2009 Nissan Murano brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 242016

We started experiencing problems with a very low brake pedal about 3 weeks ago. It was sporadic and would get better after pumping the brakes repeatedly but return after a few days. Went to one repair shop and they suggested new brakes pads and front rotors. We had this done and the brakes seemed fine for a few days but then returned to the low pedal. Went to another repair shop and they indicated that a new master cylinder was needed. Had this done yesterday and again the brakes seemed ok but went back to a low pedal while driving home. From what I've read in the other complaints listed, this is the same issue experienced by others and given the potential for a major accident and injuries, I can not understand why NHTSA has not required a recall. We have now spent over $1,200 for repairs that likely were not needed. I do not intend to pay for a new ABS controller. Nissan needs to take ownership of this problem and provide a fix at no cost.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jul 222016

On July 22, 2016 I left work and took the interstate home. I was in the fast lane traveling about 60 mph and had not been on the interstate long. I noticed that traffic was coming to a slow stop. I applied my brakes. At first it felt normal as if my brakes were okay, but then they went all the way to the floor. I was blessed that the traffic in the right hand lane was back far enough for me to get over. I kept trying to apply my brakes and they were on the floor. The car did slow down eventually. I was able to make it home by driving extremely slow and easing to a stop starting 30 yards from the vehicle in front of me. I had my Murano towed to a repair shop on Saturday morning and they kept it the entire next week. I was told that when they first got in the vehicle, the brakes went to the floor again when they tried to stop. However, after that first attempt the brakes started to work perfectly. They drove it the entire week to see if the malfunction would repeat itself but it never did. I picked my car up on Friday, July 29, 2016 with no assurance that the brakes would not go out again. Since the problem could not be isolated, no repairs were made. I continue to drive my car out of necessity for work but I am stressed not knowing if or when my brakes will fail again. I do have documentation from the repair shop but it is not online so I cannot load it.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 192016

My vehicle brakes goes all the way to the floor and I have to pump them to get the vehicle to stop. I notice online that a lot of customers are having the same problem with this year and vehicle model. I have read how they had to spend a lot of money on parts and labor because the mechanics couldn't figure out the problem, so they started during power of elimination. I don't have that kind of money to spend. I took it to a certified Nissan dealership and they told me I would have to replace the ABS first. Just to see if that was the problem, if it wasn't then they would try something else. My questions is with all these complaints about the same problem, why haven't this vehicle been recalled. The vehicle is safety hazard to drive and it's not fair to the customers that we have to spend all this money to try and trouble shoot the problem. I see there is a recall for the 2016 model and it sounds like it's the same problem that the 2009 model is having. I drove the vehicle in April 2016, , just to go around the corner to the grocery store and I couldn't stop the vehicle. I had to put the car on the curb because I was on a busy road, so I wouldn't run in back of this old lady. I called Nissan to about the problem and that's when I was referred to the Nissan dealership. Nissan said their certified mechanic would have to determine the problem to see if they would cover the cost or not, but like a mention earlier, the mechanics don't know and it's costing the customer a arm and leg just to trouble shoot the problem. I have taken this vehicle to 5 different places and no one could tell me the problem. I am requesting that some take a good look at the 2009 Nissan Murano brake system. Thank you for your time.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 062016

Brake pedal goes all the way down and vehicle does not stop. Has happened sporadically several time. Have to pump brakes to get them functioning again. Nissan dealer cannot find underlying cause; suggestion is to replace ABS control unit and see if that fixes things; no guarantee that will fix problem. Vehicle is only 7 years old, 68500 miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 022016

When I hit a pot hole or bump in the road my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and I may or may not have some braking. Takes a little time for pedal too become firm again. This has happened 4 times over the past year. No warning light comes on and it appears that there is a problem in the ABS system. From all complaints on line Nissan does not know what is causing brake failure. I am removing the ABS fuse so I will have dependable brakes until Nissan can determine what needs to be done besides replacing whole ABS system. Have 88,000 miles on car. This is a very dangerous situation since brakes appear most of time to be fine, cannot understand why there is no warning light or code when this occurs.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 082016

Car brake is spongy and would have to pressed to the floor before car stops. At the initial application of the brakes, the car ejects forward and then stops. There is very little pressure in the brake system.have taken the car to Nissan dealership for repair, from the dealership, it appears to be the ABS system. Doing online research, there appears to be a common trend of brake defects on this model

- Tracy, CA, USA

Mar 172016

Braking system on my 2009 Nissan Murano had 5 failures. Its an intermittent issue. The first issue happened while I was driving on a highway that dead end to another highway. I pressed the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. I ended up in the middle of the other highway. Luckily there was no traffic at the time. The brakes usually go back to normal after stopping vehicle and turning it back on again. On 3/17/16, the issue happened again and this time the brakes did not go back to normal. I was able to bring it to the Nissan dealer and they test drove it and they now understand what was happening to the brakes. On the first 4 issues, we brought it to the local Nissan dealer, but they could not reproduce the issue. The braking failures happened on city streets and highways. I think this should be a recall by Nissan. I've read many blogs on this issue and a lot of people are have this problem. For it to become a recall, do people have to lose their lives?

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Mar 012016

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The contact stated that the brake pedal was pumped several times and felt like a sponge. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the brake master cylinder failed and needed to be replaced. The brake master cylinder was replaced; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was diagnosed a second time and the contact was informed that the ABS accumulator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Destin, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Brakes go down to the floor and after a while they go back to normal this happens when driving but not all to time had the master cylinder changed and the problem still exist I was told from my local Nissan dealer that they have no information on this problem

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, it extended to the floorboard and the stopping distance increased. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the master cylinder failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact returned the vehicle to the dealer, but no failure was found. The dealer decided to replace the master cylinder a second time, but the failure recurred. The dealer then replaced the rotors, bled the brake line trouble shoot, and found that the ABS accumulator malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired. The contact informed the manufacturer who opened an investigation and case on the contact's behalf. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Reynolds Station, KY, USA

Feb 012016

When I was coming off of an expressway and came to a stop, I had to press my brake pedal all the way to the floor. It happened to me twice. Upon restarting my car, the problem went away. The dealership said there was a fault in the ABS system. This was impeding normal driving operations...the dealership wanted to charge me $2600 to repair it, although this is a faulty condition in the vehicles manufacturing (something I should not have to pay for). I've had to disable the ABS controller in the meantime.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 142015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. Updated 03/15/16

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Dec 212015

When driving the 2009 Nissan Murano the brake pedal began to lose any firmness and it would go all the way to the floor; the brakes barely worked enough for me to get home. My husband troubleshot the vehicle and there were no leaks, air in the system, or worn brake pads. He researched and found that if the ABS fuse is removed the brake pedal goes back to normal while driving, but there will be no anti-lock brakes once the fuse is removed. When the fuse was replaced the pedal kept the firmness; this is not a mechanical issue, but more like an electronic problem with the ABS.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Nov 252015

Brakes failed....driving at about 45 mph on hwy 90 in pass christian Ms. Coming up to a red light and applied brakes and the car slowed down to around 30 mph and then brake pedal went to the floor. Tried pumping the brake pedal but no respose from the brakes. We ran into a car stopped at the red light.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Nov 282015

On 2 occasions the break pedal went to the floor while applying the breaks while driving the vehicle in traffic while on the city street. I was able to pump the breaks and stop the vehicle but the breaking ability was greatly reduced.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Oct 052015

I was braking at a stop light when I hit a pot hole and the brake pedal went almost to the floor, I was able to pump them up enough to get home. I don't have any leaks at cylinders and my pads are new and my fluid level is ok I am an aircraft mechanic and understand how ABS systems work the next day the brakes were still loosing pressure so I took a rubber mallet and tapped on the ABS valve while my friend applied pressure to the brake pedal, the problem immediately went away. It looks like the ABS anti skid valve is internally bypassing fluid I called my Nissan service center and they said there are no recalls on the ABS anti skid module

- Quinlan, TX, USA

Oct 162015

The pressure when applying brakes goes out and requires you to press brake pedal all the way to the floor, not requiring driver enough time to brake properly and can create a tragedy in rush hour traffic. Happens while driving.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Mar 222015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 25 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained face injuries, the front passenger who was pregnant sustained stomach injures, the fetus sustained a fracture on the leg, and the rear passenger sustained head injures. All passengers required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed, but was taken to an auto body repair center for body repairs. In addition, five months later while driving at 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to stop. As a result, the contact switched into the right lane and another vehicle crashed into the rear passenger side door of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained back injuries, the front passenger sustained back and cervical injuries and the rear passenger sustained head injuries. A police report was filed. All passengers required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- West Park , FL, USA

Jul 082015

My wife experienced a complete loss of brake pressure and the vehicle would not stop in time at a traffic light. She had to swerve into the lane to the left to avoid a stopped car. She called me to meet her and switch cars. After loading her and the kids into my car I immediately took vehicle to our local nisan dealer (brake pressure returned after pumping the brakes several times). They diagnosed the ABS pump as defective. There are multiple complaints online of this same problem. It is a major safety and reliability issue. Nissan should take responsibility and issue a recall. This is not a normal wear and tear for a well maintained vehicle with 67000 miles.

- Doral, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Was driving and went to stop at a light when the brakes went to the floor. They were soft and spongy. Was unable to stop and went through the light. I parked the car and turned it off for about an hour and the brakes seem to work fine. The car was checked out and no leaks were found and fluid is at max. Brakes are new. After reading online I found numerous complaints on this same issue. I was just glad there was not to much traffic and that my baby and I didn't get in an accident. Has anything been reported on this?

- Austin, TX, USA