CarComplaints.com Notes: Kia really changed the design of the Sorento in the 2011 model year. Instead of a truck-like body-on-frame more capable of offroad adventures, the newest Sorento is a unibody construction and is much more crossover than sport utility. The changes brought a whole slew of problems, including a frustrating problem where the door that won’t open. Is it too late to go back?

2011 Kia Sorento miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 122017

Sorento

Driver side door on my 2011 Kia Sorento stopped working yesterday, . would not open by remote or key. I had to climb in and crawl over to drivers door to get into car. This is a serious defect that could result in death or injury to me and my passengers during a very common event in houston - flooding. If I was pinned in my car going under water and no one could open the door by any means then I would drown. Just how many complaints do U need to have to recal your obvious defect? I have seen an alarming number of people who have complained to you on the same but no actions are taken by Kia to remediate this dangerous default. People have been charged up to $900 to Kia dealership to fix their shoddy cost saving cheap door only to have the other door(s) on their car go out within weeks. In other words, we should always be ready for this much reported safety hazard! it is going to flood in houston tomorrow...hope I am not trapped in my car due to your negligence. Oh and there are lots of other issues that could happen, unable to get my grandchildren out of the car in a houston summer!

- New Caney, TX, USA

Dec 102016

Sorento

In the last week, the vehicle shut down completely while driving. The first time it happened on the highway while driving 70mph - the car shut off and dropped to 50mph, the steering wheel locked but it started back up. Twenty minutes later while driving 25mph on a side road, the same thing happened. And then again while in a drive thru line. This has since happened twice while on the highway. The vehicle does start back up again but it is obviously unsafe to drive, especially on the highway. After researching the issue, I found there was a recall on 2011-2013 models with the same issue. I contacted Kia and was told my vehicle was not part of the recall but to bring it in and have it looked at. I have an appointment on Monday, December 19, 2016 to have several other recall items corrected.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Dec 012016

Sorento

Failure of airbags to deplore. Accident 12/1/16. Insurance company has subsequently rendered the vehicle a totaled lost. Accident happened while vehicle was crossing a intersection (city street) and stuck another vehicle in the midsection.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 162016

Sorento

Both doors locked on left side. Can not enter care on left side. Running or not. I'm locked out. Air bag light has been on while under warranty at time I ask them to fix it. Still not fixed.

- Pittsburg, TX, USA

Nov 192016

Sorento

After our purchase of the vehicle, the cancel button would get stuck at the top of the button. Therefore not being able to turn off the cruise control system completely. Without the brake switch it could cause the cruise control to not disengage.

- Temple, TX, USA

Mar 102013

Sorento

I bought my car in 2011 by 2013 the rear passenger door does not open at all, driver side wont open from out side. Then 2014 ABS light on, controls on steering wheel for phone, cruise and volume don't work. Shifting to park or drive isn't catching all the time, and door locks click open & close randomly. I do not feel safe driving my car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 062014

Ac evaporator replacement

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 012016

Sorento

Left low beem light is out in my car it is a new bulb.this is the 2nd time it has happened also the lights go out for no reasion I will be driving and they go out, I have to use the on and off lever flick it multipal times to get themto come back on I have taken it to dealler 4 times they cant find out why it dose it also last night for some resion my right door will not open from out side nor the driver side rear door is doing the same thing as of last night "???????"

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 042016

Sorento

In the past 3 years I've had two of my external door handles break off without explanation or incident.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 122016

Sorento

The sunroof of the vehicle exploded while I was driving it on the interstate

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 082016

Sorento

Driver side door will not open from the out side. The doors are unlocked and the only way to open the door is from the inside of the car. This is a hazard and a safety issue. I have read on many blogs with other Kia Sorento owner having the same issue. I have a baby, and having to open my driver door from the passenger side crawling through the car.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Aug 312016

Sorento

My sunroof exploded as I was traveling North on the 605 fry around 6:00 am on 8/31/16. I was no passing under any overhead bridges nor did I experience any debris hitting the car.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Aug 282016

Sorento

Takata recall. I own a 2011 Kia Sorento. My back door handle (on the drivers side) will not open the door from the outside. The door handle has not worked since 2015. Today, August 28, 2016, my passenger door will not open from the outside. There has been no damage to the vehicle that would have created this problem.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 232016

Sorento

Drivers side door does not open from the outside. Was parked in the driveway. Worked fine one minute, and the next I couldn't open it. I have to go through the passenger side door to open or leave drivers side window down and reach in to open. Many complaints concerning this already.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Aug 212016

Sorento

Already filed complaint about 2 doors that you cannot open from the outside of the vehicle when unlocked, now I have a 3rd door that won't open from the outside while unlocked. Gonna have to climb in from the hatchback pretty soon. They all open from the inside, not the outside. So now I have to leave the child safety locks open all the time, hopefully my 3 yr olds won't pull on the door handle from the inside and fall out of the vehicle. All this within the last 3 weeks. I'm guessing somebody has to die before this will be recalled. Going to call dealer today to see what they say.

- Worth, IL, USA

Nov 062015

Sorento

NHTSA recall number: 15V-626 recall date: November 6, 2015 failed to contact me about this recall.

- Oil City, PA, USA

Aug 072016

Sorento

Kia Sorento 2011. Parked. First it was one door, just stopped opening from the outside, opens from inside, unless you put child safety lock on, then it won't open at all. Then today the other side not opening from the outside. All open from inside, only problem is what to do when all four stop opening from outside. If my kid is in there, falls asleep, and it's hot outside, how do I get the kid out if I can't open from outside, somebody is going to be seriously hurt or killed from this problem. From the looks of things there has been a lot of problems with these doors.

- Worth, IL, USA

Apr 042016

Sorento

Air conditioner makes a clicking noise when put on max. It will eventually stop, but it does it everytime I turn on the A/C or change from max to another setting and then back to max.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Sorento

Both front driver and driver passenger doors will not open from the outside. I have to open from the inside. The passenger door broke about 8 months ago. Driver side just broke. Was working fine then I went to get into the car and door would not open. I have 176000 miles on car. This is a safety hazard.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Jul 262016

Sorento

The read passenger side door on my 2011 Kia Sorento will not open from the outside. This is a well known problem which Kia is resusing to take responsibility for since it is not a "safety issue" according to them. I can not put on the child lock while transporting my child or it will not open from inside or out then. This is clearly a safety issue, as Kia tells you to fix it immediately, but will then refuse to reimburse receipts.

- Healdton, OK, USA