2003 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Murano:

2003 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 012011

Murano

When you come to a complete stop and then press the accelerator down the car does not move initially. If you hold the accelerator down after a few seconds the car will start to move. This has happened 4 times in the last 8 months after driving the car for about 20 mins. I have called Nissan dealership in warner robins, ga but no assistance because the warranty ran out...I just purchased this vehicle Jan 2011, they had to put in a brand new transmission a week after I purchased it but I was told months later the warranty ran out so I would have to pay for diagnostic check and this particular Murano was not under the recall for cvt. I find that hard to believe because all the posts I've read regarding this exact same problem received some form of mail regarding a recall of some sort. Today 3/25/12 my car hesitates to start.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Aug 292011

Murano

As I am driving, our vehicle will auto brake, bow up and lose acceleration causing traffic following behind me to either brake or get into the other lane to keep from hitting me. This happens at low levels of speed and at high levels of speed. This will also happen should I be trying to cross traffic as well. I am in fear for the safety of my family and kids as well as the safety of other drivers on the road for they may not be able to get stopped in time. This is a major safety issue which will or could be the cause of 1 or more fatalities.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Apr 142011

Murano 6-cyl

The Murano seat frames are known to have a weak spot where the weld will break -causing your drivers seat to rock back and forth - or lean badly to one side. This cause sometime an unintentional sudden move which cause changing the steering wheel direction. That might cause an accident in some cases. Another major problem. Is the car get into sudden power loss after a while of driving after making a full stop. For example on traffic light or stop sign. It will take very very slow taking off and then will get the power back after few seconds. This delay may cause an accident in example of making left turn on a traffic intersection. You will not have any power to move the car for about 2-4 seconds. Thanks

- Glendora, CA, USA

Sep 152011

Murano 6-cyl

Second owner, purchased with 63000 miles. First occurrence was driving on the highway a short distance (45min) started to notice the speed pulsing on flat stretches of road with the cruise control being set at 60 mph. I would manually take over the gas pedal just to have to constantly give it more gas then less gas to maintain 60 on flat ground. To the point of nailing it to maintain 60 then out of no where it would start to go accelerate suddenly up and I would let off the gas to stay @ 60mph and hold the pedal there for about 20 secs just to lose power on flat ground again and would just repeat over and over. When I got off the exit ramp it was sputtering really bad and had a hard time just getting it home w/O hurting myself or others. Next day nothing. Then over time (1 month) it happened 4 other times but is seeming to get worse. Then today I stopped in town at a red light. When it came time to go the care jus sat there and the RPM gauge moved up but the car didn't move forward. I immediately put on hazards, put car in park, shut it off, then restarted it to luckily be able to pull off. Went on highway home going 60mph and the surging back and forth with power to weakness to sudden power was the worst its ever been. Car isn't under warranty due to being 2nd owner but come on Nissan really? I'm a student/new father and the $ is crunched like most families now in this economy. I bought a Nissan B/C its reputation of quality and endurance/resilience. I would be sick if this injured my baby B/C this car wasn't in the "original recall range". it is very dangerous and could lead to both my tires locking up on the highway going 60 or even faster leaving not only us in jeopardy but everyone around me on the road also.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Oct 062011

Murano 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at 50mph and all of a sudden Murano lost acceleration, gas pedal wasn't working at all. Some how I pulled over and turn ignition off and back on and it worked fine. Now when is a stop and go situation it does the same thing won't accelerate until like 5 seconds later and in a very dangerous way. I heard lots of people having the same problems and it's life treating situation.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 262007

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact was driving 65 mph when the vehicle decelerated abnormally. While at a traffic stop, the vehicle would lunge forward without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who ran a diagnostic test but they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Sep 242008

Murano

When the car first started acting up I was on the interstate on my way to work. It all of a sudded started stalling. I had to press the driving peddal all the way down and then it would take off with a very hard jolt. This would happen off and on especially if I was in stop and go traffic or came to a stop sign or stop light. The car would stall before taking off. I took it to the delearship and they kept it for three days and said they could find nothing. This is when the transmission was under warranty up to 120,000 miles. They said the car would have to do it while in ther shop or they could do nothing. I just found it so hard to believe that the car showed no signes of doing anything that I described while they had it and drove it for three days. Well of course I got the car back and it was still doing the same thing. I took it back to them and they told me that it was the transmission and the repair on it alone was going to cost me $3600 all by itself. The car was doing the very same thing when I took it in to them the first time but surprisingly after the warranty was off they all of a sudden found the problem. Somebody really needs to look into all of these complaints and get these situations under warranty so that these cars can be fixed properly. Its not fair to take the car to the dealership about a problem that could have been fixed under warranty to take it back to them for the exact same thing and they tell you that the repair is no longer under warranty and you now have to pay for it.

- Pinson, AL, USA

May 122009

Murano

Had had this vehicle little less than a month when noticed having accelaration hesitation problem once you slow down or stop to make turns or at traffic lights. Never involved in a collision but have had too many close calls especially when trying to make a left turn against on-coming traffic or with a car behind me; car just wont go and when it does, it is fast enough to knock your head off. Took it back to Nissan dealerships multiple times over the next couple of years without a resolution; they say they cant find anything wrong. Did everything they asked including using a high grade gas consistently and still having problems to this day when the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 282011

Murano

First incident: "slip", "vdc off", and "service engine soon" lights all came on simultaneously as car jerked/hesitated in hov lane of westbound I-66. Car remained running with "slip", "vdc off", and "service engine soon" lights remaining on the rest of the trip home. Second incident (01/30/2011): "service engine soon" light already on. As stop light turned green and began to accelerate from complete stop, "slip" and "vdc off" lights came on and car stalled in the road way. Was able to restart car with some difficulty in middle of the road and continued on. Third incident: "service engine soon" light already on. Car stalled turning into owner driveway, with "slip" and "vdc off" lights coming on. Was able to restart car with some difficulty and pull into driveway. Nissan dealer service department found code P0340: "B1 cam sensor failure". fp-number: 23731-69J0B. Sensor assembly replaced 02/03/2011. 2nd code P1564: "replace cruise control"

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jan 012010

Murano 6-cyl

My 2003 Nissan Murano when in stop and go traffic does not accelerate when given gas. You can hold the peddle to the floor and the car rolls forward for a couple of seconds and then kicks in. It is extremely dangerous when trying to turn or crossing a street. I have been dealing with the problem for about a year and Nissan keeps telling me different things. It seems to be a big problem from posts I have found on the internet with the same exact symptoms.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jun 252010

Murano

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that when she engaged the gas pedal it didnt respond and within a few minutes it lunged forward. The dealer or the manufacturer were not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 102,000.

- Ava , MO, USA

Feb 282008

Murano

I own an '03 Nissan Murano. Since 114K miles, I have experienced stalling following idle. The problem usually occurs when the vehicle is very warm (not overheating). After sitting idle for a few minutes (I.e. at a redlight or stop and go traffic) when I press the accelerator, nothing happens for a few seconds. The RPM's do not indicate any change. And then all of a sudden, the vehicle "realizes" I am pressing the accelerator and takes off at excessive speed/rpms. The problem has put me in very dangerous situations such as when I am trying to make a left hand turn across traffic and suddenly stalls. Or like the first time I experienced the failure, I was trying to pull onto a major highway. By the time my vehicle decided to go, another vehicle was approaching in the lane I was trying to turn onto and I had to slam on my brakes to avoid pulling out in front of the oncoming vehicle and causing a wreck. Several vehicles were behind me waiting to get onto the same highway and were very aggravated I was holding up traffic since my vehicle was stalling. The problems occurs as regularly as I sit idle in traffic or get into a congested traffic area. Every single time. After reading hundreds of early year Murano owners are having the same problem, I feel Nissan should recognize this as a defect and take responsibility for this costly danger. I have read that many have had to replace the entire cvt transmission and that Nissan is often misdiagnosing the problem. A code reader indicated my tps sensor was bad. I changed it with barely any noticeable changes. Later a dealer's code reader said I should replace the Cadillac converter. After that pricey repair, I still have the same problem. Extremely dangerous.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Aug 252009

