CarComplaints.com Notes: Kia really changed the design of the Sorento in the 2011 model year. Instead of a truck-like body-on-frame more capable of offroad adventures, the newest Sorento is a unibody construction and is much more crossover than sport utility. The changes brought a whole slew of problems, including a frustrating problem where the door that won’t open. Is it too late to go back?

2.8

2011 Kia Sorento miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 192016

Sorento

After our purchase of the vehicle, the cancel button would get stuck at the top of the button. Therefore not being able to turn off the cruise control system completely. Without the brake switch it could cause the cruise control to not disengage.

- Temple, TX, USA

Mar 102013

Sorento

I bought my car in 2011 by 2013 the rear passenger door does not open at all, driver side wont open from out side. Then 2014 ABS light on, controls on steering wheel for phone, cruise and volume don't work. Shifting to park or drive isn't catching all the time, and door locks click open & close randomly. I do not feel safe driving my car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 062014

Ac evaporator replacement

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 012016

Sorento

Left low beem light is out in my car it is a new bulb.this is the 2nd time it has happened also the lights go out for no reasion I will be driving and they go out, I have to use the on and off lever flick it multipal times to get themto come back on I have taken it to dealler 4 times they cant find out why it dose it also last night for some resion my right door will not open from out side nor the driver side rear door is doing the same thing as of last night "???????"

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 042016

Sorento

In the past 3 years I've had two of my external door handles break off without explanation or incident.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 122016

Sorento

The sunroof of the vehicle exploded while I was driving it on the interstate

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 082016

Sorento

Driver side door will not open from the out side. The doors are unlocked and the only way to open the door is from the inside of the car. This is a hazard and a safety issue. I have read on many blogs with other Kia Sorento owner having the same issue. I have a baby, and having to open my driver door from the passenger side crawling through the car.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Aug 312016

Sorento

My sunroof exploded as I was traveling North on the 605 fry around 6:00 am on 8/31/16. I was no passing under any overhead bridges nor did I experience any debris hitting the car.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Aug 282016

Sorento

Takata recall. I own a 2011 Kia Sorento. My back door handle (on the drivers side) will not open the door from the outside. The door handle has not worked since 2015. Today, August 28, 2016, my passenger door will not open from the outside. There has been no damage to the vehicle that would have created this problem.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 232016

Sorento

Drivers side door does not open from the outside. Was parked in the driveway. Worked fine one minute, and the next I couldn't open it. I have to go through the passenger side door to open or leave drivers side window down and reach in to open. Many complaints concerning this already.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Aug 212016

Sorento

Already filed complaint about 2 doors that you cannot open from the outside of the vehicle when unlocked, now I have a 3rd door that won't open from the outside while unlocked. Gonna have to climb in from the hatchback pretty soon. They all open from the inside, not the outside. So now I have to leave the child safety locks open all the time, hopefully my 3 yr olds won't pull on the door handle from the inside and fall out of the vehicle. All this within the last 3 weeks. I'm guessing somebody has to die before this will be recalled. Going to call dealer today to see what they say.

- Worth, IL, USA

Nov 062015

Sorento

NHTSA recall number: 15V-626 recall date: November 6, 2015 failed to contact me about this recall.

- Oil City, PA, USA

Aug 072016

Sorento

Kia Sorento 2011. Parked. First it was one door, just stopped opening from the outside, opens from inside, unless you put child safety lock on, then it won't open at all. Then today the other side not opening from the outside. All open from inside, only problem is what to do when all four stop opening from outside. If my kid is in there, falls asleep, and it's hot outside, how do I get the kid out if I can't open from outside, somebody is going to be seriously hurt or killed from this problem. From the looks of things there has been a lot of problems with these doors.

- Worth, IL, USA

Apr 042016

Sorento

Air conditioner makes a clicking noise when put on max. It will eventually stop, but it does it everytime I turn on the A/C or change from max to another setting and then back to max.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Sorento

Both front driver and driver passenger doors will not open from the outside. I have to open from the inside. The passenger door broke about 8 months ago. Driver side just broke. Was working fine then I went to get into the car and door would not open. I have 176000 miles on car. This is a safety hazard.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Jul 262016

Sorento

The read passenger side door on my 2011 Kia Sorento will not open from the outside. This is a well known problem which Kia is resusing to take responsibility for since it is not a "safety issue" according to them. I can not put on the child lock while transporting my child or it will not open from inside or out then. This is clearly a safety issue, as Kia tells you to fix it immediately, but will then refuse to reimburse receipts.

- Healdton, OK, USA

Jul 222016

Sorento

Passenger rear door will not open from the outside. The vehicle was in my garage when the problem occurred.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jul 152016

Sorento

Passenger side door and rear-passenger door behind driver cannot be opened from the outside. The only way to open the door is from the inside. Kia claims it is not under warranty and wants to charge me $400 to repair their faulty equipment.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jul 172016

Sorento

The front and rear drivers side door locks are not working properly. Unable to open door from outside. In the rear I am unable to open door from outside or inside. This is a safety and security issue. If I were in an accident my kids or passengers would be trapped in the back. From exploring on the internet Kia executives are aware of this. Does it take a serious injury or fatality to get Kia to respond to this defective part. Inside lock was replaced under warranty (last day of warranty, on a Saturday) that evening car would no longer open from outside. I called on Monday and was told vehicle was out of warranty, outside lock was fine until dealership work on inside mechanism.

- Braintree, MA, USA

May 272016

Sorento

2 months ago, my driver side door would not open. It doesn't open from the outside with the automatic key nor if you put the actual key in the lock does it open. I have to continuously climb into my car from the passenger side door or leave the window rolled down and unlatch the car door from that way of entry. On Saturday, July 16th, I was transporting my son and three friends from baseball game and they couldn't get out of the backseat!!! not only could I not get them out from the outside but now they cannot remove themselves from the inside as well!!! so now all doors except the passenger side door are not in working order!! this is a major safety issue! these boys and myself had to climb out through the passenger side door to get out of the car. What is we were in an accident" what if our car was submersed in water in a lake, river or ditch? what if our car was on fire? we would have no way to escape and we would all have died!! this cannot be a coincidence that first the drivers door doesn't unlock and now 3 out of 4 doors in 3 months do not work?" this is a travesty and Kia is responsible for this and needs to recall the car and fix these doors before someone(s) dies from these faulty doors!

- South St Paul, MN, USA