NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 5 of 9)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Jan 242014

G6

While driving home from work my ABS light came on without me touching the brakes. Then the security lock on the dash panel lit up, as if I had locked and activated the security system via the key fob. I was still driving, so there was no reason for me to activate the security system. As I came to a red light and went into the left hand turn lane, I noticed that I had no power steering. While waiting for the light to turn green, the battery light illuminated on the dash panel. I was able to make it safely across the street before the car shut itself off. When I tried to re-start the car, it wouldn't start. I let it rest about 5 minutes and tried again. The car started and within 30 seconds went through the same sequence. ABS light, security light, battery light and shut off. I have replaced the alternator and the battery as they both read low on voltage. To this day 2/15/2014, the only way to keep the car running is to run a direct cable from the alternator to the battery. It is the only way they give off the correct voltage and work with each other. They can no longer function separately of each other. I've read several other complaints of the same issue on edmunds.com with no response from GM. I have contacted GM and was told to take it to a dealership. I informed them I've had my own trusted, local mechanic look at it and he can't diagnose the issue other then a massive electrical failure. I asked GM what their resolution was since this is a know problem with the vehicle. Again, was just told to take it to a GM dealer. No further response or possible solution was offered from GM.

- Cochranville, PA, USA

Jul 012013

G6 6-cyl

I have a '06' G6 gtp hardtop convertible. Engine spontaneously shuts off and ABS light comes on every time I hit a speed bump, drive over railroad tracks, hit a pot hole. Etc. Basically, every time I hit some sort of big bump on the road. When this happens, I would pull over the road, put it in park, and try to restart the engine. But, I would have to try several times before the car turns over. I would put car in total stop, park, turn off key, and wait a few seconds before restarting car. Sometimes it starts right up, other times would take a few attempts. It's almost like I need to wait for the care to reset itself. There is power when restarting, but it would not turn over immediately. Not even a starter sound or engine crank. It has gotten worse over the past week and my car is shutting off more often. This has become hazardous especially driving on a thru-way. I did take the car to a Pontiac dealer about a year ago to address this problem. The dealer changed out the electrical unit to a tune of $600. I brought the car back to dealer for same issue, and was basically told they could not find anything wrong with the car.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 032014

G6

Electrical power steering goes out periodically when it gets very cold outside. This has been occurring for sometime now. If the temperature gets close to freezing outside the power steering shuts off a few after I first start up the vehicle and if I make very sharp turns it goes out. I never experience this issue when its warm outside. GM should be responsible for repairing this no matter if your vehicle is past 70000 miles. They failed by making and electrical power steering system in these year models which obviously they realized was a problem since the 2007 models have the traditional power steering pump.

- Irving, TX, USA

Sep 182013

G6

Headlight harness got corroded and will not make a solid connection.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Aug 222013

G6 6-cyl

As I was exiting on to an off ramp the steering locked up and I lost control momentarily at the same time not being able to slow down. The car eventually spun out and slowed down on its own. Then I waited and started it back up and it went.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Sep 302013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminated without pressing brake pedal and turn off once brake pedal is pushed. Also cruise control sometimes doesn't work and while on will suddenly turn off it's self. Windows also will not roll down/up sometimes from passenger door controlling.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Aug 182013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the headlights and wipers failed to function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the wiring harness had melted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 88,661.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Oct 012013

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights turn on buy themselves and turn off when brake pedal is applied. Gear shifter solenoid won't release out of park sometimes.

- Brookfield, IL, USA

Oct 062013

G6 4-cyl

I bought this car for my 16 year old daughter. There are a few common electrical problems all connected to the steering column apparently. It started with the key not wanting to move, first to start the car and then not being able to get the key out of the ignition. The radio fails intermittently. The latest is that the power assist steering fails intermittently. Extremely dangerous! sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've researched different sites and it seems to be a huge problem and connected to the electrical problems in the steering column. I'm told by mechanics it is a problem in almost all G-6's in 2006-2007 that have the power assist steering. Since it is such a safety issue, why is it not being recalled?

