3.4

2010 Nissan 370Z steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan 370Z:

2010 Nissan 370Z Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 062015

370Z 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Nissan 370Z with power steering wheel lock issue which is the most common problem on 09-10 370Z and Nissan won't cover it under recall. The fix is for $1500. Nissan was my favorite make and now it surely lost my business a and left strangled. I have financial issues and now I can't afford to fix it and my car has been sitting for 3 days. Thanks Nissan with a great customer service, leaving your customer strangled. Even Nissan usa couldn't help resolve my problem and I am beyond frustrated. Please do yourself a favor and never buy a Nissan!

- Palatine , IL, USA

Dec 162014

370Z 6-cyl

I had gone to the gym and as I was leaving the gym my car wouldn't start. I tried everything I could think of but nothing helped, I finally took it to the Nissan dealer and they said the steering lock assembly had falling apart. The dealer I took my car to is town North Nissan is austin, tx.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 242014

370Z 6-cyl

Car ignition is stuck in lock after being parked to go into the mall. Known issue that Nissan issued recall for gtr which is a more expensive car but not for the Z a less expensive car. Car will not start or power into acc mode so the windows are also stuck down and have no way of going up. Issue has been reported many times butthe lower end cars do not get a fixc for this and will leave the owners stranded.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Dec 032014

370Z 6-cyl

On Dec 2 2014 I noticed that the intelligent ket light was on. Once I got home after work I looked it up on the manuel and it said it could be a malfunction and to contact a Nissan dealer. Well on the morning of 3 Dec I go to work and no light. At around 2030 I got released for the day. Go to start my car and nothing. Had to get a ride to a store and wait for wife to pick me up.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Sep 032014

370Z 6-cyl

Tried to start car in the morning and it did start moved up 5 feet to wash car washed car then tried to start again nothing would not start at all found out it was the steering lock assembly this is a know part to fail and theirs no way it should on a car so new it happens to a lot of Nissan 2009 2010 370Z its a known part to fail and when it does theirs nothing you can do to start the car it cost 1600 dollars to fix and Nissan knows theirs a problem but no recall the gtr had the same problem but they fixed that because its a very costly car but the 370 Z nothing yet the dealer just laugh and I also called Nissan and they did the same thing when they no this happens alot with this part I think its very bad for Nissan to treat their people like that I will never deal with Nissan again and I showed Nissan over a thousand emails and problems with this part and they just don't care I can understand if it was not a problem that much but this steering box on the 370 Z is a big problem 40 thousand dollar car and Nissan has or don't care I would just give it back too them but once they have your money Nissan can care less it seems like its sad.

- Forestville, CA, USA

Feb 192014

370Z

My car was parked at work and I went to start it when I was leaving to go home and it failed to start for two days, called Nissan they could not tell me what was wrong with it. They would not even had a tow truck come and tow the car. I had to have car towed thru my insurance company to Nissan dealership and they said it was the steering wheel lock. $1,300 later. I was stranded at work late at night. The internet searches show this has been a common problem for the 370Z owners since 2009. I feel Nissan should have a mandatory recall for a part that is likely to fail at any time and leave the driver stranded. I am terrified to turn my car off not a good feeling. Please help! and would appreciate being compensated for something that is not my fault.

- Mt Kisco, NY, USA

Feb 132014

370Z 6-cyl

Stopped the vehicle at a gas station to refuel. Upon completion of refueling, depressed the brake and pressed the starter button (normal starting procedure). The starter indicator would not change from "lock", the vehicle would not crank, and no accessories would activate. The vehicle was subsequently towed to a local Nissan dealer. After evaluation, dealer stated the "steering lock" unit had failed. After an internet search, this appears to be part 48700-jf00D. The Nissan dealer representative stated this issue is covered under a tsb, but I cannot confirm at this time. The dealer stated the part will not be available for at least two weeks, and Nissan will not offer a courtesy vehicle. Internet searches show this has been a common problem for 370Z owners since 2009, and the steering lock was removed in 2012 models forward. I feel Nissan should have done a mandatory recall for a part that is likely to fail at any time and leave the driver stranded.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 102014

370Z

Steering wheel would not lock after turning engine off. Later, it would not start. Called dealer. Asked if wheel would turn. Told them it would. They immediately suggested it was a steering wheel lock failure. Later confirmed at dealership.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 062013

