2006 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Sorento:

2006 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 012006

From the moment I purchased my Kia Sorento my family has had nothing but issue. From replacing light bulbs monthly to valve cover leakage to now a knock under the hood. It has 113,000 miles and has been maintained. I would never recommend buying another Kia to anyone with all the issues we have had.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Jan 082015

Sorento 6-cyl

While stopped at a traffic light, the car was running fine. When the light turned green, I took my foot off the brake and all the lights on my dash illuminated and the car immediately shut off. I shift into park and restart the car with no problems as if nothing happened. No other issues occurred until today (3 weeks later). This time I started my car and was driving through a parking lot with no signs of a problem. After I stopped, to let a car out in front of me, I took my foot off the brake to proceed. Immediately as I stepped on the gas, the dash illuminated, the steering wheel locked, and the car shut off. I tried restarting it a few times, but it wouldn't budge at all. I shut off all electrical devices, such as headlights, radio, and hazard lights and tried starting it again. This time it started as if nothing was wrong. I drove around stopping and going for another 45 mins to see if it would happen again, and nothing. Based on what I've been reading, it sounds like this is a common problem. Why isn't this getting the same attention Toyota and GMC cars received when their cars experienced dangerous malfunctions in several of their cars? perhaps the media needs to be alerted to this to actually bring more attention to the matter. Apparently Kia is waiting for a few deaths first before they part with money to fix the problem.

- Merchantville, NJ, USA

Jun 022013

Sorento 6-cyl

I was driving out of walgreens parking lot on 6/2/2013 in alsip, Illinois. As I put my car in reverse to back out the parking space then I placed it in drive it was fine. Then I got ready to turn the wheel to come out the parking lot and it was very hard to turn. Then my lights came on the dashboard. The brake light & engine light. I then placed my feet on the brakes and placed it back in P (park) and tired to put in drive again and the same thing happened. It was very hard to turn to get it out of the way. I ended up going up the street to autozone to see if they can put in on the machine or even look at it to see what's wrong. They looked at it and told me it looks like my pulley belt is cracked / breaking / broke. So I park it in a residual area, and I called Kia dealership in oaklawn, il to order the part as autozone told me they did not have that part I will have to go to the dealer. So I called Kia to get the part and they said I had to order it. I did just that picked it up had the tow truck to take to the autoshop for repair. Once the mechanic looked at it he started the bolt was hard to get off to get to the pulley. He stated it is a 50/50 chance that it may break. If it does then I would need a engine. I then told him don't touch it or worry about it I will have it towed to Kia in river oaks which I did. They looked at it and stated the same thing. I said well lets pray they it does not break he laughed and said ok. The mechanic called me back a hour later an said it broke I'm gonna need a engine. He told me the price, and I could not afford it so I had it towed to my house.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 122014

Sorento 6-cyl

I went to the bank in November of 2014. I shut my car off because its started to make a loud noise. I tried to start it when I was done and it would not start. I was able to get a jump to start it back up but it keep on dying. I was finally able to get it started enough to get it home. It died right before my house so we had to push it into the driveway. When I was driving it home the electrical kept cutting in and out and it was making a loud noise. Come to find out the crankshaft pulley bolt broke off into the engine.I only had the car for 8 months and paid $8700 for the car.

- Oscoda, MI, USA

Dec 292014

Sorento 6-cyl

Started making loud knocking noise took to repair shop to find out the problem is with the crankshaft bolt, as many other Kia owners have been having.

- Charlotte, AR, USA

Dec 212014

Sorento 6-cyl

Was sitting parked thankfully but the crankshaft bolt sheared off causing loss of power steering and loss of alternator. This is the second time this has happened within a year. Thankfully we weren't in motion when this happened. Please investigate as this keeps happening and has happened to a lot of Kia Sorento owners (looking online). Kia issued a service memo telling the service people to use an upgraded bolt, however we had the upgraded bolt and the issue still occurred.

- Keller, TX, USA

Nov 272013

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the crank shaft bolt fractured as a result the engine and crank shaft bolt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Florhan Park, NJ, USA

Sep 112014

My 2006 Kia Sorento, manufactured in August 2005 & was a basic vehicle, no luxury model.a rental car business was 1st owner and only had it for a few months, then I bought it from a dealer in Sept 2006 w 14,000 miles. It is 8 years old with 108,000 miles. The check engine light turned on, I heard loud banging in the hood, then suddenly it turned off while I was driving on city streets. Traffic was slow moving. I had it towed to an expert mechanic and owner of his own shop. My mechanic has done some preventive maintenance in the past and considered it to be in excellent condition. He took the engine apart and found pieces broken off from the "intake runner butterfly valve assembly & fell into the engine; also there was a bushing failure in the lower induction manifold. My 3.5 engine was totaled within minutes along with all surrounding parts. The same engine as in the recall. My Kia has a 3.5 engine, same as in the recall bulletin #TT2008020601. The recall bulletin was for Kia models 2003-2005, yet this exact incident was described in the recall bulletin. I have two photos of some of the damage (1st photo is the intake runner assembly w/two broken missing butterflies for cylinders 5 & 6 & the 2nd photo of a piece of the butterfly stuck in the intake port of the cylinder head -both taken on 9-12-2014.) I then had it towed to a garden grove Kia dealership. They inspected & gave me an estimate of $11,700. All they said it was out of warranty and that 2006 models was not part of the recall. How can Kia corporation guarantee that the same inferior parts were not installed in my 2006 Sorento? it was manufactured in 2005. Kia corporation should take responsibility for the damage due to the fact that this problem was not completely resolved with the 2005 models.

- Brea, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

On 09/18/2014 arriving home I started to hear loud rumble noises coming from the engine, took it to a local shop and was told it might be the pulleys, however, it was determined the next day - different shop that could make the repairs, the crankshaft pin sheared off (this work was previously done on March 2014 at a total of 1,800+ and here it is again!). mechanic at the shop was the one that saved me $$ this time as he noticed the work as very recent, and suggested I take it back to where the repair had been done in March. One week later - 09/26/2014 I had my car back. However, I suspect this will happen again, since there are so many others having the same problems, and how many other repair shops continue to order the same part over and over. Really? hello Kia, they need to step up to this situation, before someone is killed. I am so glad I listen to my SUV and took it in for servicing, as this could have had disastrous results if I were on the highway going at a higher speed. The best thing here was the honest mechanic! I will never get another Kia, and if it does happen again, that's when I will get another vehicle. As I continue to drive, I feel that my SUV is just not the same, the engine may have had some damage to which I have no idea how serious. I learned about a year ago that the Kia 2006 SUV/Sorento we a very bad year for this model and it is true, this is not the only high costing repair I have had to pay for, and I do not even have 60,000 on it yet! worse SUV I have ever brought! never again. This vehicle is not safe, you never know what will happen as you are driving, and I always rent instead of taking this vehicle, I have no confidence at all.

- Dewitt, NY, USA

Feb 192014

Car at first would shut off while driving, pulled car over and would start back up, took car to mechanic and said it was the crankshaft sensor, replace crank shaft sensor, few weeks later problem return, mechanic thought it was the camshaft sensor still had the problem of car shutting off while driving in city and highway.finally after months of back in and out of the mechanics while driving crankshaft bolt broke while driving, affecting the harmonica balancer and timing belt causing the vehicle to lose all power in the car and had no power steering, very little control of the vehicle, coasted into driveway luckily no on-coming cars, after spending several hundreds of dollars for repairs, mechanic is telling me the engine is no good, car is undrivable needs new engine at cost of 5300 dollars.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Jul 302014

Car dies while driving. No check engine light appears. Later car starts and runs fine until a few days later at next failure. Driver loses engine, power steering, and power brakes. Engine code finally appears after 3rd incident and is P0337 - crank shaft positioning sensor. This is a safety issue and may lead to a crash or death since driver looses all functions of vehicle. Dealer at Kia cerritos, calif. Seemed unconcerned and stated that nothing could be done under warranty, since warranty had expired, even with low mileage. This is safety issue and should be repaired as a recall. Independent auto repair shop group data bases show 100's of incidences of same part failure and engine code with Kia Sorento and low vehicle mileage.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Aug 082014

The crankshaft bolt sheared off, causing the harmonic balancer to fail. The engine stalled and I coasted to safety. This happened on the interstate at 75mph. Kia is aware of this and should be held liable.

- Az City, AZ, USA

Jul 312014

I have a 2006 Kia Sorento. My 16 year old daughter was driving her brothers to practice and the car totally locked up, the engine failed, she had loss of the power steering, loss of the cooling system, all together loss of control of the vehicle while she was driving and fortunately, for us, she was able to get it off the road safely. This was an extremely hazardous condition not only to her and her brothers but to other drivers on the road and that were around. We had the car towed to a mechanic and he said the bolt sheared off in the engine and he could not get to it and the whole engine would need to be replaced. He suggested we tow it to the local Kia mechanics. After having it towed to the Kia dealership, it was confirmed that the crankshaft bolt sheared off causing damage. I was further told this has been a recurring issue with Kia Sorentos and there was even a recall on this extremely dangerous issue. The dealership tells me my car is not included in the recall. I am at a complete loss as to how this is an on going documented problem with the bolt in models just prior to my Sorento being recalled and the same issue existing in my vehicle and it is not included when it is quite obvious that the problem is the same. Not only did they put my children in a dangerous situation by not disclosing or providing some solution to a problem that they are well aware of and is documented, they have now caused extreme distress. There is a flaw in the manufacturing of their vehicles and an obvious breakdown in their recall process and as a result their customers are suffering! this is a safety issue that should be resolved quickly. Thank goodness no one was hurt, this time! these are people's lives that they are putting at risk daily!

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Mar 262014

Sorento 6-cyl

Vehicle's battery, brake, and check engine lights came on while parked at home, opened hood, noticed belt was slipping, and crankshaft pulley was spinning almost free. Contacted mechanic who performed most recent maintenance, he attempted to repair work under assumption was faulty. Problem reoccurred 3 months later, mechanic now convinced he is not the cause of this. Research shows common issue with this make/model. Crankshaft bolt appears to break free of pulley. Will require engine block disassembly to determine if crankshaft has been damaged.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 152014

Sorento 6-cyl

With only 46000 miles, I heard a sound, and like everyone else who has posted this problem, no power steering, everything lite up on dash panel. The crank shaft pulley bolt was broken. I was able to get it to a mechanic, he replaced the bolt. Then 3 days ago, the same thing!!! I have had problems with the break lights burning out at least every 3 months-clock changes time. Three years ago the air condition failed, after much debate, Kia fixed it. How can this not be a recall?! if I can get this fixed-never will I buy or recommend a Kia of any kind!!!!!

- Matthews, NC, USA

Apr 172012

Sorento 6-cyl

The same thing has happened three times now. Driving down the road and all of a sudden the brake lights come on, check engine light comes on and now you have no power steering. When popping your hood, you find the two of the three belts have come off and the cam stabilizer pulley has either broke off and the car is no longer running or is wobbling and about to detach from the engine. What has happened is the pin has broke and the bolt has broke or is about to break. This last time that this has happened, I was 80 miles away from home and by the grace of god made it home with my mom and child riding passenger in the car with me. This is a very serious issue and will end up causing a wreck and possibly death.

- Mt. Washington, KY, USA

Jan 072014

Sorento 6-cyl

After doing preventive maintenance replacing timing belt at 60K the drive pulley bolt loosened (after three hours of driving) and the drive pulley popped off the shear pin, loosing control to the steering, breaks that are run by the serpentine belt. Mechanic was able to reconnect drive pulley, pin and bolt to crank shaft. Five months later the same happen. Kia customer service is not returning calls. Kia dealer say's needs a new engine. My vehicle was not one of the ones on the drive bolt recall. The internet is full of people with the same problems spending thousands to repair.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 232014

I was driving down the street in my Kia Sorento 2006 when I heard a loud bang. All of a sudden my car started to break down. The power steering went out, followed by my brakes and finally, my check engine light came on as the rest of the car started to fall apart on the road. The car completely died in the middle of an intersection. My car was towed to a local bp where after inspection I was informed that my engine crank bolt had blown off, destroying my crank shaft, pistons, belts, etc. My engine is ruined and cannot be fixed.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Apr 222014

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer. The dealer stated that the crankshaft pulley bolt had seized in the crankshaft and had broken. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000. The consumer stated as her daughter was driving, the check engine light illuminated, and there was a horrible noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the nearest service center, one mile down the road from her home, but the vehicle became more difficult to steer and when her daughter pulled in the parking lot, she could no longer steer the vehicle and all of the instrument panels light illuminated. The mechanic stated the repair would require the engine being pulled and to repair or replace the crankshaft or replace the engine entirely. Either way, it would be costly. Updated 05/19/14 updated 06/10/14 updated 06/13/2014

- Fenton , MO, USA

May 162013

The contact owns a 2006 Kia sorrento. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, she heard a loud banging as the power steering and brakes failed. The vehicle was towed to a certified mechanic and they stated that the harmonic balancer was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred a few months later. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Edge Water Park, NJ, USA