2002 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Sentra:

2002 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Feb 062016

My Nissan Sentra decided to stall out in the middle of a very busy intersection. Was able to restart the Nissan after about 15 seconds. Later that day I was unable to start my car. Battery was jumped and the car was running until I turned my headlights on. I had to be towed home. I believe my can sensor and crank sensor need to be replaced and there was a recall for this complaint before.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Dec 182011

Sentra 4-cyl

I was at a red light, the light turned green, I pressed the gas pedal but it got stuck and I was not able to drive. There was a car behind me, so I managed to merge to the left using my steering wheel. I continued to press the gas pedal but it was completely stuck, and I was not able to hit the gas pedal to increase the speed of the car to drive away from incoming traffic. I was finally able to cruise the car and merge left. I parked my car in a residential area. I turned the car off. I then manually pulled the gas pedal up away from the floor and managed to unstuck the gas pedal.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Nov 162010

Sentra 4-cyl

Over the past 3 years, I've had my 2002 Nissan Sentra ser spec V into Nissan 15 times for service. They have yet to fix it. Every 1-7 months I have to bring it back. The car has shut off and stalled on me in traffic, which is very dangerous. The ECM has been replaced twice many others have reported problems with the ECM online I believe it is bad, as well as other parts, and Nissan needs to issue recalls on this car. Problem # / date / problem / solution #1 1/31/08/service engine soon (ses) light/recall R0712 reprogram ECM (update of the software). Evap leak (#1), resecure fuel cap #2 8/23/08/ses/idle air control reset (#1): Performed idle air relearn, reset ECM set idle, adjust idle control valve. $165 #3 1/9/09/car won't start/codes P0605, PO183, P2128, P1229, P0122. Replace ECM unit (#1) due to pulling too many codes // main harness pin test, repair fuel pump wire in main harness, $449 #4 1/28/09/ses / code P0455 evap gross leak (#2). Repair fuel lines, replace "O" ring, $302. #5 6/6/09/ses, stalls on highway / code P1456 evap very small leak (#3), recurred gas cap. #6 7/12/09/ses, no power / code PO233, replace throttle chamber (#1) #7 7/21/09/ses/code P1456 evap small leak (#4), replaced vent control valve #8 7/28/09/car shuts off in traffic / performed air idle learn (#2) #9 12/2/09/car shifting hard / santa monica Nissan determines there is no communication between the sensor and the ECM (computer), which means it's an electrical problem, and they want to do a pin test for $575 #10 12/7/09/ses/replaced throttle assembly (#2) #11 12/24/09/ses/replace radiator #12 4/24/10/ses/diagnostics showed tp sensor, performed idle control learn volume (#3) #13 5/12/10/ses, car stalls / replace throttle body sensor (#3) #14 11/6/10/ses/repaired ground wire at ECM #15 11/16/10/car shuts off in traffic / replace ECM, charge $111.50 for car rental I have a document with more info and receipts I can email, fax or send to you.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R. the contact stated that the vehicle had experienced recurring failures when it began to stall or fail to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body was replaced. Approximately 2 months later, the failure began to recur and the vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer where the throttle body was replaced twice. The contact began to notice that the vehicle was burning approximately one quart of oil a week. Approximately 6 months later, the failures began to recur and the vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer who stated that the engine melted. The contact was informed of an engine recall and the engine was replaced by an authorized dealer. Approximately two months later, the vehicle failed to accelerate intermittently. The vehicle was not examined in order to determine the cause of failure. The failure mileage was 72,000 and the current mileage was 77,000.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 242009

About 2 months ago, my husband and I were driving to New Jersey from Maryland going North on 95. We were in the left lane going about 75 miles per hour when the car completely lost throttle response. My husband was pressing down on the accelerator but nothing was happening. This has been an on going problem with his 2002 Nissan Sentra spec V. we have had several throttle bodies replaced as this is what the computer is telling them the problem is. This is a safety issue because you will be driving normally at regular posted speeds, and without warning, the car losses response to pressing on the accelerator. I have tried to contact Nissan regarding this matter but just received confirmation of the email. Two Nissan service departments have replaced the part several times without the satisfactory results. This is a safety issue because if he loses throttle response while on the highway and the vehicle behind him is not aware of what is happening as the vehicle slows, this could be a tragic accident. We have spent a lot of money trying to resolve this issue. I hope you can help with this matter.

- Crofton, MD, USA

May 152002

Sentra 4-cyl

After starting the car on May 15 2005 it was put in reverse and the accelerator went up, raising the rpms to 4000. This lasted 3-5 seconds. The consumer put the car into neutral and turned the ignition off. Then, turned the car off and T back on. He thought that it was a one time event, and maybe something that made the rpms to rise.. then in July 2005 the consumer was sitting in the car, and then the rpms increased to 6000 while it was in park. The consumer shut off the vehicle and turned it back on, and everything was fine again. The third time, five days later, while merging onto the highway, the consumer stopped to let the other car go, and consumer's vehicle took off. The car rolled forward, the rpms rose to about 6000, and the car sped up to 3-4 mph. The consumer pushed the brakes in and the car continued to go forward. Then T put the car in neutral, and waited, and about 3-5 seconds later the vehicle stopped racing. The car was taken to the dealership, who said that the car was road tested and could not duplicate the problem. The manufacturer has not been contacted. Updated 11/16/05.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 242005

Sentra 4-cyl

Without warning the vehicle accelerated. While driving at about 30 mph the vehicle started accelerating on its own. Caller had to hit the brakes to get it to stop. He pulled off the road, turned it off, and restarted it. Caller says it was a gradual acceleration. Manufacturer told caller about recalls. Dealer was not concerned about the problem and will talk about it tomorrow.

- Tolland, CT, USA

Apr 052005

2002 gxe Nissan Sentra experiencing problems with acceleration. When the accelerator pedal was pressed the vehicle would not accelerate. Once the consumer applied more pressure the vehicle would lurch forward. The vehicle was repaired twice but the problem recurred.

- Falmouth, MA, USA

Oct 072004

After filing several complaints with Nissan and NHTSA, about the vehicle surging. The consumer was involved in an accident, whereby he rear ended another vehicle.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Aug 222003

My car has had the check engine light come on 5 times since April 2003, everytime it has been the same problem, it starts idleing at a very sparatic pace, also I lose the throttle. The car has been "reset and recalibrated" 4 times at the dealership. The car then runs fine for about 300 miles and we go through it again. It has now turn into a safety concern because I will lose the throttle as I am driving. -kh.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jul 072003

While traveling on the highway and without prior warning the vehicle shut down due to ECU going out, there was no function. Dealer was aware of the problem.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012002

While driving 15 mph engine surged up to 30-35 mph, and consumer lost control, hitting telephone pole. Engine light was illuminating. Dealer contacted.

- Rotter Dam Junction, NY, USA