Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Aug 042014

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag warning light started continuous display at about 43000 miles. Dealer indicated this was covered by safety recall N38/NHTSA 13V-282. Called Jeep dealer for appointment in mid-July 2014. Dealer indicated that it is probably failed orc module. Research indicated this was a common issue on this model Jeep with numerous reports of failure of orc. Took vehicle to dealer on 28 Jul 2014. Dealer did not replace orc but "flashed" tipm at no charge. Did not resolve air bag light issue. Dealer indicated I would have to schedule another appointment for diagnostics and possible orc module replacement. Scheduled another appointment for 4 Aug 2014. Orc module replaced. Issued resolved. Was charged $326.53 for replacement of orc module. Dealer indicated that while this has become a common failure, this replacement was not covered by Chrysler for 2012 Jeep Liberty. I feel that since this is a serious safety issue for all 2012 Jeep Liberty owners experiencing this issue, Chrysler should reimburse for this expense. Safety recall N38 indicated "Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor) including replacement of occupant restraint module (orc).

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Submission from constituent re Chrysler recall notice. 2012 Jeep Liberty. The consumer received recall notice 13V282000. However, the dealer informed there were no such recall. Also, the consumer was having an issue with the vehicle not wanting to start, intermittently. In early June, the vehicle would not start. The dashboard lit up, but there was no noise, no clicking, nothing. He made several attempts, but it would not start. After the sixth try, it started. The dealer was unable to replicate the problem. The consumer stated it happened again, multiple times.

- La Fayette, NY, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Bangor, WI, USA

Jul 242014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) for the tipm replacement. The contact was informed that the occupant restraint control module also needed to be repaired; however, it was not eligible for repair according to the recall because the vehicle was a 2012 model. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

Approximately July 1, 2014, my 2012 Jeep Liberty showed an airbag warning light on the dash display. The light will not go off. On July 3rd I took my Jeep into a local Jeep dealership to have a safety recall performed. The recall was for the active head restraints to be reprogrammed. The reprogram did not correct the display light warning. I was told that the vehcle would have to be hooked up to a computer to tell me what was causing the airbag warning light to display but the cost was $85 for the diagnosis only and there would be additional costs for the repair. The vehicle has not been repaired.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jan 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

The airbag warning light came on and stayed on. I received a recall notice on the head restraint. I took my vehicle in to the dealership. (champion Dodge Chrysler, gulfport, ms) they said they repaired the defection on the recall notice with the head restraint. I told them about the air bag warning light has been on since Jan 2014. The manager said "well this head restraint recall may fix that problem too" I went to pick my car up and it did not fix it. He asked if I wanted to have it fixed and that it would cost around $300-$400. I told him no, this should be on a recall, he agreed but said it hasn't come out yet. My question: If it's a safety issue on a 2012 model why isn't it a recall" does someone have to be injured/killed before you issue a recall"

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Jun 262014

Liberty 6-cyl

Noticed red warning light symbol on dashboard (seated icon with red circle in front). Looked it up because I had no idea what it was. It had been going on and off for a few days but today it stayed on 100% of the time. Was involved in accident a few months ago (other driver drove into my right front wheel causing right hand to be pushed into center (airbag region) of steering wheel (hand went into center piece of steering wheel and there was no airbag deployment. It looks like issue has to do with car and possible reason for no airbag deployment at time of accident.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jun 252014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated the airbag warning light sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the oic module needed to be reprogram. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jun 022014

A few days ago the airbag malfunction light turned on upon starting my vehicle. Not sure what this meant, I took it to my local Jeep dealership in clear lake, Texas. When I dropped my car off, the man said it would not be ready today. It took clear lake Dodge a full 24 hours to complete this fix (and that was after begging the manager to have my car ready on time, they were going to push it back another day). On the recall form it said should only take 30 minutes for this fix. I received my car and the car was presumably fixed since the warning light was no longer on. However, when I get home, I realize my garage key had been stolen from my vehicle. This was a disaster, and I did not feel that my safety was valued as a person much less a paying customer at clear lake Dodge.

- Pearland, TX, USA

May 172014

Liberty 4-cyl

Active head restraints recall, I got this recall almost a year ago now, and never got the second notice of parts being available to fix this issue. I see other people have also had this issue. Could this possibly be why my air bag light is constantly on"? when is the recall going to be addressed"

- Latrobe, PA, USA

May 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

Started car in the am on the way to work and after 10 minutes the air bag idiot light flashes and stays on. It is going on 10 days and the light is still on. I will stop by the dealer tomorrow 5-10-2014 to see what is needed and if the car is safe to drive.

- Yulee, FL, USA

Feb 072014

Liberty 6-cyl

It happened a few times but the last time she was turning at a light and when keys swung the ignition shut off causing her to lose power steering and she hit another vehicle. The ignition is very touchy - just by barely touching the keys it shuts off. I am afraid for my daughter's safety driving this vehicle.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Apr 072014

Liberty 6-cyl

When I began driving today I noticed that the airbag warning light was illuminated on the drivers side in the electronics cluster. There has been no damage to the vehicle and the light just randomly came on and has remained on.

- Levittwon, PA, USA

Apr 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to air bag alert light malfunction and active head restraints recall notice. The consumer stated the air bad light recently illuminated. When she went to the dealer, she was informed the recall did not apply to her vehicle. However the vehicle did need an occupant restraint control module, which was not covered under the recall.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 122013

Liberty 6-cyl

On 3/25/14 I took my 2012 Jeep Liberty to my dealer planet Dodge located at 9975 nw. 12th ave. Miami, fl 33172 to fix the recall N38 (air bag). I was informed by letter that the active head restrains (ahr) on my 2012 Jeep Liberty may not deploy during a rear end collision. As a result, these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. The only feasible solution for this problem is to replace the module that controls the air bags. Unfortunately Chrysler group llc is only replacing the module to the 2011 Jeep Liberty free of charge unlike the 2012 Jeep Liberty, which the costumer has to pay for the same labor. The only authorize procedure to "fix" the problem is to "reprogram" the module, not replace it, which didn't fix the problem because the air bag light is still on. I'm extremely upset with this situation because Chrysler group llc is not complying with the requirements of the national traffic and motor vehicle Safety Act, putting at risk the safety of my family.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Nov 192013

Back in November I received safety recall N38. To date there has been no remedy for this problem. I am concerned with the amount of time that is lapsing without a resolution to this problem.

- Rock Hill, NY, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign id number 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 4/28/14

- Susquehanna, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

Airbag light is on constantly. Dealer claims that the orc module is bad, but it is not covered by the recall (N38) that states that "Jeep will... replace the orc module free of charge". the vehicle is less than 2 years old and has not been subjected to any abuse or damage.

- Pace, FL, USA

Oct 152013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Liberty. Attorney representing consumer writes in regards to active head restraints recall notice. The lawyer stated, his client took the vehicle to the dealer to be serviced for an air bag warning light. Unfortunately, the service department was unable to fix the problem and had to replace the required orc module. Chrysler refused to reimburse the consumer, because there was not a sufficient repair for the problem.

- Burlington, WI, USA

Sep 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

While I was driving on I-70 E, I noticed that the vehicle approaching me from behind, was traveling at a high rate of speed so I swerved to the right shoulder and the other vehicle swerved to the left lane and then back across the right lane over to the shoulder and struck my 2012 Jeep Liberty on the drivers side from the front to the rear probably at a speed between 60 - 75. With that impact I received whiplash & injury to my left arm, left hand, neck & shoulder. I did not received a recall notice N38 until late December 2013 and the accident occurred on September 3, 2013, so I called Chrysler and told them about the accident and asked if this recall could effect the air bag from not deploying, the lady didn't know and said she would file a report. I received a letter stating, "while the purpose of the air bag is to deploy when the major direction of the impact is from the front of the vehicle towards the back of the vehicle" & "the vehicle damage may lead you to believe that the air bag should have deployed, how ever, this can be deceiving." It also stated that large amounts of fender or sheet metal damage indicate that the crumple zone in the front of the vehicle did their job and as a result the air bags were not needed. So I placed two different calls to Chrysler dealers and also went in person to one and ask them "if I didn't get this recall fixed, (which the recall notice had not been sent out when the accident happened) if it could cause the air bag not to deploy, " and all three of the men told me yes it could cause the air bags not to deploy or something even worst, which the one man stated "it could even kill you." I believe as hard as I was hit, and with the injuries I received, that the air bags should of deployed and maybe I wouldn't have been injured as much. It has been over 4 months since the accident and my injuries are still present. Sincerely

- Grain Valley, MO, USA