CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 062016

Grand Cherokee

Purchased Jeep Sept. 2015. Received notice of recal. Took in Aug.2016. Never any problem until they updated it. Since then, it has went into park when trying to back up, when in N, refuses to go into park. After several attempts, finally does. Very concerned it will decide to jump into park when I'm on interstate going 65 mph. Took it in again and they ckd it out and said nothing wrong. I'm not convinced, at all. Called dealer I leased it from. He said make sure you brake first before engaging. Well, I've been driving since I was 16, have never just put into any gear before braking.the whole situation is very annoying and concerning. Now what?

- Avon, IN, USA

Nov 052016

Grand Cherokee

Key fob is designed with large buttons flush with the face of the fob. This vehicle has been unknowingly remote started twice (once in an attached garage) simply by having the fob in my pocket and bending over for something as simple as tying shoes. Panic alarm has been activated several times by similar normal actions. These buttons should be recessed to protect from unintentional activation. A running car in a closed attached garage in not a good thing.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 232016

Grand Cherokee

We were driving on the highway to Maryland for thanksgiving, and while driving on the straight highway 60 miles an hour the sunroof just exploded and shattered, a lot of glass fell on top of our clothes and inside the car. It completely swerved the car but we didn't lose control and stopped at a gas station on one of the rest stops.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Nov 102016

Grand Cherokee

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo limited, purchased from a dealer new. Last week I pulled into my driveway, turned the Jeep off and went to get out and my alarm system went off. Could not turn it off with either fob, I was even able to start it up and drive. Remote start would not work for 3 days. Cruise control just turns off when it wants while driving on interstate over 60 mph. Gps states I'm off route and freezes in the location where it happened on interstate, normal weather(no overcast/fog). Wipers just start working while sitting in the driveway idling, as you're driving...no dust, rain, bugs etc...windshield leaks and rain comes in from behind the rearview mirror/sunglass holder when it rains and you have to take a sharp turn(not with normal turns)...leaks down on cell phone which sits in little cubby to charge. The vehicle surges when going under 20 mph, usually when you are trying to start from a stop is when it' worse. Under 25K miles and I am afraid as to what might happen next.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Oct 262016

Grand Cherokee

I bought my vehicle new from a dealership. It had 3,600 miles on it when I found this problem. The navigation screen cracked spontaneously which make some of the function of the touch screen unusable, heat, defroster, navigation. This is the 8.4an model. Chrysler says it is caused by damage and will not cover the repair. I did not damage this unit. I don't know when this crack occurred, you can only see it when the light hits the screen just right and you can not feel the crack even with a fingernail. I only discovered it because suddenly the defroster for the back window would not turn off using the screen. I have called Chrysler customer service and they are going to call the dealership and try to come to some sort of resolution.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Oct 232016

Grand Cherokee

While stopped at a red light the Jeep went into neutral. I pushed it back into drive 3 times but it switches back to neutral on its own. The car then shut completely off and would not restart. Had to be towed to dealer. Dealer said there is nothing wrong with vehicle. They checked transmission and test drive car.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 062016

Grand Cherokee

Jeep went in for service to correct the recalled transmission electronic shift lever on Saturday, Aug. 6th at 12:30pm. Picked up car from farrish Jeep at 5pm same day. At 8pm on the same day, the car would not go out of park, though the shift lever was in drive while in my driveway. The dashboard displayed park, while shifter was in drive. Exact thing happened with 2010 Jeep Wrangler in may, 2015 and farrish claimed to fix it 3 times in 36 hours. It had to be towed 3 times by the dealer, because the car rolled away from my teenage driver the same day we got it back from farrish(in a neighborhood) after they claimed to have fixed it. This happened 3 times in 36 hours.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 302016

Grand Cherokee

I've waited 9 months for the so called fix for the gear shift lever that has caused multiple problems and near miss catastrophes and I brought it to the dealer who installed the software "fix" and now the car won't start- dashboard says" it does not recognize the key fob and it will not start in gear" headlights also start blinking when trying to start and door locks don't work. I want another car.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 142015

Grand Cherokee

I thought the car was safely parked as I opened the electric house gate and exited the car. I wanted to enter the gate first, so that I could secure the dogs. All of a sudden, the car starts rolling down the driveway. I try to jump into the car to try to stop the car, only to be pinned against the door and the closing electric gate, I fall. I get back up again to try to stop the car, and I fall again. The car ends up rolling down the driveway and almost fully tipping over the driveway wall. The driveway is an elevated driveway, the car jumped over the 4ft wall. As you can imagine, two wreckers were needed to shimmy the car off the driveway wall. Accident free record for +20 years. The shifter is not to be trusted, in this case, it left a world of damage.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 182016

Grand Cherokee

While the car is in stationery mood, automatic transmission lever is too difficult to move to different positions. While tried to move lever to park or drive position, it automatically returns to a center neutral position and it happened few times but no damage and injury because of prompt action. It seems scary & dangerous at time.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 202016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic shifter is dangerous, I never know when I am in park, drive, neutral. It is extremely difficult to operate. I have asked Chrysler to install the redesigned 2016 model in my 2015. The redesigned model operate well. I am now concerned for the safety of myself and family members. It was predictable that someone died because of this extremely difficult and poorly designed electronic shifter. NHTSA should force Jeep/Chrysler to install the 2016 redesigned shifter in all 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Please investigate the anton yelchin death in los angeles. I drive one of these electronic shifters and I am confident that you will that this 2015 electronic shifter caused his death. It is freightning to drive this 2015 Grand Cherokee because you think you put it in park but it is really sitting in neutral.

