came out of the house, the car had backed down my driveway and done a U-turn and backed into a snow bank. The car was in neutral, then.

- Cloudcroft, NM, USA

Jan 062016

Grand Cherokee

Car going forward slowly....attempting to park car.... placed shift lever towards park, all the way forward...pushed the ignition button.(to shut off ignition). Opened drivers door to get out & found car moving backwards, engine still running.....applied brake, stopped car, no damage....found shift lever indicator to be in reverse & engine still running.... thinking back I have had other times when I had thought car ign. Was off but was not........I have duplicated this condition, on purpose, several times, sense then, in an empty parking lot........engine will not shut off unless car is in park......transmission will not go into park, ,, but reverse, ,,,if car is moving very slightly forward making ignition button useless. No solid feeling from shift lever that the car is in park...........this is my 4th Jeep grand cher. All with consule shift, & over 150,000 on each with no such problems.

- Commack, NY, USA

Sep 122015

Grand Cherokee

I feel the 8 speed automatic shift lever is dangerous at best and could result in a deadly accident. On several occasions I have thought I was in park, pressed the off button and went to exit the vehicle only to find the engine was still running and I was in reverse. Since the shifter always returns to the center position, there is no positive "feel" that the lever is indeed in park. I know you can say I should have looked down to be sure the engine was actually off, and you are correct, but after some 50 years of driving I know when I think I have shifted into park and turned the engine off, and with this car you just can't tell. On one occasion I even exited the car, and when I went to open the trunk noticed the fob would not open the trunk. Suspecting the fob switch was failing, I opened the car door and found the engine was running and the car was still in drive. Thankfully, I had parked in a small pothole in an otherwise flat parking lot and idle speed was not enough for the cat to drive itself out of the hole. Additionally, if you accidently bump the shifter out of drive while in motion and into neutral, when you realize what you have done and bump back into drive, there is a several second lag before drive picks back up. Not horrible on low traffic roads, but could be a real hazard on an expressway in heavy traffic. General safety of this entire shifter assembly needs to be reviewed.

- Sellersville, PA, USA

Nov 162015

Grand Cherokee

Subject: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee gear shifter comments: I've been reading about problems with the poor design of the gear shifter on the 2014 & 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I own one of these vehicles. The design of the shifter is terrible! after several 'miss-shifts', (I stepped out of the vehicle, thinking it was in park, it wasnt!!) I know what to look for now (verifying gear position on instrument panel) and I always set my parking brake. I highly recommend that this vehicle be recalled and a fix be implemented. Jeep realized there was a problem as there was a redesign for 2016.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that due to poor design of the vehicle, the shifter would easily shift into reverse instead of park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact, who was a mechanic, stated that the design presented a safety issue but the vehicle was working up to specifications. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,500.

- Huntington Valley, PA, USA

Sep 072015

Grand Cherokee

I left my car idling, on a flat surface in a parking lot to run into a bank atm. The gear shifter did not lock into park even though I pushed it all the way forward to the park position. The vehicle rolled into a parked car. The total damage sustained by the other car was $2100, and $1000 on my Jeep gc. This shifter is not very intuitive, it is a newer electronic shifter and is not gated as most are. It does not give the driver good feel or feedback that the car is in the appropriate gear. This has been a problem from day one. If I had been pointed to the street this could have caused a major accident. This is a very dangerous situation! I brought it to the dealer to look at and they said there was no issue. Clearly there is an issue. I now see the nhsta is looking into more than 300 incidents of this rollaway issue. There are probably many many more since most people have not reported it. I have a big monetary issue this has cost, my insurance has gone up 70% as they think I was negligent and it needs to be addressed by Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat. Please feel free to call me to inquire further into the issue I am having. I have notified Jeep customer service and am taking the car in again on 2/22 for them to inspect. Thanks, glenn shepard 201-221-6994

- New Providence, NJ, USA

May 102015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After the purchase of this vehicle, on two occasions the car was in the park position [P], but, moved forward. During the first incident, my wife had parked the car at local store. When she went to leave the vehicle the car rolled into a nearby fence. During the second incident, the Grand Cherokee after being placed into park rolled into our yard. The problem with the car's park position does need to be looked at; for my wife or myself could have been injured if we had started to leave the car. In the first incident there was $1,000 in damage to the car. In the second incident there was no damage to the vehicle. Thank you for your help.

- Richmond Hts., OH, USA

Dec 112015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Although the electrical shifter indicated that the gear shifter was placed in the correct gear, the vehicle still moved independently as if it were placed in reverse or neutral. The technician stated that the failure was with the electrical shifter; however, the failure was inherent to the contact's model. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 092016

Grand Cherokee

Three times I have exited from the vehicle after I had put the Jeep into what I thought was park and then hit the button to shut it off, when really it was only in reverse and the engine was still running when I exited the vehicle. Several other times I have pulled into a parking spot, put it into what I thought was park and the vehicle started moving in reverse. When in a hurry, it is very easy to put the vehicle into park, though the electronic shifter actually stops in reverse. When I hit the power button (and it is really in reverse) you get a single ding, which again when in a hurry I thought was the car turned off. The first time it happened I was in my garage, when my feet hit the floor the vehicle started going backwards, the driver door hit me, though fortunately did not knock me down. I was able to jump into the seat and stop the vehicle a split second before the open driver door hit the garage door opening and a vehicle parked in my driveway. The other two times I exited the vehicle with it in reverse and still running were the same experience, but the vehicle did not come near to hitting anything before I jumped into the vehicle and applied the brakes. I drive a lot of rental cars and SUV's, I have never had an experience like I have had with this Jeep. I will not let my wife drive the vehicle due to several times it has not gone into park.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Oct 192015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it independently shifted to reverse. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000. Updated 04/29/16

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 282015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the contact parked the vehicle, the vehicle suddenly rolled forward and crashed into a storage unit. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000. Updated 03/08/16 the consumer stated after putting the vehicle in park, and pushed the button to turn off the vehicle, it continued to move forward and crashed through a storage room. Updated 03/14/16.

- Sugarloaf Key, FL, USA

Feb 102016

Grand Cherokee

Saw articles this week regarding NHTSA investigation of transmission shifter in 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While I am not concerned for my safety (as I have learned to keep foot on break until I locate one of the indicators that shows park while I keep pushing the shifter forward) I am concerned every time boca car wash parks my vehicle next to federal highway in downtown boca raton after going through their wash; or when a restaurant valet parks my vehicle. Unless you know this shifter, you eventually will step out when it is in reverse. Just a matter of time. Maybe the owner could be deemed responsible to make multiple attempts to get his vehicle into park with this quirky shifter, but not the valets or other people who may drive the car.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA