Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Mar 012010

Have a 2006 Nissan Frontier which has a defective fuel level indicator. This caused me to fail NJ state inspection. Nissan has a recall on 2006 Nissan Frontier fuel sensors. Apparently even though I have this problem, they are unwilling to repair due to VIN #. I never know how much fuel is in my car.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Mar 262010

Nissan Frontier 2006 fuel guage no longer working. Service engine soon light came on. Took vehicle to dealer. Vehicle has 50K miles on it. Dealer told me that this was not a recall, and since the truck is no longer under warranty, this would cost me $450 out of pocket. From reading posts on the web, I see that this is a very common problem with Nissan from 2005-2007. I have no way of being sure I have sufficient fuel, which would seem, to me, to be a safety issue. What if I am caught in inclement weather with no fuel? I was told there was no danger in driving the vehicle is*...... and am trying to find out why this would not be a recall issue if so many vehicles were affected by the same thing.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Mar 052010

Nissan 2006 Frontier SE crew cab. Check engine light comes on; and check has a "P0463" code. Gas gauge does not give accurate fuel level. Occurs all the time. Sometimes the check engine light goes out, but will light up especially if near empty or after filling up. No correction; except to spend $800 at Nissan dealer to replace part of the fuel tank assembly.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Year, make and model: 2006 Nissan Frontier error: Erratic fuel gauge reading. Show 1/4 tank even when empty or totally empty when it was just filled. Action taken: Spoke with Nissan on the symptoms and the error code received from diagnostics (P0463) which states that it is the fuel level sending unit, but they informed me that my VIN is not on the list, and I would need to file a complaint form on NHTSA to get resolved.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 202009

Fuel gauge on 2006 Nissan Frontier does not always work, leading you to believe you have more or less fuel than actually in the tank. My truck is not included in the recall announced on March 2, 2010, yet has the same problem. I've spent $250 to have this repaired and feel I should be compensated.

- Cortez, CO, USA

Feb 152010

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving down the road the truck shudders and shakes and cannot shift into gear. I had no pick up while driving on the interstate and had cars speeding by me at 75mph while I was barely able to drive the truck. The truck would drive fine and than this would happen out of nowhere. I took it to aamco and found out I had water in the transmission due to a leak in the radiator. I had to pay $2500 to have my transmission rebuilt and a new radiator installed. I feel this should be a recall on Nissan part because it was a faulty radiator that caused the problem and could have caused a severe accident. I have heard of alot of complaints regarding this same problem but Nissan refuses to due a recall. I have the same fuel gauge problem that was just recalled and I ran out of gas because of it. I feel that this needs to be investigated before someone is killed in an accident because their transmission just stops working while driving on the interstate.

- Clover, SC, USA

Nov 012008

2006 Nissan Frontier fuel gauge erratic indicating empty when below 1/2 tank full. Suspect float or sensor in fuel system.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Jan 232010

06 Nissan Frontier fuel sending unit failed, 460,000 miles. The gas gauge shows 1/4 full when I just put in a full tank of gas. It should show a full tank of gas, but it doesn't it just shows a 1/4 tank full. This is a known problem that Nissan should take care of. I'm surely not the only person too complain about this problem. What does it take to get a recall on this problem?

- Essex, MD, USA

Apr 282009

06 Frontier fuel sending unit gone haywire. Gas gauge not working properly. Have seen hundreds of the complaints w/same problem. Nissan doesn't seem to worried about the problem, seeing there is no recall. Sure hope me or my family is not stuck in a vulnerable situation because of it. I'm hearing that its a short in the wiring of the unit inside the fuel tank that doesn't sound to good to me. Vehicle is out of warranty.

- Columbia, NC, USA

Aug 012009

2006 Nissan Frontier. Problem with service engine soon(ses) light, Napa diagnosed issue with a faulty fuel sending unit. This issue did initiate a recall on 2005 Nissan vehicles (systemic to all), but not for later models (like mine). Cost of repair: $400 or more at a dealership, at least $250 non-dealership. Not covered under warranty if over 30K miles. Problem typically occurs after 2-3 years of vehicle ownership.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Jan 062010

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier, my gas gauge and vehicle computer that reads the gas level is not working. It left my new born baby boy and wife on the side of I-95 in port orange Florida because it showed gas in the tank when there was none. Upon doing research I found this is a problem that occurs in many Nissan model spread out around the year of our truck. I feel that this is a problem that needs to be taken care of by the dealer though a recall on the fuel sending unit. This is not an isolated problem but one that reaches many Nissan owners. Thank you

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 262009

Fuel tank gauge becomes erratic, no way to determine amount of fuel in tank. Common problem with this vehicle no recall issued but Nissan has issued a tech service bulletin tsb: Ntb07069.

- Easton, PA, USA

Oct 012009

The fuel sending unit on my 2006 Nissan Frontier le is not working properly. When I fill up my truck the fuel gauge falls below empty and the light goes on. At times it says that I have more gas than I really do. It has been brought to my attention that Nissan is selling all their trucks and SUV's with faulty systems. I replaced the fuel cap in hopes that would help.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Dec 032009

I am an owner of 2006 Nissan Frontier crewcab SE. Since day one at random while filling the fuel tank it pukes gas out onto side of truck, ground and me. The dealership where I purchased my truck were jerks, said it was the pump design at the station. Just dismissed me, "try another station." I have since talked to other owners having the same problem. This a health, safety, and environmental hazard.

- Southport, FL, USA

Nov 022009

Fuel gauge malfunctions when gas tank is full. When the tank is fully filled, the gauge indicates empty and the gas light remains on. Other times the gauge reads at different levels, mostly half full or one quarter tank.

- Mesa , AZ, USA

Nov 182009

Drove home from work with 1/4 of tank... went to fill it all the way full.... started engine, service engine check light turned on... and noticed the tank is not registering its full... started driving... after a mile fuel gauge drops to empty and low fuel light turned on... went home and did some research... and im surprised its not just me that have this same problem.... we need to do a recall for this.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Fuel gauge on my 2006 Nissan Frontier quit working. I see I'm not the only one by far to have this problem.

- Dushore, PA, USA

Aug 102009

"I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier. I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and went to fill up. After filling up my gas tank, I turned on the car, at which point the needle did not register the full tank. After driving a couple miles, the check engine light came on. I went directly to the dealer and was told that it was a fuel sending unit/sensor and that it was no longer covered after 41K miles. After returning home and doing research, I went online to after performing a search, I came across many others who have experienced the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the fuel sending unit. A similar problem was found on the 2000-2004 xterra models and a recall was performed when the vehicle would stop after not getting any fuel, posing a great danger. It seems that something in the unit is faulty and will corrode over time. There is a general consensus that everyone who is having the problem is experiencing the same thing after having the vehicle for over 2 yrs and with around 39K-49K. If this problem existed in previous models, and it was recalled, the 2005-2007 xterras, Frontiers, and pathfinders should get this fixed at no charge to the customer!! why wait for accidents and possible deaths, especially since the problem lies in an integral part of the vehicle. Cost of repair ranges from $300-600."

- Temecula, CA, USA

Feb 142009

2006 Nissan Frontier 40,000 mi. Gas gauge not working service engine soon light stays on.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Sep 182009

Defect on level sensor of the fuel tank, caused the check engine light to come on, and the fuel meter to malfunction. This defect could lead to run out of gas at any time putting any passenger in danger while in the highway. This is a very common problem with Nissan path finder, Frontiers and many others especially 2005 to 2007 models. Nissan dealers are charging about $600 dollars to fix something that they do defective and continue to do defectively.

- Dallas, TX, USA