2005 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 252010

Tribute 4-cyl

The 2005 Mazda Tribute freezes the accelerator often, especially in winter. The pedal freezes while the vehicle is in motion and when the leg from the accelerator pedal is removed and wants to accelerate the vehicle again. Sometimes it is little hard to push the accelerator (the accelerator resists) when the vehicle in motion.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Aug 012010

Tribute

I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute, I am the second owner bought from a buy here pay here dealer... when I accelerate its gets stuck and I have to kick the pedal down hard to get it going. This happens approx. 80% of the time.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 022010

Tribute

Accelerator pedal on 2005 Mazda Tribute sticks in the up (non-accelerating) position. Takes a significant amount of force to accelerate, causing car to spin tires and jerk forward. Usually occurs in cold and wet weather, but has occurred during warm weather as well.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Nov 012010

Tribute

My accelerator gets stuck frequently. This is dangerous and there is no way this could be my fault. It has gotten stuck on several occasions since November of 2008. On a separate note: My brake booster failed (twice) in two years.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Oct 042010

Tribute

I have had problems in the past where my gas pedal gets stuck. It's almost as if there is something lodged beneath the pedal, but the floor area is clear and free from any clutter. I have also noticed that this problem occurs once the weather changes; as soon as winter season starts is when I have this problem. I had it taken to a local mechanic shop and was told that there was a carbon build-up that needed to be cleaned out. The mechanic stated the carbon build-up was not allowing the throttle plate/flap to open and close like it should which was causing the gas pedal to stick. This can lead to a very dangerous or life-threatening car accident. This has happened for the past two years and is now starting up again. The only other complaint other than this is that the vehicle makes for a very noisy ride on the highway; I hear all outside noises such as the wind and bumps on the road.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 202010

Tribute

The gas pedal sticks while driving, it loosens up after a few moments, (putting the entire force of my body against pedal will not free it up). This has happened many times over the past couple of years, but has been happening much more over the last couple of weeks. Also last winter when it was cold at night as I pulled from my parking spot at work the engine seemed to rev suddenly as I pulled away. This would only happen occasionally and I figured it was due to the cold weather but I am not so sure now. I have searched the internet and found this has happened to others. The dealer charges them several hundred dollars to fix the problem. I see that there was a recall for the 2002-2004 Mazda Tribute for the accelerator cable recall 2704L. Is it possible there should be a recall for this model year.

- Ontario, NY, USA

Sep 102010

Tribute

2005 Mazda Tribute gas pedal sticking. Unable to accelerate at times. Almost cause a major traffic accident.

- Marksville, LA, USA

May 072010

Tribute

Gas pedal sticks in the up-position. No matter how hard I step on the gas pedal, it will not unjam until it's ready to. This has happened over 50 times, but the worst was yesterday when it happened in the middle of heavy traffic. I was almost stopped by the time the accelerator became unstuck, and the pressure I was applying caused the vehicle to jump forward, squealing the tires. Unnerving and dangerous!

- Chilliwack, Bc Canada V2r 3c5, 00, USA

Jun 282007

Tribute 4-cyl

2005 Mazda Tribute gas pedal sticks, no rhyme nor reason......circumstances are never the same, so it is scary when it happens. I press the gas and think that the Tribute is going to move, and nothing happens. Thankfully, I've never been hit! ( yet). Dealer repair shop was of no help. Click automotive ( where I bought the vehicle ), tells me to" bring it in when it's happening". stomping on the pedal doesn't cure it, it resumes working when it feels like it. I try shifting from gear to gear........reverse, neutral etc. Then all of a sudden it resumes working like nothing happened. This has been going on for the last 3 years at least.

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Mar 112010

Tribute

I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute. When proceeding from a stop, the accelerator pedal will not depress. I have to coast to the side of the road. No matter how hard I stomped on the accelerator, it would not depress. This happens all the time especially in cold weather. I see where there was a recall for the same problem on 2004 models. Please issue a recall on the 2005 to prevent accidents and possible death.

- Prairie Grove, AR, USA

Jan 212010

Tribute

2005 Mazda Tribute. The gas pedal sticks when accelerating. This occurs always. Results in lurching of vehicle and possible loss of control.

- Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 092009

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. When proceeding from a stop light the accelerator petal would not depress. After she pulled over to the side of the road, she was able to depress the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the throttle body was repaired at an expense of $ $325 dollars. The technician stated that this was a common failure for her model type. The failure mileage was 77000. The current mileage was 78000.

- Dupo, IL, USA

Nov 242009

Tribute

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. She applied pressure on the accelerator pedal between 10-15 mph to leave a stop sign. The vehicle would not accelerate, until she exerted a great amount of force to the accelerator pedal. The failure occurred on ten separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000. The VIN number was unavailable.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Dec 012005

Tribute

While driving our 2005 Mazda Tribute, most of the time when it is cold outside and other times when it is not, the gas pedal will be so stiff that it will be stuck in the non- accelerated position. My wife or I will have to pounce down on it a couple few times to get it to unfreeze and become operable again. (I'd say this has happened about 30 to 50 times in total since we bought the car brand new off the lot) today, December 1st. 2009, my wife was taking our daughter to school and the pedal froze in the non-accelerated position and she had to pull off the road to call me on her cell phone. I was feeling sick and in bed at the time of her call and got out of bed to go help her. The pedal stayed stuck for about five minutes. She kept putting pressure on it, but it would not come unstuck. When I got there, I pressed down on it and it was released. My wife keeps telling me this is dangerous and that we need to have it looked at. I have found recall info for these vehicles up to 2004 but not for 2005. Will you please do something to help us? we are not alone. I found a website: www.aboutautomobile.com that has nine separate people complaining about the very same mechanical problem for the very same year, make and model. Thank you for hearing me.

- Oceano, CA, USA

Oct 012006

Tribute

The gas pedal sticks (up position). Usually when it is cool out, though it has happened in warm temperatures. It happens when my foot has released the gas pedal and presses back onto it to accelerate. It does not go down. Most times I have to slam my foot on it a couple of times before it works (accelerates) but there has been several times that hasn't worked and I have had to let my car coast of to the side of the road. This is very scary! happens several times a day especially when it is cooler outside.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 252009

Tribute

Gas pedal sticks when engine starts up in cold weather and continues to stick until the vehicle is warmed up (30 minutes into driving). Causes car to jerk when starting from a stop. Acceleration is compromised.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Oct 192009

Tribute

In August 2004, I purchased a 2005 brand new Mazda Tribute SUV. At the end of 2005, I started having trouble with my accelerator sticking. I took it to the dealer for repair and assumed that this problem would never occur again. But, to my dismay, it seems to occur every year, especially when the cold weather arrives. I have taken it to the dealer several times for repair and I was told that I would need to come back within a certain amount of miles to have the throttle cleaned so the accelerator will not stick. Also, was told that this problem occurs with these type of vehicles. The throttle gets grime and gump in it and that's what causes the sticking. Recently, on last Friday, it began to stick again when I was driving into my neighborhood I could not get up on my driveway. I had to coast it along the side of the street and park it. Whenever this occurs, I cannot press on the accelerator at all, it will not budge and my car tends to lose power and begins to slow down. On Sunday evening, I was on the interstate when it occurred, very scary, I coast over into the right hand lane and over to the shoulder of the road, so I would not be hit from behind. On Monday morning, on my way to work, I was at a stop light and when I went to pull off after the light turned green, it would not move. This is so ridiculous, as I have to go to the dealer each time and pay for something that should have been a recall. I don't know if others have complained about this or not, but I decided to because I am afraid for my safety as well as others. This is very dangerous.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Oct 062008

Tribute

I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute and have had numerous incidents with the gas pedal sticking. This happens most often on cold fall mornings. The pedal will stick and not allow me to accelerate, general happening when I've been stopped at a red light, waiting to make a turn, or just as I go to accelerate while traveling straight. It has almost caused several accidents. I have taken the vehicle to the dealership twice without them able to solve the problem. This has happened every fall since 2005 and Mazda will not recognize the problem.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 302009

Tribute 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While stopped at a light. She went to take her foot off of the brake and the vehicle accelerated and hit the vehicle in front of her. In addition, a loud noise was heard. The engine began to rev excessively high and the vehicle rear-ended the preceding vehicle twice with moderate impact. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The police department was called to the scene and a report was filed. The front bumper of the contact's vehicle was damaged. The vehicle resumed operation and was taken to an authorized dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The insurance company and manufacturer were notified of the malfunctions. The failure and current mileages were 32,800. Updated 4/28/09 updated 04/30/09.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Nov 152008

Tribute

Accelerator sticks especially in cool weather. When trying to accelerate from a the gas pedal has to be hit hard causing a sudden acceleration. This is extremely dangerous in wet conditions or in traffic. Talked to Mazda dealership and this was a problem with 2002 models and a recall was issued.

- Plano, TX, USA