Murano

While gas pedal applied car stopped going--engine was still running--pulled to side of freeway--still in drive -car would just idle when gas pedal applied--put in park turned off-restarted car put in drive and gas pedal worked-took to dealer-said come back if happens again.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Sep 082009

Murano

After about 20 minutes driving I get a lagging issue where I step on the gas pedal after a complete stop and nothing happens, then all of sudden after 5 seconds the car accelerates dangerously! my wife drives this car and she's driving with our baby. IżM afraid that one day this problem will happen, and she would accelerate after the lagging issue only to hit someone in front of her and cause a major accident. IżM also afraid when she tries to make a left turn during the lag someone might hit her causing an accident. This manufacture need to recognize this is a safety issue, and they need to have a safety recall on these vehicles.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 072009

Murano

2003 Nissan Murano (2 wd) hesitates with no response to the throttle at low speed. For example, when accelerating from a stop sign or in traffic. After about 3 or 4 seconds, the car lurches violently forward. Problem has been consistent for the past year. Causes difficult and unsafe driving condition in good or bad weather (wheels will spin violently when there is snow on the road as the car finally responds to the throttle input after 3 or 4 seconds). Finally had enough after driving in bumper to bumper traffic in nyc yesterday and almost rear-ending the truck in front of me several times!

- Riegelsville, PA, USA

Oct 072007

Murano

After driving the car for about 30 min or so every time I step on the accelerator pedal the car is delayed in moving. In addition every time I drive the car I lose power. The check engine light comes on and the car slows to a crawl and stops. I will then have to coast the car off to the side of the road. Wait a few min and then restart. This is very scary every time I try to make left hand turns. Other times I am driving it just will not move for a long 5 to 8 sec delay. Cars coming at me in at any speed have almost hit me. There were no warnings prior the stalling. This happens every single time I drive the car. I read there was a NHTSA recall# 03V455000. The throttle body 3 times, transmission 2 times. Motor mounts and a host of other parts. Let's see oh yeah the tcm twice. Valve body replaced. Miles at 105,000. I have spent over $900 plus. The dealership I bought it from won't take it back. At this point I just want out of this car. Could anyone help me?

- Encino, CA, USA

Apr 182007

Murano

During acceleration the vehicle will stall and the motor will rev to around 3 to 4000 RPM. Then instantly grab and jump down the road. It does this every few weeks for a extended amount of time... recently took a 100 mile trip, half way through the trip the problem started and continued for the remainder of the trip. On the way back the same day it no longer had the problem.

- Defiance, MO, USA

Aug 112008

Murano

The problem im having with my 2003 Nissan Murano is when ever im in stop and go traffic, I'll step on the gas and the Murano goes nowhere, the rpms don't go up either and about after about 10 seconds the vehicle will jerk forward violently. This is very dangerous because you run the risk of smashing the car in front of you. No one can tell me what the problem is. Please help.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Aug 022007

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Murano. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle loses power. The vehicle is able to be restarted after approximately 5-10 seconds. The contact stated that the vehicle occasionally accelerates on its own, without even depressing the accelerator pedal. The dealer stated that a valve body needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 65,000.

- Alum Creek, WV, USA

Mar 032006

Murano

Intermittent acceleration delay of 3-5 seconds from a stop. Once the accelerator is depressed and nothing happens after the delay comes a surge of speed. No codes are thrown and dealer cannot recreate problem. Serious safety hazard, especially when turning left or at an intersection! this has happened intermittently since I got the car at 30000 miles. I can turn off the car and it sometimes "resets" the problem. Consumer bulletin boards report this to be a tps failure that can be found in all years of the Murano production.

- Austin, TX, USA