CarComplaints.com Notes: In a very limited selection on small pickup trucks, the Frontier is one of the best options except -- and I cannot emphasize this enough -- for one problem that makes it an avoid-at-all-costs pain in you know what: the radiator ruptures and leaks coolant into the transmission, killing it. Such a buzzkill.

This problem affects most 2005-2008 (and maybe beyond) Frontiers.

9.0

$3,741.00

1. replace radiator and transmission (118 reports)
  3. replace radiator and transmission due to oil contaminati (12 reports)
  4. replace transmission (6 reports)
  5. fix it and compensate owners for full expense (5 reports)
  6. extended warranty announced by Nissan on 10/15/10 (4 reports)
2005 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Frontier:

2005 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jun 012016

Frontier V6

I bought this 2005 Nissan Frontier with 109,000 miles in June 2015. Did check Carfax before buying but showed no problems. Drove some in for 6 months & realized problem with overdrive in transmission. Then learned of the problem with coolant mixing with transmission fluid. Called Nissan Customer Service & was told that had been a class action lawsuit but only applied if less than 100,000 miles (so was SOL) in regards to help from Nissan. Had radiator replaced & transmission flushed. Was only a temporary fix. Now it is locked in 3rd gear so will cost me approx. $4500 to get transmission replaced. This was my first Nissan and will be my last!!!!

- , Roxboro, NC, USA

Jun 292016

Frontier

Frustrating because it started off intermittent and I had to repeatedly leave the truck with my mechanic and when they opened up the transmission it was rusted so it made them suspicious. They then researched and realized the flawed design and so I had to have the radiator, thermostat and transmission control module and the valve body assembly replaced.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 102016

Frontier Nismo V6

"Low Down" would be an understatement in describing Mtn. View Nissan of Chattanooga, TN.

My wake up call came yesterday (10-10-16) when I took my 2005 Frontier to be serviced, for what I would describe as the transmission appearing to be slipping.

I bought my truck brand new from them and we had an 11 year relationship in doing business. I've always thought of this dealership as fair and honest until yesterday when it was revealed that they had been deceiving me for the past 11 years.

After a 4 hour wait, what heart break I felt when Service Advisor, Brandon Cobb, informed me that the technician found an innermix between transmission and radiator fluid and the repairs would be $4,877.68, because the transmission needed to be replaced. He also stated that rust was found in my radiator. This is was so puzzling to me since I have maintained the service on my truck since I purchased it. I came so often that I knew a few of them by name.

As I was still waiting, I Googled this problem only to find that Nissan was involved in a class action law suit in 2013 for deceiving customers regarding this same issue. As I read on, it showed that 2005 Frontier's and other Nissan vehicles were involved. There are also many complaints on line against Nissan about the faulty build of the radiator and transmission, which causes the contamination. This leads to transmission failure, as it has in my case.

I mentioned what I found on line to Brandon Cobb and his response to me was that it wasn't his responsibility to tell me that there was an issue with the radiators and transmissions of the make and model of my very truck. He also stated that I should have received information about an extended warranty shortly after I purchased the truck. Once again, that tells me that Nissan and employees knew and deliberately withheld this information once again.

It's also amazing how Brandon and others who have helped me in the past would often come with a check list of things that needed to be serviced in the future. The transmission/radiator issue was never mentioned in 11 years! It wasn't even mentioned when I paid money for routine transmission work in July 2015. Not to mention that my truck only has 95,000 miles and I thought was in good condition. I also felt deceived with the warranty thing. Brandon mentioned that my truck was past the time limit of the warranty. That shows me that I wasn't told expecting my truck to fail after their "so called" warranty had already expired.

In speaking with service manager, he only added fuel to the fire with his arrogant tone. I no longer have trust in a company that treats a loyal customer or anyone in this manner. What a stab in the heart, not even the back!

Nissan, I will never purchase another vehicle from you nor give you my business. I have placed a call to your cooperate office but will go even further because they are one of you. The complaints prove that as well. One day, God will expose your deceitfulness for the world to see. He will break the very back bone of your arrogance and bring to your remembrance of how you built your company on taking advantage of women such as myself!

- , Chattan, TN, USA

Aug 222014

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

Was driving home from work going 70 when the truck stopped shifting ..surrounded by a lot of traffic and the truck stalled the transmission got radiator fluid....can't afford the fix was told by Nissan it would be almost 7k to fix...

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 172016

Frontier SE V6

I just found out about this issue. My 2005 Nissan Frontier had coolant leak into the transmission and is now costing me $4,200 to get fixed. After reading other comments on this site, not sure that this will even entirely fix the problem in the long run. Now I am out a pile of cash and have to rent a vehicle to get back in forth to work. And of course I am beyond the mileage and timeframe for any benefit of the recall.

We bought my wife a Rogue earlier this year before I knew about this issue. If I could go back knowing what I know right now, I would have never purchased that vehicle for her. I am absolutely disgusted with Nissan and needless to say, we will NEVER purchase another Nissan vehicle after this debacle. I used to think that Nissan was a reputable company that produced reliable, affordable products. Man, was I fooled. Beware to those folks who've not had this issue with their 2005-2010 Nissan vehicles. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it's almost assuredly coming. Get out, now.

May 022016

Frontier SE 4L V6

when the problem was discovered nissan could have recalled the trucks affected and added an external transmission cooler

May 112015

Frontier LX V6

My only vehicle. I have two grandbabies that I have responsibility for and my vehicle was the only way I had to go..my frontier started slipping in gear not wanting to go..it would just quit and the transmission would just spin.. I had it checked and was told the transmission way shot.. Was told the radiator had leaked into the transmission..it cost me $4200.00 to get fixed..it's a 2005 model and was out of warranty..it has been fixed a just over a year and since this happened the "check engine" light stays on none of the gages work..and when you are traveling down the highway the transmission will kick in and out of gear then ..the vehicles engine just shuts down ..I have almost gotten hit because of the engine shut down..still being told it was all because of the transmission..can't afford another transmission or a new truck.. Nissian needs to put a recall on this problem.. I have seen dozens of reports on here concerning the same problem...they need to fix this mistake..

Update from May 24, 2016: After having to have the radiator and transmission replace..all the gates quit working..also the engine stalls...just shuts down going down the interstate..the transmission still kicks in and out of gear going 70 mph..wish I could afford a new vehicle...but I can't..the way it is now when I do but a new vehicle it will not be a nessian..and this truck is my 449th Hessian I have bought..never again..

- , Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Apr 102013

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

Nissan has lost a lifelong customer with this truck and problem they knew this was a problem with these vehicles and all they did was send a letter telling you that this MIGHT happen to your vehicle, hey Nissan how much is customer loyalty worth ? $200-$300 to replace a radiator before it destroyed the transmission? After all you'll give a $500-$1000 customer loyalty cash off a new vehicle !!! I just have one question Nissan!!!! What moron do you have running that company because you should fire him/her or better yet have them commit harakiri for the dishonor they have brought on this once outstanding car company that created the Hard body and the 620 as well as the 510 and several others WAKE UP NISSAN before it's to late and the only place to see a Datsun/Nissan is in a museum

- , Cedarpines Park, CA, USA

May 162016

Frontier SE 4.0L

This is my fathers truck. He is 85 and went to the dealer for an inspection. On the way there he incurred a bad vibration and eventually the dealer told him of the problem. He was presented with a 8100.00 estimate for the failed transmission, radiator, timing chain, etc. my father always keeps his truck serviced by the dealer, always garage kept, and is always getting compliments on how good it looks.

How Nissan didn't provide a recall for this problem is beyond me. I spoke with Nissan N America and waiting for a return phone call. His truck only has 62,000 miles on it and the repair cost is more than the book value of the truck. Not good. I'm not expecting much help from Nissan

Update from May 20, 2016: Found a transmission shop in Stroudsburg PA who will do the job. 1,000.00 cheaper than Nissan and comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile full parts and labor warranty

Rebuild trans, add another external trans cooler, new radiator, flush radiator expansion tank.

At the least Nissan should have done this at cost

- , Centereach, NY, USA

Jun 032014

Frontier Se 4x4 4.0L V6

I took it to Aamco to have them check it out, it was a free diagnostic. They told me the problem. So then I took it to Nissan and they wouldn't check it unless I paid $120.00 for them to diagnose the problem. I showed Nissan my paperwork from Aamco and paperwork I found on the internet stating what the problem is, but Nissan still wanted my $$$ for them to tell me what I already knew. I then called Nissan headquarters and they told me I have to go back to have Nissan diagnose the problem. They were NO help. NISSAN as a whole SUCKS!!!

- , Calimesa, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Frontier SE 4L V6

I have driven Nissan cars and trucks since 1985. a 1985 Nissan was the best car I ever had this 2005 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. numerous problems oil pressure, fuel tank, timing chain, radiator, transmission. Repair cost so far this year $4,700.00

Jan 082015

Frontier SE

I think it's shameful for Nissan to sidestep this problem. There is no way any car or light truck manufacturer should be able to dismiss this problem the way Nissan has. I consider my truck as still having low mileage (especially when your talking transmissions) and that based on how many of these trucks have the same problems Nissan should step up to the plate.

- , Courtenay, BC, Canada

Feb 142013

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I have been a loyal Nissan owner for more then 30 years but this Frontier will be my last Nissan!!! The fact that Nissan knew of the problem and that it was due to BAD ENGINEERING CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIAL and did nothing about it shows how little Nissan cares about its customers the fix would have been so simple and cheap NISSAN you are giving American car makers a good name, well Nissan its. Been fun (NOT) but it's time for me to say good bye for good.

- , Cedarpines Park, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Frontier Nismo 4.0L

Transmission causes my 2005 Frontier to violently buck and jump at unpredictable times while driving. It seems to occur only when the transmission has well warmed-up. Happens at 40 to 65 MPH. Applying the overdrive will cause the bucking/jumping to stop temporarily.

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Feb 052016

Frontier SE V6

Problem: Cracked radiator is letting coolant (antifreeze) leak into the transmission of my 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew cab truck. Repair estimate from Eastern Carolina Nissan dealership (3315 Hwy 70 East, New Bern, NC 28560, 252-636-1000) was $5,300 for a new transmission which includes replacing the radiator also. I am in the process of getting estimates for fixing the problem and the truck's transmission. I have been driving the Datsun/Nissan vehicles since 1975 and have not experienced any real problems until now. I love my Frontier, but will be unable to trade or sale it without FIXING the radiator and the bad engineering problem.

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Jan 012016

Frontier

Basically I do not have the money for this major repair so I am trying to find someone to take the vehicle off my hands for cash and/or as a trade in. My truck is certainly over the mileage for any type of assistance. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

- , Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Sep 182015

Frontier SL 4.0L

WHEN I FIRST FOUND THIS PROB I WAS IN A STATE. WHAT A MESS AND ON TOP OF THAT NISSAN WON'T DO A DAMN THING. LAST ONE I WILL EVER OWN AND I HAVE HAD FOUR(4) FRONTIERS. TALK ABOUT HURTING SALES. BE A HELLM OF A LOT CHEAPER TO FIX THE PROB. THAT IS YOUR FAULT ANYWAY. WHAT A BITCH!!!!!!

- , Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 012015

Frontier 4.0L V6

2005 Nissan Frontier has been nothing but trouble. I can't sell it because I have a conscience-unlike Nissan. I've replaced u joints, cad converter, o2 sensor, cam shaft sensor, computer ($900). I thought it was over then the transmission starts slipping. Of course the Nissan dealership new exactly what was wrong and had me have it towed to them. Cost me $100 for them to tell me that I had antifreeze in my transmission. A few days earlier, I told them that for free. I tried just replacing the radiator, but no such luck. That cost me a little over $700 and didn't last long. Now it's in the shop again having the transmission rebuilt--the bill is $4,194. That's just the first 100,000 miles...woo hoo.

- , Coeurdalene, ID, USA

Aug 012015

Frontier S E 4.0L

I was riding in my truck one night and i started to experience something wrong with my transmission. The truck stopped running as it started to lose power. The next day it would not start at all. I took my Nissan truck to Nissan dealer and they informed me that the radiator coolant ran into my transmission causing the transmission to be destroyed. I was told that it will cost 5200 dollars to repair truck. Wow I thought after finding out that other people was having same problem. Thousand others. I notified Nissan and I was given a code number and then they called back and stated that they sent out information for a 9 year extended warranty, which I never received. Then I was told by Nissan factory that they could not help me at this time. This is how you treat your customers? Never again.

- , Ethel, LA, USA

Feb 202015

Frontier V6

Check engine light came on, got scanned at auto zone, all codes referenced transmission & sensors (i.e. cam shaft)...Took to Geurlich's Auto for an inspection and transmission was suggested to be replaced...Took it to AAMCO for an inspection/2nd opinion and same diagnosis, replace/re-build transmission.

Finally accumulated the funds to have a mechanic rebuild our transmission and upon return of our vehicle, and unbeknownst to us, he mentioned the know issues/investigation stemming back to 2012 with the radiator leaking into the transmission and causing it to fail, which is ultimately what he felt happened.

Since we purchased the vehicle on 08/08/2012 with an odometer reading of 100,340. we would have been entitled to none of the repair options or concessions Nissan offered under the proposed class action, since all were offered only up to 100K miles. The date the investigation was opened according to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ was 6/11/2012, 2 months prior to our purchase. The dealer at the time should have been well aware of the open investigation and provided us information on it so that we may have made a more informed decision.

I feel that this purchase, although 3 years post purchase, warrants reimbursements to us of the cost to re-build the transmission, replace radiator, etc.

- , San Tan Valley, AZ, USA