- Box Elder, SD, USA

Aug 222013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights are illuminating while driving without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal is pushed the brake lights turn off. The cruise control will turn on but it will not engage.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 252010

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights stayed on while car was moving and went out when brake pedal was depressed.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Aug 072013

G6

A chime was followed by "power steering" displayed on the dash. This has happened every time I start the car within the first 3-15 miles. I called the local GM dealer who said to bring the car to their service department and that it would cost $110 to analyze the problem. I found that GM has recalled this make, model and year. When is this going to happen in the United States?

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 072013

G6 6-cyl

Brakes are illuminated when foot is not on brake pedal and brake lights are off when foot is applied at the brake pedal. This is a safety issue!!!!! if needed to apply brakes in a fast manner a following car could rear-end the Pontiac G6. Obviously I'm not the only person with this issue. So why hasn't something been done to make Pontiac recall the brake sensor relay before people are involved in car accidents" the "recall" to add dielectric lubricant to the connector to prevent corrosion is not working!!!!! I should not have to worry about when my brakes lights are illuminated automatically. I have been to the dealership numerous times to have dielectric grease put on the connector. I really hope that the NHTSA can push this issue with the 2006 Pontiac G6 brake lights being illuminated while brake pedal is not pressed. Pontiac recalled the first 93 manufactured Pontiac G6's for 2006 but what about the others that have the same problem???????" exterior lighting:brake lights recall for 2006 Pontiac G6 recall announced: January 30 2009nhtsa reference: #09V036000number affected: 8,012summary: GM is recalling 8,012 my 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles. The brake lamps may not operate properly because of corrosion in a wiring connector. Corrosion in the connector could cause the brake lamps to illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control may not engage, and greater brake pedal force may be required to shift the vehicle out of park. Consequence: Brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning. Fix: Dealers will apply a dielectric lubricant to the connector to prevent corrosion. The recall began on February 17, 2009.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jan 012009

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights illuminates when pedal is not engaged, and goes out briefly when engaged my cruise control is not working as well. I became aware of this situation when in for inspection the car failed for the center mount stop light was not working due to burned and melted bulbs and holders. Being told I needed to fix. It became know as to the brake lights turning on when pedal is not engaged. I changed brake switch, problem still continued. I sought info on internet and came upon former recall of this, and recent complaints. I called GM dealer and was informed there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a safety issue and reason for bulb holders melting is from heat from being on all the time, my cruise control going out.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 022013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights illuminates when pedal is not engaged, and goes out briefly when engaged. I became aware of this situation when in for inspection the car failed for the center mount stop light was not working due to burned and melted bulbs and holders. Upon being told I needed to replace the whole unit, I took upon myself to get the aftermarket bulb holder and fix myself. Upon completion it became know as to the lights brake light turning on when pedal is not engaged. Changed brake switch, problem still continued. Seek info on internet and came upon former recall, and recent complaints. Called GM dealer and was informed there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a safety issue and reason for bulb holders melting is from heat from being on all the time.

- West Homestead, PA, USA

Jan 012009

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the brake lights illuminated independently. The contact depressed the accelerator and the brake lights illuminated. The brake lights failed when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the cruise control was inoperable. The vehicle was to the dealer, who stated that the body control module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 60,000. The current mileage was 92,000.

- Charlevoix, MI, USA

Dec 202012

G6 6-cyl

I work the night shift so I drive primarily at night when it's dark. My brake lights will light up when I take my foot off the brake, and then when I press the brake, the lights would not light up. At the same time all of this is happening my cruise control stopped working and when I would put my car in park it would sometimes be stuck and wouldn't come out of park.

- Elkton, MD, USA

May 162013

G6 4-cyl

I was on my way to a softball game, was going 65 on the fast lane, and all of sudden I read power steering on the radio, the car was still on but the gas didn't want to go and my wheel was tensed, there was a lot of traffic but I managed to get it to the left shoulder without causing an accident. The car was towed and has been parked ever since.

- Robstown , TX, USA

Oct 242009

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control would not work. Also discovered that the brake light would not work at times. I took it to the dealer for service. He said that the brake pedal sensor needed recalibrated. This fixed the problem for about 6 months. Since then I have had the sensor replaced (3) times.

- Danville, IL, USA

Mar 012013

G6 4-cyl

Brake light circuit malfunctioning light on without brakes pressed go off when pressed can not shift vehicle from park without pressing brake pedal hard. Intermittent problem safety issue several complaints about these vehicles.

- Attalla, AL, USA