2004 Mazda RX-8 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Oct 012009

I bought this car in Sept'09, used, with 49,000miles on it. One month later the oil light went on (strange, because the dealer I bought it from had listed an oil change on the delivery ticket; and I hadn't driven many miles in that 1st month) so I take it by my local Valvoline Oil Change location. The guy checks my oil via dipstick and he got a panicked look on his face and ran to get his manager. The manager gets under my hood, looks at the dipstick, wipes it/dips it again - & says "Whoa, Miss! You need to take this car back to the dealer you bought it from! I'm feeling sick by then... think'n "OMG - what NOW!". He showed me the dipstick, and it was coated with whitish gunk. He thought water had gotten into the oil compartment. I took it right back to the dealer, who searched their mechanics bulletins... and they are trying to tell me that Mazda has a bulletin out stating that white gunk on the oil dipstick is normal. They wouldn't do anything about this because of this Mazda bulletin. But every time I go to Valvoline now the mgr still shakes his head & says he's never seen anything like it. BTW, I'm there abt once a month to top off my oil, because the RX8 rotary engine goes thru oil pretty quick. Thats per another Mazda bulletin : (

- , St. Louis, MO, USA