2006 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Apr 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system) was received on April 24, 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Barnesville, OH, USA

Jun 092015

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving down the street when the diesel Jeep stalled. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the street. I checked and there was air in the diesel fuel line. When I used the pump to prime it fuel started leaking around the heating element electrical fitting. When I pulled the fitting you could see charring around the end. The vehicle now gets air in the lines and stalls all the time. I have pulled the electrical connection because I am afraid of fire.

- Spearfish, SD, USA

Oct 132006

Liberty

This has been happening since the Jeep was brand new. There is no auto-stop when filling the Jeep. Up to a gallon, or more, will spill out if you cannot stop it in time. This causes fuel to get all over the vehicle and the person pumping the fuel. We have talked with the dealer about this problem repeatedly (in two states - New Jersey and Maine) and it seems there is nothing they can (or will) do. We cannot be the only one with this issue.

- Warren, ME, USA

May 122015

Liberty

I bought this used vehicle 2 years ago. It currently has a recall on the gas tank. The way the dealership "fixes" this recall is to install a trailer hitch, which is laughable, at best. The testing agencies have proven that a trailer hitch is only minimally effect up to 25 mph and not effective at greater speeds. I requested the dealership "work with me" so that I could buy a safer vehicle from them. They are only willing to offer me the same trade-in amount as if I were trading vehicle solely because I want a new vehicle. I would keep this vehicle, if it were safe. I've contacted metal manufacturing businesses and requested that they build me a safe, strong gas tank and bumper to replace that which is currently in the vehicle. I am willing to pay the price to make this vehicle safe. The manufacturing facilities have refused to build any parts for me because the liability, after an accident, would revert to them rather than the burden being on Jeep. I have told the dealership that I have a safety problem but they don't seem to think I should get any financial consideration when trading in an unsafe vehicle that can not be made safe either by me or by Jeep. They will only offer me less than kelly blue book for trade in and have taken $1,000 of the retail price of the new vehicle. This is inadequate considering they sold me an unsafe vehicle which can not be fixed. The dealership is darlings; po box 277; brewer, Maine 04412-0277. Phone: 207-669-6570.

- Blue Hill, ME, USA

May 062009

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the engine light remained illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel cap needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 181,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 092015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 5/29/15 updated 9/17/2015

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 032014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Every time for the past 9 months when I have filled up my gas tank it overflows and doesn't shut off.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notice of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system) in July of 2014. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be provided. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mt. Plesant, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Liberty

Been happening a lot lately and it seems I am not the only one. Filling up my Jeep with gas and the pump does not kick off. Fuel comes gushing out all over the place. Seems extremely dangerous and while thousands have the same issue, nothing has been done.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Dec 112013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The contact made numerous attempts to have the vehicle repaired; however, the dealer stated that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Mar 152015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

First refuel since purchase on 3/7/15. Gas tank overflowed onto ground and on person refueling. Fuel nozzle shut off after gas gushed out.

- Mooresburg, TN, USA

Mar 072015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

During refilling of the fuel tank, the fuel shutoff mechanism does not work properly and fuel always overflows onto the ground. Research reveals that problems of this type are known to be caused in Jeep of this year by the inlet check valve (icv). The recall for this issue in Jeep Wrangler should be expanded to include Jeep Liberty models.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 012006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel tank overflows every time you fill up. Only way of preventing is to never to fill the gas tank.

- Medfield, MA, USA

Jul 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that there was fuel leaking from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Liberty 6-cyl

The Jeep dealer(minot Chrysler center) says they do not have the parts to fix this recall....I have went there twice since I received notice of the recall on August 2014.

- Minot, ND, USA

May 012013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel overflow at the gas pump. The pump will not shut off when tank is reaching the full point, therefore spilling fuel on the car, ground and often the person pumping gas.

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Sep 172013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel tank overflows when filling causing gasoline spillage on ground and person filling vehicle.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 082013

Liberty 4WD 8-cyl

I am the original owner of this Jeep Liberty first of all and I love it, but it is dangerous! I can't fill the gas tank on my Jeep Liberty with out it spewing back out. The first time it happened gas was all on the ground at the gas station. It got all over my hands and paints leg and burned my skin. I was out of town and didn't have an extra pair of pants to change into. All I could do is pull off at the next exit and try to clean my skin in the restroom. Now I have to hold my ear down to the gas nozzle to hear the tank filling up. My husband can't hear well so I can't let him fuel the Liberty. Out of fear of gas getting on others and on the ground, I am the only one that fuels the tank. Chrysler will not replace the gas tank because it shows no problem under my VIN number. This is a public and environmental safety problem with gasoline on people and all over the ground! I need this tank replaced, just thunk about it....1/2 gallon of gasoline on the ground for every other Jeep Liberty like mine out there. I talked with Jeep customer service again today and was still denied.

- Ardmore, TN, USA

Jan 282015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hicksville , NY, USA

Jan 132014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Princeton, WV, USA