2006 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Titan:

2006 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 052012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Right rear wheel seal is leaking badly noticed at 65000 miles but it looks like its been leaking for a while. This problem seems to be frequent and it also seems to be a safety issue it oil leaking onto the brakes.

- Rolla, MO, USA

Apr 172012

Titan 8-cyl

2006 Nissan Titan rear axle seals began leaking. Vehicle has never been off the pavement and has had all maintenance performed by the owner manual list.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Feb 152012

Titan 8-cyl

I noticed an exhaust leak on my truck. Took it to a reputable exhaust shop, they told me their was a crack in the converter and I needed to take it to the dealership. After checking the web I realized it was under warranty (80000 on exhaust emissions) my truck only had 65K. They replaced both manifolds as they were both cracked. This repair would have cost me 2500.00! after seeing this was a common problem with the Titan trucks, I think this should be addressed. Also the dealership told me I had a front differential leak which was the pinion seal, this repair will cost me 300-500.00. Of course its not covered under warranty so I will have to pay this. After seeing this is also a common problem, I feel Nissan needs to correct this issue as it is a safety problem for both me and fellow motorist. My truck has 65,000 miles and is babied! total repairs would be around $3000 for the manifolds and the differential, I feel something needs to be done as this is an ongoing issue.

- Eden, NC, USA

Mar 062012

Rear axle seals leaking gear oil. Replaced by certified mechanic twice and the leak persists.

- Levittown , PA, USA

Mar 142012

Titan 8-cyl

I was having my vehicles front differential fluid changed and the service technician noticed 2 cracks around the axle housing. Upon further inspection the housing was damaged enough to wear it could leak and cause failure.

- Humble , TX, USA

Feb 172012

Both rear axle seals started leaking all over my brakes and inside the wheel well causing poor breaking ability. I called the Nissan dealer and they told me this is a common problem with Titans and that they no longer recommend replacing just the seals but instead the whole axle. The tech (who told me he had 20 yrs with Nissan) said that when they used to just replace the seals people would have to come back 6 months later because the seals would blow again. All of the posts online say that it is a result of an improper venting system that does not allow for the release of negative pressure. If this is such a common problem, and Nissan knows that it is, why don't they do a full recall? this is a very dangerous problem that can cause brake failure.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 012011

Titan 8-cyl

Rear axle seal, driver side, and soon after, the passenger side as well, failed. Differential fluid leaked out onto inner wheel surface, brake parts, and immediate area creating hazardous conditions. This is a widely known problem for Nissan Titan owners and Nissan is, and has been, well aware of this problem and has not offered a design solution to my knowledge. Nearly every Titan experiences this seal failure at some point. Some while still under warranty, (which typically get repaired by Nissan) but as for the rest of us who are beyond our warranties, we are left with this hazardous condition and a big repair bill. **this should be a recall, or at least repaired by Nissan at their expense. Its my understanding that there was a technical service bulletin outlining the issuefor Nissan mechanics. Please help**

- Mobile, AL, USA

Sep 062011

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the rear differential cracked while driving 55 mph and caused differential fluid to leak from the rear driver side tire. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the dealer advised that the rear differential needed to be replaced. The vehicle was previously repaired for the same failure but to no avail. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Dec 052011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Titan has an axel seal failure on the drivers side rear, differential fluid is leaking onto the rear brakes causing reduced braking and also the potential for axle/differential failure. Nissan refuses to address this design flaw. They have a re-engineered replacement axle shaft and seal at a cost of about $800 per side. This should be a recall not $1600 out of my pocket to fix. Will Nissan and ntsb wait until there are fatalities before they address this common issue with the Nissan Titans?

- Hillsborough, NH, USA

Nov 142011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Just replaced the rear seals for a Nissan Titan 2006. Problem began at 65,000 miles. I was told that lack of fluid due to leaking could cause the vehicle to lock-up while driving. The internet is filled with complaints regarding this issue. This seems to be a major safety problem. Also had tailpipe issues (dropping from the truck) which is also well documented on the internet and, again, a safety problem. Needs to be recalled.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Oct 282011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I just went into the dealership last Thursday the 27th of September to have a routine oil change performed. As part of the inspection the technician noticed that my rear axle seals on my truck were seeping/leaking again. The dealer had replaced the rear axles and seals under powertrain warranty at 46520 miles on the odometer. The truck now has a little over 54K miles and they are going out again. So essentially 14 months after the dealer replaced everything it is out again. I am going to contact Nissan directly again to get this repaired even though I am out of warranty by less than a month. This is a serious safety concern for both my family and other drivers on the road as these seals can leak oil onto the brakes and could cause a rear end failure at driving speed which could endanger lives. This truck has low miles for a 2006 and tows a light trailer with atvs a few times a year. All manufacture maintenance is performed on time by a certified mechanic.

- Cottage Grove, OR, USA

Sep 232011

Axle seals on rear of vehicle leak excessively.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 142011

Driver side rear axle seal leaking oil and faulty axle bearing at 50K miles. Very common failure in early mileage life of vehicle, many owner complaints. Replace seal an bearing at cost over $700. The driver side rear axle failure is most common and is not the dominant drive wheel. Now the passenger side axle showing signs of leakage. Vehicle does not tow anything and does not carry heavy loads. Dealer advised not to drive it any further or catastrophic damage may occur to rear differential assembly especially at highway speeds. Repairs have been done.

- Vaughan, Ont Canada, L4j9l1, DC, USA

Aug 122011

2006 Nissan Titan SE rear left seal leaking fixed under warranty. Now the same issue on the left rear seal is leaking again and also the right rear seal is starting to leak. Based on all my research I have done this seems to be an ongoing issue and should be continued to be covered after the warranty has expired. What are my options. My truck is now at the dealer and I should not have to pay for repairs. My truck has only 88,000 miles.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Jul 302011

The rear ale bearings in my 2006 4X4 Nissan Titan have failed. No parts manufacturer except Nissan is offering the parts and only as a whole differential unit.

Jul 302011

The front differential carrier bearing has failed causing severe backlash in the drives shaft and a failure of the pinion. Also the front left seal has failed causing a leak to progressively get bigger allowing more and more lubricant to escape.

Jul 112011

Tail pipe rusted at flange next to muffler and noticed liquid leaking from around the center of my right rear wheel. I took it to Nissan, they confirmed rear seal leakage. Scheduled to be fixed tomorrow.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 092011

Titan 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Titan. I was on vacation with my wife and granddaughter this past week when I noticed the braking on my truck felt wrong. It took much further to stop than it should. It could have caused an accident. I pulled over to a rest area and noticed a burning smell coming from the rear of the vehicle. I checked the fluids and everything looked ok. I went to a garage to have it looked at. The mechanic showed me where the rear axle seals were leaking differential fluid into the brake drums on both rear wheels and spinning fluid into the wheels. They told me I need to get it over to the Nissan dealer to have them look at it. I called Nissan and they told me this is a common issue with Titans. They consider it safe. But they tell me I need to get it fixed right away. The rear brakes have differential fluid leaking into them. Which means I may even have to replace the rear brakes because they are being damaged! they also told me the rear axle could lock up causing more danger and damage. They admit this is a common issue but they will not let the owners know in writing. That is probably because they would rather the owner encure the huge expense of repairing this issue after their warranty has expired. They will not consider this a recall. I will have to spend $3000 to replace the rear axle. I am furious and disapointed that Nissan will not issue a recall on this. While researching this online I see hundreds of post.why is this not being addressed? it hasn't even been five years yet since I purchased the vehicle. I am only at 85,000 miles. Nissan should be ashamed of their pathetic response and refusal to fix this issue at their expense.this is a saftey issue Nissan! I will never buy a Nissan again if they don't resolve this issue at their expense.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

May 182011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

Rear axle seals leaking fluid. Safety issue due to fluid possibly leaking onto brake pads and lack of lubrication fluid could lead to axle locking while in motion.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA