2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 15 of 23)

Mar 152013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V527000 (air bags). The contact attempted to contact the dealer to obtain the remedy but the parts were unavailable. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp has illuminated and her horn is inoperable. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Fisherville, KY, USA

Jan 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

Have recall on orc filter circuit and the new recall about the gas tank and I can not get Jeep to do anything about it. I called the first week in July, 2013 again Aug, 2013 and keep getting run-A-round.

- Richburg, SC, USA

Sep 092013

Liberty 6-cyl

Item #1 occupant restraint control (orc). I am chagrined with the tardiness of Jeep/Chrysler motors corporation in their tardy compliance with this recall (12V-527). Originally issued on January 3, 2013, my daughter (former owner of this vehicle) visited a Jeep dealer in Washington DC. They said "no parts are yet available...we will contact you when they are". at a later day (May 2013) my daughter visited the local Jeep dealer (courtesy motor sales, Inc., altoona pa) and inquired about the problem...again "we cannot get the parts, they are not available". I purchased the vehicle from my daughter and have visited courtesy motor sales twice since I purchased (latest August 27, 2013) with the same answer "we don't have the parts available and we will contact you when they arrive"! it is inconceivable that replacement parts are not being made available for this very dangerous problem! at the present time I am unable to drive the vehicle as the air bag light is now on constantly and the recall notes that....."a damaged computer chip could cause the airbag light to illuminate, followed almost immediately by an inadvertent deployment of the front airbags (Liberty and Grand Cherokee)......". the recall notice continues by stating that "inavertent deployment of the airbags may increase the risk of injury and the possibility of a vehicle crash". how many more injuries and possibilities of crashing must it take to get action on this? in conclusion, I cannot understand why your recalls are not being "tended to" in an expedient manner. I am getting "lip service" and you are being ignored. If either of these recall problems do happen, both your organization (for not enforcing in a timely manner) and Chrysler motor corporation (for delaying remedy) will be the responsible parties.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Aug 022013

Liberty

Recently, the airbag light has been illuminating when I start the engine. It does not go off while driving. The only way it goes off is to re-start the vehicle. Sometimes it takes several re-starts to turn the light off. After reading some articles online, I am worried that my airbags may spontaneously deploy.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 042013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to air bag system occupant restraint control module recall notice. The consumer received a recall notice in late 2012, early 2013. The consumer continued to drive the vehicle, while waiting for Chrysler to notify him, as to when the parts would be available. On or about August 4, 2013, the air bag light illuminated and it continued to come on every time the vehicle was driven, usually after a minute or two after starting to drive. The light would go out, and come back on. There was also a beep, when the light illuminated.

- Newberg, OR, USA

May 222013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that she received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V527000 (air bags) and 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The contact attempted to contact the dealer to obtain the remedy but the parts were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Maples , FL, USA

Sep 092013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V527000 (air bags) in the mail and stated that the dealer informed her that the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Flat Rock , NC, USA

Mar 012013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My air bag light kept coming on and off over a span of a couple of weeks, after researching online we found the recall on the air bag sensor. We followed up with Chrysler and they told us to call our local Jeep dealer to set up and appointment to have it fixed. Our Jeep dealer could not do this due to the fact that they do not have the part in stock. We kept calling Chrysler and the dealer for the past several months and they both have no answers for us. The part has not been delivered to the dealer to have this recall fixed. My car failed safety inspection and I now have a red R reject sticker on my Jeep. The part has been delivered to the warehouses and the Jeep dealer said it may still take a couple month to get the part.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Jan 152013

Liberty 6-cyl

I'm writing about the safety recall M35/NHTSA 12V-527 airbag system occupant restraint control module letter which I've received at the beginning of the year of 2013. I've contacted the rancho auto group, one of the Jeep dealerships in san diego and I took my car to their shop for an inspection. The authorized dealership has informed me that my vehicle requires repair not only for the recall #M35 but also #F23. They were able to fix the issue with the lower ball joint inspection/replacement, but nothing could be done about orc filter circuit due to the parts being currently unavailable. I understand that it might take a few days or maybe a few weeks to get these parts ordered, but its been over six months since I took my car to rancho auto group and nothing has been done yet. I've filled complaints over the phone, I've called the customer service a few times and the response it is always the same, I'm sorry, but the parts are still not available. I am really frustrated about this whole situation, not only because its been over nine months since I received the first Chrysler's letter, but specially because no one can tell me when my car is going to be repaired! I took my car to a private mechanic, and he told me that if I get involved in a car accident, the airbag won't go off. This is really serious, I can die because of this failure which has already been diagnosed as part of the recall #M35. However, your rep has told me that if I get involved in an accident the air bag will go off. So, who should I trust" I just don't feel safe driving my car! I want to sell it but I can't before it gets fixed. Who is going to buy a car with a safety issue" no one! so, I'm not only stuck with a car that needs to be fixed, I am putting my own life in risk by driving a car that is unsafe. That's unacceptable. Something has to be done!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 082012

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V527000 (air bags) and the part remained unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced any failures..... updated 10-17-13 the problem was fixed on Sept 24, 2013

- Crossville, TN, USA

May 092013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received recall notice NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). The contact was informed that the parts were unavailable. The air bag warning lamp illuminated sporadically. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 151,000.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Nov 142012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The contact had received notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number 12V527000 (air bags) in the mail and was advised by the dealer that the parts that were needed to complete the service were not yet available. The dealer was contacted again eight months later and stated that the parts still were not available. The manufacturer was contacted and the manufacturer stated that they had not yet determined how to remedy the defect and reprogram the air bag module. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Swan Lake, NY, USA

Dec 172012

Liberty

Airbag warning light as well as an audible tone began intermittently alerting in this car. Dealership is able to confirm airbag fault codes, but is not able to fix the car after repeated attempts and one $500 repair that failed. Chrysler group llc has refused to provide any assistance. My vehicle remains at the dealership with no action being taken and has been there for more than four months. No one at Chrysler group llc or the dealership can as much as assure me that it is even safe to drive home. I contacted Chrysler group a few time in the beginning and ultimately Chrysler called me and essentially said your car is ready. Go the dealership and pick it up. I commented that the dealership had stated that the airbag alerts were still occurring and that fault codes that could not be used to make the repair still existed in the system. Chrysler replied that the dealership had confirmed that codes were in fact present in the system that could not be related to an identifiable repair, and that the airbag warning system was still alerting, but that both situations had nothing to with the recall. I asked specifically how he could simultaneously state that an unidentifiable airbag system fault code existed, but that it categorically was not related to the recall. He became angry and frustrated and instructed me to not question him. It is evident from the aforementioned chain of events that nether Chrysler group llc or the dealership are prepared to implement these repairs or actually know what is causing the inadvertent deployment of the airbags in the affected vehicles. There have been as many as 215 reported cases of these inadvertent airbag deployments, and Chrysler has proven unable or unwilling to implement the necessary repairs. It is just a matter of time until an innocent individual is seriously injured or killed.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

May 232013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that upon starting the ignition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated intermittently. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bag) and the part remained unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide to an expected date for the remedy part. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 12V527000 (air bags) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The air bag warning light had illuminated and the contact was concerned that the air bag could deploy erroneously and without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 12V527000 (air bags) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact did not experience the air bag failure; however she was concerned that the air bag could deploy at any moment. The manufacturer confirmed that the part was not available for repair. The current mileage was 121,491. Updated 11/13/13 the recall was completed on 10/15/13. Updated 11/18/13

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle air bag recall notice. The consumer received a recall notice in January 2013. Chrysler was unable to give the consumer an estimate as to when the parts would be available.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Jan 152013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V527000 (air bags). The air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The dealer and manufacturer were made aware of the failure and stated that the part for the recall repair was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Feb 152013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). The manufacturer was made aware of the notice and was unable to provide a date of availability for the parts that were needed to complete the recall service. The contact had not experienced a failure. The current mileage was 130,000.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Aug 102010

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light comes on intermittently happens now and then.

- Rock Island, IL, USA