- Elkhorn, NE, USA

Jul 042015

Grand Cherokee

Jeep was in the driveway and had remained there overnight. My husband autostarted the car using the keyfob from inside the house. My sister was behind the car as she was going to get her bag out of the trunk. The car began to move in reverse (on our flat driveway) and pinned her between the Jeep and the car behind her. The Jeep did not stop moving until someone jumped in the car and hit the brakes. The driver of the vehicle behind the Jeep was in his car. He was able to back up but the Jeep was moving fast enough to cause damage to his car. The car appeared to be in reverse, not just in neutral. My sister's patella was fractured. A recall has been issued for the vehicle stating that people are not aware that the car is not in park when the vehicle is exited. However, the Jeep was clearly in park because we were able to autostart the vehicle using the keyfob.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

May 242016

Grand Cherokee

Electronic shifter does not engage in to park. On numerous occasions the car has started to roll when I thought it was in park. The shifter is terribly dangers and cumbersome to use correctly to find gears. This is always when parking or when starting up. Dangerous.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 022016

Grand Cherokee

On numerous occasions after we bought out Jeep, after shifting the gear lever the Jeep was in a gear other than what was selected. On several occasions, we would shift the lever upward to park, push the off button, start to exit the vehicle and it would begin to roll. On April 6, 2016, my husband pulled into our garage pushed the gear shifter up into what he thought was park, pushed the off switch, raised the back hatch and began to exit the vehicle. As he exited, the Jeep rolled backwards striking the ceiling of the garage door and damaging the tailgate. We contacted the dealer to obtain a number for Chrysler customer care. We called and spoke to someone there. They assigned us a case number #29033851. A third party met us at the dealer to go over the systems on the vehicle. The estimated damaged is $1,693.30. We also sent S letter to the CEO of Chrysler regarding this issue with the shifter with no response. Since then we have heard that Chrysler will be recalling millions of the 2015 Grand Cherokee due to this issue. We finally received a letter from Chrysler stating they are not led to believe that the incident we had was due to a manufacturing responsibility. We don't understand how they can do a major recall on the same issue that caused our incident.

- Clayton, DE, USA

Nov 032015

Grand Cherokee

On 11/3/2015, I put my car in park, engine was still running, and I exited vehicle. However, car did not go into park, rolled forward, knocked me down and rolled over my left foot with back rear tire. The parking gear did not engage and I was not alerted that it was still in drive. This occurred in a parking lot. Somehow I got up, was able to run after car and dive in car and hit gearshift into neutral to stop it. I endured a crushed foot and four months of therapy. There was not damage to the car nor did I report to police.

- Durham, NC, USA

Apr 062016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep Cherokee numerous times has started rolling after stepping on the brake and shifting the Jeep into park.the Jeep sometimes goes into park sometimes goes into neutral and sometimes goes into reverse. I called Chrysler about the problem to see if their was a recall on my vehicle and they said no. I saw online about other Jeep Cherokee being recalled from 2013-2015 with the same problem with some getting into severe accidents.. the shifter in this Jeep is faulty and I told Chrysler this nothing is being done.

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Apr 042016

Grand Cherokee

Transmission shifts hard and lunges forward and and almost hit a pedestrian sometimes when sifting from reverse to drive it takes 5 or so seconds to respond

- Stamford, CT, USA

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee

Gear selector unpredictable. Sometimes hard to place in park and know it's in park. I have exited car thinking it was placed in park and ignition off only to exit car with passengers still aboard and car continue to travel under power forward. You do not want to park this car near any embankments or slopes.

- Siler City, NC, USA

Jan 122015

Grand Cherokee

Gps system tends to provide directions turning onto private drives and barely passible non public roads. Will preform route calculation, before completing start another, as many as ten in a row. System provides false locations for addresses entered. Addresses entered are plotted and directions are provided, upon nearing location system can no longer find location. In order to determine there is a problem with information provided has issues vehicle must be put into motion. The gps/navigation is part of the uconnect system which has a wide variety of operational issues involving its other components. Safety hazard is getting drive lost, arriving in unsafe areas as well as sending you onto unsafe roads/not open to the public. Memory seat does not reposition seat and mirrors into the programed positions, even with memory seat modular replaced with redesigned modular issue remains. When attempting to excelerate on an uphill grade, such as entering a highway, transmission feels like it is slipping and speed drops. After numerous repair attempts Chrysler factor service representative simply tells dealership not to make any further attempts that they expect to be compensated for.

- Kawkawlin, MI, USA

Feb 252016

Grand Cherokee

I put car in park and got out of vehicle. A few moments later I noticed that vehicle was rolling in reverse down my street. I was unable to stop it. It continued to roll until crashing into a tree. There is bumper damage and scratches and dents to the body of the car.

- Berlin, CT, USA