2006 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 222016

Liberty

When filling the gas tank, there is almost always overflow that spills out of the nozzle onto the side of the vehicle and onto the pavement. I would estimate this happens about 80% of the time I fill up.

- Boardman, OH, USA

Jul 152015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact noticed a fuel odor inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Sep 302015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. After the vehicle was rear ended by another vehicle, a burning fuel odor emitted from the rear passenger tire. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined; however, the technician stated that there was a fuel leak. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The vehicle was repaired per the recall, but the failure recurred. While the air conditioner was operated, the fuel odor still entered the vehicle. The contact noticed white smoke coming from the dashboard and thin gray smoke coming from the rear passenger tire. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Aug 062016

Liberty

I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty made for export. I live in Mexico. I purchased this car in Mexico. I have read about the recall for this model year because of the fuel tank problems. I need the name and address of a Jeep dealer in guadalajara, Mexico where they can put the trailer hitch on at no cost for parts and labor. My E-mail is: Ksreichenecker@yahoo.com I would appreciate any help you can give me.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Jun 202016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 35 mph, a chime sounded for several minutes and the fuel cap warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact stated that the failure occurred on a daily basis for two weeks. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000. Updated 08/22/16

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jun 032016

Liberty

I have owned my 2006 Jeep Liberty for 6 years, and not one time have I completely filled my fuel tank that it didn't gush fuel out everywhere, including on me !

- Cerro Gordo, IL, USA

May 232016

Liberty

Every time I fill the gas tank (parked with engine turned off), gas spews from the filler tube, runs down the side of the car, pools on the ground and underneath the car, creating an extremely dangerous situation. Gas continues to spew out and all over the area until I desperately grab the gas pump nozzle handle and manually disengage it! I now never can depend upon auto shut-off!! I have to manually operate the pump nozzle, not take my hand off it, listen to the gushing tone sound as the tank nears the full point and shut off the nozzle by hand when I hear the gas getting ready to spew all over the place!! this is so dangerous!!!!! over the course of several years, I thought this problem was just unique to my car but after talking with two other Jeep Liberty owner acquaintances, I discovered they had the same dangerous safety problem with their Jeep Liberty, as well. This is so dangerous.... it needs to be recalled and fixed!!! ("when did this happen field below: July 2009 to present")

- Parachute, CO, USA

Apr 302016

Liberty

2006 Jeep Liberty: Fuel splashes back when filling gas tank at a gas station. This happens every time I fuel the tank. Faulty fuel inlet check valve. Other Chrysler vehicles have this problem and have been recalled for repair. I spoke with a representative from Chrysler, and they stated that Chrysler has no plans of issuing a recall for this make, model, and year vehicle.

- Tieton, WA, USA

Mar 302016

Liberty

When filling up the gas tank, the automatic shut off does not function, resulting in gas pouring out of the tank. This has happened consistently, no matter where or when I fill up.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Liberty

Every time I start to fill my tank it overflows. I lose approx. 1/2 gallon on the ground every time I put fuel in. This is ridiculous! I just bought this Jeep a few weeks ago. The previous owner/ dealership did not make us aware of this problem.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 022015

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 192013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Dec 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving at an unknown speed, the fuel warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the recall part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Humble, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Liberty

Fuel spills every time we fill up. I took it to grapevine Dodge and talked to a service adviser and she treated me and my daughter like we were stupid. Sorry, but I grew up working in a mobil service station and my Chevy's don't overflow!!! so I left pissed off. It happens every fillup.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Aug 112014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 012015

Liberty

From the time I received the recall notice I have been trying to resolve the issue. I called when first received the recall, then again in June and spoke to a jennifer, stated that the part was on back order and that I was in the 100 and they were on 30. I asked what I should do during the waiting time and she said to try not to get hit. I called again the beginning of September and jennifer stated that I should receive a part or call in a few days. It is now September 14 and I have not heard anything about fixing or setting up an appointment for fixing the Jeep. I have three children that ride in my Jeep, I do not have a choice but to drive it, all I can do is pray that I do not get hit from behind one day and cause the gas explosion that could occur do to manufacturing issues.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Feb 272015

Liberty

Fuel spillage every time fueling tank. Takes ~ 15min to fill take. Need to reduce fuel flow from pump down to a drizzle otherwise fuel spills all over car, ground and myself. Very dangerous!

- Guilford, CT, USA

Dec 102013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Jun 192013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available. MA 10/19/15

- Bellfonte, PA, USA