5.4

2013 Mazda MAZDA3 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda MAZDA3:

2013 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jan 012017

MAZDA3

I had warmed up my car for approx. 5 minutes on 1/1/2017, drove approximately 10 miles to a nearby city, and turned onto a city street driving 30 mph. I arrived at a turn onto another city street, completed the turn, and as I began to accelerate, my vehicle felt as if it had shifted into neutral on its own. As I pressed the accelerator, the rpms would rise but the vehicle was only coasting down the street. I checked the gear shifter, and it was still located in the drive position (automatic) I then checked the instrument cluster and and it showed drive with no maintenance or problem lights illuminated. I immediately pulled over shifted the vehicle into park, then back into drive. Everything seemed normal, so I continued driving down the same street and about 10 seconds later the same issue happened. I followed the same process as before and then continued to my destination. I believe that this issue is caused by something faulty with the transmission or related components. It seems to have done this randomly or when shifting into different gears. Also seems faulty as their are no other indicators of an issue. I feel that this is a very dangerous issue as if this were to happen during my transit to work each day (via highway, traveling 65 mph) the possibility of an accident is great I believe. I have conducted some research online and my findings indicate several other owners of the same vehicle have had this same issue with their transmission, costing them unnecessary dollars as well as risking safety by something I believe to be faulty equipment.

- Mitchell, NE, USA

Jan 012016

MAZDA3

Experiencing noisy/clunky shifting when moving up or down between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. (lower two gears worse) happens whether car is stationary or moving but seems worse when stationary, though this may be due to less engine noise and being able to Focus more on the issue. Started to happen before even reaching 50K miles.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Jun 292016

MAZDA3

When breaking my headlights flicker on and off. It only occurs when breaking. Second issue: When backing up from reverse gear and putting car into drive the transmission hesitates to engage and the car surges forward like it is not in gear. It will also make a metal on metal sound when foot is not on the brake pedal. Third issue: At 55 mph the vehicle shakes. Dealer said they cannot duplicate it but it happens always at 55mph.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 012016

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2013 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop light, the vehicle revved and violently jerked forward without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 23,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

MAZDA3

My car has had automatic transmission issues since I bought it. Intermittent lack of acceleration after coming out of a parking lot, making a slow turn and slowing down then needing to speed up on the freeway. I have almost been rear ended multiple times because of the car's inability to speed up immediately. The dealer I go to has test drove it and since the problem didn't occur on the short test drive they couldn't get Mazda to approve the repair. The technician has dealt with this problem before on multiple Mazda 3's and told me it was the transmission valve body that needed to be replaced. I contacted Mazda and they basically told me to pound sand, that they wouldn't fix it unless it occurred while the dealer tech drove. They didn't offer to give me a rental car so the tech could keep it for a few days and drive it, nothing. This is a dangerous situation that Mazda knows about and they refuse to acknowledge it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 042014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I started the car and the check engine light came on. Shifted into gear the "at" light came on. Brought it in for service and they need to replace the "trans valvebody". looks like a recurring theme here. The car is a 2013 Mazda3 I grand touring hatchback that is only about 7 months old and has less than 7000 miles.

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA

Nov 182013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My car suddenly shifted into neutral and would not shift out of it. I coasted to a stop, stopped the car, waited a bit, then restarted. It went about half a mile and the same thing happened. The dealer said it's a faulty transmission valve body (and I was told it's a known issue, but didn't see anything here or on Mazda's website). I was very lucky to have just gotten off the freeway before this happened.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 102013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My new 2013 Mazda3 with only 3660 miles failed on a busy highway. First, the engine made a loud noise every time I shifted gears (manual shift.) then, I could not change gears at all, and the engine failed----I just barely got it to the shoulder before it quit entirely. The dealer says the clutch needs to be replaced. I've had the car less than 6 months.

- Linwood, NJ, USA