370Z 6-cyl

On December 6, my vehicle's engine did not start at a gas station, so I had to tow it to the nearest Nissan dealership. When I towed it in to the dealership, the service writer already knew the cause of the failure and told me that this will probably be repaired at no charge. He said that this is very common on Z. after the diagnosis, he called me and said that the electric steering column lock needs to be replaced. This parts is what they replaces a lot for this service campaign, but somehow my vehicle does not fall in to this service campaign, and he does not understand why it does not, so he told me to call 800-nissan1 to file a complaint. Now, this service campaign was released for electric steering column lock problem for 2009-2010 370Z, and now, based on service writer?S opinion and my research on this campaign, my vehicle issue should be included in the service campaign due to 1 my vehicle is 2010 370Z. 2 the parts which caused for my vehicle issue was electric steering column lock, and this part is the exactly same parts replaced to take care of this service campaign.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 192013

370Z

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan 370Z. The contact stated that after several attempts, the engine failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the malfunction was related to a voluntary recall issued by the manufacturer. The recall pertained to the electronic steering column lock, however the contact's VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Ocean Springs , MS, USA

Oct 262013

370Z 6-cyl

Car would not start, no warning at all. Had car towed to dealer. Replaced faulty steering lock assembly. This is a known issue with Nissan and they need to recall or extend the warranty on this part. I am out $1200 for an issue Nissan is well aware of.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Oct 232013

370Z 6-cyl

Dealer says it's the steering wheel lock issue. Warranty expired and now they're asking 1,200 to fix the issue for parts and labor. This is ridiculous. Apparently it's a common issue for all 2009 and 2010 Z's and they're only recalling some 2010 models. I need this recalled because of the obvious defective part that was installed in the car. Unless I can get this fixed at no cost I will not purchase another Nissan. Ever. They already have awful brakes and rotors and now this? shame

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 082013

370Z 6-cyl

Electronic steering lock failed at 31,900 miles. Same story as all of the other complaints on here- car would not start. Intelligent key light flashed on the dashboard. This defect can be extremely dangerous, leaving the driver stranded in any location and any kind of weather without any warning. Problems with the electronic steering lock are well-documented and well-publicized and have resulted in extended warranties offered to 2009 Altima, maximas, and select 2009-2010 370Z and gtr. However, it is the same part that is failing on all of these models. Why are some vins included in the service campaign/extended warranty while others are not? they all contain the same defective part (48700-jf00A, 48700-jf00B, or 48700-jf00C; reva, revb, or revc). I purchased the car new and have owned it for 3 years and 4 months so it is outside of the original warranty. Repair costs are $1100-1400 including labor. I am tired of Nissan telling me that my vehicle is not an affected VIN. Clearly, it is. Nissan needs to extend the service campaign to all vins that contain this defective part to prevent putting drivers in a potentially dangerous situation. How many complaints need to be filed before a trend is noted by ODI? this will be my last Nissan.

- Williamsburg , VA, USA

Oct 072013

370Z 6-cyl

Went to the supermarket and when I returned to the car 15 min later to return home the car wouldn't start dealer confirmed that the steering lock had broken and the fix was between $1300-1700. The same issue was found on the Nissan gtr but Nissan issued a recall for the $85K but neglected to extend the recall to include the 370Z.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 142013

370Z 6-cyl

Please issue recall! steering lock control unit failed with cost approximately $1000-$2000. Thank you!

- Orange, CA, USA

Mar 012013

370Z 6-cyl

Left stranded in a stressful situation. I got into my vehicle and it would not start. Thought it was the key, so a day later after leaving the car stranded I came back with my spare key. It didn't work either. Had to tow it to the dealership. They said it was the steering column lock which failed in place rendering the vehicle useless. Once the steering locks, the vehicle becomes electronically disabled. This seems to be a common problem with the 370Z models 2009 thru 2011. 100% of comments I have read claim Nissan does not cover repairs. Total cost of repairs = $1000 to $2000. This is frustrating I bought the car with 7K miles on it, now 10000 miles later and about a year of owning it this happens.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 222013

370Z 6-cyl

Car would not start. Left me stranded. Had to call a flatbed truck to take it to the garage. They told me it was the steering lock unit that caused the problem.

- Alpharertta, GA, USA

Feb 042013

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock failed causing car not to start. Part was 48700-jf00B.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 242013

370Z

Steering lock relay failed and caused wheel to remain locked (car will not start). Cost over $1,000 after labor and tow. Widely documented issue on many websites and car forums (the370Z.com). Also, issue has been addressed by Nissan for the GT-R and even removed this steering lock from newer 2011 models, and all 2012 and 2013. They need to recall this part with an updated part or remove it completely and reimburse those affected!

- Corona, NY, USA

Jan 062013

370Z 6-cyl

Electronic steering lock failed causing the computer to not start my car. Stranding me with a car that wouldn't start.

- Atlanta, GA, USA