CarComplaints.com Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2006 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

1.8

2006 Mazda MAZDA3 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mazda MAZDA3:

2006 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Aug 212015

MAZDA3

Part 1 - 1. re: Complaint filed on 8/21/15 (arfc/NHTSA id no: 10750380) (denise from arfc ref no: 902722). As per instruction, I brought my car to an official, authorized repair Mazda dealer on 8/24/15 (Liberty Mazda, wakefield, MA) for a diagnostic report to be done, which was completed. After the diagnostic report was completed, I kept my vehicle there for repair of the power steering completely not working. I faxed and mailed to the NHTSA, the diagnostic report, the total invoice of repair, proof of payment in full, as well as 3-4 more documents provided by Liberty Mazda, and I have not yet received any update as of yet. I was told that due to my low mileage, many other complaints by 2006 Mazda 3 owners for the same issue have been filed, as well as the fact that this clearly is a "safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment" (direct quote from ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov under "when is a recall necessary?, page 6 out of 20) was told that reimbursement for this costly repair would be issued by recall or by warranty due to my low mileage. Also quoting from ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov under "examples of defects considered safety-related", (page 7 out of 20), which states "steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.", I absolutely feel that this reimbursement issue be addressed to me as soon as possible. 2. re: Air bags: I received an email from U.S. dot NHTSA, dated Friday, 1/08/16 stating my car make/model/year may be involved in a safety recall based on NHTSA campaign id no: 15V869; subject: Passenger air bag inflators may rupture. I then received another email on 2/6/16 stating my car make/model/year may be involved in another safety recall: Manufacturer: Mazda North american operations; make / model years : Mazda / 2004-2006, subject: Driver side air bag frontal inflator may rupture.. and I have yet to receive any separate

- Malden, MA, USA

Sep 182015

MAZDA3

I was on a freeway off-ramp at approximately 50 mph, when loud grinding and crashing noises came from under the hood. The car then became difficult to steer, and would no longer propel itself. I coasted into a driveway near the bottom of the off-ramp. Upon inspection, I discovered that the transmission "motor mount" had broken. The engine apparently lunged forward, sheering off bolts to the other motor mounts, and landed on the suspension, severely damaging many front-end parts. The car was towed to the nearest Mazda dealership, whose service department confirmed my assessment of what had occurred. The repair estimate is approximately $3,000. Before the incident, the car was in excellent condition, having been well-maintained. (I have service records.) I discovered that Mazda had recalled a number of Mazda 3's for motor mount problems, but my car was not among those recalled. While the car is no longer under warranty, this is a very unusual type of failure, which, under other circumstances, could have caused a serious collision. I have owned numerous cars over the years, with far more miles on them, and never had a motor mount fail in such a catastrophic manner. This seems like a design/engineering flaw.

- Gilroy, CA, USA