1. replace engine (3 reports)
2004 Mazda RX-8 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Dec 302014

RX-8 1.3L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure

I like the car, but it has a problem with the compression. I bought a lot parts and it doesn't work. I tried to buy a new engine, but its very expensive. I wonder why it cost more then others engines. I tried to find a used engine but still the same thing, is very expensive.

- , Oakley, CA, USA

Sep 012014

RX-8 Coupe Rotary

This is the 3rd engine they are wanting to put into the car for the same engine failure problem..There was an extended warranty on this car - however Mazda never informed us..and even thought it's till 100,000 miles and eight years - theirs 940000 miles on car and past the eight years ..We have talked with Mazda Customer corporate and they refuse to help us with any of the labor cost of $1700.00. This car has had transmission replaced x3 all at our expense...Never buy a Mazda again.......

- , Boynton Beach, FL, USA

May 152013

RX-8 1.3L Rotary

Based on my information, according to numerous Mazda websites the Catalytic Converters are supposed to last for over 200,000 miles and I had to replace mine at 61,391miles. It wasn't until I received further engine failure warnings after replacement that I realized the engine problem was linked to the type of oil which was recommended by the car manufacturer. It even specifically states that the recommended oil for my car is a light weight oil ( 5w-20), which fails to protect against engine failure ultimately causing the Catalytic Converter to fail after only 30,000 miles.

Apparently Mazda, in an effort to meet the requirements by the EPA for MPG and avoid heavy fines, recommends owners of the RX-8 to use an engine oil (5w-20) that is lighter instead of using (5w-30) which protects better but is less gas efficient in order to meet the requirements set by the EPA; therefore, regardless of the fact that the seals in the engine, as well as Catalytic Converters, wear out four times faster than they are supposed to causing engine failure due to the Mazda recommended oil, car manufacturers still recommend and mislead consumers to use 5w-20 which ultimately causes the Catalytic Converter followed by the Seals in the engine to fail.

In addition, Mazda doesn't even sell rebuild kits from what I gather, which then requires the consumer to buy a whole new engine after 30-50,000 miles which costs anywhere between 3-6 thousand dollars! My only mistake was to listen to the manufacturers about which kind of oil my car takes and I got took. I got my car used with 14,000 miles for $29,000 and only 54,000 miles later my engine is blown because of the oil that I used which failed to protect my engine during the winter. I feel raped and not only do I have no way to get to work but now that I purchased a vehicle from Mazda I cannot see my daughter.

When I researched the matter online I came to realize that everyone else with the RX-8 are having the same problems and all their stories are the same as mine. I was not made aware of this whenever I purchased the vehicle and as far as I'm concerned they are thieves and what they did was false advertising.

- , Weatherford, TX, USA