2004 Jeep Liberty suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Feb 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure), NHTSA campaign number: 12E047000 (suspension) and NHTSA campaign number: 12V085000 (suspension) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the manufacturer was not releasing the recall part to the dealers. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- W Wyoming , PA, USA

Nov 022014

Liberty 6-cyl

Two occupants in car driving 2004 Liberty limited on city street, heard loud popping noise and rear of car began fishtailing uncontrollably like it was on ice. Pulled car off of road and car was towed to independent dealer. Inspection by mechanic revealed that left rear control arm had snapped completely through due to corrosion and right rear control arm was almost corroded through. Pictures show that the part the control arm is attached to has little or no corrosion. Wife contacted Chrysler recall center. Representative stated that Virginia is not included in the recall for this failure. Washington, DC and West Virginia are included in the recall. Washington DC is only 15 miles from where the car is kept in Virginia. This does not make sense that Virginia is not included in the recall. Contacted Chrysler recall center again and they will be sending an inspector out to examine the failure. Recall representative seemed very concerned that no one was injured. There was no warning or difficulty in handling before this failure occurred. Most certainly would have been a different outcome at beltway speeds.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 162014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Catastrophic failure of right rear suspension lower control arm resulting in loss of control of vehicle.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jun 112014

Liberty

During a routine oil change it was noted that the suspension and oil pan were excessively rusted.

- Woodstock, IL, USA

May 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, another driver noticed that the rear driver's side wheel was wobbling. The independent mechanic diagnosed that the rear lower arms needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ruidoso , NM, USA

May 012014

Liberty

Recall #L27 recall issued to "northern states" for the effect of salt on lower rear arms. I live in ruidoso New Mexico in a snow/salt area at 7,000 foot elevation. I almost had a wreck with the lower rear arms malfunctioning. I had the car repaired and then found out there was a recall issued years before. Chrysler has refused to pay the invoice for fixing the lower rear arms. They claim the recall is for "northern states" only. Sorry, this appears to be a Chrysler financial decision. Since they admit that salt can negatively effect the lower rear arms, the error seems to be Chrysler defining where in the country there are heavy salt/snow winters. I am simply thankful we did not have a wreck and want reimbursement for the repair. I feel it is grave mistake not to have the recall apply to Jeep Liberty 2014. If the car is not in a salt/snow area there should be no reason for recall repairs. If a car is used in a salt/snow area anywhere in the United States and it is impacted by salt then the recall repair should be completed. And--it is the right thing to do.

- Rudoso, NM, USA

Aug 222014

Liberty

My complaint is with the Chrysler recall N46/nhsta 13V-252. I received two (2) recalls -one last Dec. 2013 and in August 2014 for the rear structure reinforcement. I called 2jeep/Chrysler dealers and was told that they were only provided 5 trailer hitches and had a waiting list of 55. I was told to call back in mid-September. This recall is a joke. I called Chrysler recall asst. Center and spoke with taylor and was told that the trailer hitches were still being manufactured and that the hitches and subsequent repairs should be done within two (2) years. This is unacceptable. I was told when I got the first recall notice to wait for the second that the parts would be available and they are not. I believe Chrysler is not acting in good faith to its customers and has no intention of replacing the recalled items. I believe that they are just waiting for the Jeep in question to disappear and go to junk yards. They have no intention in fixing the problem. The problem with the rear structure reinforcement is just too expensive for them to fix. I feel right now that the end result of this recall that only 10% of the Jeep in question will actually be repaired. I have never gone through such a long, deceitful recall before. I have zero faith in Chrysler doing the right thing without another governmental court order.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Aug 262012

Liberty 6-cyl

When on vacation getting ready to drive back home from nc to NY turning into a parking lot the right front ball joint snapped. We had to have the vehicle towed to have it repaired only to find out when we arrived home and I looked up online that there had been an previous recall on this that I was never notified of. The repair tech ripped the "better brand" more expensive moog brand boot when he put it on and didn't tell us. We didn't find out until arriving home & then we had to take it to another shop 45 min away to have it repaired again.. if we had been notified previously we would have had this taken care of prior to and had it fixed the right way. Thankfully we were pulling into a gas station parking lot at the time of the incident and not 20 min later when we were driving 65 mph down the highway or this could have caused a serious accident.

- Port Byron, NY, USA

Jul 312014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Since I received the first notice of the recall for my Jeep Liberty purchased new and still drive I attempted to get it repaired at a Chrysler dealer more than four times and four times telling me they were out of parts and I will receive a letter telling me when to bring it in, none of them took any of my information and wanted to put me on a waiting list of any kind. This last time the place nearest my home was the last straw, the service manager jeff carnival at crystal automotive at 143 cortez blvd in brooksville, Florida 34613. Got downright nasty with me. I suggest he would not have taken such liberties if I wasn't 72 years old and disabled. Of course I left since accomplishing nothing again. Do you have the ability to help me out with this ongoing problem. Its really been a long time getting this done. You can assure Chrysler if such a incident should occur where my wife and I are injured. My family will surely sue them for neglect and injuries. Really mad about the treatment I have been receiving.

