1. replace entire transmission (2 reports)
1999 Mazda 626 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Mazda 626:

1999 Mazda 626 Owner Comments

Feb 012007

626 2.0L

don't buy a Mazda. they know the transmission will go out. they won't do anything about it...mine shifts rough, won't go in reverse and my over drive is out.

- , Morristown, TN/, USA

Jan 262008

626 LX

I had my Mazda for two years and didn't had much problem with it....until recently it started to shift gears. I was heading to work one morning and notice that the car was jerking and it stopped on me. so I restarted and thought nothing wrong when it started While driving the car went into reverse on the highway. I was terrified because I could have cause a huge pile up on Georgia highway. I placed the blinkers on and managed to steer it to the shoulder and left it there. The mechanics gave different quotes to fix the transmission. For use Transmission it will be about $400-$600 for labor if I get the part from a junk yard. Rebuilt is about $1700.00-$2000.00. I am very upset about this.

- , Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jan 032003

When I first brought this car 10/99 I had problems with the car not driving in the correct gear, I took it to the dealer and ran diagnostic test for days until they found the problem. I was told that the brain was not communicating with the transmission causing it to drive in first gear all times. They supposedly fixed the problem but I still had a problem with jumping into gear and stalling when starting off. I constantly complained about this and they always stated they found nothing wrong. My warranty was up 10/02, now they are telling me that I need a new transmission at 40,000 miles but all the other times while it was under warranty they didn't see this coming. I kept my car maintenance properly and constantly got oil changes. I would never ever buy another Mazda product and wouldn't recommend it to my enemy.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA