CarComplaints.com Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 012015

Liberty

The airbag light is constantly on. Started at around 40000 miles. Dealer told me it's 500 to replace the ECU for it. No warranty coverage and Chrysler won't help. I find this really disturbing since it's a safety item. I had a 2004 Mazda 3 with over 200,000 miles and no airbag ECU problems.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Liberty

I bought this car in October 2015, with only 27,680 miles on it and I'm already experiencing issues with it. Last week the airbag light came on out of no where. When I took the car yesterday to get the recall fixed, the tech. Told me that the light stayed on and that it had nothing to do with a recall so it would not be covered. He also said that this was a module (not sure what that is) but if I wanted to fix it I would have to pay a deductible because it is not covered under warranty. My second issue is the driver's side window control buttons do not work properly, I literally have to pull really hard to get the window up. Now I know that from reading other complaints, this is a common issue in this car, I just don't want to experience a fire in the panel or any other malfunction. Is there something that can be done, I feel that I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for manufacture issue that are not wear and tear.

- Oxford, MA, USA

Mar 012015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light illuminated indicating a possible failure with the air bags. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 39,000....updated 02/02/16

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 022015

Liberty

36000 miles the air bag light stays on. The service rep at the dealership says the airbag module needs to be replaced and it's not covered by the extended warranty. The cost to repair it is $468. How can a car this new need a repair like this so soon?

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Oct 172015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the sensor in the passenger side seat failed and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Sep 292015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was serviced under the recall but the remedy failed to correct the failure. The contact was informed by the dealer that the occupant restraint control module needed to be replaced but that specific component was not covered under the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,133.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Sep 012015

Liberty

Airbag warning light on dash is permanently illuminated. The vehicle was taken and tested at my local Jeep dealership where they advised that the ocr module was faulty and would need replacing at a cost of over $440. Although there is a current recall on some 2012 Jeep Liberty regarding active head restraints and some models requiring replacement of the ocr module my vehicle was not on the list for replacement of the module.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Apr 262015

Liberty

There was a recall on the Liberty so I took it to the dealership and before April 26,2015 the airbag light was not present the Liberty was backed into at a high speed and the airbags did not deploy. The company that repaired my car after the wreck told me the airbag light was on, the airbags tried to deploy but malfunctioned. They fixed the light I guess by resetting it. Now 5 months later the light is back on for the airbags and it will not go off.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 242015

Liberty

Started up the car around 8/24/2015 and the red airbag light came on in the middle of the dash. It remains on at all times while the vehicle is on.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 282014

Liberty

At around 40K miles the airbag light in the dash came on and would not turn off. When we took the car to get it inspected it failed inspection due to the airbag light and the mechanic told us we would have to take the car to the Jeep dealer to have them diagnose and fix the issue. We took the car to the dealer and they said the issue was the orc module and it would have to be replaced and it would cost $650. This part was recalled on the 2011 Jeep Liberty and I have read a lot of complaints online about this part on the 2012 Liberty. We have no choice in replacing this part or our car will not pass inspection and our only option is to take it to a Jeep dealer to replace.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 232015

Liberty

The airbag warning light was on and remained on every time the vehicle was on. I took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that there was a recall on the active head restraint but that the issue causing the warning light to be on was due to a fault orc circuit. The service advisor informed me that this was not covered and that I had to pay $500 to have it repaired. I went online and noticed this is a common issue with this vehicle. So the options for the consumer is to pay to have it fixed or risk your airbag not deploying. This is a huge safety concern if someone does not have the means to pay $500 to replace the faulty circuit. This should be considered a defect and a recall posted for this orc circuit.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Jul 182015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system). The recall remedy was performed; however, the occupant restraint module also failed and was not included in the recall remedy. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jul 152015

Liberty

The airbag warning light came on my car one morning when it first started. A few days later I took it into the dealer and was told that the module occupant restraint had failed and needed to be replaced. The repair cost $390. After doing a bit of research online it appeared that many other people reported the same malfunction with the exact same model year around the same millage... updated 09/30/15

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Liberty

Recently I took my 2012 Jeep Liberty in for a recall repair on the active head restraints. The airbag dash light has been on for about a month and a half, and it hasn't really bothered me until today. I was called by rancho Jeep/Dodge during my recall repair today, and the mechanic took a very aggressive sales type persona regarding me fixing the airbag light, which he quoted me at over $400 for everything. I said no, and he persisted to try to sell me on fixing this light. I also work in sales, so I was very well aware that he was following some company instruction to push hard to get me to fix this issue. Then I noticed there is an open investigation regarding exactly this problem. I also read the below articles and found that many people are currently having issues with airbag failures on their Jeep Liberty vehicles. Please get Chrysler to fix this, it seems they may even be following poor business practices by trying to get customers to fix this issue by spending their own money before a recall is issued by NHTSA. www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Liberty/2012/seat_belts_air_bags/airbag_light_on.shtml www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/26/426557128/Fiat-Chrysler-hit-with-record-105-million-fine-for-safety-defects www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/owners/recentinvestigations

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 232015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the air bag light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the occupant restraint control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Warwick, NY, USA

May 122015

Liberty

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty limited 4X4 and the airbag light will not turn off a couple of months ago it will come on stay on then turn off but all of the sudden it just stayed on all the time. I have called the dealer and Chrysler to tell them about the problem but since I didn't buy the extended warranty they want to charge for me to take it in and for them to get a code. I feel like it's a safety issue and they should take care if the problem.the car has not been in an accident or anything like that I don't see why they can't take care of that problem. Updated 09/25/15

- Imperial Beach, CA, USA

Jul 142015

Liberty

Turned on ignition. The air bag light flashed on and warning indicator caught my attention because the airbag warning light went on and stayed on.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 022013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag light was illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the occupant restraint control module was defective, but they could not replace it unless the contact purchased the part. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure mileage was 37,625.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 172013

Liberty

My air bag light has come on, and remains on, for no reason. No accidents, which could possibly cause any possible electrical malfunction. The air bag has not deployed. It appears to be an electrical malfunction. Also, the clock seems to run two minutes slow every month.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

May 242015

Liberty

Started Jeep and air bags light came on and stayed

- Nicholson, PA, USA