- Spring Hill,Florida, FL, USA

Jul 132014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and after inspecting it the contact noticed the front passenger ball joint was fractured. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number 12E047000 (suspension). However, the parts needed for the recall repairs were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 142014

Liberty 6-cyl

Notified by the local repair chain worker that my front suspension needed to be fixed as soon as possible. The repair would cost about $1800 or so. I just recently graduated from school & live pay check to pay check. I them called the local Jeep dealership (sam swope Jeep) and was confirmed that there had been previous recalls related to the Liberty''s suspension system. I also wrote to the manufacturer, but have not heard anything from them. The dealership said that the recall repairs were taken care of. If it was" taken care of" then I shouldn't have the suspension needing repair. Either the recall repair was shoddy work. Not actually done. Or the work was a temporary fix. In either case, I need the manufacturer to make the repair at no cost to me & provide S loaner vehicle while the repair is being made. Regarding the recall I found that.... consequence: When the driver continues to operate the vehicle with this condition, the contamination can lead to corrosion, accelerated wear and possibly separation from the steering knuckle causing a loss of vehicle steering control increasing the risk of a crash. I have to travel the highways and across a bridge to get to and from work. I do not want to be a fatality or be the cause of someone being a part of an accident or fatality. The manufacturer should want to maintain a good customer relationship and have a loyal customer. Also, the manufacturer should want to value their reputation.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 132013

Liberty 6-cyl

Almost in fire and shake all the car but im fine.

- Venice, CA, USA

Apr 302014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle would slightly vibrate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the front upper ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 7/16/14 the consumer also stated, the new ball joint/control arm caused the front wheel bearings to break, which caused the steering to wander and made the vehicle difficult to control.

- King, NC, USA

Mar 242014

Liberty 6-cyl

I had just picked my 5 year old daughter up from school and we was on our way home; we went to turn the corner and it felt like that back of my Jeep was falling off. I lost control and went off the road a bit. Regained control and got the vehicle stopped. Shortly after I got ahold of my step dad and we managed to get the Jeep to the dealership and come to find out my rear control arms broke. Out of nowhere I had no warning or anything I know there is usually some sort of warning when the control arms are about to break.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Jan 082013

Liberty 6-cyl

2004 Jeep Liberty 4X2 has speed wobble, throws the Jeep side to side and is increasing in sway monthly if not daily. Now when you lift off the accelerator to slow down the Jeep throws itself to the right. When the Jeep has four people in it and some weight in the rear trunk area it is not noticed but when it is just the driver or one other passenger the speed wobble is noticeable. It is causes the steering to be extremely loose and sloppy so much to the point that an attempt to avoid road debris may throw the Jeep into a death roll because it is already center of gravity challenged being a stock Jeep with no modifications, Jeep are made this way but the steering is even more dangerous now then ever. Our Jeep was purchased in Florida and now I am retired military living in Virginia along the coast like in Florida I believe our Jeep Liberty needs to meet the recall standards as the ones listed in the "suspension rear lower control arm" recall. This is a bad situation.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 022013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle began to swerve violently. The vehicle was included in two separate recalls associated with NHTSA campaign id numbers: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, and structure) and 12V085000 (suspension). The contact stated that the vehicle was not serviced under the recall because the remedy parts were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 131,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 302013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 12V085000 (suspension) however, the part needed to remedy the defect was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mt. Washington, MD, USA

Sep 202013

Liberty 6-cyl

The rear lower control arm on my 2004 Jeep Liberty has fractured. It appears to be heavily rusted.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Aug 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

Had just driven my 2004 Jeep Liberty on freeway from fort lauderdale to miami international airport with no advance warning, noises etc. After parking for a brief period I attempted to steer the vehicle out of tight parking spot and the front upper right ball joint snapped out of place and subsequently the tire itself. Vehicle was towed to the nearest Chrysler dealership and they informed me that both the front control arms, upper ball joints would have to be replaced as it is likely the left ball joint will fail with or without notice and would be a safety hazard to drive it without both being replaced. The Jeep had just recently, Aug 2012 had a recall notice to replace the rear upper control arms/ball joints, and also in 2006 the lower front control arms/ball joints. Called Chrysler directly to advise of the most recent ball joint failure to a vehicle that is in otherwise excellent condition with only 55,000 miles. Based on the previous recall notices regarding control arms/ball joints requested assistance with the most recent issue. They refused to offer any assistance. It is obvious Chrysler is and has been having issues with control arms/ball joints on this year and model, and upon further research many other years and models. The issue poses a huge safety risk to other unsuspecting owners of the 2004 Jeep Liberty and similar makes and models that with little or no warning this issue could occur on a highway at any speed resulting in potentially tragic consequences. Considering the amount of labor it takes to replace damaged lower control arms/ball joints, and its because of a recall notice one would think it prudent to replace the upper ones at the same time.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jul 202013

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving 40mph down the road straight not even turning and my ball joint broke off landing on my rim splitting it in two. The axle is now being pulled out leaking fluid the tire is ruined (only 6 months old).

- Portland, OR, USA