9.0

$3,514.00

1. replace radiator and transmission (88 reports)
  3. extended warranty announced by Nissan on 10/15/10 (4 reports)
  4. replace transmission (4 reports)
  5. replaced the radiator (3 reports)
  6. add an external transmission oil cooler (1 reports)
2005 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Frontier:

2005 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Feb 122014

Frontier SE/LE 6 cyl

HAD A LEAK IN FRONT CENTER OF TRUCK could not determine the source. Could be oil because it left a spot on the drive way. after reading about this trucks track record on trans problems and coolant I thought maybe an external trans oil cooler in front of the radiator might mitigate the problem. Has anyone done this?

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Frontier

I almost DIED on a busy highway on my way to work when my Nissan just stopped working. The radiator cracked, leaked coolant into the transmission that caused the engine to fail. $3500 to replace the radiator and transmission which did not include the time I lost to fix it.

I did my research, and I am utterly DISGUSTED with Nissan KNOWINGLY selling a defected product that could have killed me. Nissan CHOOSE NOT TO RECALL IT. This is my first and will be my last Nissan. Nissan, how can you sell something knowing that this it could kill someone? Covering 100,000 miles does not make it right when you knew your product was defected. DISGUSTING.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Jun 092010

Frontier V6 4.0L

HEY MY FATHER BOUGHT A BRAND NEW OFF LOT NISSAN FRONTIER 05..FROM PELTIER IN TYLER TEXAS. HE PASSED AWAY JUNE OF 09.. THE TRUCK HAS SAT UP NOT RUNNING DUE TO THE DAMN FLUID IN TRANNY..IT WONT RUN AT ALL.I CALLED UPON THE LETTER FROM NISSAN MY MOM RECEIVED AND THEY SAID THEY WOULDN'T FIX IT .SO NOW I'M OUT OF MY POCKET TO FIX THE DAMN THING.. ITS GOT SENTIMENTAL VALUES OR ID PARK IT ON THEIR LOT WITH A I'M A PIECE OF CRAP TRUCK.

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Jul 062014

Frontier 4

Got radiator leak fixed (approx 154-156000 kms) a year ago and they told me no problems. Felt it shifting which I thought was not normal but they told me it was. so drove it, called couple times after and was told if that's what they told you don't worry about it unless the light comes on. So i dealt with it the way it was. Sunday past July 20, 2014. The light come on and I lost all gears in the middle of the Highway with 2 small kids in the truck with me. Had to slowly let it drift to the side of the highway, which barley made it. A mechanic of mine looked at it and said it was the Toque Converter. So as of right now it is sitting in my Driveway, Nissan said they wont fix it under warranty Due to the radiator. I can't afford to pay to fix it right now as husband laid off and I only make $2000 a month and will cost me 1500 just for the converter part itself. Don't know what to do, so many people tell me they should cover it, but I even called head office and they say no.

- , Caledon, ONT, canada

Jul 102014

Frontier Naismith 4.0L Gas

At 88,000 and change my transmission gets coolant cross contamination from a cracked radiator part and starts shuddering and up/down shifting all the time between 40 and 60 mph. Go to Nissan dealership and am told I must copay $2500 to have the problem fixed. My research points to poor design by Nissan that should have been recalled and repaired by Nissan with no copay.

- , Haleiwa, Hawaii, USA

Apr 162014

Frontier Se 4x4 V6

My husband was picking me up from work when we made it about a mile down the freeway and the truck began to run really rough. Our thoughts were what the hell is wrong. After babying it we made it home. We pulled into the driveway opened the hood looked down and their was purple sludge coming out of it. After doing some research on the problem and talking to some mechanics we were told to flush the system and replace the radiator. So we did as they suggested. After all was done and took it for a test drive the trans was slipping. We finally called AAMCO and a gentleman told us to bring it in for a diagnostic he confirmed it was the transmission. At this time he also told us about a class action lawsuit pertaining to this problem and that we should call Nissan headquarters, so I did and with no luck! My husband is disabled and we do not have the money to repair it right now. So my question for anyone out their is there someone I can call and speak to that can help with this issue? I have tried calling a lemon law lawyer and no luck with that either. It is ironic that Nissan knows this problem exist but refuses to fix the problem and not only that they are the rudest people I have talked to. There thing is they want us to pay for another diagnostic threw Nissan.I can honestly say I will never buy another Nissan in my lifetime.

- , Calimesa, CA, USA

May 162014

Frontier Nismo V6

Nissan can't even make a radiator work properly!!! Service rep says they don't even use Nissan radiators - outsourced (read: cut costs, cheap for them, expensive for us). Crack in radiator leaks coolant into trans causing transmission failure. Total run-around from Nissan North America. Excuse after excuse. Your mileage blah blah blah.

They designed and manufactured things as terrible as they could or used secondary sources that designed things terribly and aren't taking responsibility for these awful practices. They should fix it and compensate owners for full expense. Instead they're leaving consumers with hefty bills for things they should be taking care of. Inherent design flaws and offer NO assistance for things they caused. Greedy, two-faced, underhanded business practices. Do NOT buy Nissan. They will never receive another cent from me.

- , Norco, CA, USA

May 162014

Frontier Nismo V6

I drive safe, have done all required maintenance, and still Nissan won't help. Radiator crack causing coolant leak into transmission resulting in transmission failure. Nissan did offer extended warranty up to 90 or 100k miles but anything past this, you're on your own (even though mileage for this problem isn't the issue). This is at least the third time something that covered by Nissan's warranty happened after the warranty expired. The problem is something they've known about and is an inherent design flaw.

List of things I've repaired: catalytic converter - one replaced under warranty but they didn't fix the second because they didn't happen at same time even though it was the same problem. Multiple sensors in trans, coolant, etc... and now will have to replace radiator and transmission at a cost to me of over $5000!!!!! Terrible contact with Nissan North America. No support from dealership. Nissan North America is a heartless corporation and knows there are design flaws that cause safety issues and the repairs aren't even completely successful and yet does NOTHING to help it's loyal customers. I hope the entire company fails just like all their vehicle operating systems and that all their customers flock to Toyota or some other company. They don't deserve ANY money from one more person. EVER.

- , Norco, CA, USA

Apr 022014

Frontier LE 4.0L V6

This problem is well-documented, so I won't go into details about the background. Bottom line - Nissan is aware that this is a defect inherent to these trucks. The defect directly causes MAJOR issues that cost a third of the new price of the truck to have fixed properly. And they have done little about it. The TSB response is a joke. There should be no tiered copay structure. If a customer experiences the issue, at any mileage, it should be paid for. If it is such a small percentage of people that are affected, then this policy would cost the company very little. However, they know that MOST trucks will fail, and are protecting their wallets with this meager attempt at appeasing customers.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Frontier LS 4.0L. V6

Bought this Nissan April of last year for my son in high school and one year later all this crap happened. Thought it may be a sensor, than I took radiator cap off and there was oil in the top of it. Changed the radiator, that cost me $212, and flushed the transmission with $150 worth of transmission fluid, No Luck. Finally took this junk to trans shop and transmission man wouldn't rebuild because of the amount of water in it. $4300 for manufacture rebuilt. Would not own another Nissan product.

Buyer beware. They don't stand behind their products, even knowing that they may be a defective product on them.

- , Trumann, AR, USA

Mar 282014

Frontier King Cab V6

I only have 2 vehichles and my wife and I both work. Of course I can't drive it so I had to lease a vehicle. A local garage is checking on another transmission but it is going to be very costly. I have had nothing but trouble with this truck since I purchased it. The first week I had it it had to go back to the garage and it took a month until I got it back. It was under the 1 month warranty at that time. The truck looks nice but I would never buy another and I would discourage anyone else from buying one.

- , Alum Bank, PA, USA

Feb 222014

Frontier

Is there any hope Nissan is going to pay for repairs and is there a class action law suit I can join?

- , Osburn, ID, USA

Mar 072014

Frontier CC Nismo 4.0L

Nissan knew this was a defect in the radiator and needs to step up fixing the cars.

Thought I am eligible for the 3K fix, a lot of people cannot afford that. Nissan do the right thing.

