2005 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Titan:

2005 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Jun 082012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

My truck had a whine that sounded like brakes squealing. I had the Nissan dealership check it out at my last service and the told me that the rear brakes would need to be replaced soon. So a few months later my truck suddenly began to pop and lunge when turning so I brought it in same day. $3,600 later I had a new rear end because the other one just "failed". really? no warranty, no nothing from Nissan. Checking this site (and others) this is a huge problem with Titans. Since this is a (dot) gov. Site how about doing something about this!

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

May 182012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that he heard a grinding noise coming from the rear while driving 5 mph. The contact stopped and exited the vehicle. While allowing another person to drive the vehicle, the contact noticed that the grinding noise was coming from the rear differential. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the rear differential completely failed and the vehicle was not safe to be driven. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,920. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

May 112012

I looked outside and had a puddle of oil under the front of my truck. Got the truck to a mechanic and he informed me that the front axle popped out of place. This truck is stock, no lifts and never goes off road. So this happened under normal driving conditions. A front axle should not just pop out of place. I just got it back from replacing the rear axle and seals as both were leaking. Also the rear shackles on the vehicle rotted out. This vehicle has way too many problems for Nissan not to be recalling and fixing these issues.

- Farmington, CT, USA

May 202009

Titan 8-cyl

The rear end was replaced under warranty in my 2005 Titan at 55K miles no charge due to oval shaped axle tubes causing axle seal failure. Here I am again 2012 with 115K miles out of warranty but only 60K miles on the rear end that was replaced under warranty and have the same issue blown axle seals due to out of round axle tubes. If you do not recognize this all the axle oil can leak out causing sudden rear differential failure which may lead to a crash or loss of life. Nissan was contacted about this issue after the seals where replaced in the second rear end and the seals continue to leak after replacement. Nissan refused to do anything about the issue and stated "your truck is out of warranty" imo there should have been a recall on the axles leaking along with the cracked exhaust manifolds that were numerous reported also. Visit the Nissan forums and you can view 44 pages of differential issues on Titan Nissan should be held accountable...

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Mar 052012

Titan 8-cyl

Rear differential completely failed at 102,000 miles. Vehicle not drivable. Do not use the vehicle off road with very little towing. This is my wife's vehicle.Nissan refused to acknowledge any defect. Cost to repair $3K.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Feb 242012

As my husband just got off the interstate the rear end completely blew out, parts went everywhere. Wheels locked up. A gentleman that was walking brought me some parts that shot across the street. Thank god I was off the interstate where the speed limit is 70 mph, the ending to this story would be more tragic. Long story short, it was the entire rear end. Looks like I am looking at a $2,000 repair that evidently Nissan knows all about with the complaints and it is crazy they have not done a thing about it. I know and understand that things happen to vehicles, but we had no warning of what just took place.

- Worthington, WV, USA

Feb 192012

Titan 8-cyl

2005 Nissan Titan SE - right rear axle seal leaking onto brakes. 80,000 miles on truck.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Feb 102012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle has only 49K miles on it and had to have the right rear axle seal replaced for the second time. This time out of my pocket as it was out of warranty. Many Titan owners are having this issue. Appears there is no permanent fix for this issue. There should be a recall as if the fluid totally leaked out, I and many others could have a serious accident caused by the rear end failure.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 092012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. While driving 25 mph, the contact smelled smoke coming from the vehicle when she drove to the side of the road. After inspection, she noticed that fluid was leaking from the vehicle. Neither the dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The current and the failure mileage was 130,762.

- Canton, MS, USA

Feb 082012

Titan 8-cyl

The rear end of my vehicle is make alot of noise which seems to get louder as I accelerate. I found out that noise is coming fom the differential.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Dec 122011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Failed rear end causing complete loss of power. I had two children in the car and the explosion scared them to say the least.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Jan 302012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear axle seals leaking. Diff fluid is getting on the brake rotors, pads, and wheels.

- Gaffney, SC, USA

Jan 212012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

First heard roaring (wub wub wub wub sound coming from underneath when truck was coasting approximately 45 mph (no accelerator pressed) the faster I was coasting the louder and higher the sound became. Sounded like bad tires, but upon pressing accelerator pedal, noise would completely go away. I took the truck home immediately and called my mechanic to come drive it and diagnose the vehicle. He took it for a test drive, brought it back and told me do not drive this truck; it is too dangerous. Something is seriously wrong with the drive train probably the wheel bearings of differential. He would not drive it to his garage either as he had his young daughter and her friend with him. He came back with another guy to drive his vehicle as he would drive mine to his shop and told me he would put it on the lift and check it out. He drove away. I went back inside and then a few minutes later I see him backing down the driveway. I went out and asked him what was wrong at which time he informed me he heard a clanging and stopped immediately, and upon inspection found the drive shaft had fallen out onto the ground. He found the nut and repaired it well enough to back it to my home down the driveway. He showed me underneath and fluid was everywhere. I could see a definite gap between the driveshaft and where it attaches at the rear axle. He came back with a car-hauler and will inform me as to the full extent of the damage. Thank god this catastrophic failure did not occur on the highway at speed with traffic. I have also had severe brake shake like many, many other Titan owners.

- Corryton, TN, USA

Jan 032012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Nissan Titan 4X4 differential started making a noise when turning left or right from stop. We were told it could be limited slip issue and have fluid changed and make sure synthetic lube is put back in. Mechanic showed me a part of a spider gear that was stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Said we needed a new limited slip and probably not planetary gears. We were shocked when we were told that Nissan prohibits the differential manufacturer from selling separate parts for the differential - you have to purchase the complete differential from Nissan and it cost $2800 just for the part. Checking this out on blogs, it appears that Nissan had this problem on years '04 - '06 model years and they changed to a more substantial differential in 2008 because they must have seen the groundswell of totaled out differentials. Most people just shell out the money and don't file complaints so unless Nissan is forced to come clean on the problem we are you know what. My wife drives this truck to work everyday. We have pulled a boat trailer 6 times on 30 mile trips. This is a bunch of you know what.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 132012

Titan 8-cyl

In 2005 4 months after I purchased the Titan, I was involved in a minor rear end accident that dented the rear bumper. 2 months after the accident and the bumper was replaced I noticed seepage coming from the rear axle. I thought it was due to the accident and did not have the seals replaced. It was not. The leak has entered into my emergency brake system and it has never performed properly. On January 13, 2012 a loud noise from the rear end prompted me to exit the interstate where I noticed smoke and a burning oil smell coming from the axle. The bearings were replaced and I drove the truck for 20 miles and the truck broke down again. I reseached the problem on the internet and found many complaints regarding seal leaks and replacement of the axle shaft. I also found a 2010 service bulletin from Nissan instructing replacement of the axle shaft and associated components. I have 200,000 miles on my truck and it has performed relatively well, but I have an issue with Nissan for not addressing the issue and risking my familys' safety for 5 years before issuing a safety bulletin.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Dec 242011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving our 2005 Nissan Titan approximately 15 mph when the rear differential failed. We were 30 seconds from getting on a major interstate. There was a loud "pop" sound and the truck jerked and seemed to slip out of gear and locked up. The truck was barely drivable. Our mechanic determined that it was the rear differential. When he called Nissan to order the parts to rebuild it, he was told by the Nissan parts distributor that because of "previous problems" with the differential, they only sell the entire differential part, not the individual components, the part alone was $2900. Our entire bill was $3800, and ofcourse we are out of warranty. We conducted research on this issue and found 80 complaints on this NHTSA website, countless consumer complaints on various websites, and even some court cases. Nissan clearly knows about this potentially life-threatening issue in the 2004 and 2005 models and has done nothing about it to protect consumers. We will be pursuing this with Nissan and will be taking legal action if necessary. Not sure why nothing has been done about this especially given all the complaints out there. NHTSA should look into this issue as this defect is very dangerous and could cause a fatal accident (if it hasn't already). Shame on you Nissan.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

Jan 142012

It stop working for no reason. I was on a icy road the 4X4 light said that the truck was in 4wheel drive an it wasn, T.that cause a near acident! I got online and I see that this is a on going problem should be a recall

- Novinger, MO, USA

Dec 272011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Had a bad sound coming out of front tire area. Noticed grey oil the following day on my garage floor. 70,123 miles on it. Took my '05 Titan to my service guy. Said the front differential is completely gone. Got it repaired yesterday, $2100....looked online and saw folks with the same issues, many folks! seems to me Nissan should own up to this being an issue with these model year trucks and correct the problem (ie recall) before its a major accident for someone. My mechanic noticed that the part number was superseded by another number, most likely meaning that Nissan knows of the issue and that's their way of "correcting" the issue. Only issue Nissan, consumers pay for the issue. Makes me want to re-think about purchasing another Nissan product, I have two presently.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 102011

Vehicle rear differential failed with out cause. With any slight turn of the wheel the entire vehicle would jump and a loud knocking sound was herd at the rear end. Nissan dealership informed me that this seems to be an issue with the vent tubes corroded causing pressure to build up in the rear differential and the spyder gear(s) fail. Nissan will not issue a recall for this issue and does not supply rebuild parts for the vehicle- their only fix is for me to purchase a new rear axle. Searching on google has reviewed 168,000 hits for this problem. I find it difficult to believe that this is an isolated issue. My local transmission shop is unable to locate a used rear axle as demand for these parts is extremely high. Had this happened on the highway it probably would have caused a fatal accident as a sudden locking of the rear end at 60 mph plus would cause a loss of control.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Nov 292011

Titan 8-cyl

2005 Nissan Titan king cab 2X4 leaking oil from both side of the axle. Problem axle seek failure. Upon taking the truck into the dealership for checkup and they quoted me for about $1700 in repairs. As per there tsb they will replace both axle seals and axle "tsb ntb10-032" if the seals fail on most of the Titan's shouldn't Nissan do a recall on this plus when I was there the service man stated that there tsb says to replace both axle which drives up the cost instead of just replacing the axle seal.

- Kingsville, TX, USA