2009 Nissan Murano brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 032017

Murano

We have had two incidents now where the brakes have failed on our 2009 Murano. After hitting a pot hole while entering an intersection, I tried to turn right. I went to hit my brakes in the turn but found they were not working. I pushed the pedal to the floor with no change. I then repeatedly pumped the breaks to get some kind of traction and was eventually able to come to a stop. Because of my location in the intersection, I then had to continue to clear the area. The brakes continued to be "soft" until I was able to get to a safe place. I turned the vehicle off and restarted after several minutes. The brake system appeared to reset and I had no further problems. The first occurrence with brakes failing was several weeks ago, the same thing happened while my daughter was driving. She hit a bump in the road, and then lost all braking. Her speed was minimal and she was able to stop. The vehicle was turned off and restarted and there were no other problems until today. New brakes and rotors were put on approximately 9 months ago.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Dec 302016

Murano

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. While driving 60 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle accelerated instead. Each time the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle would accelerate at a high speed. The brake pedal was depressed to the floor. The contact placed the vehicle in park, but the engine kept revving. The contact was able to turn the vehicle off, but once it restarted, the rpms kept increasing and a popping sound was heard. The vehicle was turned off again and operated normally when it was restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 106,000.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Murano

The brakes in our 2009 Nissan Murano intermittently fail about once or twice a month. When a failure occurs the brake pedal goes down to the floor and the vehicle slows, but does not stop. Several occurrences required a swerve off the road to avoid a collision. Several, but not all of these occurrences were preceded by a jolt to the vehicle (pothole, railroad track, etc.). no warning lights or ABS lights come on and no error codes are set. The condition lasts for a few minutes to a few hours then returns to completely normal operation. The local Nissan dealership cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle and were unable or unwilling to help.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 232016

Murano

After going over a bump in the road while braking, the brake pedal became very soft, requiring that one push the brake pedal almost completely to the floor in order to stop the car. The brakes did stop the car but required great force, and the pedal went to the floor. Returned to normal overnight. Three weeks later same thing happened again, this time after hitting a pothole. Went away after several days. Third time happened without hitting any bumps. Dealer says it is ABS actuator and will cost $2500 to fix. Unless it is fixed, though, the brake pedal goes to the floor without even slowing the car down until the last second, and you are never sure it is going to stop at all!

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 112016

Murano

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. After driving over a pothole, the brakes failed to function and the emergency brake had to be applied. The dealer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no solution. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Nov 012016

Murano

Brakes suddenly are spongy and soft. Need to be depressed much more than normal. This is a condition that has appeared suddenly. Took car to mechanic and he replaced rear brakes, turned rotors, and replaced the master cylinder twice, both resulting in the same spongy brake condition.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Feb 022016

Murano

At approximately 99,000 miles I encountered a limited number of instances when the brake pedal lost pressure, becoming very "soft", while driving. The situation became dangerous as the brakes were less responsive. The brake pedal would displace several inches and the car would be difficult to stop. After parking for a period, brake operation appeared to return to normal. I eventually suspected the issue was triggered by the ABS. I took to the dealer, described the issue and requested a brake diagnostic which confirmed that the ABS actuator was defective. Now facing a repair of ~$2400 which can't be avoided as having the ABS system malfunction represents a significant hazard. My daughter is driving this vehicle at college and likely would not be experienced to handle what I experienced. While at just over 100,000 miles, this vehicle has been maintained very well and this type of system defect seems unusual and dangerous.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Nov 082016

Murano

While driving on the road, after my car hit a raccoon the break pedal went soft and lost pressure totally and the car was not stopping. I was eventually able to get the car stopped after a few hundred meters by using the parking break. The break pedal was pressed completely to the floor and no pressure at all. I was lucky to be able to stop the car without collision with the break sudden out of control, but really in a panic with extreme concerns of my driving safety. I turned off the car for a while and turn back on, the break returned to normal and I could drive my car home slowly. I brought my car to the dealer next day and the issue seems well known by the dealer but they have nothing to do to solve it. This break issue happened few times before while driving over a bump. I found this is most likely the same ABS motor modulator issue others have claimed, Nissan should set a recall to fix this asap to avoid tragedies on the road.

- Calgary, AK, USA

Nov 132016

Murano

Every time the ABS system is engaged due to slipping on rough road or leaves etc, the brakes become spongy and unresponsive. In addition, the pedal travels all the way to the floor. This happens at any speed, any time the ABS system is called upon. It is clear there is a bypass valve that is not returning to its normal position. It is unacceptable that, with over 30 complaints to the ntsa, no research has been done on this issue by Nissan. The replacement part is around $1500, possibly the most expensive single brake part in existence.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Oct 232016

Murano 6-cyl

While braking for a yellow light, I hit a pothole and the brake pedal went totally soft, dropped to the floor, and the car was not stopping. I coasted through the red light and was able to get enough pressure from the pedal to stop the car a few hundred feet later. The brake pedal was pressed completely to the floor. I turned the car off to consider my options (and panic a little), then turned it back on. The brake returned to normal height and pressure. I drove the 15 miles home very cautiously. Brakes have been fine since, but I have been driving incredibly slowly and cautiously. Car is with the dealer now to troubleshoot, though I am guessing it's the same ABS motor modulator issue others have had. It seems like this fix isn't quite known to 100% be the fix, and so I am incredibly leery of driving this car any more, even repaired. My family's safety is too important to not be sure. Shopping for its replacement now. Failure first occurred at 98K miles.

- Holmes, PA, USA

Oct 132016

Murano

Our 2009 Nissan Murano lost break pressure a few months ago. Took it to a mechanic who replaced the master cylinder to the tune of about $700. Less than two months later it is happening again (break all the way to the floor). Unfortunately I didn't realize until now that this is a very common issue. I cannot believe there hasn't been a recall for this potentially life threatening problem.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 042016

Murano

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle hesitated to decrease in speed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS control failed. The manufacture was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 022016

Murano

Twice now during normal driving the brake pedal has gone all the way to the floor while trying to apply the brakes. There was a total loss of braking. After pumping the brakes they returned to normal. Took the car to the dealer and explained the condition and they did a full brake exam. Ended up having the rear brakes replaced. Seemed O.K. until it happened again today.

- Niles, IL, USA

Sep 102016

Murano

Failure of ABS hydraulic control unit, causing brake failure where pedal had to be pushed to floor to engage brakes.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 192016

Murano

Brakes lost pedal pressure several times.intermitent problem.mechanic replaced ABS motor modulator.cost was $2300.the problem seems to be common with this model.very dangerous.recall needed.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Sep 022016

Murano

Our 2009 Murano brake pedal worked fine until 6 months ago. The pedal then started to feel very soft when pressed. I took it to a mechanic and they looked over it but couldn't find anything seriously wrong and adjusted the tension. The brakes seemed normal after but didn't last long. I then took it to a former Nissan mechanic that looked into it and recommended we take it to the dealer since he couldn't find anything wrong with it and didn't want to change parts without knowing for sure. He looked into the bulletins that have been reported and felt that Nissan has a serious problem with this model on their brakes. When I went to the Nissan dealer they acted as if they have never heard of any brake issues with the Muranos. I informed her to look at the bulletins that have been submitted but it didn't seem to matter. I had them check the Murano over and they came back and said brake fluid is dirty that should fix it. Of course it didn't fix the serious issue that Nissan has with brakes.

- Searcy, AR, USA

Aug 152016

Murano

While braking fairly hard from 45 mph on a straight highway, the vehicle went over a small hump in the asphalt. This apparently activated the ABS system, which failed and remained in that mode. Subsequently, when the brakes were applied, the brake pedal would go almost all the way to the floor, considerably increasing stopping distance. The Nissan dealer replaced the ABS actuator for $2700. I feel that this is a premature failure for a vehicle with only 79,000 miles.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Jul 242016

Murano

We started experiencing problems with a very low brake pedal about 3 weeks ago. It was sporadic and would get better after pumping the brakes repeatedly but return after a few days. Went to one repair shop and they suggested new brakes pads and front rotors. We had this done and the brakes seemed fine for a few days but then returned to the low pedal. Went to another repair shop and they indicated that a new master cylinder was needed. Had this done yesterday and again the brakes seemed ok but went back to a low pedal while driving home. From what I've read in the other complaints listed, this is the same issue experienced by others and given the potential for a major accident and injuries, I can not understand why NHTSA has not required a recall. We have now spent over $1,200 for repairs that likely were not needed. I do not intend to pay for a new ABS controller. Nissan needs to take ownership of this problem and provide a fix at no cost.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jul 222016

Murano

On July 22, 2016 I left work and took the interstate home. I was in the fast lane traveling about 60 mph and had not been on the interstate long. I noticed that traffic was coming to a slow stop. I applied my brakes. At first it felt normal as if my brakes were okay, but then they went all the way to the floor. I was blessed that the traffic in the right hand lane was back far enough for me to get over. I kept trying to apply my brakes and they were on the floor. The car did slow down eventually. I was able to make it home by driving extremely slow and easing to a stop starting 30 yards from the vehicle in front of me. I had my Murano towed to a repair shop on Saturday morning and they kept it the entire next week. I was told that when they first got in the vehicle, the brakes went to the floor again when they tried to stop. However, after that first attempt the brakes started to work perfectly. They drove it the entire week to see if the malfunction would repeat itself but it never did. I picked my car up on Friday, July 29, 2016 with no assurance that the brakes would not go out again. Since the problem could not be isolated, no repairs were made. I continue to drive my car out of necessity for work but I am stressed not knowing if or when my brakes will fail again. I do have documentation from the repair shop but it is not online so I cannot load it.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 192016

Murano

My vehicle brakes goes all the way to the floor and I have to pump them to get the vehicle to stop. I notice online that a lot of customers are having the same problem with this year and vehicle model. I have read how they had to spend a lot of money on parts and labor because the mechanics couldn't figure out the problem, so they started during power of elimination. I don't have that kind of money to spend. I took it to a certified Nissan dealership and they told me I would have to replace the ABS first. Just to see if that was the problem, if it wasn't then they would try something else. My questions is with all these complaints about the same problem, why haven't this vehicle been recalled. The vehicle is safety hazard to drive and it's not fair to the customers that we have to spend all this money to try and trouble shoot the problem. I see there is a recall for the 2016 model and it sounds like it's the same problem that the 2009 model is having. I drove the vehicle in April 2016, , just to go around the corner to the grocery store and I couldn't stop the vehicle. I had to put the car on the curb because I was on a busy road, so I wouldn't run in back of this old lady. I called Nissan to about the problem and that's when I was referred to the Nissan dealership. Nissan said their certified mechanic would have to determine the problem to see if they would cover the cost or not, but like a mention earlier, the mechanics don't know and it's costing the customer a arm and leg just to trouble shoot the problem. I have taken this vehicle to 5 different places and no one could tell me the problem. I am requesting that some take a good look at the 2009 Nissan Murano brake system. Thank you for your time.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA