2006 Nissan Titan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Titan:

2006 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 102011

On my 2006 Nissan Titan truck, the rear pinion seal was replaced once under warranty and has failed again at 72250 miles. I am hearing some play in the rear differential, caused by lack of oil from the leaking seal. It took an excessive amount of fluid to refill the differential, telling me it had been leaking for a long time, the second time. Failure of the differential would mean a roadside breakdown or a vehicle crash. Many people have complained of this problem and Nissan needs to address it.

- Blowing Rock, NC, USA

Apr 042011

Titan 8-cyl

I noticed that my 2006 Nissan Titan with 54,000 miles was leaking oil from the right rear axle the other day. I called my Nissan dealer and he told me my warranty ended in January and the rear axle seals would not be covered. The dealership knew all about the problem but would not fix the problem unless I paid 450 dollars. They called it normal wear and tear. They offered even to sell me a new Titan. I declined. I had the problem fixed with a local mechanic for 300 dollars. After fixing my Titan, I researched the problem on the internet and found that many people were having the same problem with the 2004-2008 Nissan Titans. I found that even after you replace the rear axle seal, the problem occurs over and over again. Nissan should man up and take responsibility for their problem. I even found a service bulletin issued by Nissan addressing the problem. So they know there is a problem but wont do anything about it. My local mechanic told me I was lucky that the leaking oil didn't get into the brake pads.

- Bolivar, TN, USA

Feb 232011

Titan 4WD

Rear axel seals are leaking at 60K miles on Titan 4X4 truck. This is a chronic problem per internet searches and should not be experienced with this many miles.

- Eagle River , AK, USA

Dec 182010

Rear wheel axle seal Nissan Titan 2006 oil on brakes after leak started seals had to be replaced to fix issue.

- Port Orchar, WA, USA

Feb 092011

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I currently have a 2006 Nissan Titan and have never had a problem with it and have been completely happy with it up until now. Long story short; I made an appointment with Nissan dealership close to where I live (stanley Nissan) to get a recall done on it as well as have it looked at for my ABS and slip lights being on constantly as well as my service engine light which was on before. A few days before my appointment my truck started driving weird and disengaging itself out of 4WD and I would lose control at times or my truck would stop going forward and would start trying to go sideways, but the RPM's still went up, but truck would not accel forward. It also started making a banging noise in the rear, always sounded like it was the passenger side. Dropped it off at dealership and heard from them the following day. Service department told me that my rear brake shoes had broke and spun around in the brake housing and damaged my brake pads, calipers, rotors and then made it into my rear axle housing and damaged my entire rear housing and differential. I am a mechanic myself and there is no way that pieces from the brake assembly would be able to make it inside an enclosed rear housing assembly. They told me I need my entire rear axle and differential replaced along with other pieces for the brake assembly and rear shock absorbers. They tried to tell me that all of this was cause by brake shoes and my emergency brake, which I never use. They are quoting me $4,200 for the repairs and won't cover me under my powertrain warranty even though I am still under 60,000 miles and I can't be covered by my platinum package extended warranty as well which covers me up to 100,000 miles. I have been on numerous sites where there have been many Nissan Titan owners with this problem and the fact that the dealership is trying to work us all over and Nissan North America won't do anything to help honor the warranty. This should be a recall with this many rear differential problems.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Jan 182011

Right rear axle seal leaking oil on to brake rotor replaced axle seal 2006 Nissan Titan 4X4 miles 54,000.

- Az 85548, AZ, USA

Dec 232010

Titan 8-cyl

Both sides of the rear axle have begun leaking badly and there are only 105,000 miles on the vehicle. The vehicle has not been altered in any way and is used for regular use, not a work truck. The leak is so bad that the oil has saturated the inside of the wheel well and the rear brake pads. When I called the dealership about the issue they tried to sell me the entire assembly(axles, seals, bearings, etc) claiming that mechanics haven't been pressing the bearings correctly. Upon further research online, it looks like a lot of Titan owners have been having problems with the rear ends leaking even at much earlier intervals. Based on my conversation with the dealership it sounds like Nissan is aware of this and trying to sell the fix when people come to the dealership.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Dec 212010

Titan 8-cyl

Truck has right rear axle leak. Nissan dealer wants $470 for repair.

- Ferris, TX, USA

Nov 112010

Right rear axle seal blew out and leaked differential fluid. Differential fluid leaking on rear brake rotors which could cause brake failure. Also, the rear differential oil will slowly leak and cause the rear differential to lose fluid and fail. As this seemed to be a very common problem with the Nissan Titan, Nissan should address this issue and offer a permanent fix to this safety issue.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 092010

Right rear axle seal leaking.

- Groton, CT, USA

Oct 222010

Noticed a small grinding noise underneath my 2006 Nissan Titan le. A friend tells to check the bearings. I bring it the dealer, dealer tells me I need to replace the rear bearings and seals - $900. They also tell me my brakes and emergency brakes shoes are shot due to bearing fluid leaking all over them, they wanted $1600. Replaced all the brakes myself, which were totally fine....I then notice the same grinding noise plus another under my drivers side floor. Bring it back to dealer asking them why. I come to find out the front differential is shot along with the transfer case. This truck has highway miles, only driven in 4X4 for snow. How can this happen? I then proceed to look for answers on the internet and find out that there are many other Titan owners with the same problems. Nissan has actually changed the part numbers for the axle due to the issues that are related. The new repairs will cost between $3600-$4000 which I cannot afford at the moment. Drive safe Titan owners...

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Oct 092010

I took my Titan in to have the rotors turned and was informed that the rear axle seals were leaking. According to what I have read and been told this is very common to the Titans and can ruin your brakes as well. Some people have reported having to replace them 2 or 3 times. Nissan now recommends changing out the entire axle at your expense unless it is still under warranty. The problem is mine have probably been leaking since it was under warranty, but is now too late because it is no longer under warranty and you can't tell that they are leaking until it has been leaking long enough to get gear oil to a visible spot. I haven't had it fixed yet as I am weighing out the best option for me as far as replacing the seals or the whole axle assembly. This is very dangerous due to the possible ramifications to he brake system.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Aug 142010

Rear axles leaking fluid on the 2006 Nissan Titan crew cab. Dealer states that axle seals have failed. Dealer also suggests new axles to be installed rather than replacing seals. Vehicle has never been used to tow a load nor was it used offroad. No aftermarket parts have been installed.

- Apex, NC, USA

Sep 232010

The hub seals on my 2006 Nissan Titan have failed.. and are leaking fluid. In my online research it appears to be a issue that returns due to a axle ventilation issue. I have contacted Nissan usa and they have not provided a resolution or reply as the dealer says the entire axle now requires replacement. has several reports from other owners experiencing the same issue. Please investigate. My truck presently has 70900 miles on it and was purchased in August of 2008 with 58000. The driver use is under 6K miles per year so this appears to be greater concern.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 022010

06 Nissan Titan 4X4 rear end failure. There was a clicking from the driver side rear on my way home from a vacation, a few miles down the road I stopped at a stoplight. When I began to accelerate there was a pop and I lost all power to the rear end. My axle somehow snapped almost dislodging it from the vehicle and now the dealership tells me I need to pay for an entire new rear end. This truck was never abused and saw mild offroad usage. I am very concerned as I could have lost my rear wheel while traveling down the highway at high speeds. This is not the only incident of Nissan Titan owners that I have heard. I believe it is becoming a serious issue.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 132010

2006 Nissan Titan, ,,axle seal failure...4th one, leaking oil all over the brakes.

- Wheeling , WV, USA

Aug 052010

06 Nissan Titan 4X4 SE w/ off road package. The left rear axle seal failed at 65,000 miles. The dealer replaced the left seal and axel.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 262010

2006 Nissan Titan le 4X4, rear axle seals failing causing oil to leak on rear disk brakes. Seems to be pretty common on Titans.

- Benton, AR, USA

May 102010

Titan 4WD

I have noticed my rear axle seals leaking for a while and was told by the dealership that it was not an issue. I have now recently noticed when I use my emergency brake and rear brakes they have been affected by the leaking fluid. I was wondering if this is an issue they should address, or is it just regular maintenance. I have been reading forum complaints about people with the same truck and they have also experienced this problem low in mile. My truck is a 2006 Nissan Titan SE crew cab 4WD. I have noticed the seals leaking since about 40K miles and now have around 56K.

- Humble, TX, USA

May 082010

Rear end failure. Leaking out of both ends of the axle, causing fluid to get onto the rear brake discs causing a safety hazard.

- Cottage Grove, OR, USA