2012 Mazda MAZDA3 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA3:

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jul 112016

Gas cap. This is a known problem. The gas cap works itself loose and causes the check engine light to illuminate since a loose gas cap introduces an oxygen leak. The dealer's fix is to tighten the cap. However, once the car is out of warranty, this causes the owner to have to either buy a code scanner to reset the code or go to the dealer and pay for a diagnosis. This problem is not affected by the type of driving or road conditions. The cap works itself loose and that triggers the warning light.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jun 272016

When decelerating, I'll push in clutch, apply brake, and shift to a lower gear. As I let out the clutch, car will sometimes lurch forward (as if I'm depressing accelerator even though I'm not). I must immediately depress clutch again and let out slowly to prevent the sudden surge in acceleration. Most often happens when I am coming out of a turn and begin to let out clutch. Also, at 3 1/2 years old, with 95,000 mostly highway miles, manual transmission has started popping out of 4th gear while driving. I'll be driving along and for no reason shifter will pop out of gear. Independent transmission shop said cause is likely bad bearings inside transmission and recommended replacement with manufactured transmission. I never had problems with my 2010 Mazda 5 with 5 speed manual transmission. I've reported problems to Mazda service and of course they can never get problem to repeat itself while they are driving.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Sep 252015

I just got off work and got in my car to leave. I turned on the car and everything seemed normal. I pulled out of the parking lot and as soon as I pulled up to the light, which was 1block away, my car shut off. I was just at the red light waiting then my car turned off and would not turn back on. All the power in the car was there but my car would just not turn back on, my vehical was being operated in the automatic position.this was dangerous because it was a Friday afternoon during the 5 O'clock traffic and I had all these vehicals lined up behind me honking and I had to push my vehicals off to the side and call a tow truck. My vehical was luckily on the city street.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 012015

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My wife was driving on the freeway - I was on the passenger side. This is the first time it happened. The car lost sort of reset itself - dash warning lights came on (according to my wife). Radio/cd stopped music - ABS light went on (that's all I can see from passenger side). My wife said others too but she was focused on the road because it was a construction zone. She was nervous and said the car was not responding to throttle. Luckily all went back to normal after 2 or maybe 3 seconds. The music came back on also. No check engine light or any sign of trouble. We pulled over and I checked the front to see if we hit something that could have caused it. Restarted the car - all seemed normal and reached our destination. This was our first 200 mile trip or more on this car. 1 day after arrival - I did a once over safety check (fluids, tire pressure, etc) nothing out of the ordinary. Got my obd2 code reader and it had the following U3003 U0140 U0428. So I will take this to our dealer for checkup.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Dec 192014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driving at approx 45mph, car lost acceleration, power steering, and multiple engine lights on. Car moved to site of the road and towed to dealer.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Jun 202014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driving at 70mph, lost acceleration and multiple engine lights came on. Had to move over to emergency lane on interstate and driving to nearest exit at approx 40mph. Car towed to dealer for repair.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Nov 242014

The check engine light had been on for a week; the dealer said it was no big deal and to bring it in at any time. However, the vehicle lost power one day and other warning lights came on. I was able to drive home at a very low rate of speed and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer said it was a bad fuel injector and replaced it. However, now, four months later, the car is having the same problem -- the check engine light has come back on. The car has not been getting the maximum mpg (about 10 percent less) and there is a noticeable hesitation when the car shifts gears. I will be bringing it back to the dealer. This is very similar to the same complaint of others regarding the sudden loss of power -- thank goodness I was not on a highway.

- Cohasset, MA, USA

Jul 292014

I was driving slowly in traffic when I noticed a large white spider about the size of my thumb come out of the dashboard (where the mpg display is located). The following morning, I noticed another spider on my dashboard near the vent at the very front. Both spiders looked exactly like the white sac spiders described in the Mazda 6 recall. I took it to the dealer today to have them look at it because I am concerned about the problems these spiders are known to cause in the fuel tank. Mazda refused to look at my car stating that my model wasn't part of the recall and therefore it was not their problem. Granted my model is not on the recall list, I am still having the same issue as the recalled vehicles. I asked them to write, sign and date a paper stating that they are declining to look into my car's problem in the off chance that something happens. I want to be sure that Mazda is held liable for refusing to even look at my fuel tank.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA