2005 Mazda Tribute engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Nov 302006

My gas pedal sticks. I cannot press it down to accelerate. It seems to only do it when its colder out. I've almost been in numerous accidents because I go to pull out onto the road from a stop and cannot go faster than idle speed. Almost every day that its colder out it sticks. Until last week I owned a 4X4 that I drove in the winter so getting the Mazda in to the shop was always on the backburner and mostly forgotten. The Mazda was driven mostly in the warmer months. I received recall notices in the mail and was told by a car salesman it was for my issue so so L was never in a hurry to get it in. Come to find out the recall is for the 04 Tribute's speed control cable issue and now my warranty is up. So nothing was ever done about it.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Nov 242008

Gas pedal sticks. You have to press or stomp hard in order to get the pedal unstuck. This is bad and could cause an accident. Will be taking in to have it checked out. Read other reports of this says it may be carbon build up. Not sure but something needs to be down if this is a wide spread problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 202008

During the winter after the purchase of my new Mazda Tribute, the gas pedal was sticking-I could not push the pedal down it was sticking so bad. I talked to the dealership and they told me it was carbon build up. They did clean it for me. It stuck last winter too. Now the gas pedal is sticking more than ever and they are telling me I need a whole new gas pedal assembly and estimated the cost at $191. I told them that this has been an ongoing problem and that someone is going to be killed over it. I have a 14 month old daughter and I am afraid to drive this vehicle. They told me they were not aware of any gas pedals sticking and it would not be covered under warranty. I then researched the sticking gas pedal and found out that it is a very wide spread problem.

- Indiana, PA, USA

Jan 302008

The gas pedal on my 2005 Mazda Tribute frequently locks up/ jams in place. This is a huge safety issue. It locks in the up position and will not release with any amount of pressure- sometime if I pull up on the pedal and then try to press back down, it will release, but not always. The pedal stays in the up position and will not do anything- the car cannot go leaving me stranded until it unlocks. Two times now it has locked up for an extended period of time (more than a few minutes) while I was out on the road. Luckily each time this happened I was able to get over, and it was not at a busy time of the day. Nothing will unlock the pedal when it jams- pressing on it as hard as I can, trying gently, or turning the car off and back on. I have just had to wait for it to release. I have found a lot of other people are having the same problem and cannot believe no one has been killed because of this- it is a huge safety issue if this were to happen in traffic, an intersection, or on the highway- the car will not move, and the driver is powerless to do anything! I took it to the dealer and they said it needs a total throttle assembly replacement- but based on other people testimonials this will not solve the problem- multiple people have said they have had this replacement and it still locks in place, so I am wary to spend $400 for something that will not work. If this were to happen out on the road it could have potentially life threatening consequences- being unable to move your vehicle because the gas pedal is jammed is a very unnerving experience.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Sep 292008

I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute that the gas pedal sticks on. I have had this problem fixed twice and it is recurring. It is a big safety risk because you never know when it is going to stick. It typically starts out only happening in the morning but it progresses to any time throughout the day. You may be driving and stop or decelerate and then when you start to go you cant because the gas pedal is stuck. And it will take multiple tries of pressing it before it will go. I don't know what to do. I know I will take it back to the dealership they will fix it and charge me and then in a few months the problem will reoccur. Please advise me on what to do. I also have a problem with the metal interior of the seat protruding under the fabric of the seat.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Feb 232007

Tribute 4-cyl

Gas pedal sticking and difficult to depress. Pedal/throttle body, "sticks" so that you must apply more and more pressure to the gas pedal until it "breaks free" and starts to accelerate the vehicle. This can cause the vehicle to lunge forward (or backward if in reverse). More of a nuisance at moment, but has become progressively worse in last month.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Dec 032006

I was driving at 50 mph and the gas peddle stuck, I was unable to accelerate, I had to slowly brake. It happened about 3 times, I took the 2005 Tribute to the dealer where they were unable to find out why this was happening, but did tell me they had never heard of this before. Thank god my children were not with me.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Oct 142005

Mazda Tribute 05. Gas pedal got stuck in the up position as I was turning in an intersection. Luckily no cars coming parked on the grass. This happened 2xs. Dealership just stated it needed a $150 throttle housing lubrication. Did not have it done due to it was not covered on the warranty. After this time it happened 2 more time to me and just 2 days ago it happened to my husband with our kids in the car. Luckily again no accident.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA