1. replace regulator (39 reports)
  3. call jeep at (877) 426-5337 (3 reports)
  4. put a stck under glass to keep it up (2 reports)
  5. replace your good motor with another good motor (2 reports)
  6. rig window closed with rubber door stops (2 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 072010

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

Drove out of work and the right rear window dropped halfway on its own. Same issue as before with the rear left window ...BROKEN WINDOW REGULATOR!! The left rear window regulator broke in 11/09; cost $287. This one is costing me $266. I can't afford to keep spending $300 every 6 months on windows!! Jeep should replace this item for free or come up with a better regulator than the flimsy piece of plastic crap that you are forced to buy from them!

- , Winter Spring, FL, USA

Nov 032009

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

2nd time the left rear window regulator broke. The 1st time was 5 years ago and under warranty years ago; this time it cost $287. Based on the comments on, I know it won't be the last. Damn!!!

- , Winter Spring, FL, USA

Jun 162010

Liberty 3.7L

Feel free to copy and paste the following message into the form on the JEEP website. *Customize your personal experience if you wish.

COMPLAINT Inferior and Faulty Part: WINDOW REGULATOR JUNE 18, 2010

Dear Jeep, This is a complaint against your part: INFERIOR WINDOW REGULATOR.

*This is a part I have replaced less 1 year and 3 months ago. My mechanic showed me the part and it is clearly very cheaply made and no surprise that it failed.

I will not replace the part until it is improved. Checking with my mechanic and many sources on the internet- this is a KNOWN PROBLEM. I would understand if the replacement was cheap , but at nearly $300- it is not. I would assume at that price, to receive a quality part especially since it is only available from JEEP DEALER. Please inform me when the part is brought up to the standards that Jeep customers expect.

You may expect this complaint to publicly join many others on the internet.

- , Tarpon Spring, FL, USA

Apr 282010

Liberty Limited

Thank you to all those who posted! If you stumble onto this site and are having issues with the window regulator in your Jeep Liberty, be sure to call Jeep at (877) 426-5337. My rear passenger window started falling into the door and it is rarely used. When I tried to raise it I heard the grinding of the cable in the door. After searching and finding this site, I opened up the door panel to make sure it was the cheap plastic piece of the window regulator. I called Jeep and after mentioning the issue and this site, they agreed to fix it for me even though it has been out of warranty for some time. They called the local dealer to be sure they would work with Jeep. I took it in for a diagnosis. I would have been on the hook for the diagnosis fee ($157) if it was not the regulator that was the issue, but I told the dealer that I knew it was the problem and was not interested in paying anything out of pocket. They confirmed the regulator was broken, fixed it the next day and my window is operational again. I didn't pay a dime. Jeep told me that the replacement part had been changed and they were not having the same issues with the replacement part. Hopefully that is it for one of the 4 windows. I'll do the same thing when one of the others breaks. Thanks Jeep for taking care of this.

Update from Nov 19, 2012: November 2012:

Not so happy now. Same cheap plastic piece in the window regulator broke for the 3rd time. September 2011 Jeep paid for half but I was still out $240. Now they won't do anything because of the age and mileage of the Jeep. The regulator is just 14 months old and the window has only been opened a few times. Trying to work with the local dealer to see what they can do. If they won't pay in full to fix it, I'll be going with the aftermarket metal piece or the Mopar cable with new stronger plastic piece that is attached differently and supposedly fixes the issue and replace it myself.

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

May 092010

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I feel like I'm in a support group with others who have been screwed by Jeep. I have the same problem as everybody else. I bought my Jeep used less than a month ago and the right rear window dropped. The cheap plastic part was broken just like everybody else. I am going to search junk yards for the part. I will not give Jeep $200 a pop each time this happens. Right now the window is being held up by small pieces of wood inside my door. You can not see them because they are inside the door. It is less obvious/ugly than tape on the window. Somebody please tell me there is an affordable aftermarket part that actually fixes this problem.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 182010

Liberty Limited V6

This rear passenger window regulator has been replaced twice going on number three. My drivers side has been replaced once already. All due to the same issue I have read about over and over written by jeep owners around the world. This plastic regulator design is at best a jeep oversight.

However, after speaking with the dealership service/parts department, I feel this might be something jeep stockholders were banking on as future income!! There is no way that any engineer that passed even at the bottom of their class could design something so flawed. Hats off to you Chysler Jeep, you got me to buy three window regulators since no one else carries them, what a monopoly!! However I believe I won this time, I found a replacement part for half the price and I will be buying 4 of these never to have to deal with this nightmare again. Thanks to people like the ones at whom have gotten tired of getting taken, your hustle is OVER, JEEP!!!! P.S. Never again will I buy a Jeep and no I dont work for or am I getting paid to give out this web address. I just want to help people like me ( middle class 40 hr hard working family person) find a permanent solution to this "oversight"!!

- , Surprise, AZ, USA

Feb 162010

My back passenger door lock screams everytime the door is locked or unlocked this has went on for months but i did not let it bother me, but last month the same window fell down and i can't seem to keep it up, so i can not lock my car safely, they can just get in threw the window,this really sucks and i don't have the money to fix it.warranty is up,I guess i have to live with it until i can fix it,This really sucks...

