Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Sep 092013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while attempting to shift into reverse, the vehicle failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was advised that the radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. As a result, the radiator and the power transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 106,000. The VIN was not available.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Aug 302013

My 2006 Nissan Frontier SE crew cab check engine light came on at about 100,000 miles. I read the code and it indicated that an emission problem (I.e. a sensor or catalytic issue) was the matter. Soon after the truck began to exhibit a strange vibration in what appeared to be the engine specifically around 40-45 mph. I brought the truck in at 101,000 miles to have it serviced at the dealership. They determined that not only did the catalytic converter need replacing but also there was radiator fluid in the transmission and the bill was over $6,000. I declined the service and immediately called Nissan North America. They explained that I was 1000 miles over the extended warranty and wished me to have a nice labor day weekend.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Aug 212013

Frontier 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and notice smoke coming from near (it turns out it was coming from underneath) about few seconds later the check engine light is flashing, my Nissan pickup engine lost some speed and it appears to have lost power as well because it was not accelerating. I took it for inspection to 2 different auto shops locally and have gotten the same reports from both shops.I have a bad transmission and radiator coolant leaks seems to have caused the transmission failure. I have taken my pickup to Nissan after learning about the extended warranty to roseville future Nissan and they seems have agreed about this known issue. They said Nissan has extended the warranty up to 100K miles (so technical it should be covered), however they are asking for 3000K for deductible. I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said they are waiting for court to decide on this known issue and will not be able to help until it's resolved. I did some research online and found out I was not the only one having this issue. Please help and advise if I need to take action against Nissan as this is clearly a known issue and they should not be asking for 3K.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Aug 192013

I got a check engine light on my Nissan Frontier and brought it to the Nissan dealership to have checked and was told I would need to replace the entire transmission and radiator because engine coolant has leaked into the transmission and is destroying the transmission a quick search it seems there are hundreds if not more of people with this same issue of Nissan having a poor design and putting many people at risk by having their transmissions seize up at any given time while driving. Having coolant leak into the transmission is not a normal wear and tear issue and is gross negligence on behalf of Nissan to ignore this problem.

- Toano, VA, USA

Aug 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 crew cab with 143396 miles and going about 40-45 miles per hrs I hear a chatter in the rear of the truck. Made an appointment with a Nissan dealer in my area and the out come was.. the truck needs a transmission and radiator replacement and it is out of warranty the replacement at the dealer would be a cost to me of $5132.13. Nissan had a class action suite in New York and the only win for us consumers was that they extended the mileage to 100,000. I called Nissan and was informed that if I had 120,000 miles on the truck that there would be a cover under the warranty. Nissan knows that there is a issue with tranny and radiator but they did no recalls so now we are stuck. If you are on a fixed income who has over $5000 dollars laying a round for this kind of repair. I can still drive the truck but its not safe if the tranny shuts down on the hwy then what ? looks like a accident waiting to happen. Cant have that. So the truck will sit in my yard till I get some answers that will help me get this issue solved.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Aug 032013

Frontier 6-cyl

As I began to enter the highway and increase speed to about 65 mph, I noticed what felt to be a slip in gears. Each time I decreased by speed and increased over 50 mph, I could feel the same type of slip. Although I drive my vehicle daily, it is usually for very short distances, as I am in town driving. I have only noticed this slip of gears while on the interstate. Today I took my vehicle to the Nissan dealership for diagnosis. I was informed that I was no longer under warranty and would have a $2500 deductible for the replacement of the radiator & transmission. My vehicle is properly maintained at recommended intervals, with low mileage. I came home to do some research and learned about the reported radiator/transmission problems for some 2005-2010 Nissan truck and SUV models. I do not remember ever receiving any information from Nissan regarding the potential transmission failure for my make and model and I am disappointed to know that a recall was not issued, as this is a serious safety issue. The service manager also did not mention any of this to me. The only thing that clued me in to an issue was that he mentioned "deductible" and that I was just about 3,000 miles over the warranty. Knowing that a power-train warranty is usually 36/36000, I started thinking, how could I only be 3,000 miles outside of the warranty? Nissan should be held accountable as numerous reports have been made. Extending a warranty to 8/80,000 is also a joke, since most of the reported issues, have not occurred until after 80,000, as in my case. I should not be stuck with this maintenance bill; this is Nissan's responsibility. Sometimes doing the right thing as opposed to doing the most profitable is in order. Too bad Nissan does not care enough to keep their customers satisfied, but most importantly, safe!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jul 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

I had driven aprox 20 miles on interstate when I noticed when truck shifted between 4th and overdrive the motor was racing. I turned off cruise control and turned of the overdrive with the trailer switch. I stopped at station checked fluids but everything seemed ok. When leaving station the transmission was slipping when shifting. I was able to drive it home. Next day transmission shop told me transmission would need to be rebuilt. After google info I told shop to also replace radiator also. I got the truck back 2 weeks later. After 5 days of driving while traveling home from job. Transmission locked up and truck came to stop in middle of road. I looked under hood and found oil in radiator. The truck was towed back to shop. Come to find out the shop had replaced with used radiator. The same thing had happened again where antifreeze mixed with transmission oil causing extensive damage, still in shop and waiting on its return. Spent 12000 on truck and in first month. 400 miles and 3000 in repairs. And still climbing.

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Jul 022012

Frontier 6-cyl

Transmission cooler failed causing coolant to mix with transmission fluid. Transmission subsequently failed. Nissan would not cover the repair even though the problem is a known defect. ~$4000 cost of repair and an independent transmission shop.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Jul 122013

Frontier 6-cyl

Had a bad vibration in the drive line at a low speed. Thought it might be a U-joint. Began a search on line and found an article on the Frontier's anti-freeze mixing with the transmission fluid and coolant entering the transmission causing failure. I checked the overflow tank and it had trans fluid on top of the coolant and the radiator had a red foam coming out. Took it to the Nissan dealer and it was confirmed.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jul 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

Whilst trying to drive forward, the vehicle is unable to have enough momentum to drive- in other words the transmission is not functioning correctly. According to the mechanic I brought it to, I was advised that he has seen this happen with this make/model/year before and it is caused due to an issue with the radiator leaking anti-freeze into the transmission system.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Jul 022013

Frontier 6-cyl

Radiator fluid leaked into transmission due to faulty manufacturing causing transmission to break and be chile to stall.

- Highland , NY, USA

Mar 312009

Frontier 6-cyl

Service engine soon light came on and vehicle drove sluggish. Had no power. Felt like it was in low gear. Happened all of a sudden. No prior indication of trouble. All fluid levels and maintenance was properly maintained at the appropriate mileage intervals.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

May 172013

Frontier 6-cyl

The transmission stopped and my vehicle would not go faster than 2 mph. I could not get it uphill. I had to have it towed. It was constantly jumping forward prior to this incident. On the highway it felt like it couldn't get out of gear.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 282013

I was driving on a major highway when all of a sudden the automatic transmission downshifted into second gear. The Frontier immediately slowed down. I was driving in front of a tractor trailer and just missed getting rear ended. I've since found out that Nissan has been aware of the radiator leaking and cross contaminating with the transmission fluid and blowing out the transmission. This is a dangerous situation with these vehicles involved and Nissan should be responsible for correcting their defect regardless of vehicle mileage. This vehicle needs to be recalled and fixed.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Mar 272013

While driving at 40-45 mph I would get a very loud harsh vibration that felt similar to driving over one of the warning strips on side of highways warning you you're going off road. It also eventual would barely move from a stop at a traffic light. Took it to local transmission repair shop that informed me the coolant from radiator leaked into trans causing the failure. Looks like I'm getting a new trans and radiator. Nissan needs to recall and reimburse all these ppl spending thousands on what is obviously a factory defect. I see complaint after complaint of the exact problem I am having. Thanks a good luck to everyone. Hopefully Nissan does the right thing.

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA

May 202013

Frontier 6-cyl

I bought a used 2006 Frontier 2 years ago and only put 20,000 miles on it and now the coolant is mixing with the transmission fluid and they want to pay 2500 dollars to help fix it. And this bull crap. Nissan needs to man up and stand behind there vehicles. Dissatisfied customers can spread the word. Never buy a Nissan.

- Fort Valley, GA, USA

Oct 152012

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic stop, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the transmission would have to be replaced because radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Coolant has entered transmission fluid, this can cause the vehicle to become immobile in traffic, intersections, etc.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

May 072013

Frontier 6-cyl

Hello, I have a 2006 Frontier on it's way to the dealership right now having the radiator & transmission replaced. That is caused from the coolant mixing with the transmission. I don't know how Nissan can say this isn't a safety issue when your vehicle can stop in the middle of highway traffic due to your transmission dying. Recall needed! thank you!

- Willmar, MN, USA

Apr 242013

Frontier 6-cyl

Last time I changed my oil about a month ago, they were confused at why I had oil in my radiator. They said it was not a good sign! yesterday when I was driving to work, my truck had no power and it eventually stopped moving in the road. The truck was running, but would not engage in a gear and move forward. I had it taken to a local shop to look it over and after a test drive and looking at the transmission and radiator fluids, they said I had a cross contamination of the two systems and it caused the problem. They called the Nissan dealer and they said this is a common problem and they have a law suit I can join to get reimbursed for the expense of replacing the cvt. (continuously variable transmission) it will cost about $4,200. I looked online and it looks like Nissan also has at cvt replacement program. I wish I would have known about this so I could have had it replaced and not put in danger.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA