2005 Mazda Tribute suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mazda Tribute:

2005 Mazda Tribute Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 042016

The passenger side rear strut upper mount rusted and broke away from the body after 11 years and 126, 500 miles. The Mazda was purchased new in June 2005; and routine and as needed maintenance and repair was performed by the same Mazda dealer. I noticed rust in the passenger rear side wheel well in 2014 and began asking the Mazda dealer about it. During all Mazda full circle suspension checks performed by the Mazda dealer, the suspension was marked or checked "ok" "green", and then in Jan 2016- the strut mount rusted out of the body and the dealer said the car was unsafe to drive. I believe this was way too early for the car to rust out. I also question the integrity of Mazda's full circle inspection and the Mazda dealer. Had the Mazda dealer been candid and told me about the rust problem with this model and year rather than year after year continuing to suggest other maintenance and repair service, most likely I would have traded or sold this Mazda before it rusted out. Based on this experience, I will not purchase another Mazda.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Apr 272015

Rear inner wheel well shock mount is completely rusted through on passenger side of vehicle. Shock completely rusted away from frame on passenger side with drivers side condition soon to follow. Problem noted 04/27/15 at 95,000. Miles. Photos taken of issue. Problem occurred while driving 35 mph on residential street. Heard noise in rear of vehicle followed by bouncing in the rear end.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Oct 282015

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While driving 30 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger shock mount was corroded and the vehicle was unsafe to be driven. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Oct 212015

While driving, my passenger and I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear passenger wheel well. After inspecting it, we discovered that the entire wheel well was rusted out and that the suspension system was disconnected. Hence, the entire area is being cut out and rebuilt. After speaking with a representative from Mazda, my vehicle is out of any consideration of assistance from Mazda because of the age and mileage on the vehicle.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Aug 212015

I have had this SUV since new and have taken very good care of it. We do not drive it in winter as we have another car in fla. But still like thousands of other Tributes, escapes and mariners the right rear shock mount has rusted out along with inter finder wheel well!. which has left us with a very unsafe vehicle.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 062015

The right rear wheel well has a large hole going through to the lift gate area of the vehicle. It's all rusted out.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Upon bringing my 2005 Mazda Tribute into the Mazda service center for unrelated repairs and maintenance, I was informed that the right rear wheel well was heavily rusted and the shock would soon break through the rust and disengage from the vehicle. I contacted Mazda corporation to initiate a complaint and investigation. After the customer complaint department investigated the issue (contacting the diagnosing Mazda service center), I was informed Mazda corporation would not repair my vehicle because this issue was not under a recall, the vehicle warrantee expired, and Mazda was unaware of any similar additional consumer complaints. This Tribute has 109.000 miles and based on the dealer's service center assessment is in immaculate condition: Always garage parked, no other rust exists (including the undercarriage) on the vehicle, all maintenance for the past 10 years has been completed by the Mazda dealership service center, and this vehicle never incurred body damage (no accidents). As original owners of this vehicle, we initially purchased the corrosion protection and exterior paint sealant (the rustproofing material is still visible within the wheel well). We have been very responsible and loyal Mazda original vehicle owners, although after investigating this issue I have discovered hundreds of identical complaints which obviously relates to a manufacturer's defect causing a significant safety hazard for unsuspecting drivers of this vehicle. I am appalled that Mazda and the NHTSA have not investigated and recalled this vehicle to inform the public of this dangerous defect. It is time to take action and responsibility to reduce the safety hazard for all owners and drivers, especially since Mazda's own investigation concluded they were "unaware" of other complaints. Obviously this was not the truth but instead a cover up response to avoid culpability.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Sep 072015

I heard a loud thump coming from the rear of my vehicle. I asked my husband to look at it when I got home and found the rear passenger fender well rusted out around the shock mount. This car is not safe to drive in this condition and is only ten years old.

- Presque Isle, ME, USA

Aug 272015

While replacing the brakes on my 2005 Mazda Tribute, I discovered the right rear wheel well compromised by excessive rust. After researching online, this appears to be a major quality defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle and similar Ford and Mercury models (escape and mariner). I recently purchased this car, but only now noticed the rust. Several people are calling for Ford to issue a recall/repair for these vehicles for this issue. I agree with them.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Aug 262015

The contact owns a 2005 Mazda Tribute. While the vehicle was at the dealer for a routine repair, the technician diagnosed that the rear passenger side wheel housing and strut were corroded. As a result, the vehicle was deemed irreparable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Hazelton, PA, USA

Aug 232015

While turning into a business the lower control arm mount came apart at the subframe. There appears to be substancial rust in the area.

- Farmington, NH, USA

Aug 192015

I was on the freeway when I heard a loud thud the wheel well rotted out so bad that broke the shock on the rear back passenger side. This caused me to swerve and almost had an accident.. you recall the 2001 and 2004 models for the same issue why not add the 2005 because there is been hundreds and hundreds of complaints about this.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jun 272015

2005 Mazda Tribute, rear wheel well completely rusted. While driving my wife hit a bump in the road, she then tells me there is a rattle. So I drive it the next day. The rattle was very easy to hear. Upon inspection the rear passenger wheel well had disintegrated and was almost completely gone, and the rattle was the strut that had come undone hitting the cargo compartment. Just had tires and brakes replaced and they inspected the vehicle as well only 2 months prior with no mention of any other problems. Now it is unsafe to drive. No help from Mazda, insurance, or the super warranty that covers everything bumper to bumper(or suppose to). Come to find out while doing some research, this seems to be a problem for Mazda. The 01-04 Tribute has a recall for the same thing except calling for the front driver wheel well. When you take it in they replace all four. It also seems that the 05 model year has just as many problems with this as well. Both of us work and have to be able to get there as well as getting the children to multiple places. We bought this vehicle thinking that it was going to be a good and safe way to get where we need to go. Turns out it was just a matter of time with this issue. We are lucky that it was the back I guess and not the front as she had the kids with her while on the highway and if the front would have come loose at hway speed it could have been a different outcome. I hope this does not happen to anyone else. 2 estimates to repair both are $5-7000. Can't pay to fix, and can't trade it in as it is worthless right now. This is a problem that the NHTSA and Mazda needs to address. It is not only monetary but a safety issue as well. We work hard for what we have and feel like we just got robbed of our money. The dealers and Mazda got theirs though.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Aug 032015

The rear right wheel well has been completely rusted out to the point that the suspension broke through into the interior of the car. The left rear and both front wheel wells look to be in perfect condition which seems abnormal for just one wheel well to be affected by extreme rust and corrosion. We bought this Mazda Tribute less then a year ago from the dan wolf Chevrolet dealership in naperville Illinois, with it "passing inspection". since then my family and I have treated this car with extraordinary care by regular maintenance and overall cleanliness. The my family of five (three children) have used this vehicle everyday to drive to work and school not knowing the danger it apposed on us and other drivers on the road. When researching this particular problem we noticed that this very dangerous and unsafe incident has happened to owners of the 2005 Mazda Tribute across the U.S. ( the dealership nor Mazda have been any help to solve this problem. I believe that a recall for this car should be made to avoid any harm or threat to families and drivers on the road.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Aug 042015

When I took my Tribute in to get my annual inspection sticker the mechanic told me there was considerable rust underneath my vehicle he said it would not support the shocks in researching this vehicle I found there were 332 complaints and 53 was for the same problem I have I think Mazda should recall my vehicle or pay to have it repaired or I think all of us should file a class action law suit against Mazda or Ford because they own Mazda

Feb 092015

Tribute 4WD 6-cyl

The upper rear shock absorber mount came apart due to rust, the shock absorber came loose and was hitting against the wheel well or tire. Repairs were made at a cost of 4600. The other rear shock absorber mount on the driver side did not show any signs of rust. Updated 09/29/15... updated 09/30/15

- Marquette, MI, USA

Mar 162015

The car began making a loud banging noise from the right rear. Upon inspection by our mechanic it was diagnosed as a complete rusting through of the right rear well, causing the shock to no longer be attached to the frame. The shock was actually visible from the inside rear of the car. We were told the car was no longer safe to drive. Mazda was unwilling to do anything about the failure, in spite of my finding numerous other complaints related to the same failure on blogs. A frame shop had to install a new inner wheel house panel. Cost of the repair was $2000.

- West Olive, MI, USA

May 042012

No crash but the underside is rusted and unsafe to drive as it does not support the shocks this car should be recalled I understand Mazda recalled a lot of these cars from 2001-2004 with the same problem my car has new tires new brakes and new spark plus and pistons only 80,000 miles and runs good but it is rusted my daughter has a Honda with 123,000 miles and it runs perfect with no rust this is not acceptable to me that the Mazda is rusted. I would not advise anyone to buy a Mazda because they do not last very long.

May 052015

I own a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 80,000 miles, new tires, new brakes, new spark plugs and pistons (installed in April ) cost=1200.00 took my car in for an inspection in may and my mechanic told me there was considerable rust on the right wheel well and may not support the struts he advised me not to drive it and I took it to a body shop and they said D1500.+ not including labor and they could not guarantee they could GT rid of the rust, not involved in an accident-my car runs good but I afraid to drive it. 75 retired and this is my only mode of transportation and I cannot afford another car. I noticed on line Mazda has recalled a lot of cars for this same problem-do they nor undercoat cars anymore.

Mar 022015

The passenger side rear wheel well has rusted out. Suspension is now protruding into the interior of the vehicle. The extent of the rust is abnormal, even for the geographic area. It is no longer safe to drive the vehicle. Condition is result of manufacturing defect. Contacted Mazda usa to ask when they will be scheduling recall based on huge number of complaints re: Same issue and they stated that the issue is due to improper washing of the car and sent paragraph on how to wash a car. Useless.

- Ithaca, NY, USA