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Mar 212010

I'm just amazed that there has been no investigation of this when it seems there were not that many complaints about other things that prompted an investigation and recall. How does one go about complaining so it reaches the right people? Is this the venue that will get noticed? I love my Liberty. I bought it about 15 months ago with 80,000 miles on it and haven't had to make a repair yet. I love driving far it is my favorite vehicle I have owned to drive...and I've had many including a Ford Explorer, Chevy Cavalier Z24, Pontiac Sunfire Turbo, Subaru Forrester (loved it also). I hope this window thing is rectified so I don't start hating my fun little Liberty!

- , Brookings, SD, USA

Mar 022010

Liberty Limited 3.6L

In 2008 the passenger side window stopped working. AFter payinf more than $ 320.00, three weeks later the other side failed. I called the dealer and Chrysler once again (I called the first time too) and they said they would do nothing. AFter paying another $ 390.00 this time to fix the other side, I am NOT happy to say the least. I have owned plenty of cars in my lifetime and NEVER had a power window unit go bad, let alone the other side 3 weeks later. Just a few days ago the SAME passenger side regulator went bad, stopping once again the widnow from functioning normally. The dearlership told me it will cost me $ 397.00 to get this fix.

- , Holland, PA, USA

Sep 102005

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I got sick of throwing my $ away so I have the two rear windows disconnected from the power switch and have the glass being held in the closed position with vise grips. It sucks that I cant open them but after both windows broke with out even using them I didn't want to take the chance of it happening again. The second time it happened I was with my kids at lion country safari in Florida. We had to leave the park after being there for 15 minutes. And of course I couldn't get a refund.

- , Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 312009

Liberty Limited

This will be the fifth window regulator that I have replaced on this window. It is a bad design that is costing Jeep owners a lot of money. Chrysler refuses to do anything and if the part is over 12 months you are out of luck. Dig a little deeper. I know three other people that have the same problem continuously. I will never buy a Chrysler or Jeep again- no wonder they are going bankrupt.

- , Stroud, OK, USA

Jul 152009

Liberty 3.7L

The RR window on my 02 Lib fell and this caused the rear door to “deadbolt” itself. It will only open 3/4 inch and then the latch catches on something. I'm suspecting the broken window cable may be keeping the lock mechanism from fully releasing. Not only is this preventing the repair to be made, but it is a safety problem, trapping anyone who rides in the right rear inside the car.

- , Henderson, NV, USA

May 012009

Liberty 3.6L

My jeep Liberty, my black money pit. Bought this car brand new in 2002, since then I have changed my window regulators 8 times. 7 in the back windows and 1 in the front pass. side. Went to 2 different jeep dealers and got the same B.S. answers of why they are breaking. Come on, dirty windows, My back windows haven't been put down in 3 years on purpose because I knew the windows would break. Oh guess what, they broke anyway. I called Jeep about this and spoke with something in India. Good ole American product with the great foreign custumer service you can't understand. I am just pissed that chrysler is getting more of my money with the Obama charity plan for big buisness. Just let them go out of buisness, they are producing products that are sh*t. Then sending jobs over seas, useing tax payers money. All and all, admit your wrong and the product has a defect and fix it. American Quality is all gone and so is the country.

- , Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Oct 012003

Liberty Limited 3.2L

I've seen the posts about the window regulator going out in the rear windows. EVERY year that I have owned the Jeep, a window regulator has gone out. First it was the rear drivers side window, the next year it was the passenger one, then the next year it was the drivers side one again, then the passenger one.

So far it has been 3 times for the drivers side window regulator and now the passenger one went out again for the third time. Like I said, each year one or the other has to be replaced. The last time the drivers side went out ALL warranties were done. So I complained to Jeep about the piece of crap they manufactured and they replaced it for me with a co-pay of $25. Now it's back to complaining to them again. I'll never buy a Jeep again, it's ridiculous!

No wonder the auto industry here in the US is having so many problems, giving out big bonus's to their CEO's and producing defective parts that need to be replaced every year.

- , Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Nov 052008

Liberty Limited 3.6lV6

can we get a recall!! or even just a redesigned part to solve this "plastic clip" problem? or sell me just the cable and track why should i buy a new regulator motor if mine works fine.

- , Millersfalls, MA, USA

Feb 122007

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I just saw where this same complaint with 2003 liberty. The regulator was replaced in February 2007 in the rear passenger window. Cost a little over $300 to repair. I am the only driver of vehicle and live in Southern Louisiana. Have NOT rolled down window since it was replaced. Happened again today. Of course when I called, the warranty on part is only 1 year. This is obviously a defective part since there are so many posting of this same problem.

- , Houma, LA, USA

Jan 092008

Liberty Sport 3.7L

This is the third or fourth time this same repair has had to be made. A plastic part keeps breaking. I don't understand why Chrysler can't design a decent part to connect the window with the motor.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA