1998 Mazda Protege exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mazda Protege:

1998 Mazda Protege Owner Comments

Jul 012002

The catalytic converter was replaced back in 09/01. I was told it would be replaced for free! I left paying $66.11 to replace catalytic converter. I have also had to replace a portion of the ac unit on 05/23/02. One month later approximately 6/25/02 I then heard a loud exhust noise. I had the vehicle looked at by a friend who found that the manifold had a siginificantly large crack. Moreover, the smell within the passenger campartment of the vehicle is extreme to the point when we get out of the car we have the smell of exhust fumes in our hair and clothes. The smell in the car is very overwhelming, that we must ride with the windows open for fresh air and lets just say we only get relief for just a short while with the windows open because we live in Florida and it is usually too hot & humid to have the windows open during the daytime. On longer drives it tends to make me sleepy also my 5 year old rides in this vehicle and has a history of asthma. This to me is a great hadzard to all of our health especially to his. I wonder if this is all related to each other. Or is it something that everyone has had a problem with? sincerely, julia.

- Alachua, FL, USA

Jan 051999

I have returned my car for repairs a total of six times since new purchase in July 1998. The converter was replaced, but the car still has an egg smell. It also hesitates when shifting at low speeds. I filed a lemon law complaint in May 1999.

- Randolph, MA, USA