Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Feb 092016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic gear shift is poorly designed and unsafe. You never know when operating the shift gear if you are in park, neutral, drive or reverse. It is confusing and dangerous. I found myself on many occasions, thinking that the lever was in park, when in reality I was still in reverse or drive. I open the door to get out of the vehicle and the vehicle starts moving. I am in my 60's and have slipped couple times, when these incidents occurred. I mentioned these incidents to my local dealership and they found the power train functioning as designed.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 142016

Grand Cherokee

My wife and I have been confused with the electronic shifter on our 2015 Grand Cherokee. This issue has happened at least 7 times when we thought the car was in park but was actually in reverse or drive and almost had an accident hitting other parked cars when leaving a parking lot at a store. It has also happened to me in my garage more than a few times where I thought the car was in reverse but was in drive and again almost hit the garage wall. Thank god we never hit anything but we are very nervous about driving this car now. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else as it is very nerve racking. The last time it happened was on 1/14/2016.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Grand Cherokee

The shift unit fails to positively enter the park position when shifted to that position. It has enter the reverse mode! this has happened several times. If the shifter is accidentally bumped to the neutral position while in motion such as if you arm is on the console and hard braking caused your hand/arm slide forward contacting the shifter putting the unit in neutral, the brake must be applied before the unit can be shifted back into gear. The vehicle will be still in motion! the unit is not user friendly in selecting a gear. You must visually assure you are in the desired gear. The dial knob system Chrysler had in vehicles without a console was much more user friendly! this issue should be addressed! I believe several years back in the 70S Ford had a similar issue with the car moving from park to reverse on its own. I personally know of one lady who was dragged by the car after the door knocked her down as the car went into reverse! these issues with my 2015 Jeep have occurred several times since I have owned this vehicle.

- Stuart, FL, USA

May 012015

Grand Cherokee

On many occasions, both my wife and I have experienced this vehicle not properly going into park when shifted from either drive or reverse. If you do not look at the shifter control and assume that it is in park, it will move (in reverse) unless you stop it and re-shift into park and look at the panel. I called several Chrysler/Jeep dealership service departments to check and see if there are any other reported issues and was told that they didn't know anything about the problem. This is going to cause an accident.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Feb 172015

Grand Cherokee

On several occasions, the transmission was not full engaged in park, when I started to exit the vehicle and the unit began moving. While I have not been injured, the system of shifting needs to be improved, so that it is clear the unit is in park. It is hard to see the dash indicator regarding what gear the vehicle is engaged. The situation is unnerving at times. The vehicle operates well in other aspects.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Sep 162015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it rolled away independently and struck a tree in a parking lot. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and a third party investigator arrived to determine the cause of the failure. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and repaired by the insurance company. The approximate failure mileage was 5,812.

- Hawthorn Woods, IL, USA

Aug 252015

Grand Cherokee

I experienced the problem reported in the news article regarding the confusing Chrysler Jeep electronic shifter. I left my car running and thought I had put it into park. I walked around the car and went into my house for 5 minutes. When I came out the car had rolled down a driveway into a neighbors yard causing nearly $10K in damage.

- Truckee, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

On numerous occasions throughout 2015 the vehicle has failed to shift into park, drive and or reverse when the shift lever was actuated to select those gears ! if you do not pay particularly close attention to the indicators you do not realise that the vehicle is not in the selected gear and will roll off or move in an unintended direction. Needless to say my wife and I consider this defect to be extremely dangerous and feel it needs immediate remedy by the manufacturer. I understand the 2016 models no longer use this shifter mechanism and I suggest Chrysler should recall the older models and replace the shifter mechanism with a safer version !

- Jet, OK, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After switching to the park position and exiting with the engine running, the vehicle suddenly drove forward and struck a second vehicle. The contact sustained an injured right arm. Medical attention was not required. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. Also, while driving at various speeds, the collision avoidance system randomly activated and caused the braking system to abruptly stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Feb 062016

Grand Cherokee

I have owned a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 6 months now. On at least 3 different occasions I have exited the vehicle with the engine running thinking it was in 'park' only to find later upon re-entering the vehicle that it was actually in 'reverse'. the only thing that kept the vehicle from rolling away was that I had firmly engaged the emergency brake. Luckily, I have a habit of always using my emergency brake. In two instances, with the engine running and thinking the vehicle was in 'park' I exited the vehicle and went behind it to open the tailgate. When the tailgate would not open I went back to the driver's side only to realize the vehicle was actually in 'reverse' (which is why the tailgate would not open). Again, the only thing that kept the vehicle from rolling away (or onto me) was the firmly engaged emergency brake. I think the design of the gear shift selector is a serious safety issue that could easily result in injury, death, and/or property damage.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the gear shifter was placed in park, the vehicle began to roll backwards independently. At times, it was difficult to know if the vehicle was in park or reverse due to the failure of the gear shifter. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Park City, UT, USA

Grand Cherokee

The automatic transmission shifter does not have a positive feel and is difficult to find the correct gear. Shift gates are minimal. It is very easy to unintentionally leave the car in "reverse" when you intend to put it in "park". on one occasion I stepped out of the car while it was in "reverse" after I thought the car was in "park". you really have to apply force and double check the dash display to make sure the car is in "park". after my incident, I always find I have to double check to make sure the car is in "park". shouldn't be that way - poor engineering. We have not had an incident in some time but it takes a lot of practice to "master" the electronic shifter. I have noticed Jeep has gone to a gated shift for the 2016 model year. This would be the safest and most appropriate fix. This electronic shift could be very dangerous to someone who isn't familiar with the car.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 042015

Grand Cherokee

On 9/4/15 I was backing a boat into the lake using this vehicle. I put the vehicle into park, or thought I did, and opened the driver door. As I exited the vehicle rolled backwards, knocked me down, and the entire vehicle, with boat and trailer, went into the lake. I have noticed since then that the shifter requires you to hold it in park for a second before the park gear will engage. Slamming the shifter towards park, even with the button depressed and foot on the brake, will not always engage the parking gear. You must wait until the parking gear light on the dash is illuminated. This is not user friendly. I would suggest a sensor being installed on the transmission that automatically shifts into park when the driver door is opened, much like the Mercedes GL450.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 092015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The vehicle was equipped with the push to start keyless ignition. The gear lever was shifted into park and the push start ignition was engaged. The contact exited the vehicle. After returning, the contact discovered that the engine remained in operation. The failure recurred on five separate occassions. In addition, the vehicle independently shifted into reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Jan 122016

Grand Cherokee

On January 12 2016 at 9am I was parking in an office parking lot. After coming to a stop in the parking space behind a cement curb and 2 to 3 feet from an office building I started move the gear shift from "drive" to "park." The car suddenly surged forward at fast acceleration over the curb and into the building. My foot was on the brake but the car was only stopped by the brick building. There was considerable damage to the car and building. I contacted Chrysler corporation and the car was towed to the dealership where I had purchased it less that two months previously. On January 22, 2016 Chrysler responded they completed an investigation and that they did not believe the accident was due to a manufacturing responsibility. I requested a copy of the investigation but Chrysler has refused saying it is confidential and they have closed the case. The car is being repaired at the dealership but we do not feel it is safe to drive unless changes are made to the transmission. I have requested a letter from Chrysler that they feel the vehicle is safe to drive.

- Troy, MI, USA

Grand Cherokee

The console shifter is not atypical of a normal automatic transmission shifter. The gate does not have a feel that allows the driver to sense which gear they are in. I just recently left the car in neutral while stopping to go mail a letter at he mailbox. The Jeep started to roll and I was struct by the mirror. I am just glad I was able to get back into the vehicle and apply the brakes.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

The shifter in this vehicle is not intuitive, sticks in gears and has poor tactile feedback for desired gear. Often the vehicle stays in reverse gear when pushed all the forward when parking from drive. In multiple instances I thought the car was in park and exited the vehicle with the car running to find it was still in reverse. The car started to roll backwards as I was getting out. Also, paddle shifters are erratic and do not shift when under high RPM. I complained to the dealer a few times only to be told "it takes some getting used to". this is a serious safety issue. I've owned 5 Grand Cherokee including the 2011 year with a perfectly functional and safe gear selector.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 032016

Grand Cherokee

It is very difficult to find park or reverse with the shifter. Have left it in reverse or nuetral with engine running and exiting the car. Fortunately the parking brake was engaged which prevented the car from moving. Needs to be fixed.

- Roxkcille, MD, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Cherokee

The transmission shift knob is difficult to use and does not go into intended gear or park easily. Often I will stop the car, shift into park, and find that the car still moves after I take my foot off the brake... turns out its not actually in park. There is no intuitive way to feel that the shifter is firmly in the park position. This creates a dangerous situation. Same applies with the button/knob to turn the car off. If I am stopped and push it, it seems like it should put the car in park and shut off it does not. I have parked the car and begun to exit on at least 10 occasions when the car moved.other drivers that have borrowed my car have experienced the same thing. This is my 8th Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have owned or leased... I have not experienced this problem with any of the prior vehicles. It is dangerous.

- Chester, NJ, USA

Grand Cherokee

Shifting mechanism does not always go into park when the lever is activated and directed to the parking indicator.. one new symptom last couple of days.. the computer screen display indicates it will not go into park because the vehicle is still moving - yet the vehicle is setting still.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA