7.4

1. replace window regulator (38 reports)
  3. wedged cardboard between windows/frames (3 reports)
  4. fixed with small diameter wire or small cotter pin (1 reports)
2003 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 262016

Liberty Sport V6

While driving on the freeway the passenger window suddenly fell open and would not go back up. And it was a hot windy day today not to mention the noise, plus now I dare not run any errands or park the car where it can be vandalized. Plus we may have rain this next week and we do not have funds to fix this until after the first of the month.

- , Victorville, CA, USA

May 022016

Liberty Sport 3.7L

2 rears went right away, front drivers just went. This sh*ts getting old! How's that class action lawsuit going?

- , Mt Ephraim, NJ, USA

Jan 202006

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Both front right and rear left have the problem, parts are not cheap. My friend also have the same problem. It an under design froom factory.

- , San Juan, Puerto Rico

May 102010

Liberty Sport V6

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER JEEP UNTIL THIS FIXED AND I WILL CONTINUE TO MY FRIENDS ABOUT THE PROBLEM.

- , Swansboro, NC, USA

Oct 282015

Liberty

Was driving when the rear right window fell down about 4 inches. When I tried to push the button to raise it, it made a noise then immediately went silent with the window still down. I can pull it up when I stop, but the thing falls right back down the minute I start driving. Very annoying.

- , Royersford, PA, USA

Aug 042014

Liberty

While driving on the highway, my backseat drivers side window fell into the door. I would dig it out and wedge it to keep it shut. I got a quote for $1200 for fix it. I ended up using gorilla glue to keep it shut.

- , Arlington, MA, USA

May 112015

Liberty Limited V6

WELL, THIS IS THE LATEST PROBLEM WITH THIS LEMON. BOTH WINDOWS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE JUST FALL WHEN THEY WANT TO. NOW THE OTHER SIDE PASSENGER IS STARTING TO DO THE SAME, SO I TRY NOT TO USE ANY WINDOWS, WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS. MY TRUCK DOESN'T RUN WELL WITH THE AC ON ALL THE TIME. IT DOESN'T WANT TO SHIFT GEARS RIGHT. SOMETIMES I HAVE TO LET UP OFF THE GAS FOR THE TRUCK TO SHIFT.

HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS WRONG WITH THIS VEHICLE SINCE I GOT IT, AND WISH I HADN'T.

1. WINDOWS DON'T WORK 2. GO THROUGH A LOT OF TIRES AND HARDLY GO ANYWHERE. 3. STALLED OUT A FEW TIMES, NEVER ANY WARNING 4. DOESN'T SHIFT RIGHT WHEN AC IS ON, ITS AN AUTOMATIC!!! 5. ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON NO MATTER IF I GET IT CHECKED ON, COMES BACK ON NEXT DAY 6. FRONT WINDSHIELD LEAKS IN A HARD RAIN 7. SUNROOF IS STARTING TO RUST, NOT SURE HOW LONG THAT WILL WORK OR LEAK. 8. ALL THE RECALLS ON THIS 2003 9. SINGLE LADY THAT CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY ANYTHING ELSE.

- , Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA

Aug 062013

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

I bought my car and in 2013 rear windows would not roll down, and now the front passenger window will not roll down. I have actually been stopped by other Jeep owners asking about my windows, for them to tell me they have replaced theirs several times for it to stop working again. Therefore I have not replaced mine for I don't have the money to continuously replace it. I am fixing to get the front passenger side replaced soon though. Why hasn't Jeep put this problem on some kind of recall since so many people having same problem? They wanted me buy a newer model but I no longer trust Jeeps for they have to many problems that they won't take care of.

- , Channelview, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Cheaply put together apparently!! Would like to find out how to join the Class Action Lawsuit against the company!!

- , Lufkin, TX, USA

Jan 012006

Liberty Sport 3.2L

I HAVE HAD THE REGULATOR FIXED TWICE ON ONE SIDE AND THREE TIMES ON THE OTHER SIDE AND CANNOT KEEP SPENDING MONEY ON THIS PROBLEM ,THAT MAY ONLY LAST A FEW MONTHS I HAVE RESORTED TO TAPING THE WINDOW UP, BUT I REALLY NEED A PERMANENT FIX. IS IT POSSIBLE TO JOIN THE CLASS ACTION SUIT OR AM I ALREADY PART OF IT AS AN OWNER? THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP THAT COMES MY WAY.

- , Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Jan 042011

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

I've tried getting local dealerships through Military relocations to make repairs at no cost, but no support. I've just wedged cardboard between window and frame and attempted several times with just wedging window up internally from beneath the glass (as permanent fix) with wood.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 102013

Liberty Limited 3.2L

Should have a recall on this problem since it's a widespread issue!

- , Springfield, IL, USA

Apr 102014

Liberty LTD V6

Have had my window regulators fixed 3 times. Called Chrysler and they said it is not defective. What BS.

- , West Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 052014

Liberty 3.2L

i am very dissappionted that the rear window regulator is under recall and now they say the front is not. what a crock of bs. bad enough that the rear window regulator went bad but now the front window regulator. come on jeep dealer get real

- , Rome, NY, USA

May 242013

Liberty Sport 3.2L V6

I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty 3.2L 6cyl. Love the car for the roughness it withstands on a daily level but as far as having to replace parts that are failing at the same time its almost worth getting a new car. All three of my windows are broken. The only window that is working is the front passenger side. I too am not able to afford paying to have all the windows repaired let alone one window at this time. You think you have it bad? not only are my windows not functioning but now I have some unknown burst of exhaust fumes coming into the cabin while my air is running that steals your breath away. I have to roll down my only window that works and open my drivers door to get fresh air. Now tell me that's not a hazard issue. I have searched the web continuously for someone having the same issue and it appears there are several individuals that have experienced the same exhaust encounter but have not clue what, where, why or how it is happening. Along this path of research is where I have also educated myself that there are several recalls on my particular vehicle that I have never been sent notice on. One major recall is the front control arms and ball joints where you can lose control of steering and crash. NICE Chrysler, but first should I be more concerned about the gas tank exploding or just wait to die of the exhaust inhalation? Sounds more like a death trap car. Don't get me wrong, Love the jeep for its size, really easy to park, get in and out of, rough car and takes a licking but come on? can we make it more sturdier? With the amount of complaints with the windows, Chrysler needs to step up and recall the regulators, not only that but I am also having issues with the shocks that hold up my hood and the back hatch window. I cant tell you how many times I've gotten nearly knocked out putting in groceries. One day someone might find me knocked out behind my car, scratch their head and wonder hmmm? I refuse to replace the windows for now. They have been broken for a year. The recall will come sooner or later.

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Oct 172013

Liberty Sport 3.7L

On October 17, 2013 while driving children home from school, the left rear window decided to drop down. It was a cold day and uncomfortable getting home but we arrived safe. I was fortunate enough that the window did not fall completely into the door space. I was able to pull the window up and for safety measures, I taped the window up. The motor still runs when trying to raise the window but nothing happens in raising the window. I have missed some recalls on my Jeep as I do not think to check if something is not wrong. I found that there have been many complaints about the window regulators. In 2007 Chrysler did an extended warranty for 7 years and unlimited miles but I am told there is no help with the 2003 models. This is obviously a problem that has plagued the Jeep Liberty for quite some time and I do not understand why Chrysler would not take care of it. I do not have the $335.00 to repair this and wintertime is already here.

I am trying to do research on the problem but it is hard to fight for the repair when Chrysler keeps telling me my vehicle is not covered. I found a class action lawsuit about the problem and it seems like it was on behalf of Jeep owners NATIONWIDE but will probably have to search more information on the outcome of it:

Michael Wolfington v. Chrysler Group, LLC, Class Action Case No. 10CV2623IEG BLM) The Chrysler Jeep Liberty Door and/or Window Regulator class action lawsuit complaint is reportedly brought on behalf of the following putative classes of persons, unless otherwise excluded:

During the fullest period allowed by law, all persons and entities nationwide that purchased or leased a Covered Vehicle manufactured by Chrysler. Covered Vehicle is defined to include model year 2002 through 2007 Jeep Liberty Vehicles. (“the Nationwide Class”)

It is certainly not a comfortable feeling knowing that at anytime if the tape lets loose, this window can fall into the door, break into the vehicle...unknown injuries can occur.

I will keep searching and most definitely look forward to help with any information from anyone who may know more than I have been able to find thus far. I do need to get this repaired.

- , Morrice, MI, USA

Apr 022012

Liberty Limited 3.2L

My window next to my child's car seat fell while I was driving. It's a safety hazard to people in the vehicle as well as a theft concern. This is the third time this has happened, and Jeep needs to take responsibility for a faulty product!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 212012

Liberty Limited

I have been asked when I am out and about how I like my Jeep! I have been very lucky after reading all of the complaints. Got home tonight pulled the car in the garage went to roll up windows and the passenger window won't come up. Thank God I have a garage!

Of course it is getting ready to pour down rain...so I come in the house and got on the computer thinking I am going to fix it myself. Well this old lady has decided that she doesn't have the patience after watching the video. So I guess the next best thing is to find a piece of cardboard cause I think it's going to rain all day tomorrow and I don't want a wet ass!

- , West Carrollton, OH, USA

Jun 092012

Liberty Sport 4.6L V6

I have had 2 window regulators fail on this 2003 Jeep Liberty because of the "cheap" design.

I removed the regulator and drilled a small hole through the plastic piece that broke. That is the plastic piece that the coil and cable fits into that slides up and down the track that raises and lowers your window. You can take a small cotter pin or a small piece of strong wire and wrap around the cable and thread through the small hole that you drilled. Must be very careful because the wire/cotter pin must be small enough that it seats itself down below the level of the spiral coil so that it can slide into the tracking assembly. Secure the wire/cotter pin on the backside of the broken piece and reassemble and replace.

You have provided yourself with a lifetime warranty on your window regulator for less than a $1.00.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA

May 112012

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Have replaced the window regulators twice, looking to replace another one this week...5 regulators replaced in 4 years. Something has to be done about this issue.

- , Cleveland, TN, USA