Once fixed, I will drive the truck into the ground but I will never buy another Nissan product ever!! Ever!!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Feb 142014

Frontier LE 4.0L V6

Because there is a coolant-leak problem, which it blamed on an internal crack on the oil cooler tube.I have to pay $2500 as part of an extended warranty deal that Nissan made in order to settle.(Unlucky me: I was 2 months over 8 years and 840 miles over 80,000 so I must pay the $2500 as part of a copay). I am looking at a new tranny and a new radiator.So not fair. This was a manufacturing problem not normal wear and tear and certainly nopt owner error.

The following is a copy of their extended warranty:

Radiator Assembly Warranty Extension

Nissan previously extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Radiator Assembly for certain MY 2005-2010 Frontier, Pathfinder, and Xterra vehicles to 8 years/80,000 miles (whichever occurs first). All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.

Nissan is pleased to announce an additional extension of the coverage of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty on the radiator assembly, subject to certain customer co-pays that vary with age/mileage above 8 years/80,000 miles, to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

- , Winchendon, Massachusetts, USA

Dec 012013

Frontier SE V6

It's really unfortunate that the customers are forced to pay this massive amount for a problem that's KNOWINGLY widespread with these vehicles. I could see if this problem only occurred with improper maintenance, but this is occurring even with well maintained vehicles. So we constantly have to shell out money to maintain parts that are just going to breakdown at less than 100k miles anyway. Seems like they should have just told us to save that money because you will have to replace that transmission and radiator soon, anyway. Really unfortunate.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Dec 172013

Frontier SE 4.0L

I have not got it fixed but, I am sure it will be $2,000 and Nissan knows it is a issue.

- , Anderson, CA, USA

Dec 132010

Frontier LS

I went to dealer because trans. was shifting really hard & radiator was always low. They changed the fluid & flushed the radiator, a few months later & now out of Warranty the same problems showed up again only this time I had to have the radiator replaced & the transmission rebuilt.

- , Frazier Park, CA, USA

Dec 162013

Frontier SE 4.0L V6 4x4

I was rear ended and the truck was in the shop for a month to replace the frame. The auto body shop reassured me that the vehicle repair was covered under a lifetime warranty as long as I owned the vehicle when I asked them what mechanical components would be affected?

The vehicle drove fine to and from work until about 300 miles later when my transmission failed on the interstate. I had it towed back to the auto body shop where the repairs were done and they called it a "horrible coincidence" and wouldn't pay for the repair. The transmission shop determined that this was just like every other Frontier, XTerra and Pathfinder they see and found there was coolant in the transmission. Cost to repair transmission is about $4500 and a part must come from Nissan. Plus the radiator needs to be replaced and labor cost. Final bill is roughly $5000.

My insurance is denying any connection to the accident and basically hanging me out to dry. I didn't know about the class action law suit with Nissan or the transmission/radiator defects so I am assed out. I love my Frontier and put a lot of blood, sweat and tears (and money) into it. Not sure if I can bet on another Nissan, but at this point mine is toast!

- , Boise, ID, USA

Sep 202013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

I have owned four Nissans and I would have to say that until this problem I really liked Nissan products. Now since I have had this problem on a manufacturer defect that Nissan knew existed, they can hang it up. I was going to drive my truck until it died or until I had the cash saved to buy a newer same make of vehicle, but that's not going to happen. I'm quite sure that Nissan has fixed this issue on newer models, however what if the next time it is a manufacturer's defect on the engine and this time instead of having to pay over $5600, I would have to pay $7500 or better.

I do know about anyone else but I don't have that kind of loot to throw away buying Nissan vehicles when they have proven to me that they aren't willing to stand behind their product and make right a major issue that was their own fault. You may save $5600 now Nissan, but you will lose much more than that over the course if the rest if my life when I no longer buy Nissan vehicles and also strongly discourage others to not but pay them. I don't know what business professionals made this decision compared to the tens of thousands. That's a no brainier but I guess not to those that truly have, "no brains"!

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 102013

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

I have the same issue with the radiator fluid contaminating the transmission fluid. The radiator fluid has turned into a milky white color and my transmission is not shifting properly i.e. grinding and slipping. Just a matter of time before the transmission goes all together. I would definately never buy another Nissan again, and would definatley use social media to call out Nissan, unless they do whats right and fix the problem they have created.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada