1.9

2005 Nissan Murano drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Murano:

2005 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222016

Murano

Transmission failure. $173K miles. Will cost $4K to replace. All transmission fluids in good order and good levels. Large nocking on the case, dealer says could go out any moment. Unable to drive due to safety issues. Ridiculous and unsafe. A transmission should not go out like this.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Aug 202016

Murano

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle slowed down and the brake and battery indicators illuminated. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 34,000.

- Boston, MA, USA

Apr 092016

Murano

Just bought the vehicle in January of 2016 thinking it would be a good used car. I was wrong it has 155,000 miles on it. Today I was driving home from work was stop at stoplight went to take off and it stalled and the check engine light came on, I was able to finally move it form the road and it wouldn't go above 5 mph, so I turned it off then back on it started to drive fine I didn't take any chances had it towed to a friends repair shop were checked the codes and it was all for the transmission. This could have caused a huge wreck as the road I was on is extremely busy. This very unsafe for Nissan not to do anything about.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Aug 072015

Murano

Driving down hwy and car started jumping, whinning and then car locked up.I was able to pull over on side of hwy.I smelled smoke and got out.called wrecker.they towed to shop.. I now have a car payment but no car.estimate for repair $4,000 for new transmission.

- Proctor, AR, USA

Jul 062015

Murano

This complaint relates to a closed recall for the 2005 Nissan Murano NHTSA campaign id number: 05V3190. Two months with the vehicle and I had transmission problems, where the vehicle lost power and drive-ability, bringing my passengers and myself to a harms way. I contracted aamco to replace the transmission, one month later, Nissan usa had to provide another transmission to replace the one changed one month before. Last Monday, July 06, 2015, while driving on the New Jersey garden state parkway, the vehicle presented serious trouble, when the emergency brake, AWD and ABS warning lights came on, as the vehicle lost speed, transmission disengaged, putting my wife, myself and other vehicles around us in serious risk of accident. I managed to pull the vehicle to the shoulder and later to a near by friend`S house in the galloway area. After contacting Nissan usa regarding the transmission, they told me to contact aamco, since they installed the new transmission. Aamco checked the vehicle and found out that, the problem was caused by the alternator that heated up, dropped voltage to 12V DC and caused the safe mode to engage, by making the vehicle unsafe on the middle of the highway. Nissan usa claims that this NHTSA campaign has been closed, when it is to my believe that, it should be re-opened and not only me, but also many other Nissan Murano owners, that still confront such factory defective issues to have this issue resolved. I was lucky to be able to act fast enough and bring my vehicle to safes way, would all others be so lucky?

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Apr 282015

Murano

On 4/28/2005 I was driving my vehicle and it wouldn't get up past 10 mph. I looked up online at Nissan.com and found out there may be a warranty program for cvt. I brought it in, and they verified it and replaced it. 3 days later my cvt started to give me similar issues again. So I brought it back and they told me they may re work on it. Now I get it back and ride the car for another 2 days and now I hear a loud clicking noise. Now I had to get it towed back to kings Nissan in brooklyn NY. This time they tell me it was a messed up tcu computer on the replaced cvt, and now a transfer case. Upon further review online. It seems like there are tons of people like my self going through this issue and Nissan wont take ownership of it.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 242013

Murano 6-cyl

The dealer identified the transfer case part of the AWD transmission is leaking. My Murano is on it's 3rd transmission (replaced around 25K and again around 106K), and this possibly was related to the transmission replacement. I realize this is not an emergency/safety issue, but it has been recommended that I report this defect here in an attempt to force Nissan to issue a recall since so many Murano owners have experienced the same expensive failures.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 172014

Murano 6-cyl

Transmission suddenly seized and vehicle would not move, even when being pushed in neutral. Luckily it was in my parking lot but if this had happened in traffic or on the highway it could have been a dangerous and potentially deadly situation.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 222014

Murano 6-cyl

The driver side trans-axle slid out of it's locked position in the transmission. The axle seal/gasket was replaces 3months prior on the driverside. Up on disassembly, the dealership master transmission mechanic was baffled as to how this could have happened as he puts it "ypu would need a great force to pull it out once it was in locked position. All of the components were examined and seem to be all in good condition as far as wear on the threads ans well as the locking clip. It was concluded that this was a failure of product design and not the fault of improper installation and this failure could have let to a catastrophic failure at high speeds and may have resulted in severe accident.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Murano

My 2005 Nissan Murano began exhibiting a strong burning oil smell approximately August 2013 and I took it to my mechanic. They said a seal in the front transfer case was bad and replaced it for a tune of $1800. In Aug 2014 it began doing it again and much stronger. They replaced the seal again at no charge to me but then I took it back 2 weeks later for them to inspect the repair. The transfer case was cracked all along but they were unable to see it because of the amount of oil that had been leaking all over the underside of the case. I had to have the transfer case replaced in September to a tune of $3488+. I found out this has been happening to Muranos from 2003 to 2012 and am very unhappy that Nissan has not made this a recall on their cvt transfer cases. Obviously the mold of the case is flawed with this happening to so many years of Murano's and I am not even sure the new transfer case I received is going to be any better since I find evidence that owners of as late as 2012 Murano's are having the same problem. This needs to be resolved by Nissan and made right with the many owner's that have had to spend thousands to replace their faulty transfer cases.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 122014

Murano 6-cyl

Backing out of the driveway heard clunking and grinding noises. Towed it to Nissan and they state that I have a cracked transfer case, which with all parts and labor is costing us $5470. It seems to be a common occurrence with these models and years. Why hasn't Nissan stepped up and issued a recall or extended program as with the cvt transmission??

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Jul 222014

Murano 6-cyl

The transmission just gave up, dragging at 25 miles per hour.

- Westchester, IL, USA

Jul 252014

Murano 6-cyl

The fatigue crack occurred at the transfer case. As an engineer, I suspect that the continuous variable transmission (cvt) problems in the Murano caused the failure at the transfer case. More than likely, the manufacturer did not do proper fatigue testing or "turned an eye" at the problem. I believe that they are aware of the problems, as they have taken steps to extend the warranty in the cvt, yet refuse to recall other components directly associated with the cvt. This seems to be a very common issue among many Nissan owners as I have read. Anyhow, a failure in the transfer case is a extremely dangerous situation. The transmission could lock up and cause an accident that may result in injuries or deaths.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Nov 252013

Murano 6-cyl

Car developed load rumbling in the front end. Progressively getting louder. Car then began to sure and or loose power at random intervals.. as so many others have stated cvt failing. Learned about this problem after the fact. Was amazed to see how many people had filed complaints without any response or help from Nissan. No recall no help getting car credit, as it is valueless in trade at dealer. Fortunate that mine seemed to last longer than most. Cost 4 to 6 thousand to fix... more than car is worth at this point. Left with no way getting rid of it or getting new vehicle. Car that I thought would have good trade in value absolutely no one wants to touch. Been offered 1000 max for it at several different dealers. Shocked that a company size of Nissan would not work with there customers... at least offering reasonable compensation for current value of vehicle. Im sure Nissan will never be considered in my car buying decisions again. Problem has potential to be deadly for everyone in vehicle as the car looses power or surges without warning. I am sure they will be sued shortly when an entire family looses there life because Nissan refuses to acknowledge the problem.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Jan 012013

Murano 6-cyl

I started hearing a rattle when under acceleration and could never find the culprit. It started jingling like change in someone pocket so I looked again and notice a piece of the idler pulley bracket going in circles around the adjustment screw. I looked up online only to yet another under designed part by Nissan. This part failing can cause serious damage and even wrecks if not fixed immediately.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Jun 072012

Murano 6-cyl

My car just stopped working in the middle of the traffic and would not go forward or backward. I got it towed to good year - my car had catastrophic transmission failure. Was diagnosed at Goodyear and they called Nissan to see about the parts and found out that it was covered by manufacture warranty - so I had it towed on a flat bed truck to Nissan in denver. Goodyear had drained the fluids to take it apart during diagnosis and sent the parts and the car on the tow truck to the go Nissan shop. They found a number of other problems with the car at the Nissan shop which they said were not covered - such as- cam shaft sensors, drive belts, head gasket. I agreed to pay for those items and to get my transmission replaced for free under the warranty. They said it would take three to five days to get the transmission from the factory. I get a call today from go Nissan on June 19th about a week after they agreed to fix it and they now say that there seems to have been some purple fluid in the transmission and now they wont replace it or cover it in any way. That makes no sense to me because it was delivered there with no fluid in the transmission at all. They said, ya, well.. we saw some purple substance in the cup with the parts that were delivered and we will not cover it because of that contamination... im at my witts end here, they want $4000 for the transmission and another $2,500 for the rest of the work. I don't know what to do. I feel like they took advantage of me and are now trying to get out of the warranty. Thanks for your help.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Apr 062012

Murano 6-cyl

The vehicle does not go when you press the gas. It stalls extremely bad. It hasn't caused me a wreck --yet but it is going to happen. I have 2 young boys(age 6 &4) and I am scared for them to be in the car with me. I can not pull out in front of anyone because it takes so long for the acceleration to pick up. I like the looks of my Murano and I bought it saying"it is a Nissan so it will last" but I am starting to doubt that seriously!! this is my 2nd Nissan vehicle and if this part cant be recalled then it will be my last and I will spread the word. This cvt problem is a safety issue for so many owners yet Nissan refuses to do anything. I am very disappointed and hate to sell my Murano but that looks like what I will have to do and take a huge loss on it also because of the cvt needing replaced. Makes the car not worth the nada or blue book at all.!!!!

- Muscle Shoals , AL, USA

Feb 232012

Murano 6-cyl

At a speed of 40 mph the transmission started to make a terrible ticking noise and vibrated through the cabin of the vehicle. I have ruled out the possibility of C.V. joints as I ran the vehicle while being safely supported on a lift. The noise is echoing out of the cvt housing, all fluid levels are up.

- Medford, NJ, USA

Oct 192011

Murano 6-cyl

My transmission and engine began behaving erratically. The engine did not respond to the gas pedal immediately and seemed to work very hard to move the vehicle. The erratic behavior was then accompanied by what sounded like a plane landing then a loud bang. The behavior of the transmission caused the transfer case to fracture. (this was confirmed by my mechanic and again by the Nissan dealer service department). Nissan has recognized the transmission problems in a number of its models including the 2005 Murano. As a result, Nissan vehicles ranging in years from 2003-2010 equipped with a continuously variable transmission (cvt) have received a 10-year /120,000 mile cvt limited warranty extension. Unfortunately this extensionż only covers the transmission itself and not the parts around it. I am stuck paying the $3,400 to replace the transfer case or be forced to sell the car. Nissan is leaving the original cvt in my Murano and I will undoubtedly be in the shop paying out of pocket for another breakage that could be avoided by a recall. I raised this issue with Nissan corporate affairs and was promptly told that the transfer case was not covered under the extended cvt warranty and they will not be assisting financially. They did however offer me a $150 voucher off of the invoiced price of new Nissan vehicle. This response is laughable and very insulting. I am very interested in becoming involved in any legal actions that will hasten a recall so that others will not be burdened by this manufacturers defect and financially fleeced by Nissan corporation amidst an economic recession. According to my research on this problem with Nissan and the Murano in particular, I am not the first person to have and pay for this repair and I will most certainly not be the last.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 042011

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle exhibited an abnormal knocking from under the hood. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the transfer case would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 52,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 04/15/11 updated 1/13/2012

- White River Junction, VT, USA