7.6

1. replace regulator (39 reports)
  3. call jeep at (877) 426-5337 (3 reports)
  4. put a stck under glass to keep it up (2 reports)
  5. replace your good motor with another good motor (2 reports)
  6. rig window closed with rubber door stops (2 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 062016

Liberty 3.5L

this is the 3rd time this has happened over a period of years

- , Croydon, PA, USA

Apr 072016

Liberty Sport

I just purchased the Jeep at the Holidays...yes I anticipate issues with an older vehicle but to learn that there's already been a warranty extension for this issue, the dealer should have requested this to be addressed before resale. It's common sense if all years are having the same problem, suck it up Jeep and pay for all customers still driving your vehicles to have this issue fixed.

- , Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Aug 122015

Liberty

This is the fourth window regulator to break in the last 3 years (twice on the replaced parts through a Jeep dealer) and it's expensive to fix! Jeep recalled other models with this problem and I think they should recall the regulators in my Jeep. I'm tired of the down time and paying for defective parts.

- , Hayden, ID, USA

Jan 012004

Liberty Sport

The first time the regulator failed the cable or wedged in the door opening mechanism and made it so we couldn't open the door at all. This was the left rear door. After that was fixed by the dealer under warranty I ended up replacing that same door reg three more times out of pocket then the right rear window reg had to be replaced three times and the right front passenger window regulator was replaced twice and the drivers side once.

I ended up using box tape to hold up the right rear and never lowered the left rear again. 10 regulators replaced 9 of which I had to pay out of pocket for, at a cost of between $ 145 and almost $200 each. This was my only major complaint on the vehicle but it was definitely a pain in the ass. I have since gotten rid of it but would love to see some kind of reimbursement.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Apr 202015

Liberty LX

THIS IS THE THIRD TIME I HAVE HAD TO REPAIR THE WINDOW REGULATOR. I CAN SEE FROM RESEARCHING ONLINE THAT IT IS A COMMON PROBLEM AND THERE IS ACTUALLY A CLASS ACTION SUIT PENDING. I WOULD LIKE CHRYSLER TO SEND ME $$$$ TO FIX THE PROBLEM THIS TIME.

- , Mercerville, NJ, USA

Mar 052015

Liberty Limed 3.7L

I bought the vehicle used in 2007 in Bedford, TX. the passenger window regulator broke the second day I had the car, so I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it with no charge. Then in February of 2009 it did the same thing and my nephew took it to the nearest Jeep dealership and got it fixed at a cost of $259.52.

When I got home and found out about this I called them to ask why it wasn't covered and they said I had to take it back to where it was fixed when it first happened. I was transferred back to Texas and again the regulator broke and I went to the dealership that had bought out the place it was originally fixed.

It broke on 8/24/2010 and after calling Jeep a dozen times and finally writing a letter to the President of Jeep the representative called me and they refunded the amount paid in 2009 and said that it would be covered if it happened again. It happened again on 6/26/2011, 3/29/2012 and on 4/16/2013 at Grapevine Dodge Chrysler Jeep in Grapevine, TX where it was fixed with no charge per the agreement with Jeep.

I live in Nampa, ID now and so when it once again broke last week, I called the local Jeep Dealership Peterson Stampede and talked to a service writer and offered to give her the VIN number so she could look it up but no she didn't want that. She wanted me to bring it in so they could diagnose it which costs anywhere from $95 to $150 then they give you another cost to f it. I explained what had happened in the past and said I had all the work orders and would give them copies. In the end she didn't want anything I offered just me to bring it in and diagnose it.

The next day I stopped by the dealership and talked to another service writer and gave him the copies and history. On Monday the original service writer called and she had checked on it and said there was no warranty on it and it would still have to be diagnosed. After wasting the entire morning talking to her and Jeep Customer service they still wanted me to bring it into be diagnosed and the first customer service person said they would consider absorbing part of the cost and the second man I talked to said they would not be assisting in the cost.

I told the Service Writer that I had no intention of paying $65 to $150 when it was obvious what the problem was. At this point I am going to write to Jeep directly since it is them that is going back on their word. Then I will probably buy an after market regulator since after 6 Jeep regulators it still isn't fixed and have it repaired at someplace who cares about their customers.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Dec 012014

Liberty

WE HAVE REPLACED WITH OUR OWN MONEY THESE WINDOW REGULATORS MANY TIMES FOR ALL. GET THAT ALL WINDOWS AND CHRYSLER DOES NOTHING TO RECALL AND FIX THE PROBLEM WITH SOMETHING BESIDES PLASTIC PARTS. SAME GOES FOR FRONT SEAT ADJUSTMENT LEVERS. THIS SUCK CAR HAS BEEN OUT FROM UNDER WARRANTY FOR A WHILE AND SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE CHRYSLER FIX ALL OF THEIR SHOTTY PARTS.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 232012

Liberty Sport 3.7L

We have had the window regulator fixed about five times. Three times on the driver side rear and twice on the passenger side rear. We now have duct tape holding them up because of the price to repair. Twice it was repaired free by the dealer because it was less than a year from the last repair. We have asked the dealer if anyone else was having this problem and we were told no they weren't aware of any problems.

- , Roy, UT, USA

Oct 102011

Liberty 3.7L

I fixed one window, back passenger, then the driver side window stop working, it is annoying on a hot day, or just not being able to let down the back window. I bet the head honchoes windows are not going out. Jeep put their customers in crap. I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 142009

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

This problem is annoying. I have duct taped the back windows since 2010 and I have put in place wedges to hold up the two back windows. This is a problem if I have small passengers in the back. This does cause a problem with the locks and child safety locks. I have spent too much money on this. I have lost money on a warranty that did not reimbursed me in full when they went bankrupt. I still have the Liberty.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 162006

Liberty Sport

List track of the times the 2 back windows regulators were replaced. Finally gave up and now boards in doors keeping up!!!!!

Also transmission went out in 2006 and still had to pay some on it. Has anyone else had transmission gone out?

- , St Joseph, MO, USA

May 072014

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

I just bought a 2002 jeep liberty limited 4 wheel drive and within my first week two windows broke. Now, I read on complaints that the engines don't last very long. With I had read reviews before buying. Will sell for what I have in it. Jeep should fix their repeat problems! Jeep make things right please?

- , Paragould, AR, USA

Dec 272013

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Right rear window regulator again. I am up to 8 total now and will go back at Chrysler to fix it at no charge or at least agree to cost of repair minus $150 co-pay again. I can't believe they can't replace this part with one that will last more than a year or two.

Dec 012011

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Right rear window regulator again, this is the 7th of the 8 times and this time I complained to everyone and filed a complaint with BBB. They reimbursed me for the cost of the repair minus $150 co-pay.

Aug 012010

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Left rear window regulator this time, #6 and again I had to shell out a co-pay.

Jan 222008

Liberty 3.2L

Well, all the windows broke one at a time. They are $200.00 to fix each. I put cardboard between the car and window so it wouldn't fall down, what a joke.

- , Pompano Bch, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Liberty Renagade V6

Someone could die over this there is a real danger if for some reason a person needed to get out of the car and they couldn't their could be a death.

- , Bennington, VT, USA

Jun 292012

Liberty

Overall our Liberty has been a GREAT car. My wife loves it and has driven it all over the place. We don't have small kids so she doesn't have passengers often, especially in the back seats. Honestly, I can't tell you if this window has ever been rolled down before. If so, not much! The other day, as she's driving down the highway, the window falls half way open and won't respond to the control. Not good in 100 degree TX heat. As I'm searching the internet this morning for a fix, I run across this thread and see what a common problem this is. I'm shocked there's not a recall in place for this!

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Liberty Renegade 3.7L

Just dropped my car off at dealer - This is the 7th time I have had to replace the window regulator - All 4 windows - one window 3 times and the current one (RR) was replaced 3 years ago. 7 times in approx. 5 years - Didn't have a problem the first few years and I am the original owner. Spoke with Jeep customer service and was told it wouldn't be covered this time. (They did cover it last time.) Very frustrated!

- , La Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 042012

Liberty Sport 3.7L

The rear passenger window would not shut. Ordered the part and having the mechanic put it in.

- , Hornby Island, BC, Canada